• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Challenge] The Ones that got away v3

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
  • might not start right away bc i'm very busy, but i've always loved this challenge and i'm happy to see it back! i've included some pokemon that i have used but either not in this gen or i haven't used in a very long time and kinda forgot the experience lol. i think it's pretty obvious from the list i'm not a huge sinnoh fan whoops. also no need to worry about any limitations for me, i have the ability to trade.

Username: sydian
    Game: platinum
    Pokemon that got away:
    Spoiler:

Years
  • might not start right away bc i'm very busy, but i've always loved this challenge and i'm happy to see it back! i've included some pokemon that i have used but either not in this gen or i haven't used in a very long time and kinda forgot the experience lol. i think it's pretty obvious from the list i'm not a huge sinnoh fan whoops. also no need to worry about any limitations for me, i have the ability to trade.

Username: sydian
    Game: platinum
    Pokemon that got away:
    Spoiler:
    I'm not really a fan of Sinnoh Pokémon neither, but you totally have to try Wormadam, Pachirisu, Toxicroak, Gastrodon, Lickilicky and Mamoswine.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • I'm not really a fan of Sinnoh Pokémon neither, but you totally have to try Wormadam, Pachirisu, Toxicroak, Gastrodon, Lickilicky and Mamoswine.

perfect, i'm just glad i didn't get stuck with any weather inducing pokemon tbh lol. also i was really hoping for gastrodon so this is gonna be fun...and lickilicky is quite possibly one of my least favorite pokemon ever, but that move coverage is going to make things interesting.

anyway, i'll be trading in a burmy as soon as i can since it's the first pokemon i would normally be able to obtain, but i won't have any of them until valley windworks and i want to do as much of the run as possible with what's in my assigned team. i'll update...eventually. :) lol

Years
  • The Ones that got away in Pokémon Ultra Moon

gumshoos.gif
    mawile.gif
    basculin-bluestriped.gif

PART 2

Let's talk about Mawile. Her Steel-typing in combination with Intimidate made her perfect tank for the early game. Sadly he doesn't get any Steel-type attack at this point. I'll have to wait until Ula'Ula Beach to teach her Iron Head. I taught her Brick Break and gave her Fightinium Z, which proved to be lifesaver in few battles.

Anyway, I backtracked and beat all the trainers I skipped and then quickly cleared first part of Akala Island. Araquanid battle was pretty okay. I started with Dorothea and hurt Araquanid just enough for Adelaide to finish it with few Tackles.

I was lucky and encountered Basculin on the first try. And he was on level 21, so I didn't even need to level him up. I called him Frederick. I gave him Waterium Z and it made another Trial extremely easy. I led with Frederick and just annihilated Totem Marowak with Hydro Vortex.

I wasn't sure about how to tackle the last Trial. I had Dorothea that could tank Solar Blade pretty well. But I wasn't sure she can actually beat Lurantis with her weak attacks. Especially since Lurantis also has Synthesis. The battle ended in an accidental PP stall on both sides. Lurantis and Kecleon against my Dorothea and bunch of healing items on my side. But once Lurantis run out of Solar Blade PPs, I was able to beat it.

I went straight to Olivia, since my Pokémon were slowly getting on her level and used Frederick to beat Anorith and Lycanroc and used Dorothea against her Lileep. There wasn't really any problems with this battle.

