• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Monotype Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pekin

Wigglytuff is and has always been on acid.
Years
  • Ultimate Flying Monotype Challenge
    Game:
    Y
    Badges: 8

Leaf Green, Soul Silver, Omega Ruby, Platinum, Black 2, Y (8/8)

Sorry, but aside from leveling and gaining badges, not a lot of interesting stuff has happened to my team since my last post. The last two gym leaders were painfully easy, especially Wulfric is a complete pushover, but that's nothing new. Since getting access to Waterfall, I've been wandering Kalos with my trusty HM slave, Bibarel, to collect TMs and items for my team, and now we're finally ready to take on Victory Road! Here's my team:
    vivillon-continental.gif

Vivillion, lv. 63 w/ Silver Powder
    Female // Timid // Compound Eyes
    - Sleep Powder
    - Bug Buzz
    - Quiver Dance
    - Hurricane
    swanna.gif

Swanna, lv. 64 w/ Icicle Plate
    Female // Timid // Keen Eye
    - Roost
    - Ice Beam
    - Air Slash
    - Surf
    drifblim.gif

Drifblim, lv. 63 w/ Leftovers
    Female // Bold // Aftermath
    - Calm Mind
    - Shadow Ball
    - Thunderbolt
    - Will-O-Wisp
    salamence.gif

Salamence, lv. 63 w/ King's Rock
    Male // Jolly // Intimidate
    - Dragon Claw
    - Zen Headbutt
    - Crunch
    - Rock Slide
    hawlucha.gif

Hawlucha, lv. 65 w/ Expert Belt
    Female // Jolly // Limber
    - Rock Slide
    - Power-Up Punch
    - High Jump Kick
    - Poison Jab
    charizard.gif
    charizard-megay.gif

Charizard, lv. 63 w/ Charizardite Y
    Male // Timid // Blaze
    - Solar Beam
    - Focus Blast
    - Flamethrower
    - Air Slash

Years
    • Seen Nov 17, 2019
    Kanto update 2
    The second gym was really easy and didn't give me any problems at all. Right now my rattata is my mvp since it took down both gyms almost entirely by itself.

Attachments

• blue monotype challenge - gym 2.PNG
      blue monotype challenge - gym 2.PNG
      34.1 KB · Views: 3

Blastin'Tyruntz

Keeps blasting off again!
    Years
  • Well I trained in the complex for a while, grinding up and my Lillipup evolved into a Herdier! That'll surely help in defeating Roxie

Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2019
    I am still here I have been busy for the last few days and haven't been able to play Pokemon for awhile but I played a little last night on my Water Mono challenge last night so here is some of my progress.

Ruby Water Monotype Challenge - 10-17-16

Spoiler:

Pekin

Years
    Game:
    Y
    Badges: 8
    Challenge complete!

Leaf Green, Soul Silver, Omega Ruby, Platinum, Black 2, Y (8/8)

Alright, so last time I was headed for Victory Road. Victory Road was easy enough, I kinda rushed through it because I wanted to finish. The E4 wasn't too much trouble, either. Hawlucha was able to set up against Malva's Pyroar, then take out the rest of her team. Drifblim survived Siebold's Clawitzer long enough to set up and take out most of his Pokémon, but eventually Charizard had to step in. Hawlucha and Charizard took out Wikstrom's Pokémon in a team effort. Swanna spammed Ice Beam and OHKO'd Drasna's entire team.

I led with Charizard against Diantha, and it would have been a walk in the park, if it wasn't for that stupid accuracy on Focus Blast. Tyrantrum took out Charizard, then Salamence took out Tyrantrum. Gardevoir finally defeated Salamence, so I sent out Vivillon against Gardevoir - mainly because I hadn't used Vivillon yet in my E4 challenge. So, Vivillon put Gardevoir to sleep, set up and destroyed her. Victory! Oh, and Charizard OHKO'd all of AZ's team.

