• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Challenge] The Monotype Challenge Re:Returns

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duck

🦆 quack quack
Years
    • Age 34
    • he, they
    • Seen Feb 23, 2023
    User: The Smooth Lefty
    Type: Physic
    Game(s): Sapphire
    Single / Ultimate: Single

Going to give this a try. Will post updates as I go

I'm assuming you meant Psychic, but other than that, OP updated.

Anybody let me know if your changes aren't up there.

AngeltheTogekiss468

Togekiss Queen
    Years
    • Age 20
    • She/Her
    • USA
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Soul Silver Update 2:

Gyms Completed:
    Faulkner
    Bugsy

Current Team:
    Bunga - Quilava
    Slave ‐ Furret
    Slave - Mareep

I went through Route 32, Union Cave, and Route 33, fighting all the trainers. On Route 32, I caught a Mareep to use as a Flash slave. I fought Team Rocket in the Slowpoke Well, and then challenged Bugsy's gym. My Sentret HM slave evolved into Furret, meaning I no longer need to have it in the front slot (yes, I was complying with the challenge rules by not using it in combat against trainer Pokémon). I defeated Bugsy easily with Bunga.

Before going into Ilex Forest, I had to fight Cypher. The first time, I lost to his Croconaw, but I had more luck the second time and won. I went into Ilex Forest, did the Farfetch'd puzzle, and acquired the HM Cut. I went through the rest of Ilex Forest and Route 34, fighting the trainers on the way. I made it to Goldenrod City, healed at the Pokémon Center, and acquired the Radio Card, Bicycle, and Coin Case (in case I ever need a TM or held item from the Game Corner). I called it a day there.

Years
    • Age 40
    • Seen Apr 30, 2024
    Ultimate Rock Run
    White 2 / #1 / First Four Badges

Starting Pokemon: Roggenrola.
    Reason: Roggenrola and the Onix are the first two I can come across, in the Relic Passage. Roggenrola has a 34% chance, while Onix has a 5% chance. Therefore, Roggenrola it is.

Gonna try this during the run. In this post:
    1.) Start - Roggenrola (replaces Snivy)
    2.) Defeat Gyms 1 and 2
    3.) Get Onix in the Relic Passage
    4.) Defeat Gym 3
    5.) Get Dwebble in the Desert Resort
    6.) Defeat Gym 4

Roggenrola at the start is super nice. Of course, Rock at the start is usually good since most attacks are Normal. I'm able to quickly push through the opening without any grinding. By the time I start the Normal Gym, I'm already level 13. Tackle/Harden/Sand-Attack/Headbutt is a decent moveset at the beginning, but I get Rock Blast just before fighting Cheren at level 14, so I start using that for the STAB.

From there, a bunch of fights on my way to the Poison Gym, and I do lose the first attempt, but that's because I stupidly didn't heal up at the PokeCenter before attempting the gym, so I ran out of attacks. Second time around, it's very straightforward to take down, but I get poisoned a few times and that drains my health. I end up having to pop a few Super Potions to stay up, but I get the second badge in the end.

Trying to get Onix turns out to be a pain in the butt. 5% is pretty nice in the long run, but I ran out of Pokeballs the first attempt, so I had to reset and get more. I caught it the second time. I stopped off to get the Exp Share, and plopped it on Onix. Time for the third gym, which turns out to be a pain for me. Well, Burgh. Razor Leaf is a painful move. I can withstand two of them as Roggenrola as long as it doesn't crit. So, I decide to use Iron Defense a bunch of times to help hold off the damage, healing when necessary, and that's finally what gets me through Burgh's team.

I can finally head up towards the fourth gym, but I need to stop off and pick up Dwebble in the Desert Resort. Dwebble is a much lower level than my team (19 versus 26 for Roggenrola, or rather, Boldore, and 24 for Onix), so I move the Exp Share over to it. I make certain to heal up at the PokeCenter before going after the gym. A lot of Rock Throwing later, the Electric gym badge is mine.

Just for fun, the rest of this Ultimate Run will be the first names of U.S. Presidents (or their First Ladies). So, my Boldore is Martha, Onix is Abigail, and Dwebble is Thomas.

After the fourth badge:
    Martha the L27 Boldore
    Abigail the L27 Onix
    Thomas the L24 Dwebble

AngeltheTogekiss468

Togekiss Queen
    Years
    • Age 20
    • She/Her
    • USA
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Soul Silver Update 3:

Gyms Completed:
    Faulkner
    Bugsy
    Whitney

Current Team:
    Rusty - Flareon
    Foxy - Vulpix
    Blarrg - Slugma
    Bunga - Quilava
    Slave - Furret

I went all the way back to Violet City to get the Slugma egg from Primo after I was reminded about it by someone on the forums (thank you very much kind internet stranger!), then went back to Goldenrod City. I rode around on the Bicycle until it hatched. Then I went back to Route 34 and trained the Slugma up some. I went through the trainers in Whitney's gym, then tried challenging Whitney…only to lose to her Miltank.

So, I went and fought the trainers in Route 35, National Park, and Route 36 to level up Blarrg some more. After a while (including acquiring the Quick Claw in National Park, which I gave to Blarrg), I decided Blarrg was at a high enough level to use. I challenged Whitney once again, making short work of her Clefairy using Blarrg, then used Yawn on Miltank before switching to Bunga. It was then I discovered Miltank was holding a Lum Berry, completely derailing my plan to put Miltank to sleep…but luckily for me, a Flame Wheel from Bunga burned the annoying cow, which proved to be a big help, as this meant she could not do as much damage to Bunga. Adding to my luck, she never once used Rollout, only Stomp, Milk Drink, and Attract. Thus, while the battle was still tedious and infuriating, I was actually able to roast that Miltank this time.