Team

gumshoos.gif

Adelaide, Sassy Female Gumshoos
    lvl 30, Strong Jaw @Slik Scarf
    - Tackle
    - Work Up
    - Bite
    - Sand Attack

mawile.gif

Dorothea, Calm Female Mawile
    lvl 30, Intimidate @Fightinium Z
    - Fairy Wind
    - Crunch
    - Fake Tears
    - Brick Break

basculin-bluestriped.gif

Frederick, Bold Male Basculin
    lvl 29, Adaptability @Waterium Z
    - Aqua Tail
    - Crunch
    - Soak
    - Double-Edge​

Duck

🦆 quack quack
    Years
    • he, they
    • Seen Feb 23, 2023
    - I got a bunch of Leftovers, Life Orbs managed to evolve everybody that still had to evolve and Maylene was pretty easy to deal. Holiday and Fruit Bowl destroyed most of her team and Jackie Fire Punch'd Lucario to death before it could become too much of a nuisance.
    Badges: 4/8

- The only problem with Wake was Hypnosis Poliwrath. Boy, how I hate sleep tactics. Specially since they seem to always hit in this game, like, I haven't had a single Sing / Hypnosis / Grasswhistle miss on me yet.
    Badges: 5/8

- One thing I noticed with this game is that it usually forces you to go somewhere to showcase a certain mechanic or to increase play time. Occasionally that's nice but it can get annoying.

- Byron just fell over to the might of Jackie. Expert Belt Drain Punch / Fire Punch on an Iron Fist mon was just more than his Pokémon could handle.
    Badges: 6/8

- The Galactic Execs weren't anything to write home about, and so we just go onwards to Snowpoint.

- The Snowpoint roadblock is that Regigigas is causing Earthquakes? Like, I can kinda dig it from a worldbuilding perspective and appreciate it more than Gardenia or Byron "I'm out on vacation, come fetch me" roadblocks but still it feels like filler, I don't know.

- Candice was annoying because of Snow Cloak Double Team Glaceon. Also 100% accurate Blizzards, which freeze a lot. Yay for cheap tactics I guess. Eventually I bit the bullet, taught Lenz Sunny Day to get rid of Hail and managed to beat her in one go.
    Badges: 7/8

- Cyrus and Saturn were easy enough to deal. So, onwards to Mt. Coronet. The Execs were actually kinda challenging and then we get to the worst part of the game: Distortion World. An annoying puzzle where if you die to Cyrus or Giratina you get to do it all over again. Fun.

Still, we've prevailed and now we're on the final stretch: all that's left is Sunyshore and the E4.

Team:

Lenz the Magnezone @ Light Clay
    Lvl. 65
    - Flash Cannon
    - Light Screen
    - Thunderbolt
    - Thunder Wave

Holiday the Slowking @ Leftovers
    Lvl. 65
    - Slack Off
    - Amnesia
    - Surf
    - Psychic

Dampé the Dusknoir @ Leftovers
    Lvl. 65
    - Shadow Punch
    - Night Shade
    - Will-O-Wisp
    - Drain Punch

Twitter the Muk @ Leftovers
    Lvl. 65
    - Curse
    - Strength
    - Poison Jab
    - Ice Punch

Fruit Bowl the Tropius @ Leftovers
    Lvl. 65
    - Body Slam
    - Fly
    - Synthesis
    - Energy Ball

Jackie the Hitmonchan @ Expert Belt
    Lvl. 65
    - Brick Break
    - Thunder Punch
    - Ice Punch
    - Fire Punch

Years

gumshoos.gif
    mawile.gif
    basculin-bluestriped.gif
    turtonator.gif

PART 3

Getting to Ula'ula Island was easy. I had a pretty harsh battle with Hau, especially since his Raichu was faster and quite effective against my team.

I got all the way to Sophocles' Trial. I think this one is one of my favourite, but it's way too easy. But Totem Togedemaru is something else. I barely hurt it with Dorothea's Brick Break, since it has boosted Defense. Skarmory came to help Togedemaru and I got locked in a Torment. I switched to Adelaide and set up few Sand-Attacks, which made my Potion consumption a little bit more bearable. This whole battle took about 20 minutes, but even after I run out of healing and had only Frederick, I beat Togedemaru. One thing I want to note about this battle was that I used so many Crunches, but never triggered its secondary effect, so Togedemaru had +2 Defense for the whole fight.

