• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Next 7-Star Raid

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    So far in terms of 7-star raids we've had Charizard, Cinderace, and then Greninja to face in surprisingly some of the toughest Pokémon I've played (I've been around since Gen III), although of course some people did work out a script each time!

The obvious pattern is that we'll get another Water starter, then two Grass-type ones. I can see another pattern:
    • Charizard - Gen I fave, one of the sub-mascots underneath Pikachu, owned by Ash
    • Cinderace - Previous generation's starter, I believe quite popular? With its hidden ability, after Greninja, means all 3 starter types get a fast one with Protean / Libero in the game.
    • Greninja - Super popular from Gen VI, owned by Ash who even gave it a special forme where it looked like him that carried over into the games.
    • Blastoise - Gen I fave / Inteleon - Previous gen's starter

Your thoughts? Am I completely off-base in expecting either Blastoise (if we expect all three Gen I starters to appear) or Inteleon (if we're getting all three Gen VIII starters and 3 of Ash's most popular Pokémon)? Would you be happy if this is the case, or would you rather Feraligatr / Swampert / Empoleon / Samurott / Primarina?

Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Online now
    Buys Grass as a possible option. Hesitates to look for patterns after only three 7-star raids.

Expects either Sword/Shield starters or Legends: Arceus starters. Found data for them (as normal Pokemon, not raid bosses) in the game. Guesses Hisuian Decidueye (Tera: Ghost). Could be something like Inteleon (Tera: Dark) too. Doubts another Fire starter for a while.

Would like to see Feraligatr. Has not seen Totodile in any recent game. (Did not buy Brilliant Diamond / Shining Pearl.)

Edit: Just saw the news. Was completely wrong.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2023
    You were half right, in that the pattern is sticking with "Starter" and they went back to Gen 1. Pikachu a is technically a starter since Gen 1 had Yellow version.

I am not particularly happy about this 7 star raid since they gave us a pikachu at the start of the game. But since it's a Pokémon Day release I guess it makes sense to go with the mascot Pokémon. Pikachu has weak stats so it should be an easier raid. I wonder if they will make this a special pikachu with boosted stats?

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    Haha I can't believe my poor timing!

I think Pikachu is a break in the pattern and we'll get another 3 afterwards (Water, 2 Grass).

I would love it to be Hisuian Samurott - a good way to introduce the Hisuian formes' existence to players who didn't have PLA - but its the same typing as Greninja before Tera. So far all the raid Pokémon have been relatively frail, fast sweepers (I wonder if the Pikachu could have an unannounced Light Ball), so I think Inteleon is quite likely. But if they were to break the pattern I'd hope for Feraligatr. Gen II starters got no love in over a decade - their remakes were in 2011, they didn't get Mega or G-Max (weren't even in SwSh), and then only Typhlosion got a special new forme in Legends. Plus, Sheer Force would make its damage output devastating, and it has great coverage just like Cinderace and Greninja.

Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Online now
    Considers Surf a near certainty, yes.

Imagines a set like this:
    - Thunder
    - Surf
    - Grass Knot
    - Nuzzle

Additional moves: Rain Dance and Nasty Plot.

Some other possible moves: Volt Tackle, Light Screen, and Charge Beam. Points to Charge Beam as being a bit scary. Allows Pikachu to grab boosts on your partners. Dealt with this nonsense with Ancientpower on Coalossal.

Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2023

- Thunder
    - Surf
    - Grass Knot
    - Nuzzle

Some other possible moves: Volt Tackle, Light Screen, and Charge Beam. Points to Charge Beam as being a bit scary. Allows Pikachu to grab boosts on your partners. Dealt with this nonsense with Ancientpower on Coalossal.