Having won the battle, I acquired the watering can and left for Ecruteak City, catching a Vulpix on Route 36, defeating the Sudowoodo by having Foxy use Roar on it, and fighting the trainers on Route 37. I met Bill in the Ecruteak Pokémon Center, and went back to Goldenrod City to get the Eevee. With that out of the way, I tried to get a Fire Stone. First I tried (and failed) to win the Bug-Catching Contest, and it was only after that did I find out that they only give evolution stones as prizes for that after you get the National Dex. However, there was still another way: the Pokéathlon on Tuesday. And luckily for me, today is Tuesday! So, I went to the stadium, and just played the events (I got pretty good at the Power events) until I racked up enough points to buy the Fire Stone. I used it on Rusty, evolving him into a Flareon, and went back to Ecruteak City. I went to the Burnt Tower to do some training and catch a Magmar. I fought against Cypher, losing the first time to his Croconaw, but I had more luck the second time and won. I did some training in the Burnt Tower, fighting the two Firebreathers there in the process, until I got bored, left, and called it a day at the Ecruteak Pokémon Center.

AngeltheTogekiss468

Togekiss Queen
    Years
    • Age 20
    • She/Her
    • USA
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Soul Silver Update 4:

Gyms Completed:
    Faulkner
    Bugsy
    Whitney
    Morty

Current Team:
    Elmo - Magmortar
    Rusty - Flareon
    Blarrg - Slugma
    Bunga - Quilava
    Slave - Furret

I went back to the Burnt Tower and soon caught a Magmar. I traded him to my Platinum save (not deleting that until it's time to play it for this challenge), then traded him back with a Magmarizer (is this technically allowed? Someone please tell if it is or not! The way that rule about trade evolutions is worded weirdly to me, and if what I did isn't allowed, I will stop using the Magmortar!) so he would evolve into Magmortar, giving me an nice powerful Fire-type. I did training on Routes 38 and 39, then went to Route 42 and acquired the HM for Strength. I went back to Ecruteak City, and fought the Team Rocket Grunt in the Dance Theater. Then, I went to challenge Morty's gym. I went through all the trainers, then fought Morty himself, mainly using Elmo, who knew Faint Attack. After winning, I went back to the Ecruteak Pokémon Center and called it a day.

Explorer of Time

Advocate of Ideals
    Years
  • Soul Silver Update 4:(is this technically allowed? Someone please tell if it is or not! The way that rule about trade evolutions is worded weirdly to me, and if what I did isn't allowed, I will stop using the Magmortar!)

I believe it's allowed so long as one of two conditions are met:

A: Under rule 10, you already had the trade evolution item in your original game.

B: Under rule 12, you can trade in a trade evolution item if, and only if, you can't obtain the evolution item until the postgame.

That being said, the only way to get a Magmarizer before Cinnabar (late in the postgame) in HGSS is to use an event-exclusive Pokewalker route, so I would say it's allowed.

AngeltheTogekiss468

Togekiss Queen
    Years
    • Age 20
    • She/Her
    • USA
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Soul Silver Update 5:

Gyms Completed:
    Faulkner
    Bugsy
    Whitney
    Morty
    Chuck
    Jasmine

Current Team:
    Blarrg - Slugma
    Bunga - Quilava
    Rusty - Flareon
    Elmo - Magmortar
    Slave - Furret
    Slave - Mareep

I made my way to Olivine City, and did some training in the Lighthouse. Once I got to Jasmine and got the mission to get the Secret Potion from Cianwood City, I left the Lighthouse and surfed to Cianwood City, fighting the trainers on Routes 40 and 41 for some extra training. I retrieved the Secret Potion, went back to Olivine City, and gave it to Jasmine in the Lighthouse. After that, I did some training on Routes 39 and 40.

Funny story, I mixed up the order Chuck and Jasmine are in, and fought Jasmine before Chuck! I still beat Jasmine on the first attempt, but boy, was I thrown off by her level 35 Steelix! After beating her, I surfed to Cianwood City, and fought through Chuck's gym. During the fight with Chuck, I struggled to beat his Poliwrath, but eventually I was able to knock it down with Rusty's Strength. I acquired Fly, flew to Ecruteak City, went to the Pokémon Center, and called it a day.

Years
    • Age 40
    • Seen Apr 30, 2024
    Ultimate Rock Run
    White 2 / #2 / Badges 5-7

In this post:
    1.) Pick up Nosepass, evolve to Probopass
    2.) Defeat Gym 5 - Ground Gym
    3.) Pick up Aron
    4.) Defeat Gym 6 - Flying Gym
    5.) Getting to Opelucid City
    6.) Defeat Gym 7 - Dragon Gym

After a quick jaunt over to Driftveil, I worked on some of the first trainers and realized I'm going to need additional help. So, I quickly jaunt over to Chargestone Cave and pick up a Nosepass. I went ahead and evolved it into Probopass, because in the main game, I need levels more than types, even through Ground will be even worse against Probopass. However, I went ahead and trained everybody up until they were in the early 30s, because the best thing I can use right now is Dwebble evolved into Crustle. Crustle being Rock/Bug means neutral damage from Ground.