I returned to Malie Garden and encountered Guzma, who gave me a lot of troubles. His Golisopod easily beat Dorothea and almost beat Aelaide, before I was able to force Emergency Exit. Adelaide then beat his Masquerain. I then switched to Frederick and used Hydro Vortex to finally take Golisopod down.

After that I got to Blush Mountain and hacked in Salomon the Turtonator. I randomized his IVs, nature and level (between 29-32) and gave it moves that it can learn at that point. I think Fire-type fits in this team so well.

Acerola's Trial was in many ways similar to the previous one, but at least I had Bite or Crunch on majority of my Pokémon. I also taught Iron Head to Dorothea before this Trial after some Mantine Surfing sessions. I used Adelaide to pop Mimikyu's Disguise and then beat it with a combination of Dorothea's Iron Head, Frederick's Crunch and Soak and Adelaide's Sand Attack with a bunch of Revives and Potions.

I didn't really had any problems with Team Skull and second battle with Guzma. Salomon really made a difference. I also beat Nanu pretty easily. I didn't even had to use All-Out Pummeling. I beat his Sableye with Dorothea's Fairy Wind, his Krokorok with Frederick's Aqua Tail and used Adelaide, who got destroyed by Black Hole Eclipse. So I sent Salomon against his Persian and won.

I got to Aether and saved there.

Team

gumshoos.gif

lvl 43, Strong Jaw @Slik Scarf
    - Hyper Fang
    - Work Up
    - Crunch
    - Sand Attack

mawile.gif

lvl 35, Intimidate @Fightinium Z
    - Fairy Wind
    - Iron Head
    - Fake Tears
    - Brick Break

basculin-bluestriped.gif

lvl 43, Adaptability @Waterium Z
    - Aqua Tail
    - Crunch
    - Soak
    - Thrash

turtonator.gif

Salomon, Modest Male Turtonator
    lvl 43, Shell Armor @Firium Z
    - Flamethrower
    - Iron Defense
    - Shall Smash
    - Dragon Pulse​

Duck

🦆 quack quack
    Years
    • he, they
    • Seen Feb 23, 2023
    - I got parahaxed to death (although I was pretty bruised to be fair) by a rando in Sunyshore's gym, so that's fun. Eventually I got to Volkner. Teaching EQ to Dampé and Jackie made it a fairly easy affair. Fruit Bowl contributed to kill Washtom.
    Badges: 8/8

- And of course, Drayano made a last sidequest to Route 224 for some reason. Uggggh. No matter, after dealing with it we came back to the Elite 4.

Elite 4:
    - Aaron was dealt with rather easily. Maybe because I ground up to Cynthia instead of Aaron. Jackie killed a lot of Pokémon and Dampé cleaned up the house.

- Bertha was also mopped up by Ice Punch and Drain Punch. Poor Bertha.

- Flint was harder but was still relatively easy to deal with. I probably could have dealt with it earlier if I remembered Dampé had Earthquake, lol.

- And I lost to Lucian. Sigh. One quick retread later ... we beat him just fine. One thing to note with Renegade Platinum is that the teams are drawn from a pool of four, I think? So a wipe means you might have to deal with different Pokémon and strategies which is neat.

- The main event: Cynthia. Garchomp almost destroyed my team - killing everything except Lenz (lol) who managed to tank a +2 Outrage and kill the chipped Garchom. At that moment I decided to go "Screw it", revived Holiday and then walled Lucario as I revived and healed everybody else in my team. Which I didn't really need to since Holiday and Jackie managed to deal with the rest of Cynthia's team.

Really, the whole problem with Cynthia is Garchomp.

Oh well, game's over. GG not ez.

