• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Monotype Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.

jombii

[FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][SIZE=4][COLOR=#00b05
Years
  • ULTIMATE MONOTYPE RUN
    Types Finished: Grass LINK HERE OF ANALYSIS
    Type: Flying
    Games Done: LeafGreen
    Current Game: HeartGold

Badges: 0

Events:
    1. none

Team:
    Spoiler:

Pics:
    Spoiler:

Current Game: Omega Ruby

Badges: 5

Events:
    1. Defeated Watson on third try, utilizing Super Potions and Bite Golbat.
    2. Evolved Golbat to Crobat and Wingull to Pelipper.
    3. Went northwards.
    4. Caught a Skarmory with good nature and Curse (yay!)
    5. Caught a Swablu.
    6. Cleared Mt. Chimney.
    7. Defeated Flannery with Brine Pelipper.
    8. Went to Petalburg and defeated Norman with Steel Wing Skarmory.
    9. In-training in Surfing areas for Swablu.

Team:
    Spoiler:

AND I REALIZE I STILL HAVE A PENDING MONO GROUND RUN LOL.

Years
    • Seen Dec 12, 2016
    So I'm eight badges in and have to grind to kill iris. elite four was cake walk though but iris pretty strong.

But until I beat this I'm starting electric run in plat.

Years
    • Seen Nov 13, 2023
    Update: Just outside Victory Road

Finally found Rotom, defeated Team Flare and got my eighth gym badge. Now on to the Elite Four.

Spoiler:

Pekin

Wigglytuff is and has always been on acid.
    Years
  • Ultimate Flying Monotype Challenge
    Game:
    Y
    Badges: 2

Leaf Green, Soul Silver, Omega Ruby, Platinum, Black 2, Y (2/8)

Alright, so I finally started on my Y run of this challenge. Actually, I started a while ago, but I haven't posted any updates yet, because I spent a lot of time soft resetting for natures. Anyway, I caught Scatterbug as my first Pokémon, defeated Viola with only Vivillon, then moved on to Lumiose to pick up Charmander. Moving on, I caught myself a Ducklett, and before reaching Ambrette(?) Town, I caught a Drifloon and a Bagon, as well. Before challenging Grant, I also caught a Hawlucha to complete my team. Grant was difficult, and in the end, I only had two Pokémon standing, and Hawlucha ended up taking the victory home. Anyway, here's my current team:
    The Monotype Challenge

Ducklett, lv. 27 w/ Rocky Helmet
    Female // Timid // Keen Eye
    - Feather Dance
    - Aqua Ring
    - Air Slash
    - Bubble Beam
    The Monotype Challenge

Hawlucha, lv. 26
    Female // Jolly // Limber
    - Hone Claws
    - Roost
    - Aerial Ace
    - Return
    The Monotype Challenge

Vivillon, lv. 28 w/ Silver Powder
    Female // Timid // Compound Eyes
    - Psybeam
    - Struggle Bug
    - Stun Spore
    - Draining Kiss
    The Monotype Challenge

Charmeleon, lv. 29 w/ Charizardite Y
    Male // Timid // Blaze
    - Scratch
    - Dragon Rage
    - Ember
    - Fire Fang
    The Monotype Challenge

Drifloon, lv. 27 w/ Amulet Coin
    Female // Bold // Aftermath
    - Stockpile
    - Hex
    - Gust
    - Payback
    The Monotype Challenge

Bagon, lv. 23 w/ Dragon Fang
    Male // Jolly // Rock Head
    - Shadow Claw
    - Bite
    - Hone Claws
    - Return

Years
    • Seen Nov 13, 2023
    Final Update: League Champion

Done and dusted. Obviously the hardest Elites were Malva and the Champion. Malva for obvious Fire-type (and one Fire/Flaying for double trouble!) reasons. The Champions' Goodra and Mega-Gardevoir were the toughest, eventually I had to poison the mega with Toxic and let Teasel outlast it with Hyper Potions.