However, that doesn't mean it's easy, because if Crustle goes down, I can't do much. I avoid using any Rock moves, for once, and just spam everything I can that does the most damage possible. Onix's only use is for Screech. Whatever Screech uses I can get off help. This is one battle where I don't really have many options, so I just have to brute force my way through it. Takes about ten tries, but I finally make it through...with only Crustle still unfainted.

After the gym is complete, I get to do all the stuff about chasing down Team Plasma on the ship, which results in me getting Surf from Cheren. This is beneficial, because now I go onto the bridge and pick up a Ducklett so I can use both Surf and Fly on one Pokemon not. Using Surf, I can now go to Mistralton Cave on the way to Chargestone and pick up an Aron. Nothing much to say going through Chargestone.

Mistralton Gym? Pfft. Rock to the face on everything. The biggest challenge here is Skarmory, because the Steel typing throws off super effective damage from my Rock moves. Rock is really turning into the "Hulk Smash" run. If you can't hope to outstrategize it, just smash it with your best moves. Skyla took one attempt, though Onix is quickly finding itself not useful. I know my next two are Lunatone and Solrock, so I'm probably going to swap out Onix for them.

After getting the Professor from the Tower and the quickly flight to Lentimas Town, I go ahead and push right through Reversal Mountain. Three times, since I had to keep going back to heal up. At the other end is Undella, where I heal up, and save. Just in time, too - Hugh's back for another battle.

Unfezant - Rock moves. Simipour - spam Rock moves, then switch to Probopass and use an Electric move (since SpAtk > Atk here). I use Iron Defense and Headbutt from Boldore against Emboar. No issues here, since Emboar doesn't have any Fighting moves.

Next Route, I pick up Lunatone and Solrock. Yay. Onix goes to the box, and my team that takes me to through the 7th Gym is now: Crustle, Boldore, Proboass, Lunatone, and Solrock. Sixth slot is Ducklett. Team's gotta surf when team's gotta surf. There's another town (no big), another fight due to Hugh's stupidity, and then I'm off towards Opelucid City.

I fight every battle here to get as much experience as possible, then decide to go back out to the previous Route and just train and train until my entire team is in the mid-40s. Gonna need it for Drayden's team.

This is, unfortunately, another one of those "do as much damage as possible" battles. What I ended up doing to win, though, was brute force my way to Haxorus, then use Sand-Attack as much as possible to bring accuracy down as low as possible. After that, I switch over to Lunatone and use Cosmic Power six times to boost my defensive capabilities. So, from there, it's a matter of Psychic and Stone Edge, and I win.

My party as of this point:
    Dolley the L49 Probopass
    Andrew the L47 Lunatone
    Thomas the L46 Crustle
    John the L44 Solrock
    Martha the L41 Boldore

Years
    • Age 24
    • Seen Aug 3, 2023
    User: LucarioBread
    Type: Steel
    Game(s): FireRed

This is going to be my first monotype challenge. Will post about my attempts in the Travel Journals section!

AngeltheTogekiss468

Togekiss Queen
    Years
    • Age 20
    • She/Her
    • USA
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Soul Silver Update 6:

Gyms Completed
    Faulkner
    Bugsy
    Whitney
    Morty
    Chuck
    Jasmine
    Pryce

Current Team
    Bunga - Typhlosion
    Rusty - Flareon
    Elmo - Magmortar
    Blarrg - Magcargo
    Slave - Furret

I left Ecruteak City and went through Route 42 and Mt. Mortar, fighting the trainers on the way. I made it to Mahogany Town, and went into Route 43, fighting the trainers in there on my way to the Lake of Rage. At the Lake of Rage, I fought the Red Gyarados and beat it. I went back to Mahogany Town, and fought Team Rocket under the "Souvenir Shop". After that, I went to challenge Pryce's gym, beating him on the first try thanks to my Fire Types.

I flew to Goldenrod City, then went into the Radio Tower, fighting everyone I could. I then went to the Underground Tunnel and entered the locked area with the Basement Key. I fought through the Team Rocket grunts and Burglars, and soon reached the room with the Director. I got the Card Key from him, then went back to the Radio Tower to enter the locked area. I fought everyone I could there, with both Blarrg and Bunga evolving after I beat Arianna, and got the Silver Wing from the Director. I went to the Goldenrod City Pokémon Center, and called it a day there.

Last edited:

Explorer of Time

Advocate of Ideals
    Years
  • User: Explorer of Time
    Type: Poison
    Game(s): Crystal (Perfect Crystal 2020 romhack)

Pokemon Perfect Crystal 2020: Mono-Poison
    Sage Bella, Update 1 (New Bark Town -> Violet City Gym):

Now that my Trainer Personality Challenge is over, I'm starting a Pokemon Crystal monotype, this time as a Poison-type trainer. The romhack I'm using this time, as usual, is a QOL hack, this time called Perfect Crystal 2020. It makes trade evos evolve from stones (with the only relevant Pokemon, Haunter, evolving with a Moon Stone), adds evolution stones to the Goldenrod Dept. Store, and rebalances the level curve to match HGSS. It also makes Gym Leaders rematchable for grinding. And, finally, it adds in all the version exclusives, Gen 1 Starters, Gen 1 Fossils, and Gen 1 Legendaries, so that players can complete the Pokedex, though the only added Pokemon I can use is Venusaur, which I don't want to use because I would rather use Victreebel as my Grass/Poison-type.