Team:

Lenz the Magnezone @ Light Clay
    Lvl. 84
    - Flash Cannon
    - Light Screen
    - Thunderbolt
    - Thunder Wave

Holiday the Slowking @ Leftovers
    Lvl. 83
    - Slack Off
    - Amnesia
    - Surf
    - Psychic

Dampé the Dusknoir @ Leftovers
    Lvl. 85
    - Shadow Punch
    - Ice Punch
    - Will-O-Wisp
    - Drain Punch

Twitter the Muk @ Leftovers
    Lvl. 83
    - Curse
    - Strength
    - Poison Jab
    - Ice Punch

Fruit Bowl the Tropius @ Leftovers
    Lvl. 83
    - Body Slam
    - Air Slash
    - Synthesis
    - Energy Ball

Jackie the Hitmonchan @ Expert Belt
    Lvl. 86
    - Drain Punch
    - Thunder Punch
    - Ice Punch
    - Fire Punch

Final thoughts:
    - Jackie is pretty cool. It gets insane coverage (in this hack at least) and since it had some defense investment it was actually surprisingly tanky.

- Dampé was a wall and it did that job pretty well. I wish it got a few better options but it performed well enough at every step of its evolutionary chain.

- Holiday was also a wall, but unlike Dusknoir it kinda died to a physical threat relatively quickly. Still, I'm sure that if I had a team set up to support it (say, Trick Room) it'd be good enough.

- Lenz was the third wall and even when it had no job surviving (against say something with EQ) it usually did well enough to get a Thunder Wave or Light Screen up before dying.

- Fruit Bowl and Twitter were very very meh. Twitter, less so. I kinda expected more from them to be honest.

So yeah, I'd use Hitmonchan, Dusknoir and Magnezone again, would maybe use Slowking and would not use Tropius or Muk-Kanto.

Duck

🦆 quack quack
    Years
    • he, they
    • Seen Feb 23, 2023
    Username: metroid711
    Game: Soul Silver
    Pokemon that got away:
    Spoiler:

Parameters: 6 members for my team, I can't hack anything in cause its a physical copy so I can't do any trade evos (so I don't wanna use those, unfortunately), or anything that requires to be traded over from any other game, I'd like non overlapping typings if at all possible for a unique team, I'd like at least one to be obtained before the first gym leader, and finally, I'd like one member on my team being a Legendary or a Pseudo Legendary.

I'm mostly basing the Pokemon list off of Crystal since I haven't ever finished Soul Silver, so a lot of these that are on here are also ones not in the original Gen 2.

Feraligatr
    Dunsparce
    Jumpluff
    Magcargo
    Raikou
    Heracross

You can get Totodile, Dunsparce and Slugma before the first gym battle (although Dunsparce is a 1% encounter and Slugma is a Primo egg)

Jumpluff and Heracross are gated beyond Gym 1 and 2 respectively, while Raikou can in theory be caught as early as before Morty (although won't be a particularly easy encounter)

metroid711

Thumbs up~
    Years
  • Feraligatr
    Dunsparce
    Jumpluff
    Magcargo
    Raikou
    Heracross

You can get Totodile, Dunsparce and Slugma before the first gym battle (although Dunsparce is a 1% encounter and Slugma is a Primo egg)

Jumpluff and Heracross are gated beyond Gym 1 and 2 respectively, while Raikou can in theory be caught as early as before Morty (although won't be a particularly easy encounter)

Okay actually I might redo my sign up sheet, I just reopened Soul Silver and remembered I spent a week shiny hunting a shiny starter, and turns out I actually got it. Its like the first naturally hunted shiny I've ever gotten so I don't wanna just delete and toss it away. So I think I'm gonna switch my game over to one of the Gen 7 games. so I might delete my old post if thats okay.

Duck

🦆 quack quack
    Years
    • he, they
    • Seen Feb 23, 2023
    Okay actually I might redo my sign up sheet, I just reopened Soul Silver and remembered I spent a week shiny hunting a shiny starter, and turns out I actually got it. Its like the first naturally hunted shiny I've ever gotten so I don't wanna just delete and toss it away. So I think I'm gonna switch my game over to one of the Gen 7 games. so I might delete my old post if thats okay.

