• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Challenge] The Monotype Challenge Returns

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Seen Mar 7, 2023
    Pokémon Fire Red Dragon Monotype Challenge Finale

My progress:
    Spoiler:

Final team:
    Spoiler:

Attachments

• Pokemon Fire Red (U)(Squirrels)_06.png
      Pokemon Fire Red (U)(Squirrels)_06.png
      6.1 KB · Views: 1
    • Pokemon Fire Red (U)(Squirrels)_07.png
      Pokemon Fire Red (U)(Squirrels)_07.png
      5 KB · Views: 1
    • Pokemon Fire Red (U)(Squirrels)_08.png
      Pokemon Fire Red (U)(Squirrels)_08.png
      5 KB · Views: 1

FactoriesFarAway

Youngster
    Years
    • she/her
    • UK
    • Seen Feb 2, 2024
    Platinum Bug Monotype – Part 8 - Cyrus and Badge 8

Spoiler:

Platinum Bug Monotype – Part 9 - Elite Four (finale)

Spoiler:

Overall opinions and thoughts on the Bug Monotype Challenge

Spoiler:

Ultimate Bug Monotype Challenge Fin! (but to be continued in a bonus post)

Last edited:

ddrox13

Anti-Nonsense
    Years
  • I don't have FR LG, but with Steel, I'm exempt, right? Doesn't Dragon have to do it with only one mon? Anyway, there's no way to "lose" right? Even if my team composition is garbage and bad moves I can just grind grind grind? Sorry, I've got oodles of questions, other than (mostly failed) nuzlockes challenges are new to me.
    As Factories said, Steel and Dark monotypes are exempt from Kanto. You can grind as often as you like but that's like boooring.

And OP says Steel is exempt from a necessary Kanto game, but I feel that's an odd choice personally, as Kanto is necessary for Dragon type Ultimate even though there's only one Dragon type Pokemon in the game (you just have to use at least 2 of the Dragonite line on your team). OP has been inactive for a long time, so I feel it's something posters in this thread should probably come to a conclusion together somehow about what should be done with regards to that rule. Because to me at least, it makes no sense.
    The Dark and Steel being exempt from Kanto thing is a rule carried from the original Monotype Challenge thread. The logic is less that there is only one eligible fully evolved Steel-type in Kanto and more that in the first games to feature the Kanto Region, the Steel-type did not exist. While point exist for and against that rule, I see no reason to remove it to allow players that choice.

But now onto the Important Part Of This Post

INTRODUCING: THE MONOTYPE CHALLENGE HALL OF FAME Spreadsheet Edition

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1RD5_qSnZ_L2SxKUwFH9dFi2tysv1EFVBPnc_oYgTulI/edit?usp=sharing

This spreadsheet will eventually contain record of every Monotype Challenge, completed or ongoing, from every rendition of The Monotype Challenge thread. It is sortable and filterable and a lot of other good things that you just can't do with the bottom of a forum post.

It is currently up-to-date as of this posting with this thread's champions and challengers (plus my ult monograss because I'm special), and I intend to update it regularly. Feel free to take a look! Actually please do. It makes me feel better about this whole endeavor.

If I missed anything, or you have some legacy challenges you'd like me to include sooner rather than the next time I get around to copying Necrum/Volga's lists, feel free to send me a PM.

Newfi Cheese

It's Newfi Cheese!
    Years
  • This spreadsheet will eventually contain record of every Monotype Challenge, completed or ongoing, from every rendition of The Monotype Challenge thread.
    Holy guacamole the dedication of some of you guys astounds me! As for the Steel type thing, I'll go for Kanto if I've got it in me, sorta like end game content. I mean 7 games has to take it's toll right? That's a lot!

Years
    • Seen May 12, 2019
    Newbie here. Have observed for a while, and just joined the forum. I've been looking for something more interesting to do while completing my living dex, so I've decided to join in on the fun. Decided to pick one of my four (ground, steel, ghost, dragon) favorite types Ground for the challenge, as it is the only one where I can get a complete team in all generations.

