• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Pyromancers: Fire-type Pokémon Club

Wicked3DS

[b]Until the very end.[/b]
    Years
    I actually forgot to reply to Dedenne's comment (and this was days ago O_O), but I totally agree that Typhlosion needs a Mega. It could benefit from a boost to its Attack stat since it gets some extra help from its physical movepool. It could also gain Ground-type to get a STAB Earthquake. Feel free to discuss this more if you choose, but I am going to introduce a new Pokémon of the Week, so without further ado...

Spoiler:

Entei!

Ruby/Sapphire Pokédex: Entei embodies the passion of magma. This Pokémon is thought to have been born in the eruption of a volcano. It sends up massive bursts of fire that utterly consume all that they touch.

Entei is awesome. It's a very strong physical attacker and it has some good moves to boot, plus it's one of my favorite legendaries. I like its design as well because it's pretty intimidating.

Dedenne1

[SPAN="FONT-SIZE:16.5PX; FONT-FAMILY: SATISFY; TEX
    Years
    POTW:Entei
    Entei! Omg hes just great definately one of my favorite legendaries! Actually he is probably my favorite fire type legendary only maybe tied with Reshiram! Firstly he had a movie all about him which makes him awesome plus i love his description particularly this part:
    This Pokémon is thought to have been born in the eruption of a volcano.
    I mean born from an eruption of a volcano how much cooler can you get!
    Although he is not as powerful as maybe suicune his attack stat and moveset make up for it and with sacred fire hes quite the powerhouse to get past! Also i love his shiny form which i recently received so yay!

Oblox

Pokemon Breeder
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Jul 9, 2021
    I like the look of the legendary cats but have never used them myself, caught them back in soulsilver (not got the OR versions yet). Nice to have a cat rather than a dog for once, until the recent pyroar fire cats were non existant other than legendary.

Oblox

Pokemon Breeder
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Jul 9, 2021
    My Charizard luck was in today, bred myself a lovely new 6IV Charmander for a Charizard X competitive and in the same egg batch a 5IV Shiny Charmander too (31/x/31/31/31/31)! Sadly it was Jolly nature but it'll do for my in game team as it'll still trash any AI pokemon.

Wicked3DS

Years
    Nice! Always good to have a strong Charizard on your side.

It's time we did another Pokémon of the Week:

Spoiler:

Numel!

Ruby Pokédex: Numel is extremely dull witted - it doesn't notice being hit. However, it can't stand hunger for even a second. This Pokémon's body is a seething cauldron of boiling magma.

Well I picked a good picture :P

I used Numel in OmegaRuby ultimate to have a Camerupt, which I like a lot. Numel itself doesn't appeal to me a whole lot, I suppose it's kinda cute, but it's just not my thing.

Oblox

Pokemon Breeder
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Jul 9, 2021
    I like numels design but never inspired me to pick him, and him being a team magma type made me see him a fair bit in OR.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    I, too, enjoy Numel in terms of appearance; it's a fire camel!

I don't believe they've ever had much camel-related Pokémon around, and this is one thing that makes Numel family this unique. Its evolution's design is rather nice-looking, too, and is also not very difficult to identify that Camerupt is an evolution to this particular Pokémon.

Battling-wise, Camerupt isn't actually that bad; I've used it a couple of times on my in-game team, and for that, it seemed to have played nicely. When taken online, though, its performance winds up decreasing slightly, unfortunately, since its stats generally aren't great in comparison to Pokémon that are regularly used by others.

Years
    • she/her
    • Seen May 23, 2023
    Would people actually use pokemon like Numel or Camerupt similar to how people use camels today? I imagine that flying would be easier though if there were ever good land transportation pokemon, these would be it.

I like Numel though! It reminds me a lot of Eeyore from Winnie the Pooh if I'll be honest. Both of them look rather sad yet they're both lovable at the same time. Numel's like a baby camel plodding along while you can't help but feel sorry for Eeyore haha. :]

Google2.0

Stand Alone Complex
    Years
    Name: Google2.0 / Ico
    Pick two Fire-type Partner Pokémon: Ninetails
    Reason(s) for liking Fire-types: they're really powerfull and usually have great designs.
    Answer to current topic: Numel.
    I actually used one in my emerald run, worked really good. The design is nice too.