Gen 2 allows you to catch a whopping five Poison types before even reaching Violet City, However, their movepools are... uh... not good. Most of them don't have any moves with more than 20 base power, and I'd kill to even teach them Tackle of all things. However, I can still inflict a wide array of status conditions for such an early team, including Confusion, Poison, Sleep, and Paralysis, with varying degrees of accuracy. I plan to keep Bellsprout, Ghastly, and Zubat the whole game, but switch Spinarak and Beedrill out for a Venomoth and Nidoqueen once I get to National Park. I also plan to catch a Tentacool very soon, as my sixth team member.

Falkner was a very difficult Gym Leader, owing to the increased level from Perfect Crystal. I tried a sleep/confusion-based strategy three times, coming close but not actually taking down his Lv. 13 Pidgeotto, but the fourth time I had my Beedrill set up Harden six times while fighting Pidgey, which made it tough enough to not get 2HKOed by Pidgeotto, then poisoned it and switched between Fury Attack and healing it with Potions.

Current Team:

Spoiler:

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 40
    • Seen Apr 30, 2024
    Ultimate Rock Run
    White 2 / Final / Badge 8 through the Champion

One of the biggest benefits to having already completed a Bug run is that I can do comparisons. Comparisons due to type differences are that while Bugs are squishy, Rock types are easily taken down by a single Water move. Bugs tend to spend time boosting their attack power, but Rocks spend more time boosting defensive capabilities. The other big difference is that while it felt like Bug moves are more accurate but less powerful, Rock moves are just the worst when they miss. Lots of damage, but nowhere near as accurate. One nice thing is that there's usually more type variety for secondary types. My final team ended up being /Bug, /Psychic (x2), and /Steel. Much better than /Flying.

As for swapping from BW to B2W2 for the run, I noticed I definitely prefer BW over B2W2, because the latter portion of B2W2 is just brutal. There's just so much going on with regards to Team Plasma. I know the endgame is usually like that for pretty much all of them, but it just seemed like such a slog this time around.

Alright, Gym 8. Guess what ended up happening? Sand-Attack -> Cosmic Power -> Solarbeam. I tried so many variations of order of throwing out Pokemon, orders of using moves, but I only found any luck doing this. The problem with it is that one Crit brings the whole thing down. One thing I'm probably going to focus on in Gen 6's run is prioritizing building up Defense instead of either just fighting whatever OR training Attack stats. I'm also going to try to actively try to avoid spamming Cosmic Power. It's useful if you can set it up since it boosts both Defense and Special Defense in one move, but it's so boring to do it. What's next? Double Team spamming?

I then have the fun of finishing up the Plasma storyline, and I get to the almighty gatekeeper himself, Ghetsis. First time I tried, I was around 48-50 for my team, and it was not enough. The sweeper on his team was Seismitoad, for obvious reasons: Muddy Water? Super Effective. Earthquake? Super Effective. Drain Punch? Super Effective. The end result was that I went through a continual circle of Sand-Attack as much as possible, then Crustle goes down. Revive Crustle, and continue the Sand-Attack until all 6 uses are done. Then Solarbeam for the 4x. I trained until I was level 53 on everyone, and that's what finally let me get by.

All that after a hilarious crit on Stone Edge to knock out the Kyurem before that battle...

I am basically low on funds at this point, so I make a quick push through Victory "Road". More like Victory "Dark Caves". But, it's super short if you just head straight for the Elite Four. I wanted to push through to them just to focus on grinding against them for as much money as possible. I wanted to build up my stock of Revives and Hyper Potions and Full Heals.

Let's simplify all of this: I start the Elite Four around 63. I end the game at an average of 71. Jeez.

The two I can relatively easily knock out are Grimsley and Caitlin due to having X-Scissor on Crustle. I start with Caitlin since it's a more sure thing - only Sigilyph is different and that's just a smack of Rock Wrecker to end that battle. Then I move on to Grimsley. Scrafty requires a few Sand-Attacks to get through, but the rest are fairly straightforward. I take on Marshall next and just focus on using Lunatone and Solrock and spamming their Psychic moves because, well, why not? Shauntal is the one where I felt my only real option was to spam my most powerful moves and hope. I save after each one, and eventually reach a point where I get through them all in one shot, albeit with still having to Revive and Hyper Potion after each battle.

Iris, however, was a different matter. When I first reached here, I was 68. As I stated above, I ended at 71, so it took me five attempts to finally get there. Here's the rundown on what happened during the final winning attempt.

Hydreigon - I. Hate. Surf. It ended quite a number of runs. Sand-Attack. Sand-Attack. Sand-Attack, etc. Then switch over to Solrock when Crustle gets knocked out. Cosmic Power up. The goal here is to take out as many of Iris's team before Solrock goes down. It takes three Hyper Potions before I manage to get all 6 Cosmic Power used. Then, spam Stone Edge with Solrock to take it down.

Druddigon - Spam Psychic, using Hyper Potions as needed.

Aggron - I debated which of my moves (SolarBeam, Stone Edge, or Psychic) would be best, but decided to just focus on Psychic. On one hand, it's STAB, but on the other hand, SolarBeam prevents me from healing if I need to on the recharge turn.

Haxorus - Spam Psychic. I ended up needing to use my only Max Elixir to recharge my Solrock's PP at this point. Haxorus took 2 Psychic and was on a sliver, and albeit faster, decided to use Dragon Dance. I'm like..."uh...okay?"

Lapras - SolarBeam is Super Effective but not STAB. At this point, I make a risky decision to just spam attacks. Lapras is going to go down fairly quickly (especially when I use Stone Edge), but now I've got three remaining Pokemon to help take down Archeops when it comes out. Lapras does indeed finally get a crit Surf to take out my Solrock, but I throw Boldore in there. It has Sturdy, so although it gets hit by a Surf, it also takes out Lapras in return.