Here's my final team:
    vivillon-continental.gif

Vivillion, lv. 70 w/ Silver Powder
    Female // Timid // Compound Eyes
    - Sleep Powder
    - Bug Buzz
    - Quiver Dance
    - Hurricane
    Compound Eyes + Sleep Powder and Hurricane is beautiful. This moveset was spectacular and more than made up for Vivillon's sub-par stats. She was also the first Pokémon I caught during this challenge, love this one.
    swanna.gif

Swanna, lv. 70 w/ Icicle Plate
    Female // Timid // Keen Eye
    - Roost
    - Ice Beam
    - Air Slash
    - Surf
    Next up is Black 2, so I might have to use Swanna again. I didn't mind, though, Swanna was pretty cool. If nothing else, Ice Beam and Surf are always good moves to have. Not exactly powerful, but - eh - powerful enough, I suppose.
    drifblim.gif

Drifblim, lv. 67 w/ Leftovers
    Female // Bold // Aftermath
    - Calm Mind
    - Shadow Ball
    - Thunderbolt
    - Will-O-Wisp
    I love Drifblim's design to death, but its stats are weird and difficult to utilize, but in the end, I settled on something kinda defensive. It worked, too, but it wasn't always easy to pull off.
    salamence.gif

Salamence, lv. 68 w/ King's Rock
    Male // Jolly // Intimidate
    - Dragon Claw
    - Zen Headbutt
    - Crunch
    - Rock Slide
    Well, Salamence is a beast, obviously. It was the last member of my team to gain its Flying-type, and for a while, its moveset was kinda weird, but after it finally evolved and learned a decent STAB move, it was unstoppable.
    hawlucha.gif

Hawlucha, lv. 67 w/ Expert Belt
    Female // Jolly // Limber
    - Rock Slide
    - Power-Up Punch
    - High Jump Kick
    - Poison Jab
    I realize that Power-Up Punch may not be the best move, but I just can't help using it, and I love this wrestler bird. I had a hard time deciding on a final moveset, but in the end, this worked really well.
    charizard.gif
    charizard-megay.gif

Charizard, lv. 69 w/ Charizardite Y
    Male // Timid // Blaze
    - Solar Beam
    - Focus Blast
    - Flamethrower
    - Air Slash
    Designated team mega and MVP, how can you go wrong with Charizard? Especially after finalizing its moveset, it was a force to be reckoned with.

All in all, this was a fun challenge, even though I'm getting a little tired of Kalos, it's kind of a forgettable region, but maybe that's just me. I might have to start Black 2 up today, this UMC is drawing to a close!

Years
    • Seen Nov 17, 2019
    These two gym battles weren't too bad.
    Surge I took out just with my persian and the battle with Erika didn't go quite as smoothly, but it wasn't too bad still.

Blue (4/8), Gold, Ruby, Diamond, White 2, Y

Attachments

• blue monotype challenge - gym 3.PNG
      blue monotype challenge - gym 3.PNG
      47.6 KB · Views: 1
    • blue monotype challenge - gym 4.PNG
      blue monotype challenge - gym 4.PNG
      48.9 KB · Views: 2

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    Steel Monotype on Y, Update 6
    -Exited Lavarre City to Route 15 or 16 or whichever it was. Has a very autumn look to it, which is pretty appropriate for this time of year. It's also longer and more windy than I remember. Also checked out the Lost Hotel, or what part of it I could anyway, since I haven't bothered to learn all the roller skate tricks required to gain access to the whole thing.

-Made it to Dendemille Town.....which I kinda forgot came up now. I didn't forget that it existed, I just thought it came later in the game for some reason. Thought I was gonna be at Anistar already lol.

-After checking out the town, headed north to Frost Cavern, cuz at least I remembered that you have to do that first lol, bumping into Trevor along the way. I swear they always have to have at least one ice sliding puzzle area in these games....

-Got to the deepest part of the cave, ready to deal with the Team Flare people harassing the Abomasnow. Trevor just so happens to show up again, though really I could've done it without him. Team Flare is so weird though, like what was Lysandre smoking when he made this group and why did he accept some of these people?

-Left Frost Cavern, went to Route 17. Out into the the blizzard. I hate the cold =(
    Not exactly dressed the best for the freezing hell, idk about you but this:
    Spoiler:

is probably not the best way to dress for a snowstorm.

Mamowsine is also smaller than I thought it'd be/remember it being. At least it's big enough that you're above the snowline.