Wicked3DS

Years
    Pokémon of the Week time!

Spoiler:

Y/Alpha Sapphire Pokédex: Using psychic power, it generates a fiery vortex of 5,400 degree Fahrenheit, incinerating foes swept into this whirl of flame.

You can burn anything you set your mind to.

Delphox is awesome, I chose it in X and I'm so glad I did. My initial response to Delphox: YES NOT ANOTHER FIRE/FIGHTING-TYPE! Delphox was a breath of fresh air. Fire/Psychic had only existed in Zen Mode Darmanitan, which I wasn't a huge fan of and isn't all that practical to use anyway. It gets some awesome moves and is very strong too. I also like the unique concept: it's basically a fire mage in the form of a fox, which is simple, but hadn't been done before in Pokémon, and they pulled it off perfectly in my book.

Oblox

Pokemon Breeder
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Jul 9, 2021
    Fennekin was my starter in X and I liked the idea of it the fire/psychic mage fox. The wand idea worked well and looked good but the general look just didn't hit it with me and It never seemed that good, 1000000x better than ugly horribly Chespin though.

Close but no cigar but I did love flamethrower from a wand.

Years
    I really love the Fennekin line, who are in fact my second fave Kalos starter line and tied with the Chimchar line for my fave Fire-type starter. I didn't choose Fennekin at the start (I picked Froakie) but I was able to get one from the in-game trade with Shauna in the postgame (she gives you the Kalos starter weak to yours) and I can say, Delphox is a powerful special attacker with a really awesome mage design theme which ties in with Chesnaught's "fighter" and Greninja's "thief" themes, forming a trio of RPG classes which tie in with their secondary types (Fighting, Psychic and Dark).

I was kinda upset Delphox's movepool isn't as good as the other two starters, but it's still pretty and does a great job handling most of the major opponents in the main story, plus it broke a Fire/Fighting starter streak that most of us got sick of.

It's also cool how Braixen and Delphox use their sticks as a wand when attacking, which evokes their mage theme even further.

Wicked3DS

Years
    It's time for the next Pokémon of the Week:

Spoiler:

Ponyta!

Ruby/Sapphire Pokédex: Ponyta is very weak at birth. It can barely stand up. This Pokémon becomes stronger by stumbling and falling to keep up with its parent.

This kind of reminds me of how birds push their young out of the nest till they fly :P

Ponyta and Rapidash are great speedsters that don't quite get the moves to utilize the way I usually do, but I'm a weirdo so that's probably a moot point :P They are very majestic and I do like that about them, even though that's not normally my thing. I guess it's an exception for a Fire-type horse, and come on, who doesn't think that's awesome?

Years
    • she/her
    • Seen May 23, 2023
    Ponyta's one of my favourite fire types! I love the whole flaming horse idea, it looks really pretty. <3

Glad to see that the pokedex entry sticks to its real life counterpart though! Horses usually have trouble standing up at birth so it's pretty fitting actually. Ponyta could of also had one of those unbelievable pokedex entries such as 'pidgeot flies faster than sound' or 'the burn from a houndoom is felt forever'. I feel like it'd of made Ponyta more exciting but that might just be me haha.

Also doesn't owning a Ponyta make you look like the coolest kid in town? ;]

Spoiler:

Anyway the last time I've used a Ponyta was in... 2009 I believe? I'd been looking around for some pokemon to use and thought that owning a Rapidash would be amazing. Though I never did exactly use it much, you've gotta admit that it looks cool having one on your team.

That being said, how many of you've used one before? And how many of you would want to try riding one if given the chance? :]

Oblox

Pokemon Breeder
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Jul 9, 2021
    This is one of those pokemon that I think is designed really well and would love to use....but its a fire type and I'm never without my Charizard so it never gets a look in.