Of course. Feel free to change your games and remake your list!

metroid711

Thumbs up~
    Years
  • Username: metroid711
    Game: Ultra Moon
    Pokemon that got away:
    Spoiler:

Parameters: 6 mons for the team, no overlapping typings, no Ultra Sun exclusive mons (I can trade to evolve things but I don't think I wanna get someone to hunt me specific mons for this), at least one Mon can be obtained before fighting llima, and at least one mon is a Legendary or a Pseudo-Legendary (You'd be surprised how little of these I've used but have always wanted to).

I'm most likely planning on doing the RR stuff along with beating Red and Blue AND, I'm gonna rematch the Elite Four one time. Once I beat the Champion challenger I'll call it there.

Duck

🦆 quack quack
    Years
    • he, they
    • Seen Feb 23, 2023
    Username: metroid711
    Game: Ultra Moon
    Pokemon that got away:
    Spoiler:

Parameters: 6 mons for the team, no overlapping typings, no Ultra Sun exclusive mons (I can trade to evolve things but I don't think I wanna get someone to hunt me specific mons for this), at least one Mon can be obtained before fighting llima, and at least one mon is a Legendary or a Pseudo-Legendary (You'd be surprised how little of these I've used but have always wanted to).

I'm most likely planning on doing the RR stuff along with beating Red and Blue AND, I'm gonna rematch the Elite Four one time. Once I beat the Champion challenger I'll call it there.

Ariados
    Lopunny
    Malamar
    Vikavolt
    Gyarados
    Garchomp

Let me know if there are any issues

Valroxen

Self Proclaimed Trans Poke-Queen
    Years
  • Pokemon Volt White TOTGA Challenge - Update 3

So we pick back up with another rival battle! We take on Cheren again who this time was a pretty easy cakewalk, mainly because its just a regular single battle now. We beat him, met Alder, made it into Driftveil and all is good.

Next up we took on the Cold Storage thing against Team Plasma, where we found a Metal Coat and evolved Zaria into Scizor! We also found the TM for Scald for another power boost to Sasha, where we then mopped the floor with Team Plasma. After doing some more battling against the routes above and Charles, Jelli evolved into Reuniclus! Now its time to take on Clay!

Gym Battle 5: Clay

We didn't get off to the greatest of starts, misclicking Drain Punch on his Hippodown instead of Bullet Seed which allowed for him to set up Stealth Rocks along side the already going Sandstorm to cause me more issues. Carly however did managed to get the kill and also learn Seed Bomb!
    Seismitoad then finished Carly off with a Sludge Wave, meaning I had to send the newly evolved Jelli in to blast it away with Energy Ball.
    Following that was an absolute wreck fest from Sasha, managed to eat up attacks from both Krookodile, Steelix and Excadrill (I did use a few hyper potions) and with three Scalds and a couple of lucky burns we only had Marowak left to deal with.
    Gemma crushed the Marowak under Icicle Crash and that was that despite being a fair bit under levelled!

Quake Badge obtained! (5/8)

We were then challenged by Bianca, who while she did cause me some trouble was overall also blown back by my team which I've grown extremely fond off. We pick up the TM for Bulldoze off Clay, which I teach to Gemma thanks to a combo getting Sheer Force in this game and Bulldoze being buffed to 80 power instead of 60.

Chargestone Cave was a struggle, Team Plasma themselves were pretty easy to deal with, but a few of the trainers caused me problems, I spent a good 10 minutes trying to find the Life Orb (only to remember you get it post game here) and finally to end it had an extremely difficult time against N's full team of Rotom forms thanks to some bad plays and being under levelled again.