If it DOESNT have Grass Knot.. My Gastrodon with storm drain is going to easily dismantle this pikachu

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    If it DOESNT have Grass Knot.. My Gastrodon with storm drain is going to easily dismantle this pikachu

Mine is Water-Tera :/

- Thunder
    - Surf
    - Grass Knot
    - Nuzzle

i could see Rain Dance on turn one. If not, Thunderbolt instead of Thunder because of the anime. Volt Tackle should be on an event Pikachu given its the signature move, but given the recoil would end the raid in seconds I don't think it will be. Nuzzle could be when the shields go up - Paralysis would help offset how frail Pikachu is in making it a challenge still. I would expect to see Iron Tail - its been on Ash's Pikachu's moveset for almost 20 years, has 100 base power and is one of the later level-up moves.

As an aside, if I can get enough invites I'm going to make sure I capture one in both game versions this time, then evolve one into Raichu. I did the same thing with my Flying one and I love it, its even cuter than Pika when it swims because of the long tail!

Sandslash Fan

Spikey Boi
    Years
  • Considers Surf a near certainty, yes.

- Thunder
    - Surf
    - Grass Knot
    - Nuzzle

Oh God, that sounds horrifying (Nasty Plot and Grass Knot coverage).

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    Anyone have ideas what they're going to use for it? I was thinking Lanturn would be ideal - breed one with Electric-Tera and Water Absorb. Immune to Surf bar one turn, keeps its Electric resistance, and doesn't take too much off Grass Knot due to weight (I think it maybe gets Recover too). But of course, its not in the game :(

Maybe just absolutely hammer it with a Dragon-Tera Hydreigon? Although then again, given there are a lot more Dragons than normal in Paldea, perhaps Pikachu packs Play Rough?

Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Online now
    Maybe Appletun. Resists Electric, Water, and Grass really well. Terastallizes into Grass, which is still good for resistances. Learns Iron Defense, Amnesia, and Recover, as needed. Brings enough offense solo with Apple Acid dropping Special Defense.

Would be interested to try Espathra (with Opportunist) against a Nasty Plot Pikachu too. Likely hits a wall with a buff clear, though.

Sandslash Fan

Spikey Boi
    Years
  • I typically duo with my friend from work, for raids, so I was thinking about two builds. I'd probably be running either a Lilligant or Breloom with Worry Seed (to get rid of Lightning Rod) and he'd run Iron Hands with the typical moveset (Belly Drum, Thunder Punch, Drain Punch, Close Combat). Then I think I'd toss Metronome on as my held item, to avoid having to buff. Possibly Technician Breloom with Bullet Seed would be fun for that, and/or Giga Drain. Was also thinking Poison Heal Breloom to avoid getting paralyzed.

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    I typically duo with my friend from work, for raids, so I was thinking about two builds. I'd probably be running either a Lilligant or Breloom with Worry Seed (to get rid of Lightning Rod) and he'd run Iron Hands with the typical moveset (Belly Drum, Thunder Punch, Drain Punch, Close Combat). Then I think I'd toss Metronome on as my held item, to avoid having to buff. Possibly Technician Breloom with Bullet Seed would be fun for that, and/or Giga Drain. Was also thinking Poison Heal Breloom to avoid getting paralyzed.

Would Loaded Dice not be better than Metronome, just to guarantee the most hits? I've purposely avoided reading about these games until I finish the story (June at my current rate) so I don't actually know what Iron Hands is haha so no comment on that one.

Maybe Appletun. Resists Electric, Water, and Grass really well. Terastallizes into Grass, which is still good for resistances. Learns Iron Defense, Amnesia, and Recover, as needed. Brings enough offense solo with Apple Acid dropping Special Defense.

Would be interested to try Espathra (with Opportunist) against a Nasty Plot Pikachu too. Likely hits a wall with a buff clear, though.

Seeing a bit of talk about the apples, I always like the design but chose a Grass starter in Sword so never got round to them, this might be the time! People using Wide Lens on Flapple to offset Hustle's accuracy decrease. Still too risky for my liking, I'd want Gravity support to really get the most out of Grav Apple.