Forum Name: Silphalion
    Games: Blue, Heart Gold, Omega Ruby, Platinum, White 2, Y, Moon
    Pokemon Type: Ground
    Single/Ultimate/Free Mode?: Ultimate

Years
    • Seen May 12, 2019
    Pokemon Blue Ground Monotype - Badge 1 and an attempt at 2​

So I started this challenge last night and quickly realized some things that I'll get to later.

Decided to start with Bulbasaur, because I can't remember ever picking him as my starter in previous playthroughs. Named him Leaf for no real reason. I quickly slogged my way to Rt. 22 and managed to get myself a Nidoran ♀ on my first encounter. Named her Girl. Then it took me forever to find a Nidoran ♂. In perspective, I got Girl at lvl 4 and fought all the wilds I encountered, and she was lvl 8 by the time I caught Boy.

Once I had both my Nidoran, I made my way through the forest to Brock, grinding my way lvl 11/12. This is where I made my first discovery. I should have chosen Pokemon Yellow, as Nidoran ♂ would have gotten Double Kick and made the Gym battle much easier. The fight was a little challenging, but I ended up using Leer twice whenever Brock's Onix used Bide to take no damage and weaken his defenses. I won, but it was a close thing.

After getting the Boulder Badge, I trekked through Mt Moon, evolving Boy into Nidorino, and then Nidoking, and Girl in Nidorina and Nidoqueen. I also caught a Geodude named Boulder, a Jigglypuff for future HM slavery and a Spearow for a future trade for another HM slave. Outside Mt. Moon I added a Sandshrew named Sandy to the team.

Then I had my second realization. By needing to evolve my team ASAP, Girl and Boy gained the ground typing already, making the second badge a challenge. I went through Nugget Bridge to Bill, and then decided to test myself against Misty. It...wasn't good.

I then decided I needed more training. Decided to head South and into Diglett Cave to train. Also added a Diglett named Whack-A (mole) to the team. I tried to grab a Dugtrio, but they were too high lvl and kept escaping. Ended the night there wit the 5 member team hovering around lvl 20-ish.

some pics: https://imgur.com/a/WB2jPMy

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Mar 7, 2023
    Started my mono-dragon run of Platinum today. As far as I know, there are only two dragon evolution-lines available before the Elite Four, Garchomp and Altaria. Since neither of them can be obtained before the second gym (Gible is just out of reach since I need Cut) I hacked in a Gible, which I named Diablos. I have just defeated Roark the first gym leader.

Current team:
    Spoiler:

Attachments

• Rival_2.png
      Rival_2.png
      6.9 KB · Views: 2
    • Roark.png
      Roark.png
      9 KB · Views: 1
    Years
  • I've also started with a Mono Dragon challenge on Sun. And I can tell you that Gen 7 is a lot harder than I remembered it to be.

It took me forever to find a Bagon with its 1% encounter rate (although 106 encounters - I counted them - is only slightly above the expected value), but training Bagon might be even harder. It levels painfully slowly and its stats are not exactly great, and it's a long way off from reaching level 30 (currently level 19). I keep on losing to random trainers and getting teleported back to the previous PC, which in one case meant the previous island. I needed a couple of X items and some grinding against wild Oricorio to stand a chance against the Fighting trial guy (whatever his name is).

I can't wait to finally get a second team member - Goomy might also be on the weak side, but at least I have some backup so I won't lose as many battles.

Years
    • Seen Mar 7, 2023
    Pokémon Platinum Dragon Monotype Challenge Update

My progress:
    Spoiler:

Current Team:
    Spoiler:

Attachments

• Mars_1.png
      Mars_1.png
      10.1 KB · Views: 2
    • Diablos evolves.png
      Diablos evolves.png
      9 KB · Views: 1
    • Gardenia.png
      Gardenia.png
      9.1 KB · Views: 1
    • Jupiter_1.png
      Jupiter_1.png
      10.4 KB · Views: 1
    Years
    • Seen Jul 16, 2021
    Starting up a playthrough! Was hard to decide between Ghost and Water, but decided on Ghost.
    Forum User Name: blyvern
    Game(s): Pokemon Platinum
    Pokémon Type: Ghost
    Single/Ultimate/Free Mode?: Free (hacking in Misdreavus since it's only in Pearl in gen 4 and I don't wanna wait till after gen 1 to get my first pokemon in the typing; will hack it in right after sandgem)

Last edited by a moderator:
    Years
    • Seen May 12, 2019
    Pokemon Blue Ground Monotype Day 2- Badges 2-5​

Today I really picked up speed. After a little grinding to get everyone around lvl 20ish, I took on Misty. This was another tough fight, but I pulled through, just barely. Boy had just 5 HP left. I think that's how much he had after Brock too...

