• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen The originals or the remakes?

PaperNapkin

Owner of Red Hair.
Years
  • While I grew up playing R/B/Y/G/S I have a really hard time going back to them and usually opt for the newer versions. While the graphics are quite outdated (I can't believe I could stare at the oldschool game boy screens for 8+ hours at a time and not mess up my eyes) the changes in gameplay make the newer games my choice.

123agumon

Sir Spoonerism
    Years
  • The originals. I actually don't like FR/LG or HG/SS as much. I don't know why. Maybe it's just because RBY and GSC were the first ones I ever played. (Red introducing me to Pokemon)

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • The originals. Because nothing beats the original. HG/SS feels more like a new game then a remake... and FR/LG are just plain boring if you ask me.

Outkin

OM*G PIKMIN 3!!!
    Years
  • I like the remakes better. I like the uprades myself, plus it's nice to still be able to play with the current generation. It can make great moments epic....I had goose bumps when lugia came out of the waterfall like that...

The only thing I miss is the music sometimes, sometimes I want those old chiptunes.....but thats another reason I was pleased with with HG/SS, letting you use the retro tunes again.

Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Dec 25, 2012
    Okay. I liked the original RBY over FRLG by a longshot, mainly for nostalgia factor but I also felt that it captured the intended feeling better.
    I actually liked the remake of GSC more than the originals, that's how good they were to me. I think they did a great job in keeping the old feel, but upgrading it all the same.

Years
    • Seen Mar 12, 2012
    I like the originals, because it makes me feel young again, I can go to a place in Y/B/R and remember the best times.

Treecko

the princess without voice
    Years
  • The originals for RBY because, FRLG aren't as good as HGSS. Remakes for GSC because HGSS are amazing games, plus have tons of new awesome features and you can gen Hoenn and Sinnoh Pokemon. But overall I'd go with the originals, they got nostalgic values to them.

Ss4gogeta0

Game Designer
    Years
    • Seen Sep 15, 2020
    Originals.... FR/LG are good games in general, but I prefer the Feeling of Nostalgia from playing on an old gameboy color... (I have not tried HG/SS but I doubt I will like them...)

also POKEMON GOLD FTW!!!

FireSlasherX

Master Trainer
    Years
  • I loved the HG/SS remakes, and the FR/LG remakes were good. But no questions asked, the original. So much of a nostalgic feel when playing them and to think how amazing each storyline is, I just love them.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
  • As much as Gen II is probably my favourite generation, I do love my SoulSilver a bit more than my Gold version. Maybe I'm shallow and it's just a graphical thing; maybe it's because I've played SoulSilver more recently than Gold; whatever it may be, there's a certain je ne sais quoi about the remakes that capture what made the originals so good and add a little bit more to them.

That being said, I haven't played FRLG, so can't comment on those ones. From what I've heard, however, those remakes turned out to be disappointments.

miltankRancher

Mega Ampharos is the one.
    Years
  • FRLG is okay, but not that okay. It does not merit the wow that HGSS brought me. Yes, Sevii Islands is cool, I guess, but apart from that? RBY is way better than FRLG.

darkpokeball

Beware the Chainsaw Meowth 0.o
    Years
  • Well, Gen 2 I have never liked. I have played Crystal, HeartGold, and SoulSilver and I just didn't like any of them. however, I did like the follow feature in HG/SS...so remakes for Gen 2.

For Gen 1, I have played Yellow, Red, and FireRed. I don't know why but Pokemon Red has this certain...feel to it that FireRed is missing. So, in that case the originals win.

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen yesterday
    The originals, definitely for Generation 2. It's more fun to explore Johto in Crystal than in SoulSilver. I chalk it up to nostalgic reasons and to the memories tied to that game for me. There's something missing from SoulSilver that makes me unable to complete it.

Though I do prefer FireRed/LeafGreen over Red/Blue. FR/LG felt more adventurous to me, like a big adventure. But I do love Yellow, which has a completely different feel to it than either R/B or FR/LG.

Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jul 11, 2022
    Remakes. Sure, the originals bring nostalgia, but beyond that, they're kind of lame. At least the remakes have the Battle Frontier and Safari Zone, where as the originals had only Red. FR/LG were better merely because of the Sevii Islands. Those were fun to play around on.
    I just wish they had a Battle Tower, rather than the stupid Trainer Tower, [sarcasm]even though it did give you an almighty and super rare and uber valuable Dragon Scale.[/sarcasm]

User19sq

I prefer the remakes over the originals. My only reason being that they're compatible with the migration system.

ShinyUmbreon189

VLONE coming soon
    Years
  • I prefer R,B,Y instead of FR/LG because FR/LG didn't have day and night so it was ruined. I like HG/SS more because G/S/C was my favorite games and I like how the Pokemon follow you and the Pokemon learn more moves.

Kano Shuuya

→ you're here, aren't you?
    Years
  • G/S/C
    I'm gonna be honest.. I never beat any of the original gen 2 games, and I stopped watching the anime during gen 2, as well (Got back into with gen 3). I didn't hardly care for Johto at all until the remakes came out, and even then.. I've got Heart Gold sitting there in my room unfinished. I have no idea what it is, or the reason for it, as to why I can't get through a Johto game. It baffles me, they just don't grip me, yet all the other gens have. /shrug The remakes still beat out the original by a long shot, though.

FR/LG
    These I liked just fine, and I've played LG twice, and enjoyed them just as much as I liked the original three games. There's not much to say about them past that, but yeah. I like the remakes more than the original, because it's same freakin' thing just prettier, that's my logic right there.

Both
    The remakes are better. xD

Raichupacabra

Villain
    Years
  • The originals are good due to the nostalgia I get playing them. But I like the remakes better due to their being things to do after you beat the whole game.

Crystal had a Battle Tower, but I'm mainly referring to Gold and Silver.

I prefer R,B,Y instead of FR/LG because FR/LG didn't have day and night so it was ruined. I like HG/SS more because G/S/C was my favorite games and I like how the Pokemon follow you and the Pokemon learn more moves.

You are aware Red, Green, Blue, and Yellow didn't have the Day and Night system either?

Last edited:

Heart's Soul

Hey, look, I was gone.
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Aug 20, 2020
    This is like going to a Mac forum and asking if they like Mac or PC more. :\

Of course, RGrBYGlSC is better than FrLgHgSs!

rITual

We're only animals.
    Years
  • Like many, I prefer the originals. It's rare that something can be remade and actually be better than it's original.

Everything they thought was wrong with it (reasons to release FR/LG) actually made it one of the best and most memorable games ever.

Back