-As I get near the gateway building to Anistar, Calem calls me up on the Holo Caster to issue another challenge to me and I'm like calem it is fucking freezing why couldn't you have waited like another 5 seconds till I got inside where it's warm >=[

-Entered Anistar City, where I was greeted by Sina, who tells you that there's a guy who knows about the legendary Pokemon of Kalos. Doing the obviously sensible thing, I don't go straight to this man and instead go to other places in town, like the Pokemon Center and the boutique. Then I talked to the old guy. The more interesting thing though is how the girl who I assume is his granddaughter or something mentions how another group besides Team Flare asked them about the Kalos legendaries a few years ago. Who were these people though? Yet another unanswered question of X/Y.

-Finally got around to fighting Calem like he wanted. I won, obviously, but he put up a better fight this time at least. Then went into the Gym, which is a maze but fortunately it's not really (who likes mazes anyway?). The trainers were easy enough to cut down, and Olympia fared no better.

-Went outside, and Calem for some reason wants to challenge me again despite losing like 10 minutes earlier. But he's interrupted by Lysandre, who finally announces his plot to commit genocide against the human race. idk about you, but if I was to try and commit genocide, I might not, y'know, let everyone know about it. But this is Team Flare so what do you expect. So for next time we get to do the game's climax.

Badges:
    40px-Bug_Badge.png
    40px-Cliff_Badge.png
    40px-Rumble_Badge.png
    40px-Plant_Badge.png
    40px-Voltage_Badge.png
    40px-Fairy_Badge.png
    40px-Psychic_Badge.png

Battle Party:
    1) Alpha Yato
    doublade.gif

2) Thumper
    steelix.gif

3) Ferrothorn
    ferrothorn.gif

4) Lucario
    lucario.gif

Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2019
    This is a separate run from my Ultimate Run .

Forum User Name: SilentDreamer28
    Pokémon Type: Poison
    Challenge Mode: Single
    Game(s): Pokemon Y

Ulitmate Water Monotype Leaf Green Log -

Spoiler:

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jun 4, 2017
    I'm also going to start a Fire Monotype on Red

Forum User Name: PekoTAS
    Pokémon Type: Fire
    Challenge Mode: Single
    Game(s): Red

Additional Rules: Game is played on "Set", and items are not permitted during battles. (Pokeballs can only be thrown in random encounters)

Pekin

Years
    Game:
    Black 2
    Badges: 2

Leaf Green, Soul Silver, Omega Ruby, Platinum, Black 2 (2/8), Y

So, I finally started the final chapter of my Flying-type UMC. Black 2 is probably my favorite Pokémon game of all time, so this ought to be fun. I started off with Oshawott, and as soon as possible, I grabbed myself a Pidove. I wanted a decent nature, and my game has the season set to summer right now, so there's only a 5% chance of finding Pidove on the first route it's available. So soft resetting took some time. Anywho, Pidove quickly proved itself to be a tiny little powerhouse, easily taking down Cheren's Pokémon with Quick Attack and Roxie's with Return, Work Up and Air Cutter. After the battle against Roxie, Pidove evolved! As a side note, Roxie's gym is my favorite gym ever. Now I'm off to crush the Captain's dreams and take the ferry to Castelia.

Current team:
    tranquill.gif

Tranquill, lv. 21 w/ Silk Scarf
    Female // Adamant // Big Pecks
    - Return
    - Work Up
    - Air Cutter
    - Roost

Polizard

Awesome Trainer
    Years
  • Final Kalos/Challenge Update
    Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Bug Catcher Lathan

I'm a fan of creatures of the insect variety
    Years
  • Read my username and don't read the type and just guess what it could be.

Username: Bug Catcher Lathan
    Type: Bug
    Challenge: Ultimate
    Games: Blue, Gold, Emerald, Platinum, White, Y

Last edited:

USC Yuuka

The USC
    Years
  • Username: USC Yuuka
    Type: Fire
    Single or Ultimate?: Ultimate
    Games: Moemon Fire Red, Moemon SacredGold, Moemon Emerald, Moemon Platinum, Black, X

Additional Rule: Since SacredGold isn't completely Moemon yet (hope it will be eventually o^o) I'm only gonna use fire Moemon and not Pokemon in it.

Edit Fire Red update:
    Spoiler:

My Team
    Spoiler:

Last edited:

jombii

[FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][SIZE=4][COLOR=#00b05
    Years
  • ULTIMATE MONOTYPE RUN
    Types Finished: Grass LINK HERE OF ANALYSIS
    Type: Flying
    Games Done: LeafGreen, OmegaRuby, HeartGold
    Current Game: Platinum

Badges: 0

Events:
    1. No update.