Final Team

The Monotype Challenge

Bramble the Jolly Chesnaught, Female, Lv. 65
    Ability: Overgrow
    Item: Rocky Helmet
    Moves: Hammer Arm, Power-Up Punch, Seed Bomb, Earthquake

The Monotype Challenge

Teasel the Modest Venasaur, Male, Lv. 65
    Ability: Overgrow
    Item: Venusaurite
    Moves: Toxic, Petal Dance, Sludge Bomb, Nature Power

The Monotype Challenge

Buckthorn the Adamant Gogoat, Male, Lv. 64
    Ability: Sap Sipper
    Item: Miracle Seed
    Moves: Leaf Blade, Horn Leech, Return, Earthquake

The Monotype Challenge

Snapdragon the Modest Exeggutor, Female, Lv. 61
    Ability: Chlorophyll
    Item: Energy Ball, Nature Power, Extrasensory, Leaf Storm

The Monotype Challenge

Thistle the Timid Ludicolo, Male, Lv. 62
    Ability: Swift Swim
    Item: Amulet Coin
    Moves: Ice Beam, Surf, Energy Ball, Uproar

The Monotype Challenge

Chervil the Calm M-Rotom, Lv. 63
    Ability: Levitate
    Item: King's Rock
    Moves: Toxic, Hex, Thunderbolt, Leaf Storm

DyingWillFlareon

Burning Candle
    Years
  • Username: DyingWillFlareon(ingame Aly DWF)
    Pokemon Type: I never actually use my favorite Types, so Ground!
    Challenge Mod: Single(for now? :3c)
    Game: Red 721(randomized)

Got my starter Terror the NidoranF. Also couldve chosen Bunnelby for this too actually. Other starter was Pineco. :/

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
    Years
  • Please do not post consecutively. I have noticed a few of you double posting the last few days. Thank you.
    Ohh gawd. I'm doing bug in leaf green. Didn't think about going against green and on top of that i gave him a charizard. I am about to fight Blaine So that will also be a challenge in itself. So it seems like I'll be grinding for years lol.
    My advice is to train at the island with the hot springs using the VS Seeker. You can run back and forth between the trainers outside and the springs to heal indefinitely. That's how I did it anyway. Pinsir used Rock Slide to beat Charizard. :)
    Hey guys, so I completed a dragon monotype last january, I finished my perfect platinum, black 2, Y and alpha sapphire run. The problem is that I recall jotting down notes and I even recall posting updates but I can't find my updates that show I finished it? I don't know if I still have the save files, do I redo them?
    As long as you post whatever relevant info you can recall, like what Pokemon you used, I see no reason you should have to replay everything. This whole forum is pretty heavy on the honor system.
    Afterwards Kronos visited the tower of the dead brushes his "rival" aside as he descends easily to the top with Wukong's help.
    Love your epic poetry version of Pokemon! It's very intriguing. However I must point out that one ascends a tower not descends. Descending means going down into.

All that said, Updated through Post #1665! I'm going to start updating this thread every Sunday since I will now consistently have that day off. Thank you for being patient and as usual if I missed something please let me know.

SetheKing

"Ignore him, for he...Yeah, he's dumb."
    Years
  • Okay, so due to laptop problems my Mono-Water run file has lost been lost to the aether, so I will be having to start all over and have just been left so frustrated by it. I have crap luck, apparently. So just gonna start all over with a new run, if I can.

Forum User Name: SetheKing
    Pokémon Type: Fire
    Challenge Mode: Ultimate
    Game(s): LeafGreen, SoulSilver, AlphaSapphire, Platinum, Black, Y

jombii

[FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][SIZE=4][COLOR=#00b05
    Years
  • ULTIMATE MONOTYPE RUN
    Types Finished: Grass LINK HERE OF ANALYSIS
    Type: Flying
    Games Done: LeafGreen
    Current Game: HeartGold

