• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Nintendo Wii U - What are your thoughts?

Dragon

lover of milotics
Years
  • The Nintendo Wii U - What are your thoughts?

A lot of people are having mixed feelings about the Wii U. Personally, I do enjoy the system, but what do you think? Is the Wii U the success, or a failure of Nintendo? What kinds of things would you suggest to improve on the Wii U? Any other thoughts? Share em' here!

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
  • The Wii U is a brilliant console, but like the 3DS, it had a slow start. This year will be a good year for the Wii U, starting with Tropical Freeze. Besides, this isn't the first time a Nintendo console is struggling; remember the N64 and the GCN? The SNES also struggled in the U.S. up until 1994 when DKC was released.

Years
  • I'm really into the Wii U and it's one of the systems I really hope to own some day. Mario 3D World pretty much solidified my view so I'm hoping to pick one up for my birthday. It had a slow start, yeah, but I'm a pretty big fan of Nintendo consoles. o/

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    You know even if 3D World ended up disappointing the Wii U still has a pretty good library with Wonderful 101, NSMBU, Lego City and Pikmin 3 available.

Too bad most people don't see that. (Beyond 3D World, ironically. lol)

Sonata Of Chaos

Harnesser of Emeralds
    Years
    • Seen Dec 15, 2014
    A pretty big problem with the WiiU, at least from my point of view, is that at hardware level is not that different from old gen's consoles, and altough the controller screen gives new possibilities, apparently it's not much: not too far ago, people kept on confuse the WiiU and Wii. On the game side, the WiiU has some pretty neat games, and I'm waiting fro both Mario Kart 8 and the new Smash Bros.
    So then, for me the WiiU is not a failure, yet it's not something that can go under concorrency too well.

New Eden

Ascension to heaven
    Years
  • I do not plan on getting a Wii U in the forseeable future. There are literally only two games that appeal to me, neither of them are out yet (DKC and Smash Bros.,) and there's no way in hell I'm sinking almost $500 just to play those games (give me five games and maybe I'll cave.)

I expect to see the Wii U continue to stumble as the PS4 and even the Xbox One passes it in terms of sales and games that seem appealing.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    I love Wii U, and play games on it every other day. Only have three games in my library right now, though (used to have more, but I traded them all in), and they're Super Mario 3D World, Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker, and Skylanders. Out of them all, LoZ would have to be my most favorite. Also, can't wait 'till Mario Kart 8 is released, haha.

Years
  • I think it's weird how Nintendo repeated the same mistake they made with the 3DS - a good system with little to no "must buy" titles the first year out. I always knew I would get the Wii U eventually and got suckered in with the Wind Waker HD edition (got to love that controller ;)). I love the system and this year will see some amazing titles, so even though it's looking a bit bleak know I think Nintendo will "come through".

Railgun

Ever Day Another New Adventure
    Years
  • I love mine and plan to make it my main system till I see good reason to buy PS4. Did wish sales would pick up and hope sales do rise with the games for 2014

Years
  • I own a Wii-U. Mainly because my Wii finally stopped working about 3 months ago. Despite there being few games I'm interested in at the moment, I love the titles I have, and can't wait for more. Also, the backwards compatibility had me sold on it, as the other two new consoles don't hae that, so at least I'll have a chance to replay and pcik up older games I haen't had a chance to play or finish up.

CharizardY

Master of Fire
    Years
  • I am a huge Nintendo fan, have been since the SNES and N64 but I am waiting for the Wii U to get more games out before I even consider investing. I just purchased the 3DS XL last week and I am happy with my purchase. Plenty of games to get into.

I'm hoping Nintendo just cans the Wii U sooner than they intended with the hopes of a more powerful system. Imagine Zelda, Mario, or even a console version of Pokemon with console powers that of the PS4!!! Just saying...

Dansparce

The Unbeatable
    Years
  • I am a huge Nintendo fan, have been since the SNES and N64 but I am waiting for the Wii U to get more games out before I even consider investing. I just purchased the 3DS XL last week and I am happy with my purchase. Plenty of games to get into.