Dedenne1

[SPAN="FONT-SIZE:16.5PX; FONT-FAMILY: SATISFY; TEX
    Years
    Although i love Ponytas design i usually end up using a dual type fire type so i never really got to use it. But i love that its a flaming horse plus its shiny form has blue flames which makes it amazing! Although i never used it i would own it as a pokemon thats not on me team as a friend and id love to try to ride one! I just never felt like using one on a team probably because they have a small lack of moves unitil it for flare blitz.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    I like Ponyta line. In fact, Ponyta and Rapidash are in my list of top ten favorite fire-types.

We lack horse-based Pokémon, and Rapidash family is one of our only ones that are based off horses; if you ask me, this definitely helps add to their touch. On top of that, their appearances seem to be pretty great as well, at least from my perspective.

I'm curious to how their evolution would turn out to be, if they ever decide to give them a final-stage. Competitively, I'm sure they'd become more easy to utilize; with Rapidash's current stats, it winds up to sort of tough to battle with, but once it gain some stats boost after evolving, I'm positive all of that will be different.

Years
    I kinda like how basic Ponyta and Rapidash's design is. Not too overdesigned, but having flaming hair was a great way to showcase it as a Fire-type since many Fire Pokemon tend to have flames burning somewhere on their bodies.

I did use one in my first Diamond/Pearl playthrough (which I never finished, and Piplup was my starter back then) but then when I heard it was the only non-starter Fire-type available before the Elite Four in those games, I got bored of it and restarted. Since then, I have always chosen Chimchar in every Sinnoh playthrough I've done, but I'll never forget my brief moment with using Ponyta there.

It's pretty strong, but given it's physically inclined with very little options for physical Fire STAB it's pretty hard to use from a competitive aspect given its frailty and movepool shallowness. Still okay to use in-game though from my perspective.

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
    Years
    Name: Mega XinZhao
    Pick two Fire-type Partner Pokémon: Blaziken and Typhlosion

Reason(s) for liking Fire-types: Fire is a great type against a lot of types that I have to quickly KO save for the "Bulky Water" ones. Burning through the likes of the mostly Speedy bug types, melting through those defensive Steel types, roasting those pesky status inflicting grass types, and vaporizing those Ice types. Not to mention, Fire is given the unlikely resistance to the oh so hated Fairy type. Sure Fire gets screwed up by Stealth Cocks Rocks but we should be smart enough to carry spinners or at least have Defog in our party.

Answer to current topic: Ponyta.

I liked Ponyta's line after the Physical/Special Split, which helped mons such as Arcanine and Flareon get some love.

Also, its line is a classic reminder that back in the good ol days, Pokemon were proper manifestations of animals in its respective world. Oh look, a flaming horse. Typical sure, but acceptable hell yeah. I rather have Ponyta's line stay than have gamefreak introduce a pokemon based of a smart phone or a camera.

Wicked3DS

Years
    Name: Mega XinZhao
    Pick two Fire-type Partner Pokémon: Blaziken and Typhlosion

Reason(s) for liking Fire-types: Fire is a great type against a lot of types that I have to quickly KO save for the "Bulky Water" ones. Burning through the likes of the mostly Speedy bug types, melting through those defensive Steel types, roasting those pesky status inflicting grass types, and vaporizing those Ice types. Not to mention, Fire is given the unlikely resistance to the oh so hated Fairy type. Sure Fire gets screwed up by Stealth Cocks Rocks but we should be smart enough to carry spinners or at least have Defog in our party.

Answer to current topic: Ponyta.

I liked Ponyta's line after the Physical/Special Split, which helped mons such as Arcanine and Flareon get some love.

Also, its line is a classic reminder that back in the good ol days, Pokemon were proper manifestations of animals in its respective world. Oh look, a flaming horse. Typical sure, but acceptable hell yeah. I rather have Ponyta's line stay than have gamefreak introduce a pokemon based of a smart phone or a camera.

Welcome! I have to agree, Ponyta/Rapidash got much better after the Physical/Special split, but there still aren't a whole lot of Physical Fire-type attacks that they can take advantage of unfortunately. Also, as Ashley said, we do lack horse Pokémon, which makes me glad that some the only ones are Fire-types :P

Back