• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen The Protagonists

Years
  • What really confuses me is that they didn't use Brendan or May as to describe them. They instead use "Male Main Character" and "Female Main Character". I'm pretty sure since they are remakes, they should be named, right?

Hmm, interesting observation, I didn't take note of that before. Well, it may just be the developers intending to sound more official with their labeling to better address a wider audience, instead of simply people already familiar with Brendan and May, but that seems a tad obscure. I don't think they'll get new names, but am prepared to be proved wrong, haha.

Years
  • So far, the only character who received a new name was Gold (and Blue/Leaf if you want to count her; conversely, since Leaf's design is very different from what Blue's could've been, they can be seen as different people), so I can't see the ORAS protags. being called differently, especially since they look very similar to Brendan and May. But you never know; Game Freak's known for surprising people, after all XD

Itcheeee

All Hail Shadow
    Years
  • Exactly my thoughts. May to me came off as an athletic tomboy, not a cutsey ditz as the ribbons suggests now, kind of tired of that being the female archtype in anime. Maybe if that ribbon was at least not so in your face but off to the side like Dawn's scarf maybe I'd see the summer appeal but... not how it currently is. My problem with the ribbon is that it looks childish, like something a 4-year old would wear, when clearly May is a lot older than that, I need to see some maturity in someone supposidly saving the world and beating the elite 4. I cant take her seriously if she cant fit the part shes supposed to live up to. For Brendan, the wetsuit works because it makes him look smarter, and age appropriate. He holds the athletic look I wanted may to have. Why cant girls be athletic Gamefreak? Why do they always have to look like moe? C'mon.

I'm not sure if they even realized how symbolic May's bandanna was. Looking it up, quite a bit of Merchandise was made of her bandanna (mainly from the Manaphy movie, but not all of it! Some was random :) ) Of course this is the anime May, but still same design. I'm realizing more and more how much Serena's design is just unfitting for a Pokemon "world saving trainer" who, is supposed to train 700 some monsters. I just can't see Serena, or the new May actually raising a Tyranitar <.< Begging they will let you customize the outfits, with some nice OUTDOORS clothes >_O On a side note I was excited to eventually cosplay "awesome remake May", now I think I'll just be making my RS/E May cosplays better instead. :C

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • Isn't it a bit stereotypical to say she looks like a ditz simply due to a ribbon? The girl is 10...10 year olds still wear ribbons like those...and they aren't necessary dumb either.

I think Rose and Dawn are more cute than the current May...

I did like better her bandana though...it's like Brendan without his hat...

Years
  • The ribbon on May honestly doesn't faze me, it's just a way to spice up the characters, make it feel more like an upgrade from RSE instead of blank, carbon-copy remake of the original Hoenn games. As much as I love May's old design, I would've been disappointed if they didn't revamp her outfit for ORAS.

Years
  • I did like May's bandanas, but I think the ribbon on the female protag. is quite cute <3 If they bring back Trainer customization, I hope they'll include her RS and Emerald bandanas (as well as some in different colors; would love to see a blue one like Sapphire from PokeSupe had in the Emerald arc) as well as alternate colors of her ribbon.

antemortem

rest after tomorrow
    Years
  • The ribbon on May honestly doesn't faze me, it's just a way to spice up the characters, make it feel more like an upgrade from RSE instead of blank, carbon-copy remake of the original Hoenn games. As much as I love May's old design, I would've been disappointed if they didn't revamp her outfit for ORAS.

thankyouuuuuuuuu I'm hating that people say she's more cutesy just because of the change in her headwear. If anything it's just a thinner bandanna not wrapped around her entire head.

Years
  • Isn't it a bit stereotypical to say she looks like a ditz simply due to a ribbon? The girl is 10...10 year olds still wear ribbons like those...and they aren't necessary dumb either.

I think Rose and Dawn are more cute than the current May...

I did like better her bandana though...it's like Brendan without his hat...
    Maybe, but its stereotypes like it that undermine characters like her who was intended to be taken seriously as an equal to the male character as a badass trainer, not as yet another fashion obessed girly-girl. May was the only one since Kris that wasn't too overly feminine. As cute as Dawn was created to be, she at least looked like a pokemon character... Rosa, Hilde, Serena look so generic it burns me eyes.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • Maybe, but its stereotypes like it that undermine characters like her who was intended to be taken seriously as an equal to the male character as a badass trainer, not as yet another fashion obessed girly-girl. May was the only one since Kris that wasn't too overly feminine. As cute as Dawn was created to be, she at least looked like a pokemon character... Rosa, Hilde, Serena look so generic it burns me eyes.
    She doesn't look that cutesy at all. Can't a girl be cute and badass at the same time? I dislike it when people criticize women today as being weak if they don't dress more like men (aka not cutesy and not wearing a dress).

Last edited:
    Back