Badges: 4

Events:
    1. Started with a boy named G.
    2. Did-pre game! Finally starting for real.
    3. Captured a Hoothoot, nicknamed Sight.
    4. Grinded on Route 30-31.
    5. Captured a Zubat! Welcome back Sulfide!
    6. Cleared Bell Tower and Falkner.
    7. Proceeded to southwards toward Azalea and cleared Flash Cave (or was that the name) and Slowpoke Well.
    8. Evolved Hoothoot to Noctowl.
    9. Defeated Bugsy and my rival.
    10. Evolved Zubat to Golbat.
    11. Hatched Togepi, nicknamed Sunny Side. Started to increase his happiness, along with Golbat by running around and getting some levels.
    12. Proceeded to Goldenrod. Hello massage!
    13. Defeated Whitney with combination of Confuse Ray and Bite with my Golbat. Evolved my Golbat to Crobat!
    14. Grinded north of Goldenrod, captured a Yanma, nicknamed Speed.
    15. Evolved my Togetic. Epic fail though since Shiny Stone is available only post-E4 part 1.
    16. Proceeded northwards and grinded and cleared Burnt Tower.
    17. Defeated Morty since his Ghosts are weak to Confusion and Bite Crobat and saved.

Team:
    Spoiler:

Pics:
    Spoiler:

Current Game: Omega Ruby

Badges: 6

Events:
    1. Evolved Swablu to Altaria.
    2. Had Latios and deposited him. LOL.
    3. Grinded towards the Weather Institute.
    4. Defeated May.
    5. Defeated Winona with Rock Tomb Skarmory.
    6. Proceeded southwards, all the while grinding.
    7. Got the Altarianite. Yay!
    8. Defeated May in Lilycove. Saved.

Team:
    Spoiler:

Years
    • Seen Sep 16, 2021
    Love your epic poetry version of Pokemon! It's very intriguing. However I must point out that one ascends a tower not descends. Descending means going down into.

Honestly didn't even notice that mistake. Sometimes even when you know the right words you'll still somehow use the wrong ones anyway.

Years
    • Seen Dec 12, 2016
    Please do not post consecutively. I have noticed a few of you double posting the last few days. Thank you.

My advice is to train at the island with the hot springs using the VS Seeker. You can run back and forth between the trainers outside and the springs to heal indefinitely. That's how I did it anyway. Pinsir used Rock Slide to beat Charizard. :)

As long as you post whatever relevant info you can recall, like what Pokemon you used, I see no reason you should have to replay everything. This whole forum is pretty heavy on the honor system.

All that said, Updated through Post #1665! I'm going to start updating this thread every Sunday since I will now consistently have that day off. Thank you for being patient and as usual if I missed something please let me know.

Thank You for the tip.

Years
  • As long as you post whatever relevant info you can recall, like what Pokemon you used, I see no reason you should have to replay everything. This whole forum is pretty heavy on the honor system.

Thank your for you reply

So iirc used the same Pokemon I used in my Heart gold run for platinum so It was kingdra, dragonite, salamence, garchomp, altaria and latios.

For black 2 i replaced latios with hydreigon.

for Alpha sapphire i used the same team as black 2 but i also replaced altaria with goodra and my mega was mega salamence. (I also got pokemon Y which i used the same team on back in January as well since I knew Z wasn't going to come out and I needed kalos to finish my run)

Mardovelin

cute + grumpy
    Years
    • Seen Jan 19, 2018
    Forum User Name: mardovelin
    Pokémon Type: grass
    Challenge Mode: single
    Game: white 2

something different for me.

Years
  • Have had a bit of a delay due to my save file going corrupt for some apparent reason. I restarted the game and have now replicated the levels of my previous save as well as caught Pokemon with the same nature as before, trying to make it as fair as possible.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    whoa shit I was the 2nd post in this thread?

Anyway I'ma back Necrum like I said I might (it's apparently been long enough that my username needs be updated on the list in the OP lol) =)

Forum User Name: Nah
    Pokémon Type: Steel
    Challenge Mode: Single
    Game: Y

Since it's been quite a while since I've done one of these, is there any updates or new things I should be aware of?

DyingWillFlareon

Burning Candle
    Years
  • Red 721 Ground types:

Spoiler: Brock
    I chose Terror the NidoranF as my starter(although I now realize Bunnelby was in there too, I also ran into some before and compeltely blanked on the fact that its a Ground type evo?). Our Rival had an Onix with Bind and we only had Scratch and Growl that was not fair at all. Later we caught Bean the Landorous outside Pallet. We caught Wafer the Trapinch out front of Viridian Forest(I once had a game where I named all my team after food and had Cookie the Flygon and later named another Flygon Biscuit in honor of Cookie and now it just seems wrong to stop this trend :P). We easily beat Brock's team but I dont recall what they were, Im getting it confused with another game Im doing so Idk.