Sandslash Fan

Spikey Boi
    Years
  • Would Loaded Dice not be better than Metronome, just to guarantee the most hits? I've purposely avoided reading about these games until I finish the story (June at my current rate) so I don't actually know what Iron Hands is haha so no comment on that one.
    If you switch to different moves, Loaded Dice would be better, but Metronome is supposed to be more potential damage if you only use the same move. Each hit of the 2-5 hits won't make the damage go up, but coupled with Technician and using the move over and over again, I was hoping to help DPS some after nerfing the raid mon's ability. I don't have enough people for the Grav Apple strat, so I was just trying to think of ways to do the raid and use something I brewed myself to enjoy the event.

Of course, now my mind has drifted to maybe using an Arboliva with Safeguard (in case of Nuzzle), Helping Hand, Light Screen, and Energy Ball.

Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2023
    First attempt at the 7 star pikachu den.. captured! Not too hard at all. Gastrodon made quick work it if it. Never even got below half health. Pikachu used surf a few times in a row and storm drain sucked it up and gave a good special attack boost.

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    First attempt at the 7 star pikachu den.. captured! Not too hard at all. Gastrodon made quick work it if it. Never even got below half health. Pikachu used surf a few times in a row and storm drain sucked it up and gave a good special attack boost.

Nice! Solo'd it?

Don't suppose you want to team up again later? If Water-tera Gastro is too weak I'll breed an Applin or something.

Sandslash Fan

Spikey Boi
    Years
  • Got Pikachu on the second raid attempt. First time with Gastrodon, it wasn't getting Storm Drain activations from Pikachu attacking other Pokémon with Surf, so it was a waste. Couldn't do any meaningful damage, and needed to be Ground tera (or Grass if I wanted to waste shards) instead of the Water one that I had on hand.

Second raid I just ended up using Meowscarada with Protean/Shell Bell. Knock Off, Grassy Terrain, Energy Ball, and Flower Trick. Used Energy Ball to charge tera, then Flower trick after tera to burn through the shield. My friend was also running the same thing minus Energy Ball and Grassy Terrain.

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    Got Pikachu on the second raid attempt. First time with Gastrodon, it wasn't getting Storm Drain activations from Pikachu attacking other Pokémon with Surf, so it was a waste. Couldn't do any meaningful damage, and needed to be Ground tera (or Grass if I wanted to waste shards) instead of the Water one that I had on hand.

Second raid I just ended up using Meowscarada with Protean/Shell Bell. Knock Off, Grassy Terrain, Energy Ball, and Flower Trick. Used Energy Ball to charge tera, then Flower trick after tera to burn through the shield. My friend was also running the same thing minus Energy Ball and Grassy Terrain.

Ah nice, I think I have a Protean Sprigatito already, probably just EV that up. Am I right in thinking people don't bother with Speed?

Sadly I'll still need to find hosts - the reddit thread that was so useful for Greninja appears to have descended into chaos, people doing it all through dms to avoid someone…and I'm shadowbanned (god knows how, I've literally only posted my FC for Pokémon Go, and spoke to people doing Greninja).

Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2023
    Ah nice, I think I have a Protean Sprigatito already, probably just EV that up. Am I right in thinking people don't bother with Speed?

Sadly I'll still need to find hosts - the reddit thread that was so useful for Greninja appears to have descended into chaos, people doing it all through dms to avoid someone…and I'm shadowbanned (god knows how, I've literally only posted my FC for Pokémon Go, and spoke to people doing Greninja).

I didn't solo it, but it was my first attempt with random online match up. Two of the other players used Meowscarada and did massive damage with it.

No need to put EVs into speed as you get the same amount of turns regardless of how fast you are!

I still have my pikachu den I haven't used up. I saved it with you in mind 😃

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    I didn't solo it, but it was my first attempt with random online match up. Two of the other players used Meowscarada and did massive damage with it.

No need to put EVs into speed as you get the same amount of turns regardless of how fast you are!

I still have my pikachu den I haven't used up. I saved it with you in mind 😃

Ah thanks so much! I'm not sure if I have enough money to fully EV my cat tonight, but I'll see what I can do. When's your availability over the event!

Back