Next up I completed the Tower and all the routes surrounding Mistralton City, having to grind a lot here as I was very worried about the Skyla battle especially after the Gym Trainers and I also wanted to get Hewdraw to evolve to Hydreigon! Now its Gym time against one of my favourite Gym Leaders :3

Gym Battle 6: Skyla

Going into this fight I was extremely worried about her team causing me lots of issues, especially since it was a triple battle. Her Braviary and Mandibuzz really liked ganging up on a single Pokemon with each of their Brave Birds, which took Gemma out of the fight early.
    Sasha made the first breakthrough, finished off a Braviary weakened by multiple Brave Birds with Aurora Beam, she then followed up by taking out her Gliscor with another Aurora Beam.
    Jelli was especially useful in the fight, doubling down with Calm Mind early and successfully taking down the Mandibuzz, Skarmory and Swanna with ease.
    Archeops was the Pokemon I was afraid of most, knowing myself just how much damage it can do from experience. Sasha however had different ideas and after taking an Earthquake, used Scale to burn the birds wings up and out of the fight, giving us our next badge!

Jet Badge obtained! (6/8)

This is where I ended off for this session, since there was lots of progress and levelling up done. I expect I'll probably go for Brycen, Dragonspiral Tower, Relic Castle and Iris in the next update and then have one big update for the E4, N and Ghetsis. (not sure what I'll do post game wise because I want to do it but the posts will be looooong thanks to Gym Leader rematches, E4 rematches, Alder, Cynthia, Morimoto, Cheren and Bianca)

The Team

Spoiler:

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • Spr_DP_Ace_Trainer_F_1.png

ace trainer allison | platinum | badges: 1

Spr_4p_413.png

sis lv. 20
    anticipation / hardy
    protect / tackle / bug bite / hidden power (fire?)

let me tell you about my plight. so i got my team assigned and i said mmm i want to do this challenge with the pokemon i'm supposed to use as much as possible. i don't hack, but you can trade super early in dppt so that's easy. won't have my starter for long. and i didn't want to trade over something like swinub or lickitung bc i thought nah that makes it too easy let's be fair and trade an egg over with the pokemon that i would be able to obtain the earliest. so shellos and pachirisu are at valley windworks which is like a badge into the game okay...but you get the honey first technically iirc. which makes burmy first. technically. right? so my stupid ass...first of all, none of my 3DSes wanted to read my copy of diamond so i could breed this egg and that was the first trial. let's not also discuss how they didn't want to read my HG or platinum either. wanted to trade my last platinum team to HG you know.

they finally read the game okay. i get my egg. i'm gucci. i restart platinum and i pick turtwig bc fighting chimchar with burmy will be hard for me, but my team ends up balanced so i don't think there was really any better or worse choice i could have made. i trade my egg over and THANKFULLY it hatches female bc here's the thing y'all. i completely forgot that oh duh. burmy COULD be male. i didn't even think about that but it's a fiasco we missed. we did NOT, however, miss the fiasco that is burmy. my girl only knows protect right. the struggle training was literally a struggle. i get to level 10. we get tackle. it gets better right? no. shut up. tackle won't cut it in this rival battle. i think to myself. don't you get the hidden power TM in jubilife? surely you can just teach burmy the TM bc it learns it level up anyway right? no. you cannot - also, in platinum, that TM is not available in jubilife.

i begin to berate myself for choosing platinum bc of this but as i was checking the TM list for burmy i notice that it gets bug bite at level 15 - only in pt/hgss. so i rejoice and remember platinum is better than dp anyway and i continue the grind to level 15 for bug bite bc even though starly and chimchar will resist, it's a stronger move than tackle and it gets STAB. and while you're thinking about it, no, you can't teach burmy the TM for return either. it can't learn shit.

honestly the biggest hurdle was the rival fight, but bug bite made it easy. the trainers between there and oreburgh were chumps. i gave roark an attempt to see what i was contending with and burmy could take hits, but not dish them well enough. i was level 18 on that try and said fuck it, we'll evolve and get hidden power. so we do. i tested the move against a wild geodude and of COURSE it's not very effective...but it's a special attack and still pushes through, so i get my win against roark shortly after. i think hidden power is fire but who even knows. also i had like 6 HP left against roark.

if you read this far, i appreciate you and also wonder if you've gone as insane as i have. further updates will not be this long or drastic and tbh i think i've cleared the most difficult part this challenge will bring me - which i technically brought upon myself because if you want to really get down to it, you could get shellos or pachirisu before burmy since honey trees require waiting some hours and valley windworks is Not a far walk from floaroma. but whatever hey look ma i made it.

