• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Protagonists

Years
    The Protagonists

The Protagonists

As is typical for every new main series Pokemon game, new player character designs are revealed, whether they be redone versions of old characters or new characters entirely.

What are your thoughts on the new protagonist designs? Which one do you intend to play as?

Sirfetch’d

They aren't drastically different from the originals, especially the boy. I do like them however!

Charlie Brown

[font=lato]coolcoolcool[/font]
    Years
    There's not much to say from what we've seen so far tbh, though I do like the guy's design. Skins + shorts is a cool combo lol. Glad to see they haven't lost their vacant smiles

CidHazard

just a miserable pile of secrets
    Years
    The guy dresses like me when I'm just chilling in my house :D

Hope they actually get facial animations during cut scenes tho cause if not they need to give us more shades and tinted Glasses XD

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    I think they look very boring tbh haha. The SuMo designs were a lot more interesting.

These don't even look like standardized initial trainer outfits tbqh. They look more like something somebody customized in the game after a while playing.

blue

gucci
    Years
    Not much of a fan tbh, they look very similar to the protagonists in Sun & Moon. At least the female character looks better. Customization will most likely be back anyhow so it's not much of an issue.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
    Now that I look at it, it is possible that they are Older Versions of the SM ones.

I don't see how they are more childish though, they seem older to me.

To answer, I like this designs way better.

Years
    Hope they actually get facial animations during cut scenes tho cause if not they need to give us more shades and tinted Glasses XD

Hopefully Game Freak reacted to all the controversy over the S/M protagonist having a lack of emotion so I do hope they learned and will add actual expression in important scenes now.

As for my opinion on these new character designs, they are definitely a step-up from S/M. I will be playing as the female once again as per tradition, but I think she's fast becoming a new favourite protagonist design for me. Not just because of wearing cute short shorts once again, but that new hairstyle reminding me of one of my all-time fave female game protagonists which was Hilda from B/W.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
    Hopefully Game Freak reacted to all the controversy over the S/M protagonist having a lack of emotion so I do hope they learned and will add actual expression in important scenes now.

As for my opinion on these new character designs, they are definitely a step-up from S/M. I will be playing as the female once again as per tradition, but I think she's fast becoming a new favourite protagonist design for me. Not just because of wearing cute short shorts once again, but that new hairstyle reminding me of one of my all-time fave female game protagonists which was Hilda from B/W.
    Hilda, eh? I can't really see the resemblance between their hairstyles :/. I mean Hilda wore a ponytail.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
    Spoiler:

Notice those pigtail-like things on the sides of her face. They are very similar to the new female protagonist's hair.

Still don't see that much a resemblance. The new girl seems to have braided twin ponytails if you look closely opposed to side bangs. Though maybe it's just because her hair is black and not brown like Hilda's that I can't really see the similarity :/.

Years
    I'll play as the male as usual. But these designs sort of remind me of BW2 where they kept a lot of facial features from the old protagonist.

Years
    I think the more important question we should be asking is:

Are they going to have any reaction other than :) during the whole story???

I hope so, because these games will have improvements from Sun & Moon and I hope facial expression is one of them. I know the protagonists are meant to be a blank state whose personality is projected by the player, but I still want reactions to be done well.

I'll play as the male as usual. But these designs sort of remind me of BW2 where they kept a lot of facial features from the old protagonist.

Interesting you noticed, because the male protagonist wearing leggings under shorts is very much what the design of Nate from B2/W2 had with his outfit as well.

Years
    Also: design-wise, I might be in the minority that doesn't see a significant difference. I don't know if those are default outfits or just boring customizations.

They seem to be the default outfits most likely. Hopefully a future trailer can reveal their official artwork so that we can get a better look at them.

Back