• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen The new disappointment thread

Years
    As we know, every Pokemon game has its flaws and 5th Gen is definitely no exception. While there is so much I love about these games, I know someone else may not have enjoyed something about the game as much as they expected it to be.

That said, what were your biggest disappointments regarding the 5th Gen games? Do explain your thoughts.

TheBaconToastie

Through the Sea of Time
    Years
    Can definitely tell you're a big Gen 5 fan ;)

For me there isn't a whole lot as I enjoyed the games so much but I guess my only points of disappointment come from B2/W2;

I didn't think the story quite matched up to the standards set by BW (although it was still very acceptable for a pokemon game). Also for some reason the PWT just didn't click with me - don't get me wrong it's a great concept which brought a sense of nostalgia with the classic gym leaders/trainers but I just barely played it, which heavily effected how much playtime I got out of B2/W2.

I guess what keeps me playing a Pokemon game is having more areas to explore and quests to complete.

Dedenne1

[SPAN="FONT-SIZE:16.5PX; FONT-FAMILY: SATISFY; TEX
    Years
    I have very very very few tbh i loved Gen 5 <3

BUT there was some certain pokemon that were terrible, oh no not that adorable vannilite or the cool klink no im talking about the walking trash bag Trubish. Just no idk why but i hated this little guy hes ugly and weird and the Garbodor is even worse like what the heck GF you cant be that desperate for ideas!

Besides that not much, some of the new moves i must say i dont like like quash what the heck even is that? Is it useful? idk its supposebly rare or something xD

Also one thing that i found weird was how BW2 came out after the 3DS came out and they didnt make it in 3D although i cant complain about this cause they had to change hardly any sprites except add some of coarse, could work off of what was given in black and white and still make a great game.

Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    Most of the games' weaker spots were remedied with outstanding positives (for instance, the lack of post-game in BW was made up for with a phenomenal story and characters), so I end up not being so disappointed by them.

Really, I think the only thing that disappointed me, that I feel would have actually benefited the game if they had done it, is if the Striaton Gym battle had been a Triple Battle. Looking back, it's kind of a minor thing, and I really only remembered it because I saw a picture of the three Gym Leaders recently, but I think it would have really helped implement the new battle style more, and further add to the uniqueness of the Gym. If they wanted to keep it in line with the "Black:Rotation::White:Triple" thing they had going on, they could have been a Rotation Battle in Black and that would have been appropriate, too. I guess it seems more like a missed opportunity than a disappointment all these years later, but I can remember feeling disappointed about it at the time, especially when Triple and Rotation Battles weren't really implemented into BW all that much.

It would have been nice if they expanded upon the lore presented within the Abyssal Ruins, too. It draws clear parallels to the ancient king and N, but it would have been cool if there was more to do there to further hint at the ways of the ancient civilization.

Years
    Not a fan of the first gym. It kinda defeats the purpose of a gym if it's more than one type (except for blue in Johto, that was well done.) I always felt like I was forced to pick up the monkey, even though I don't like them that much and rarely use them.

Years
    To me, there wasn't much since positives heavily outweighed negatives for me but if I had to mention one, it was likely the Musicals. There really wasn't as much thought put into them, and it got boring after a while.

I also hoped for rematchable trainers all over the region, since the Big Stadium/Small Court wasn't really enough.

Electricbluewolf

Bᴇ pıɟɟǝɹǝuʇ
    Years
    I disliked Gen 5 very much. I only liked that it had a "proper" story, one you could sort of pick yourself.

However I never cared for the main characters, Team Plasma (which I only remember the name of because of TCG) or any of the Pokemon. To me it wasn't memorable. I didn't like the interaction you had with other people, and always felt the region was to big (this is just me). Some points were very slow and I swear to god I did not want to use those stupid monkeys with anything.

I mean BW2 me and my brother didn't even bother with. We usually get the "third" installments from a series but I felt it wouldn't have added anything

Mawa

The typo Queen
    Years
    I disliked Gen 5 very much. I only liked that it had a "proper" story, one you could sort of pick yourself.

However I never cared for the main characters, Team Plasma (which I only remember the name of because of TCG) or any of the Pokemon. To me it wasn't memorable. I didn't like the interaction you had with other people, and always felt the region was to big (this is just me). Some points were very slow and I swear to god I did not want to use those stupid monkeys with anything.

I mean BW2 me and my brother didn't even bother with. We usually get the "third" installments from a series but I felt it wouldn't have added anything

... And then I just realized you have N in your signature xD

I love this generation. I love so many things about it, I've played it a lot, it is maybe my favorite game (but Gen2 got my heart, sorry Gen5). I love many Pokemon from this generation. But I have to agree with the stupid monkey XD These are fails for me... I have to say, in Gen5 we start with the worst Pokemon (in my opinion) --> not talking about starters, but the others we find at the beginning of the game.

Back