Years

gumshoos.gif
    mawile.gif
    basculin-bluestriped.gif
    turtonator.gif
    dhelmise.gif

PART 4

Okay, let's make this update short.

Aether and Poni Islands are sluggish mess with nothing interesting happening. I had Dorothea, who basically solo'd majority of battles here. She beat Lusamine, she beat Totem Kommo-o, she beat most of Trial Captains for Mina, Mina's Totem Ribombee, she owned Ultra Necrozma and made Hapu regret becoming Kahuna.

I also got Dhelmise and he helped too in some battles. But I caught him on level 17, so it took a while to get him on higher levels.

Also also, I'm overleveled for some reason. I'm usually slightly underleveled at the beginning of Poni Island. No idea why is it different this time. Maybe I have Pokémon with faster EXP gains. I also switched Z Crystals more this run than ever before. Especially on Dorothea, so she can land super-effective powerful attacks on her foes.

Next time I'm going to get the last member of my team and beat E4.

Team

gumshoos.gif

lvl 58, Strong Jaw @Normalium Z
    - Thrash
    - Work Up
    - Crunch
    - Sand Attack

mawile.gif

lvl 61, Intimidate @Steelium Z
    - Play Rough
    - Iron Head
    - Fake Tears
    - Brick Break

basculin-bluestriped.gif

lvl 56, Adaptability @Waterium Z
    - Aqua Tail
    - Crunch
    - Soak
    - Head Smash

turtonator.gif

lvl 58, Shell Armor @Firium Z
    - Flamethrower
    - Shell Trap
    - Shall Smash
    - Dragon Pulse

dhelmise.gif

Ludwig, Sassy - Dhelmise
    lvl 53, Steelworker @Grassium Z
    - Rapid Spin
    - Shadow Ball
    - Energy Ball
    - Anchor Shot​

Years

gumshoos.gif
    mawile.gif
    basculin-bluestriped.gif
    turtonator.gif
    dhelmise.gif
    weavile.gif

FINAL PART

I caught Gisela the Sneasel and got Razor Claw from the scientist near Tapu Village. It was night in-game, so I evolved Gisela quite quickly.

With a full team, I challenged E4. And it went pretty fine. I've always went with a super-effective Pokémon and there weren't that many obstacles. Olivia's Probopass was annoying and I've lost more Pokémon to it than I would expect, but in the end, it went down. Same goes to Hau's Vaporeon. It took down my Dhelmise with critical Hydro Pump and was too bulky for my other Pokémon to one-shot it. But aside that, it was easy run.

Let's talk about my Pokémon:

Gumshoos was weird Pokémon. It was pretty weak in the early game, required a lot of resources to be viable, but once I got other Pokémon, I've used it less and less, until I only used it accidentally during double battles on Poni Island and only once during the whole E4 fight. It wasn't as funt to use as I thought it would.

Mawile was the MVP of this run. I had no idea how good is the combination of Fairy and Steel-type in Alola. I barely used anything else during the late game.

Basculin was fine. It was perfect glass cannon. I've used it mostly for coverage against Fire-types, who were Mawile's demise.

Turtonator was a lot like Basculin. Well, it was as far as a glass cannon can go, but it did a great job taking care of Pokémon that Mawile would have problems with.