I'm hoping Nintendo just cans the Wii U sooner than they intended with the hopes of a more powerful system. Imagine Zelda, Mario, or even a console version of Pokemon with console powers that of the PS4!!! Just saying...

Yeah, 'cause that worked so well for SEGA.

Honestly, the Wii U is fine as it is. They just need to better advertise the system, try get more third party's making games for it and make some more Must-Have titles. It worked for the 3DS, so why not WiiU?

CharizardY

Master of Fire
    Years
  • We can't compare Nintendo to Sega LOL. Seriously if Nintendo made a more powerful system 3rd parties would jump on it as much as consumers would. Wii U just isn't working because they aimed for the casual gamers that can't seem to be separated from their tablets.

I'm sure we will see a Zelda game or two that will boost sells but after that, then what?

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    Are people still thinking the weak hardware is the reason the Wii U is flopping?

I can't believe people forgot the history taught us not only once, not only twice but multiple times that hardware power does NOT generate sales. If so, the PS2 would have been way behind the GCN/Xbox because it was significantly weaker.

It's all marketing. Marketing made the PS1 sell. Marketing made the PS2 a behemoth. Marketing made the DS a beast. Marketing made the Wii a must have. Similarly, lack of proper marketing made the Wii U flop. It's so simple.

And seriously, I don't get gamer's obsession with power. Nintendo's developers at least use the console to its advantage not only to get the best possible result, but also to get 60fps, which is the most important thing technically. Xbone is struggling to get that, and there's been an abundance of games with technical hiccups last gen on PS3/360. (Hilariously enough, the Wii was the most consistent in terms of frame rate.)
    All said and done, game design is really what matters the most. The one difference that 3D World on PS4 would make, for arguments sake, is better graphics. But the game on the Wii U is already a looker because of the proper use of lighting and art style (and it looks better than Knack because of that. Art style > power), so it's not like it's THAT much of a loss.

And if power is really what matters, everyone and their mother would invest on a PC. Why bother with a PS4?

Really, that stupid ass name and Nintendo's incompetence is the Wii U's biggest downfall. Not the hardware. Not the games.

Last edited:

CharizardY

Master of Fire
    Years
  • It's not an obsession with power, it's what the power can produce. Many developers have publicly came out and said with the "power" of the PS4 and it's hardware, making games has been refreshing and less limited.

Nintendo has failed in that department which is depressing considering Nintendo was king at one point. They just started making HD games for the love of God. Sure marketing matters but I really don't think that's gonna help considering they have only a hand full of games worth mentioning. Tropical Freeze, Mario Kart, and Smash Bro's will sell, no doubt but those are all Nintendo games!

I agree with one things though, the name Wii in general was horrible!

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    It's not an obsession with power, it's what the power can produce. Many developers have publicly came out and said with the "power" of the PS4 and it's hardware, making games has been refreshing and less limited.
    Something Nintendo's been doing that others with more powerful hardware are failing at?

I've been mentioned it already, out of the big three, Nintendo is the only one that consistently delivers the polished gameplay at 60fps. Super Mario 3D World is technically perfect.

CharizardY

Master of Fire
    Years
  • That information will be obsolete come a year or so from now. Developers are busy working on titles for the other two systems while Nintendo Wii U only produces Nintendo products. 60fps is awesome, trust me I know! I play many games on my PC.

The Wii U isn't pushing graphics like this:
    The Nintendo Wii U - What are your thoughts?

Glameow

Purrrfect~
    Years
  • They just started making HD games for the love of God.

Are you referring to those HDremakes? Because honestly, those are a dime a dozen on any console, so I commend them on waiting around to rerelease things, as a lot of developers are shoving those down everyone's throats at the moment.

Super Bling

Clair pretty thick, huh?
    Years
    • Seen May 10, 2014
    The Wii U is not a bad system, it is not meeting the "standards" of today's gaming. Yes it is in HD, but the sexbox and the piss3 had it way before. Not to mention the Wii U's gimmick (gamepad) is not really enough to get anyone to really be interested in it.

Don't get me wrong though...when Smash 4 and MK8 comes out...Wii U sales will probably skyrocket. Actually I don't think; I know.

Back