After Misty was taken care of, I headed back to Vermillion City. I traded my spearow for a Farfetch'd, my Cut/Fly slave. By this point, clearing through the SS Anne was easy times. Sandy also evolved into Sandslash. Lt. Surge was more of a joke, as I expected. Whack-A (mole) solo'd everything with Dig.

A quick trek through Rock Tunnel evolved Boulder and WHack-A (mole) as well. Then I was off to Celadon. I made my way through Rocket's Game Corner, sweeping everyone, including Giovanni, easily. Since, I was on a roll at this point, I made my way to Erika. Whack-A (mole) almost 1 shot Victreebell, but was knocked out right after. The rest was easily dealt with by Girl and her Ice Beam.

Once I had my fourth badge, I grabbed Fly, then was off to the Pokemon Tower, where I picked up Bonesaw the Cubone. After clearing the Tower, I decided to make my way to Fuchsia City, battling everyone I encountered on the way. Bonesaw evolved into Marrowak during the journey.

Once in Fuchsia, I decided to take a stab at Koga first, not expecting to win yet, but gauge how I was doing. I was shocked when I solo'd his team with lvl 32 (up to 34 at the end) Bonesaw. He 1 shot'd both Koffing, 2 shot Muk, and was underground using Dig when Weezing decided to Self-destruct himself... In the end, he barely took any damage and I got my fifth badge.

I decided to head into the Safari Zone to get two more HMs and my last team member, Stonehorse the Rhyhorn. I replaced Boulder the Graveler with Stonehorse as I don't have any way of trade evolving Boulder. I decided to teach Boy Surf, Sandy Cut (there are a lack of good moves in Gen 1) and Stonehorse Strength. That means I'll only need Farfetch'd for Fly when I need to. I decided to end the night there.

Some pics: https://imgur.com/a/PpLzbHn

Last edited:
    Years
  • Kimbo's Mega Monotype Challenge
    Type 1: Bug Game 1: Part 3: Team Rocket and Team Completion

Spoiler:

TEAM
    beedrill.png

Duke the Beedrill @N/A
    Level 37/Impish/Male/Swarm
    Twineedle /Aerial Ace /Secret Power /Brick Break

butterfree.png

Cabbage the Butterfree @N/A
    Level 36/Quirky/Female/Compound Eyes
    Psychic /Thief /Poison Powder /Gust

parasect.png

Monarch the Paras @N/A
    Level 36/Quirky/Female/Effect Spore
    Bullet Seed/ Slash/ Dig/ Spore

pinsir.png

Admiral the Pinsir @N/A
    Level 36/Calm/Male/Hyper Cutter
    Vicegrip/Seismic Toss/Brick Break/Rock Slide
    scyther.png

Brimstone The Scyther @N/A
    Level 36/Relaxed/Male/Swarm
    Twineedle /Aerial Ace /Secret Power /Brick Break
    venomoth.png

Peacock The Venomoth. @N/A
    Level 36/Bold/Male/Shield Dust
    Psybeam/Gust /Giga Drain /Stun Spore

Newfi Cheese

It's Newfi Cheese!
    Years
  • Moon Monosteel part 4

This has been eventful as hell! 2 more totems down, Vikavolt and Mimikyu, along with 4 new members, Boris the Bastiodon, Axel the Skarmory, Wall-E the Metang and Jingles the Klefki. I haven't fully decided on if I'll use Klefki or Sandslash, but theyll both be used for at least a short period. Vikavolt was surprisingly difficult, not like Lurantis, but definitely posed a challenge. Mimikyu was absolutely crushed, no comment there. So far, my team is feeling pretty good! Next totem will be ez clap thanks to Klefki, and we'll take it from there!

Years
  • Back on the PC forums after a brief (6 year) hiatus. Haven't seen any posts on here for Pokemon Let's Go, and since that's currently the only game I've got while travelling (though if this bug catches again, going to have to remedy that) it's what I'm using.