Alright, Archeops. Can you say Rock-spam? Yep, Rock moves with my Lunatone and Probopass net me the victory.

B2W2's opening was relatively easy, but it kept getting more and more challenging by the end. True, that's what you want in a game, but I wasn't kidding when I said it was a slog. Here's the rundown on my ending team:

Thomas / L72 Crustle / Sand-Attack, Rock Wrecker, Rock Slide, X-Scissor
    Martha / L68 Boldore / Stone Edge, Iron Defense, Bulldoze, Strength
    Andrew / L71 Lunatone / Heal block, Stone Edge, Cosmic Power, Psychic
    Dolley / L71 Probopass / Power Gem, Earth Power, Rest, Zap Cannon
    John / L70 Solrock / SolarBeam, Stone Edge, Cosmic Power, Psychic

You can see most of these movesets are from level-learnset. I've been trying to do as little of planning this time on movesets, and just trying to push my way through unless I hit a wall and need to look at what TMs I have. I don't know if that's something that will continue to change, but while I'm okay with letting myself focus on certain EVs when training, I don't know what would be the catalyst to change that.

But, time to move on to the Kalos region. Looking at the first time I can get a Rock type, it looks like Glittering Cave. My choices are Onix (10%), Rhyhorn (10%), Lunatone (10%), and Solrock (10%). I've used Solrock quite a bit recently, Onix and Rhyhorn all over the place (Onix, of course, not being useful except at the start since I can't allow it to evolve), so I'm going to go with a Lunatone to start. It'll take some time to set that up, of course, and I need a break anyways after the final push through B2W2. I might think twice about B2W2 next time.

Years
    • Age 21
    • Seen Dec 12, 2023
    Been a while since I've done a challenge aside from the Shiny Route. So how about this!

User: Pok3pals
    Type: Psychic
    Game(s): Shield

AngeltheTogekiss468

Togekiss Queen
    Years
    • Age 20
    • She/Her
    • USA
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Soul Silver Update 7:

Gyms Completed
    Faulkner
    Bugsy
    Whitney
    Morty
    Chuck
    Jasmine
    Pryce
    Clair

Current Team
    Blarrg - Magcargo
    Rusty - Flareon
    Elmo - Magmortar
    Bunga - Typhlosion
    Slave - Furret
    Slave - Pidgey

I flew back to Mahogany Town and went through Route 44, fighting the trainers there. I made it through the Ice Cave into Blackthorn City, and did more training in the Ice Cave, on Route 45, and in the Dark Cave. I also fought the trainers in Clair's gym, and after some extra training after repeatedly failing to beat Clair, as well as teaching Bunga Solar Beam and Sunny Day using TM's, I finally beat Clair. I went through the Dragon's Den, fighting the trainers in there, then made it to where the master was, took the test, and got the Rising Badge from Clair.

I left the Dragon's Den and got the call from Professor Elm. I flew to New Bark Town, went into Professor Elm's lab, and received the Master Ball and the information that I must go to the Ecruteak Dance Theater. So I flew to Ecruteak City, entered the Pokémon Center, and called it a day there.

Explorer of Time

Advocate of Ideals
    Years
  • Pokemon Perfect Crystal 2020: Mono-Poison
    Sage Bella, Update 2 (Route 32 -> Azalea Town):

I caught a Tentacool as my sixth Pokemon in Route 32. It's still pretty weak for now, but it's nice to have a second Pokemon that can confuse enemies, and it can poison them as well. Bellsprout just learned Sleep Powder, which is also useful. Ghastly learned Spite, which is situational, and Curse, which is going to be useful later, but I haven't had the chance to use it yet. Zubat took a huge step up after learning both Bite and Swift, taking it from being my weakest offensive Pokemon to one of my strongest. Beedrill learned Swift and Fury Cutter, both better than what it had, but it's not going to stick around for much longer so it doesn't matter much. And finally, I also didn't even bother leveling my Spinarak because it's been pretty much useless, even though it's my first Poison-type Pokemon. My bugs are going to be replaced by a Female Nidoran and a Venonat once I make it to National Park.

Team Rocket was easy to deal with, but my Rival was tougher. The battle was a complicated affair where I mostly used Supersonic and Poison Sting to slowly whittle away his Quilava's health, and five of my six Pokemon fainted in the process (though I used my one revive). Bugsy was easier; I managed to paralyze his Scyther with my Gastly's Lick, which stopped him from building up Fury Cutter to the point where it could actually hurt me. Then, I used Spite a few times, just to be safe, and depleted all of Fury Cutter's PP. Finally, with Bugsy's Scyther unable to do anything but Leer, my Gastly spent around a dozen turns using Lick on it until it fainted.

Current Team:

Spoiler:

Years
    • Age 21
    • Seen Dec 12, 2023
    Pokemon Shield Psychic Run!
    Badges: 1/8

Storytime!