Spoiler: Misty
    We continued on and found Muddybuddy the Gligar(i like sweets and puppy chow is delicious???) out in front of Mt Moon. Unfortunatly the salesman's Pokemon was Croagunk not a Ground type. :< Inside of Mt Moon we found an Aggron and I realized I ran into Aron before and, like Bunnelby, didnt even think about catching, except this time its even dumber because I wanted to do Ground types so I could finally use Aggron? :'D So we caught him and named him Rood cause he used all my Pokeballs and he looks back sassily instead of having a backsprite so hes very rude. Terror evolved into Nidorina and we murdered everything in our path.

At the moment we are on the SS Anne, team:

Terror the Nidorina, Level 25
    Bite, Growl, Poison Sting, Double Kick

Bean the Landorous, Level 25
    Outrage, Rock Tomb, Bulldoze, Rock Slide

Wafer the Trapinch, Level 24
    Bite, Sand Attack, Bide, Bulldoze

Muddybuddy the Gligar(not sure how he'll evolve), level 24
    Poison Sting, Sand Attack, Quick Attack, Aerial Ace

Rood the Aggron, Level 24
    Headbutt, Tackle, Harden, Metal Claw

Only one more spot in the team I cant wait to see what else there is please be a rhyhorn please be a rhyhorn

Out of all of these, Ive used Nidoqueen, Gliscore(i feel like a spelled that wrong), and Flygon. Cant wait to see how everyone turns out. :3

Years
    • Seen Dec 12, 2016
    I know I have been bouncing from runs to runs. But I currently enjoying my rock challenge on white the most. I am four badges in now. Going to dreiftveil or w/e its called... lol here is my team small and simple..

The Monotype Challenge
    *Castle*
    lvl-29
    bug bite
    rock polish
    rock slide
    rock tomb

The Monotype Challenge
    *Pebble*
    lvl - 32
    rock blast
    stealth rock
    rock slide
    rock smash

The Monotype Challenge
    *Mountain*
    Lvl - 35
    rock blast
    iron defense
    mud slap
    power gem

I feel like a real Roxanne or Brock haha having fun with it

QWUB | Qwest

Meteor Cancel Master
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2016
    User: QWUB | Qwest
    Pokemon Type: Fire
    Challenge Mode: Ultimate
    Games: Leafgreen, Heartgold, Alpha Sapphire, Platinum, Black, White 2, and X.
    I found out I hate myself today

Last edited:

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    Steel Monotype on Y - Update 1
    -started new file
    -picked Fennekin as my starter Pokemon to make life easier for the first gym
    -Went through Viridian Forest Santalune Forest. It was kind of nice that they had Calem/Shauna/Tierno/Trevor move about and talk and do things in real-time as you made your way through the forest. Hopefully there'll be something like that in Sun/Moon
    -caught a Bidoof on Route 3, as I'll be needing an HM slave later and Bidoof/Bibarel is a fairly good one
    -made it to Santalune City
    -cleared the first Gym

Party:
    The Monotype Challenge
    The Monotype Challenge

Badges:
    The Monotype Challenge

There should be some Steel types to catch soon. At least there's a fairly sizeable gap between the first and second gyms to give me time.

Mardovelin

cute + grumpy
    Years
    • Seen Jan 19, 2018
    white 2 | grass monotype

• named my trainer lin
    • left my rivals name as hugh
    • recieved snivy from bianca
    • deafeted hugh and his pig
    • caught a swawaddle
    • went to floccesy ranch
    • saved somebodys dog herdier
    • went back to aspertia
    • rekt cheren, obtained the basic badge
    • pointless c-gear is pointless
    • "dark grass is scary cause you can find 2 pokemon" wow k thanks cheren.
    • i can fight toodlers.
    • enter virbank city.
    • time to grind so i don't get rekt by roxie b/c poison

team-
    The Monotype Challenge

Simon | M | lvl.14
    bold | overgrow
    tackle | leer | vine whip | wrap

The Monotype Challenge

Joey | M | lvl.15
    mild | swarm
    tackle | string shot | bug bite | razor leaf