Username: mamoswineftw
    Game: Pokemon Let's Go - Eevee
    Challenge Type: Single
    Type: Poison

Current status: Boulder Badge ✔️ Cascade Badge ✔️
    Thoughts:
    - playing without abilities takes some getting used to
    - Kanto with physical/special split is great
    - second playthrough of PLGE, still surprised at how underlevelled the trainer battles are compared to original games, yet would class it as refreshing overall

Current team:
    Rex the Nidorino, L20. Horn Attack/Dig/Poison Sting/Double Kick
    Main battler, will be upgrading to Nidoking as soon as he gets Toxic at L23.

Manuka the Beedrill, L18. Twineedle/Headbutt/Rage/Poison Sting
    Want to keep the nostalgia factor, actually has a surprisingly decent movepool and will be secondary physical attacker.

Venonat L16. Confusion/Disable/Headbutt/Poison Powder
    Fresh addition, never used Venomoth before so excited. Special sweeper (ideally).

Whilst I'm not using them, I've caught every Pokemon available to now and am rotating then through my active party to take advantage of Exp Share. The game forces you to have a certain number of mons in the Dex to progress at certain parts so it's just easier this way.

Anyway, that's me. Good to be back.

Years
    • Seen May 12, 2019
    Pokemon Blue Ground Monotype Day 3- Badges 6-End. Challenge Complete!​

After getting my fifth badge and last team member, I went off to the Power Plant for some grinding and cleared the place easily, as expected. Then I made my way to Saffron and challenged the Fighting Dojo. I decided to be friendly and left without taking my prize pokemon. I quickly liberated Silph Co., nobody putting up much of a fight at this point.

Saffron Gym was my next target. I was worried, thinking Sabrina was going to be a challenge. The fight was a little difficult, but I made it through without any casualties.

With my sixth badge, I decided to skip Seafoam Island all together and flew to Pallet Town instead. I surfed down to Cinnabar Island and wasted no time in getting access to the Gym and challenging Blaine. His fire was no match for my ground element. This was probably the second easiest gym after Surge.

With the seventh badge in hand, I flew straight for Viridian and my final showdown with Giovanni. While going through his gym, Stonehorse evolved into Rhydon, the final evolution for my team. Giovanni put up more of a challenge than past interactions, but I prevailed in the end.

I decided to try and finish off the challenge that same day. Making my way through Victory Road, I reached the Pokemon League pretty fast. I was under-leveled, but decided to see how much of a fight I could put up.

Lorelai was the first and hardest member, expectedly with her water typing. I was able to pull through with only a few KOs. After healing up, I took on Bruno, who was a lot easier. Took him down with Surf and Dig. Agatha was even easier, Dig making easy work of everything but Golbat, who I Ice Beamed to death.

I figured Lance would be the real test. I was disappointed. Thunderbolt crit 1 hit Gyrados. One Dragonair froze with the first Ice Beam, so he went down easy. The second Only used Agility, so Ice Beam won again. Stonehorse surfed Aerodactyl down while resisting most of his attacks. Then came the mighty Dragonite. Who...only used Agility? the whole time while I ice Beamed him to death in three hits...

Then it was time for the final battle, my rival A! Thunderbolt took care of Pidgeot and Gyarados. Surf took down Rhydon and Ice Beam for Exeguttor. Surf made quick work of Charizard. I was most worried about Alakazam as I had no type advantage. All I'll say is Dig is a great move, especially when it crits.

After the final battle, the team was:

"Boy" Nidoking lvl. 52
    "Girl" Nidoqueen lvl. 48
    "Whack-A" Dugtrio lvl. 45
    "Bonesaw" Marrowak lvl. 43
    "Sandy" Sandslash lvl. 45
    "Stonehorse" Rhydon lvl. 44

Overall, I didn't realize how fast Dugtrio was, that SLash always crits, that Ground/Rock typing is awesome, and that I would barely use Marrowak.

On to the next challenge! I was planning to do Heart Gold next, but can't find my cart, so will start Platinum instead.

