• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Official Shiny Thread

Years
    • Seen Nov 2, 2009
    Picked up a shiny dratini through the game corner in FireRed, caught a shiny makuhita in emerald, caught a shiny ponyta (it's blue) in diamond and caught a shiny starly in platinum

rnstyip

"Next please!"
    Years
    Lol I don't use any of the above, so I only have one Shiny. I met it in the Safari Zone:

Shiny Exeggutor-In Firered

Deoxys55

Deoxys Collector
    Years
    150 Max Repels + days and hours of my life + 50 ultra balls + 5 Repeat Balls + 6 Quick Balls = 19 normal Dittos and...
    1 shiny Ditto.

...What did I do wrong? D:

(This was chaining, BTW. XB)

blueblur155

Proud American Citizen
    Years
    Easier way to get shinys?

i just saw some one on a different thread that posted that breeding a japanese pkmn with an english pkmn gives you a better chance of getting a shiny. can somebody please verify this for me?

Sweet Jasmine

s m i l e :)
    Years
    Well i never seen a Shiny Pokemon in Pokemon Pearl/Diamond or even Platinum.. I just saw one when i used Action Replay Codes :3.. By the way where did you see the different thread that posted that breeding?

TFN

Blastiose fan XD
    Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2011
    Its the Musada effect and I think it works check out the Shiny thread theres a link to it on there

Blaziken_Boy

Back for now
    Years
    DimJim's Quest for Sparkles (or Help with Poké Radar)

I want to get my first shiny Pokémon, and I want to go big. A shiny Bidoof would be the biggest let-down in my entire life, so I'm going rare. Since something like a shiny Togepi or Ditto is too time-consuming for me (Trying to find a good small patch), I'm hunting Wobbuffet in Lake Verity. Anyone got any tips? Right now, I'm using a level 62 Empoleon with a Cleanse Tag.

Even better would be good small patches for these Pokemon:

Smeargle
    Larvitar
    Chatot

This also proves to be good for egg hatching.

Also, it seems that sometimes, the grass patches stop wiggling during a streak and I can't find any more. Does this happen normally, am I missing something, or am I not supposed to KO the Pokemon?

Last edited:
    Years
    First of all, use repels, not a cleanse tag. If you find a wild one, even if it's the same one you're chaining, outside of a patch, your chain breaks.

Pick a nature you want and breed a kadabra with it, so your shiny has a 50% chance of being that nature if your kadabra is first in the party. (you don't need to keep it there the whole time, just when you walk into the shiny patch)

Your chain can and will break if you go to a patch on the edge of the grass. If you do, the location chosen to shake has a chance of being outside the grass, and none may shake at all, breaking your chain. (you can tell because the music reverts to the non-pokeradar music)

And finally, the bigger the patch, the better, so that you can see more patches 4 spaces away.

Good luck, of course! =D

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
    Years
    • Age 8
    • +
    • Seen Sep 15, 2020
    First of all, use repels, not a cleanse tag. If you find a wild one, even if it's the same one you're chaining, outside of a patch, your chain breaks.

Pick a nature you want and breed a kadabra with it, so your shiny has a 50% chance of being that nature if your kadabra is first in the party. (you don't need to keep it there the whole time, just when you walk into the shiny patch)

Your chain can and will break if you go to a patch on the edge of the grass. If you do, the location chosen to shake has a chance of being outside the grass, and none may shake at all, breaking your chain. (you can tell because the music reverts to the non-pokeradar music)

And finally, the bigger the patch, the better, so that you can see more patches 4 spaces away.

Good luck, of course! =D

I suggest you'd follow all this, yes. Though for repels of course, make sure that you use Max Repels. It lingers in the air longer and it'd get pretty annoying to keep on using regular Repels or Super Repels if you didn't use Max Repels.

Also I suggest you save a lot of money and buy like 30 or a bit less Max Repels because you are going to need plenty.

Years
    i just saw some one on a different thread that posted that breeding a japanese pkmn with an english pkmn gives you a better chance of getting a shiny. can somebody please verify this for me?

Yeah, that's right. I believe it's called the Masuda method (or somebody's method, anyways, Masuda's could be a different one. I'm New to shiny hunting..).
    Anyways, they don't have to be japanese and english. As long as the two parents are from different countries, the Shiny hatch chance increases from 1/8xxx to 1/2xxx.. Not sure of the official rates, so i used x's. Basically, if the two parents are foreign to each other, the odds of Shiny offspring become about a quarter of the standard chance. (Apologies, people, I really don't think i'm phrasing this correctly.)

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
    Years
    Blaziken_Boy: Super Repel are cheaper in the long run, but yes, Max Repel are less distracting to reuse.

Seriously, I would suggest carrying a good 100 Max Repel, if you ever want to have a successful chain. Rare pokemon are harder to chain. What if you reach your 30th repel, and you're on a chain of 35 and haven't found a shiny? Yeah, you'd run out and be screwed. Remember, it's always better to be safe than sorry. Start abusing the Amulet Coin on the old couple on route 212 or the E4 for some cash.

Also, I suggest using this method instead of the "patches 4 spaces away," which is flawed. Still, there are some faulty patterns. If you'd like to see those, I can send the link.

blueblur155/giradialkia: Yes, it's real, and it is called Masuda's method (Masuda works for Game Freak and he encouraged players to use the GTS to obtain foreign pokemon, so he added in this special feature). Supposedly, the shiny ratio is 1/2048 instead of 1/8192. Simply, breed international parents. Keep in mind that Everstone will not affect the child's nature.

Best of luck to you aspiring shiny hunters.

Back