I wanted to use Dhelmise ever since the Sun and Moon were first released, but since I've picked Rowlet as my starter, there was no point in picking Dhelmise too. I think it really cool Pokémon both design and gameplay-wise. Sadly, it's super late in the game, so I didn't get many opportunities to use it. I think it was Akala Island that was heavy on Water-type, but Poni Island had barely any Water-types for Dhelmise to take care of.

I think I've used Sneasel line few years back and liked it. This time it was the same. It's glass cannon just like Basculin and does this role really well.

Overall I enjoyed this run. Thanks for reviving this challenge.

Team

gumshoos.gif

lvl 64, Strong Jaw @Normalium Z
    - Thrash
    - Work Up
    - Crunch
    - Sand Attack

mawile.gif

lvl 68, Intimidate @Steelium Z
    - Play Rough
    - Iron Head
    - Fake Tears
    - Brick Break

basculin-bluestriped.gif

lvl 63, Adaptability @Waterium Z
    - Aqua Tail
    - Crunch
    - Soak
    - Head Smash

turtonator.gif

lvl 64, Shell Armor @Firium Z
    - Flamethrower
    - Shell Trap
    - Shall Smash
    - Dragon Pulse

dhelmise.gif

Ludwig, Sassy - Dhelmise
    lvl 60, Steelworker @Grassium Z
    - Rapid Spin
    - Phantom Force
    - Power Whip
    - Anchor Shot

weavile.gif

Gisela, Rash Female Weavile
    lvl 60, Pressure @Darkinium Z
    - Night Slash
    - Poison Jab
    - Ice Punch
    - Ice Shard​

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years

ace trainer allison | platinum | badges: 2

Spr_4p_413.png

sis lv. 24
    anticipation / hardy
    protect / tackle / bug bite / hidden power (fire)

Spr_4p_417_m.png

dippitydoo lv. 22
    pickup / bashful
    spark / quick attack / charm / swift

Spr_4p_422.png

schlakalak lv. 21
    storm drain / relaxed
    mud bomb / water pulse / hidden power (fighting) / harden

lol this was a much easier patch. tbh the hardest part of it was finding pachirisu, but obviously that worked out. spent extra time in eterna forest to get the new party members caught up and guess what? i ended up only using wormadam in the gym lmfao. like what else was i gonna use. shellos is weak to grass and pachirisu? sucks. anyway i'm just glad this update came sooner instead of 10 hours in like the first part.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years

ace trainer allison | platinum | badges: 3

Spr_4p_413.png

sis lv. 29
    anticipation / hardy
    confusion / razor leaf / bug bite / hidden power (fire)

Spr_4p_417_m.png

dippitydoo lv. 29
    pickup / bashful
    discharge / sweet kiss / charm / swift

Spr_4p_423.png

schlakalak lv. 30
    storm drain / relaxed
    mud bomb / water pulse / hidden power (fighting) / body slam

i don't know why this part took so long. probably bc i'm already bored, but getting to the other half of my team and evolving shellos was pushing me through. cycling road and wayward cave were a travesty. like i felt like i was constantly having to heal after every battle. fantina's gym was a pretty intense fight. pachirisu learned discharge literally right before i went in to fight her and that timing was perfect bc i wouldn't have beaten her without the paralysis luck i got from that, as well as confusion luck from sweet kiss. i thought wormadam would be my ace again, but she got knocked out swiftly by mismagius. shellos was burned early on, but still managing. i lost pachirisu to her last pokemon, haunter, bc it was asleep forever. but shellos managed to KO it with one water pulse and get just enough experience to evolve right after the battle. pretty cliche lol this happened to me in my other challenge, too. got enough experience to evolve my flaaffy. anyway, onward!

Years
  • Hopefully I can still join in on this!

Username: StanTheSnoms
    Game: Blaze Black
    Pokemon that got away:
    Spoiler:

Parameters: I'd like a full team of 6 with varying types. I'm fine with some overlap but not too much

Last edited:
    Back