Team:
    Spoiler:

Pics:
    Spoiler:

Current Game: Y

Badges: 7

Events:
    1. No updates. Trying to catch a Noibat.

Team:
    Spoiler:

So I also decided to continue my Monotype Ground Challenge. I restarted my Emerald since that was where I left off. So now, I'm playing three games! Hooray for no life outside Pokemon.

Type: Ground
    Games done: Red, Crystal, Emerald
    Current Game: n/a

Events
    1. Defeated Winona.
    2. Went to Lilycove and cleared Mt. Spookiness.
    3. Evolved Trapinch.
    4. Cleared Magma Hideout.
    5. Chased after Team Aqua in their Lilycove Hideout.
    6. Evolved Numel and relearned Rock Slide.
    7. Evolved Baltoy.
    8. Defeated Twin Psychic.
    9. Cleared Seafloor Cavern and released the giants.
    10. Released Rayquaza, because why not?
    11. Defeated Juan.
    12. Cleared Victory Road and evolved Vibrava
    13. Grinding in the Pokemon League.
    14. Defeated the Pokemon League after some grinding. No battle stood up easy. Everything was mediocre. I defeated Wallace by Exploding on him on quite a few of his Pokemon. Revive + Explosion worked great.
    15. Off to Platinum (flying) will return to ground after my flying run maybe

Team:
    Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Last edited:

USC Yuuka

The USC
    Years
  • TL;DR I got to the Elite Four

The not tl;dr:
    Spoiler:

My Team so far:
    Spoiler:

Pekin

Years
    Game:
    Black 2
    Badges: 3

Leaf Green, Soul Silver, Omega Ruby, Platinum, Black 2 (3/8), Y

After taking the ferry to Castelia, I spent some time training in the sewer. I caught myself a Zubat, which I wasn't initially planning on using, but the first one I caught was Adamant, so I figured what the hell. Spent some time grinding, evolved Zubat, then challenged and defeated Burgh. Moving on

Current team:
    tranquill.gif

Tranquill, lv. 23 w/ Silk Scarf
    Female // Adamant // Big Pecks
    - Return
    - Work Up
    - Air Cutter
    - Roost
    golbat-female.gif

Golbat, lv. 26 w/ Scope Lens
    Female // Adamant // Inner Focus
    - Wing Attack
    - Astonish
    - Bite
    - Confuse Ray

Years
    • Seen Aug 18, 2017
    Username: Quizas
    Type: Normal
    Single or Ultimate?: Single
    Game: FireRed

Hope it's okay to start posting updates already?

Forgot to mention the Battle Style is on 'Set' mode.

- Chose Bulbasaur because it was the closest and then tackled the Blue's Charmander until it submitted. In hindsight giving him Charmander may not have been wise.
    - Caught Steve the Ratata (late game HM Slave maybe) and The Word the Pidgey, and relegated Bulbasaur to the Box of Despair.
    - Grinded the aforementioned Pokemon Go infestations until they were respectable levels on Route 1.
    - First Badge Brock naturally took a few attempts. The Word first threw sand into the Geodude's eyes until it could take no more than used Gust twenty times until it fainted. Got one Sand Attack in before Onix's Rock Tomb crippled my bird. Steve then quick attacked all it could and chugged down potions whenever Rock Tomb was used.
    - Went through Mt Moon, caught myself Failry the Clefairy. The Word also got more handsome on the way.
    - Forgot Blue came on the way to the Nugget bridge and nearly got demolished but the handsomeness of The Word pulled through.
    - Second Badge Failry slapped Misty's Staryu and Starmie after singing to them.
    - Steve got bigger and sweeped Blue's team with Hyper Fang. Never realised how strong this move actually is early on.
    - Third Badge Steve much too strong. Sweeped Lt. Surge like he was nothing.
    - Failry made Rock Tunnel trivial via its ability to learn Water Pulse. Becoming my best Pokemon currently. I was worried about rock Pokemon initially but not any more.
    - Fourth Badge The Word had a swift word with Erika.
    - Rescued the Silph Scope. The mighty Steve with samuari-like Cut sliced into the grunts and ironic Failry with Brick Break and Water Pulse dealt with Giovanni

Last edited by a moderator:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back