So, we are beginning our adventure of just psychic types! Honestly I had no clue why I decided to use psychic types, but something from the near future probably conditioned this event to happen. From thoughts to the few tarot card reading videos that have suspiciously been popping up to the lead up of this decision. So yeah, an interesting segway, but back onto the challenge! I had originally thought that gaining a pokemon of this type would be a bit of a challenge. The pokemon I thought I would be getting first would have been something in the wild area like a Natu or possibly Elgyem or if I had to wait till the mines to gain a Woobat. Those thoughts were soon out the window though as I had completly forgot about our little pal, Blipbug. Who is just a bug type at this time, but it does gain the bug/psychic typing when evolving so that was team member number one! Of course I had to debate on whether or not I would be using the DLC areas or not as they have a wider selection of pokemon to choose from. And this made me think of the second teammate, Slowpoke. As yes it is only accessible with the DLC, but all I had to do was go to the train station and bada bing bada boom we got the derp. I may consider evolving this derp into either Slowbro or Slowking, but that depends on how the team is looking and whether I want to drag him all the way to the 6th or 7th gym where I can get the cuff or crown for it to evolve. If not then guess we're going to be eating good with some Slowpoke Tail Curry. Course we aren't telling him about this plan as uh....we still kind of need him. And talking about someone we kind of needed, we needed Woobat. As...well....it's Woobat. Psychic and flying, friendship evolution, can attract every single pokemon to do it's bidding and through Shota Todoroki's father at the opponents to create a fair fight. Thought that Xatu or Natu would be a better choice? No, as it would just stand around waiting for it's own demise rather than fighting and getting stronger to where the demise would be the gender difference it once had in the 2d games. Like honestly, glad this one got a 3D model to show off it's stripes instead of being one pixel colored differently. But, with this team of three we were able to stomp on Milo very easily. Attracting the Eldegoss, making some bugs struggle with Gossifleur and making Milo waste a dynamax! And to celebrate this occasion, we kidnapped a punching bag. And we named him Wobbuffet. Did I completely forget that Wobbuffet was in the game? Yes, yes I did, but we have him so end of the story. Course it might be the end of his story though as what I thought was a good counter to the dark gym turned out to be a complete failure as I just found out, mirror coat has no effect on Dark types. Which someone with a more intelligent brain could've told me this, but I had never used Wobbuffet or Mirror Coat. So I was sadly disappointed by this fact. But, we dragged our disappointment to Hulbury and I now await in the pokemon center. Waiting for the day Team Rocket robs it so I can give them back Wobbuffet and issue an apology for stealing a staple member of their team.

Team!
    dottler.png

LVL:20
    Ability: Compound Eyes
    Nature: Hardy
    Moveset
    Struggle Bug
    Reflect
    Light Screen
    Confusion
    Stats
    HP:54
    Attack:25
    Defense:38
    Special Attack:26
    Special Defense:42
    Speed:23

woobat.png

LV.21
    Ability:Klutz
    Nature:Modest
    Moveset
    Attract
    Confusion
    Endeavor
    Air Cutter
    Stats
    HP:58
    Attack:25
    Defense:26
    Special Attack:31
    Special Defense:29
    Speed:38

wobbuffet.png

LV.22
    Ability:Shadow Tag
    Nature:Lonely
    Moveset
    Counter
    Mirror Coat
    Safeguard
    Destiny Bond
    Stats
    HP:121
    Attack:27
    Defense:29
    Special Attack:24
    Special Defense:36
    Speed:21

slowpoke-galarian.png

LV.18
    Ability:Gluttony
    Nature:Gentle
    Moveset
    Disable
    Water Pulse
    Yawn
    Confusion
    Stats
    HP:60
    Attack:32
    Defense:26
    Special Attack:21
    Special Defense:25
    Speed:10

Last edited:

AngeltheTogekiss468

Togekiss Queen
    Years
    • Age 20
    • She/Her
    • USA
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Soul Silver Update 8:

Gyms Completed
    Faulkner
    Bugsy
    Whitney
    Morty
    Chuck
    Jasmine
    Pryce
    Clair

Current Team
    Spoiler:

I went into the Ecruteak Dance Theater and fought all the Kimono Girls. I was given the Tidal Bell and was instructed to go to the Whirl Islands. I flew to Cianwood City, surfed on the water, and went into the Whirl Islands, making my way to the part where I'd fight Lugia. I went and beat Lugia, then left to New Bark Town. I surfed to Route 27, and made my way through Routes 27 and 26, fighting the trainers and catching a Ponyta on the way. I went through Victory Road, fighting the wild Pokémon there, and fought my rival Cypher near the exit. After doing some more training (as well as grinding for a couple of Heart Scales for future use), I went into the lobby for the Elite Four, healed, and called it a day.

Years
    • Age 40
    • Seen Apr 30, 2024
    Ultimate Rock Run
    Y / 1st Entry / First Four Badges

The fun setup: Go into my Pokemon X, breed a Lunatone egg, trade it to my wife's game, then trade it to my Pokemon Y cart after starting a new game. I decided to pick Fennekin so the others would pick Chespin and Froakie. Gotta make life hard on me. Once I got the Lunatone egg on my game, it's time to run back and forth down Route 1 until it hatches. Was doing other stuff, so it took about 75 minutes to do. No bike, no skates. Just running. Finally, it hatches, and my wife's suggestion was to just nickname them One, Two, Three, etc. I went, "Okay, so Lunatone...name it one because the last three letters are One?"

Welcome to the "Last 3" run.

I'll be stuck with Lunatone until I get to Glittering Cave, where I'll then pick up the rest of the team that I'm going to run with: Solrock, Rhydon, Dwebble, Binacle, and Amaura. I'm going to train them all using the Special Training on just Defense and Special Defense, just to see if that helps my chances throughout the run. Rock types are semi-defensive, but sometimes I feel like it would have been nice to have more defense. Of course, this adds time to the clock. The start isn't that bad as it's just Lunatone, but I know it'll take quite some time to train up the remainder of my team. This time, I'm planning to only run with these six. I've got two /Psychic, a /Bug, a /Ice, a /Water, and a /Ground.