Pics: https://imgur.com/a/50WIAM0

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Mar 7, 2023
    Pokémon Platinum Dragon Monotype Ultimate Challenge

My progress:
    Spoiler:

Current team:
    Spoiler:

Attachments

• Fantina.png
      Fantina.png
      9.1 KB · Views: 1
    • Rival_3.png
      Rival_3.png
      9 KB · Views: 0
    • Maylene.png
      Maylene.png
      8.9 KB · Views: 0
    Years
  • PLG-E Poison Monotype

Had an impromptu catching session get up to 39 Diglett before calling it quits. Was struggling a bit with opponents (having to heal after nearly every battle), so got my main battlers up to scratch.

Cleared the St Anne, defeated Surge (evolved Rex into Nidoking and taught him Dig - easy as anything). Then had my catching session, which also helped to evolve some of the other Pokemon sitting in my box - Pokedex up to a nice, even 50. Saved just before Rock tunnel after Venonat evolved into Venomoth. Still gotta nickname that. Also, the game designers definitely accidentally switched Butterfree and Venomoth's designs way back. Makes way more sense for it to go Caterpie > Metapod > Venomoth and Venonat > Butterfree purely on artwork. Never used Venomoth before, but it's just so obvious!

Rex the Nidoking, L30
    Dig/Double Kick/Toxic/Thrash

Manuka the Beedrill, L30
    Pin Missile/Poison Jab/Rage/Headbutt

Venomoth L31
    Psybeam/Leech Life/Gust/Sleep Powder

Keeping Persian in my party to ride around very fast. NOTE - only the above Pokemon are used in battles!

Years
    • Seen Sep 30, 2020
    Forum User Name: Dadkota
    Game(s): Ruby
    Pokémon Type: Fighting
    Single/Ultimate/Free Mode?: Single

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023
    Water Monotype Challenge - Third Update
    Black | Marko

50px-Trio_Badge.png
    50px-Basic_Badge.png
    50px-Insect_Badge.png
    50px-Bolt_Badge.png
    50px-Quake_Badge.png
    50px-Jet_Badge.png
    50px-Freeze_Badge.png

Oof it's been a little while huh. Honestly between the fifth and seventh badges is my least favorite part of the game (other than Skyla) because I don't like the caves you have to go through during this part haha. But anyways I managed to make my way through Chargestone Cave, beat N, and then make it to Mistralton City. But of course I can't face Skyla yet because I have to go and fetch her from the top of that tower first. So up we go to do just that and then down we go so we can go and face here. Really, nothing of interest happened here. Also can't remember anything spectacular happening during the gym battle either. I think Cereal took mostly everything down with AncientPower with possible help from another Pokemon.

So Skyla is beaten and Jet Badge get! Things little slightly more interesting from here on because we started to head towards Twist Mountain and there was Cheren waiting for us to battle? Once we defeated Cheren Alder came out of nowhere and gave us the HM I have been waiting for: Surf. With Surf I was able to go back and fetch the last member of my team. But not before catching a fly slave because I didn't want to teach Oatmeal fly. Oh also around this time was when I finally decide to evolve Poptart into Simipour!

Said Fly slave was caught and we went to the Route 17 in order to catch our final member Waffles the Frillish! With our team complete I stuck the Lucky Egg on Waffles and battles all the trainers I could to level him and then flew back to Twist Mountain to make our way through. Waffles was in the lead for most of the Mountain too, and thanks to the luck egg by the time we got to the other side Waffles had evolved into a Jellicent!

The moment we got to Icirrus City we went to go and fight Brycen. Honestly this was the easiest battle so far as all it took was a Shell Smash and Cereal swept his whole team with AncientPower. Cereal is quickly becoming my MVP if not the very least my favorite but we'll see by the end of this run! After a quick heal we're going to be on our way to Dragonspiral Tower as we've been summoned there by Team Plasma. So see you guys next time!

samurott.png

Pancake (Samurott) ♂
    Relaxed | Torrent | Level 41 @ Mystic Water
    Revenge, Razor Shell, X-Scissor, Slash

seismitoad.png

Donut (Seismitoad) ♀
    Serious | Poison Touch | Level 41 @ Amulet Coin
    Grass Knot, Mud Shot, Acid, Surf

simipour.png

Poptart (Simipour) ♀
    Hasty | Gluttony | Level 41
    Acrobatics, Shadow Claw, Scald, Work Up