• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Game Awards 2020

pkmin3033

So, last night The Game Awards were streamed! You can watch the broadcast on the official site, here.

Any thoughts on the winners of each category? Any new titles announced that you're interested in or excited for? Do you feel the Game Awards are even relevant/important? Discuss!

Personally, as someone who played Hades and adored it, I'm glad it got some recognition...and as someone who played the FFVII Remake and didn't, I'm disgusted that it did.

Lysander

girl power ftw
    Years
    Never been overly interested in the GOTY awards before, hard to watch it live when it takes place across midnight in my timezone. I watched the start of it to see who was being added to Smash Bros (and was left pretty dissapointed).

Personally think The Last of Us 2 more than deserved the awards it won.

Pyrax

Midnight Guest
    Years
    • he/him
    • UK
    • Seen yesterday
    I'm more surprised Animal Crossing wasn't GOTY considering its release and popularity during early lockdown.

Personally think The Last of Us 2 more than deserved the awards it won.

Gotta have to agree. Action/Adventure and Best Audio Design over DOOM Eternal and Ghost of Tsushima? I don't even hate TLOU2, I just think those two were more deserving. At least Tsushima won some awards unlike DOOM. Tbh the whole stream felt like it gave preferential treatment to Naughty Dog? The whole "#TeamEllie vs #TeamAbbie" discussion just rubbed me off the wrong way.

Last edited:

Setsuna

♡ I hope the world~
    Years
    I don't really watch the Game Awards but I know quite a few people who do, and it seemed like those people were pretty angry about how it went. They seemed pretty upset saying TLO2 was undeserving, and especially upset Among Us won a category over Genshin Impact.

It just generally seemed to me that people were disappointed in it, and I'm sure the only reason some people watched it was for the Smash reveal.

Years
    When it came to the award for the best character I was shocked that Abby won, would have preffered Ellie or Jin winning myself.

As for the game of the year category for any award show, I really don't care about that since I really don't have a fave game for any given year, any games I like I view as just as good as any other.

Honestly mainly watched for the new game trailers shown throughout the show. I will say Microsoft's Perfect Dark reboot reveal was by far the worst shown at the show imo, didn't leave me a good impression for Microsoft's new studio.

Years
    I don't dislike The Last of Us franchise but I kinda hate how it won basically everything it was nominated for. Especially things like direction and impact... no. I don't think they should be rewarded for typical AAA 80 hour crunch work weeks and making their artists reference real gore to make the violence more "realistic." Also as someone who enjoys playing Genshin Impact I'm glad it wasn't awarded anything either due to the dev's failure to respond to concerns about their frankly abysmal account security.

Years
    I never really paid attention to Game Awards or any popularity polls that are trying to look like a big deal. But this year someone mentioned it during voting phase, so I went in and voted, since I had some free time.

Out of all GoTY nominees, I think TLoU2 is the last game that deserves it. How can games, that are basically universally loved, lose to a game that was a centre of probably a biggest conflict this year? But I have to give a credit, where credit is due. I think the only rewards that TLoU2 should have get are the Best Audio Design one and Innovation in Accessibility. Audio design there was perfect. And the game has so many different sliders to make it accessable to everyone.

I'm a little bit sad that Doom didn't win Best Soundtrack, but FF7 remake is fine as winner. I'm happy to see Hades get few rewards.

But the best part were trailers for new games.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    i love the last of us pt. 2, however i can also recognize glaring flaws, especially behind the scenes in the creation and i think it absolutely did not deserve best direction. i like the finished product and i like the story they told, despite the disappointments. i truly appreciate wanting to tell a story that isn't heartwarming or happy, but it's just what happens in a world like that. but it's the practices of the company that leave me sour. the game was behind so much scrutiny for it. it deserved recognition, sure, but it did feel like the awards were unfairly geared towards them and it's especially gross considering what ex-employees have spoken on. however, i'm really glad laura bailey won for her performance as abby. i think abby is a fantastic character and she did an amazing job with her and put up with way too much shit from the community in the face of harassment and threats because of what her character does. she deserved that win.

i didn't really keep up with much else, we popped in to watch at one point bc a streamer we like was streaming it, but we didn't see all that much. i'm not big on awards shows personally, i think they're largely garbage anyway (looking at you grammy's) so i don't put too much stock into it.

Vragon2.0

Say it with me (Vray-gun)
    Years
    Nothing much, just the show reminding me of what a joke it is when it comes to assessing content. At least the Devolver Digital Skit was good and they had some good world premiers.

Back