Starting out with Rock Throw / Tackle / Harden / Confusion is actually a rather nice start to the game. The first gym being Bug means Rock Throw is going to get me through with relative ease. I train up to L10 before going in to the gym, and I don't have much of a problem at all. I breeze through it, and gnab my first badge.

One quick push to Lumiose later, and I'm having to fight to pick a Gen 1 starter. In the words of AVGN: "Why do I gotta do that?" C'mon, Professor, you see I'm doing a monotype run here...Anyways, do that, do the Parfum Palace stuff, and then the battle with Snorlax...where I facepalm because I forgot to drop by the Center after all of that. So, a quick restart and I take care of that and then back to wipe the floor with it. About ten minutes later, I find myself at Ambrette Town.

I grab myself Rock Smash, teach it to the Squirtle I got, and then I go on a hunt for Dwebble, since I can get that before heading to Glittering Cave. Along the way, I also gnab a Binacle. It takes a bit for both to spawn, but I eventually do get both. One twenty minute training session later (since I unlocked Level 2 and pushed hard on that and had saved a bunch of large bags saved up to speed things up), and I have half my team ready to go other than level.

Over in Glittering Cave, I can pick up two new Pokemon and one fossil. I get Solrock and Rhydon, training each up before getting the next one. I've made sure to turn off the Exp Share so I don't accidentally get some EVs where I don't want them, at least until I've got no EVs left to train, then who cares, right? So, get through that first round of Team Flare, and I get my fossil so I can get Amaura, the final part of my team. I debated on whether to take Tyrunt, but in the end I wanted to try out Refrigerator as an ability. Normal types becoming STAB Ice types and having a boost is an interesting ability.

Up in Cyllage City is my next gym, and if Grant thinks he's a "Rock specialist" of sorts, time to change that perspective. Between the Ice barrage of Amaura and the Water deluge from Binacle, I take down the gym pretty quick. I had trained all my team up to at least 20, and my Exp Share is back on and will stay on the rest of the time unless I find a need to not have it on. I'm basically fighting everything now for the rather free xp.

Geosenge Town...nothing new here, really. Just a stop on the way to Shalour City and my next badge. Reflection Cave is the first point that I have to backtrack and stock up on Revives in the game. I know there's a trainer there that will heal me up, but might as well stock up now.

In Shalour, I battle Serena. I'm already starting to see where my challenge with her team is going to be. I'm focusing on using Dwebble here, because Meowstic and Absol are both weak to Bug moves, and once Frogadier evolves, it will be similarly weak. Frogadier is fast, and Water Pulse is powerful to my team. I can mitigate the damage using Binacle if needed, but I guess it is what it is. If training is needed, then so be it. I can't make my defensive capabilities any better than they are without breeding for better IVs, and I don't really want to do that.

At first glance, a Fighting type gym might seem like a bad idea, but like I mentioned before, having Solrock and Lunatone is very nice. Time to psychic-type barrage everybody. Of course, not having any training in offense means I'm sort of banking that I can out-last instead of out-damage. That's a challenge in itself until I get the more powerful attacks. It's not the easiest fight, showing that I'm going to have to push a little harder on leveling, but that's okay - as I get closer and closer to 100, the boost from EVs will increase. More on that later.

I'm able to teach Surf to Binacle, which is nice, then I spend some time training along Route 12 just before Coumarine City, since my next gym to face is Grass...which turns out to be a lot easier than I originally imagined. Why? Dwebble. Dwebble evolves into Crustle at 34, so I train everyone up to there, and then proceed to just absolutely steamroll through the Grass gym with Bug Bite. However, before doing that, I had to get through the battle with Serena. I was just trying to overpower her, and that ended up backfiring because I was left facing Absol with Lunatone who didn't have anything except Psychic moves. I wasn't about to wait 60 turns to use Struggle. So, reset the game and swap my team around...including spamming Bug Bite with Dwebble which led to it evolving at the end of the battle.

For Ramos, I had to do a lot of switching. Bug Bite is only going to be good against Gogoat. Jumpluff is taken down by some Rock moves. Weepinbell is taken down by Psychic moves. Gogoat should change its name to Yogurt (close enough sounding, I guess), because Crustle was just Bug Bite-ing it up for lunch.

And thus, I have reached the halfway point of the badges for Kalos. If I remember right, there's quite a lull between gyms 7 and 8, so I'm looking to make my next entry after gym 7. In the meantime, I need to train up the rest of my team so we're all to 40, since that's where some of my team already are. As for the boost from EVs, at this point, I'm getting between 21 and 25 extra points each in both Defense and Special Defense. Very nice when you can look at my Rhyhorn and see that it's Special Defense is currently 54 and would be 33 without the training. I shudder at a run where you get 0 EV points no matter how many Rattata or Pidgey you wipe out.

One, L40 Lunatone - Psychic / Heal Block / Hypnosis / Cosmic Power
    Ble2, L35 Crustle - Rock Slide / Bug Bite / Slash / Feint Attack (named Ble2 cause the first Dwebble I caught had VERY bad stats...we're talking like below 5-10 in all IVs....)
    Cle, L34 Binacle - Surf / Mud-Slap / Ancient Power / Slash
    Orn, L34 Rhyhorn - Horn Attack / Bulldoze / Chip Away / Rock Blast
    Ock, L40 Solrock - Psychic / Fire Spin / Embargo / Rock Slide
    Ura, L35 Amaura - Avalanche / Round / Ancient Power / Aurora Beam

Years
    • Age 40
    • Seen Apr 30, 2024
    Ultimate Rock Run
    Y / Final / Last Four Badges and The Elite Four and Champion

Let's end this on a high note: I went through the Elite Four in one shot. Was touch and go, but let's run down the last half of the game.

Gym 5: Fight everything by acting like an idiot and that makes life easier to level up and beat down Clemont.

Gym 6: Fairy type is relatively easy when I can steam-roll them with my more powerful Rock types. Still fighting all the trainers.

Gym 7: Psychic. Barbarcle knows Night Slash, while Crustle knows X-Scissor and Feint Attack. Enough said. Still fighting all the trainers.

The Team Flare stuff was, well, short and sweet. It's a nice change after how much B2W2's ending for the Gen 5 team hideout stuff felt like a slog. I did have to catch a 'mon to use Fly, because I hadn't used one up to this point.

The three bridge battles on the way to the final gym drain you, but at least they let you heal up. Nothing to it. The defensive capabilities seem to be helping, but I think that's only because of my level...and we're talking mid-50s by this point.

Gym 8: Ice. Lol. I'm a Rock type. That's all I really have to say. Spam things like Rock Wrecker or Stone Edge, and nothing really survives.

Went straight through Victory Road, the battle against Serena was stupid easy compared to how I remembered it from my Bug ultimate, and boom, I'm at the Elite Four.

My intended order is Malva, because I'm super strong against Fire, then Drasna, because Aurorus just goes nuts on Dragons. Then I just have Steel and Water, and Steel is slightly better because I do have ground and fighting type moves.

Malva: Rhydon spams Drill Run, then when it goes down, Barbarcle uses Surf to take the rest out.

Drasna: Aurorus uses Ice Beam, and even gets a freeze on Druddigon, which lets me have a chance to heal up and then continue the onslaught.

Wikstrom: Was a bit of a challenge. Drill Run takes Klefki down. Then I had to swap between that and Hammer Arm because I got hit by Tormet. Barbarcle uses Cross Chop to take down Probopass, then I have to switch to Night Slash for Aegislash. Lunatone comes out to use Hypnosis, and Moonblast finishes Aegislash. From there, it's Hypnosis on Scizor, and spam Stone Edge until it goes down.

Seibold: Urgh. I spent way too much time just healing myself up as a means to outlast, and I eventually got the win. It was a mixture of a lot of Hypnosis and revive tactics. I had taught Thunderbolt to Aurorus in the hopes of using it, and it got a few shots off on Starmie before it was taken down.

Diantha was actually slightly easier than Seibold. Hawlucha goes down to Hypnosis/Psychic. Tyrantrum took out Aurorus with Head Smash, but it had done so much damage to itself that Surf knocked it out. Gourgeist comes out, and Crustle takes it out with X-Scissor. At this point, I used Hypnosis and kept my health up before a nice freeze from my second-to-last Ice Beam. Finish that up quickly and move on to Aurorus, where I just had my own Aurorus spam Ancient Power, crit'ing on the fourth hit to knock it out. Gardevoir comes out and I've switched to Crustle...I use Rock Wrecker the first turn as it Mega-Evolves...and OHKO crits it. At this point, I take it because having even one push through the Elite Four with no resets needed is awesome.

Final Team after AZ battle:
    One, L68 Lunatone - Psychic / Stone Edge / Hypnosis / Moonblast
    Cle, L63 Barbarcle - Surf / Cross Chop / Stone Edge / Night Slash
    Ock, L68 Solrock - Psychic / Fire Spin / Embargo / Stone Edge
    Orn, L59 Rhydon - Strength / Drill Run / Hammer Arm / Stone Edge
    Ura, L61 Aurorus - Ice Beam / Thunderbolt / Ancient Power / Aurora Beam
    Ble2, L64 Crustle - Rock Wrecker / X-Scissor / Slash / Feint Attack

Finally, I'm on to Pokemon Moon. My first Pokemon will be a Bonsly, because you can get it in Route 1. It's in the area behind the rocks. The other first ones I can find at Ten Carat Hill, which I believe are also hidden behind the rocks. So, yay, time to breed up a Bonsly egg and get it over there! See you then!

Years
    • Age 21
    • Seen Dec 12, 2023
    Pokemon Shield Psychic Run!
    Badges: 3/8

Storytime!
    Now then, we made our way to the Hulbury gym to face Nessa! And of course, I was not feeling too confident with facing her as I knew that I would not do well against her Drednaw. As Woobat and Dottler would be weak against it's rock type moves, but later found out the it also had Bite. And when dynamaxed it one hit KO'd my pokemon. Course we did manage to beat her though with the power of Wobbuffet! Or I would like to say that, but we actually beat her with the power of Attract and just beating it up. I honestly forgot how we beat it up, but we did! And soon this brought us to the next route where we happily added a few new members! Those members being Natu and Hatenna! Natu evolved right away and Woobat soon after. And soon we were up against the fire type gym which was somewhat of a breeze! Slowpoke against Ninetales before we swapped to Wobbuffet. Then took down Arcanine with a Destiny Bond and then Woobat, who wasn't evolved at the time, beat his Centiskorch! And this earned us our next badge and we soon made our way to the 4th gym with little to no trouble. So yeah short update! But, here is the team stats now!

Team!
    orbeetle.png

LVL:30
    Ability: Compound Eyes
    Nature: Hardy
    Moveset
    Struggle Bug
    Reflect
    Light Screen
    Confusion
    Stats
    HP:83