• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Challenge] The Time Warp Challenge

Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Feb 20, 2024
    Question: What classifies as a cute water pokemon? Cause I find Swampart rather cute....

Was thinking more objectively cute but that's a pretty flexible rule as everyone finds different things cute. I find Blastoise cute for example.

Years
    • Age 24
    • Seen Apr 30, 2023
    Username: Morzoelin
    Game: Pokémon R.O.W.E
    (An open world version of Emerald with all Pokémon up to gen 8. Since it's available I'll be using Lycanroc as my mandatory Pokémon)
    Era: Ancient Rome

Years
    • Age 24
    • Seen Apr 30, 2023
    I already started the challenge for Ancient Rome but afterwards I'm thinking of doing an ultimate challenge run. I don't have the gen 1 or 2 games can I use Fire Red and Soul Silver instead.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 24
    • Seen Apr 30, 2023
    Pokemon in the Era of Ancient Rome Part 1

Started my journey in Verdanturf Town with a Slugma. I passed through the Rusturf tunnel and Route 116 without trouble catching a Rockruff along the way. Upon arriving in Rustboro City I foolishly challenged the Gym Leader Roxanne and was swiftly defeated. Made my way back to Verdanturf Town and from there across Route117 to Mauville City. At this point my team consist of Diana (Rockruff), Helen (Slugma), and Merlin (Abra). I decided to test my skills against this city's Gym Leader Wattson. After some quick training we enter the Gym and challenge Wattson. Diana went down to Wattson's togedamarru but Helen dealt swift vengeance taking it out with Earth Power. A couple more Earth Powers and an Ember later the rest of Wattson's team were defeated. Having beaten Gym Leader Wattson and earned the Dynamo Badge we have decided to continue our journey and challenge Roxanne again when we are stronger.

Current Team in Party Order:

Diana (Rockruff) Lv. 16 Female
    Merlin (Abra) Lv. 13 Male
    Helen (Slugma) Lv. 18 Female

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 24
    • Seen Apr 30, 2023
    Pokémon in the Era of Ancient Rome Part 2

Leaving Mauville City we made our way down Route 110 to Slateport City along the way Merlin the Abra evolved into Kadabra. After making it to Slateport City when walked around sightseeing and trade Merlin with the Tradeback Guy to evolve him into Alakazam. With Merlin now having reached his final evolution we continued onward. Making the long sea trip across Routes 109, 108, 107. After battling other seafarers and exploring an Abandoned Ship, we finally arrive in Dewford Town. Merlin's psychic power sweeps through the local gym leaders pokemon claiming us victory. With Gym Leader Brawly defeated we claim the Knuckle Badge and confidently begin another long but this time rather uneventful sea voyage across Routes 106 and 105 eventually arriving in Petalburg City. Still filled with confidence from our recent victory in Dewford Town we rush the Petalburg City's Gym Leader Norman and in a hard fought battle that left Diana the only pokemon standing and newly evolved. Claiming our Balance Badge we rest and begin planning our next move.

Current Team in Party Order:

Merlin (Alakazam) Lv. 31 Male
    Diana (Lycanroc) Lv. 27 Female
    Helen (Slugma) Lv. 26 Female

Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Feb 20, 2024
    I already started the challenge for Ancient Rome but afterwards I'm thinking of doing an ultimate challenge run. I don't have the gen 1 or 2 games can I use Fire Red and Soul Silver instead.

Yes you can use Fire Red and Soul Silver for Gen 1 and Gen 2 respectively.

Years
  • The Ice Age Ultimate Challenge

mamoswine.gif

SUMMARY

So... It has been a while. I signed up for this over a year ago. Since then, I slowly beat all my games in Ice Age settings. It was fun. My teams were once pretty unbalanced, but in slightly different way than before. Anyway, let's talk about each run separately...

I should also note that while making this post, I noticed I didn't take screenshots of Hall of Fames. Hopefully I have good enough reputation that you'll trust me I finished all runs.

Fire Red

lapras.png
    blastoise.png
    dewgong.png
    rhydon.png
    jynx.png
    nidoqueen.png

I'm satisfied with how this team turned out. Dewgong picked the short stick and I barely used it. Since I also had Blastoise and Lapras, Dewgong was there mostly to tank some hits. I run Rest/Sleep Talk and it was fun, but one-shotting everything with Blastoise and Lapras was faster. Jynx was also nice. I mainly used it as Psychic user. Rhydon was there to balance things up and Nidoqueen was jack-of-all-trades.

Heart Gold

piloswine.png
    quagsire.png
    tyranitar.png
    donphan.png
    corsola.png
    sneasel.png

I had quite a hard time putting this team together, because I, once again, wanted to use Pokémon I don't usually use. And quite a few of them were obtainable really late into the game, so I pretty much solo'd most of Johto just with Quagsire. Because of this, I barely used the rest and when I did, I usually sent out Tyranitar or Sneasel, because they could counter Quagsire's weaknesses. Corsola was mostly HM slave and Piloswine because it's mandatory Pokémon and it could tank some hits.

Ruby

walrein.png
    nosepass.png
    milotic.png
    lunatone.png
    sharpedo.png
    flygon.png

Now, this was fun team. I think I balanced it pretty well. You can imagine I spent an eternity getting Feebas and evolving it. Other than that, this was fine run. Milotic, Walrein and Flygon did most of the work in E4, with other members usually taking the lead against some problematic Pokémon. Also I have no idea how, but Steven's Metagross somehow beat 5 of my Pokémon on its own and I only beat it thanks to Sharpedo's speed.

Diamond

mamoswine.png
    weavile.png
    rampardos.png
    gastrodon.png
    garchomp.png
    hippowdon.png

Now that I look at this team, I don't really have much to say. I had to hack in Swinub as my starter, which certainly made the early game interesting, but I think this team had one huge advantage. While unbalanced, it had quite a few powerhouses ready from the start. Garchomp is a league on its own, but Mamoswine or Wealive also did good. Rampardos on the other hand... I can't seem to find a good use for it anywhere.

Black

beartic.gif
    simipour.gif
    gigalith.gif
    vanilluxe.gif
    golurk.gif
    seismitoad.gif

This team... How to describe it? It made me realize how weak some first stages of 3-line evolution lines are. Tympole and Roggenrola could barely survive a hit, did almost no damage and were really slow, so in the early game, I usually just grinded them up on Audino and used Panpour. Same goes for Vanilite. Cubchoo wasn't an exception. It was actually even worse, because I could just get Beartic and avoid grinding up Cubchoo. But who could say "no" to this poor baby? In the end, it was worth it, because once my Pokémon evolved, they steamrolled everything in their path. There were struggles from time to time, especially in E4, but we made it.

Y

avalugg.gif
    diggersby.gif
    clawitzer.gif
    azumarill.gif
    tyrantrum.gif
    glaceon.gif

Kalos isn't nice place to explore during Ice Age. I had such a hard time picking up Kalos Pokémon for this run and in the end had to put some non-Kalos Pokémon on my team. The early game was rough, but it got slowly better and easier after Reflection Cave. The duo of Glaceon and Azumarill worked surprisingly well against most obstacles. I was worried about later Gyms and E4, but it went surprisingly well. My Azumarill had Huge Power, making it formidable opponent to even Mega Gardevoir.

Ultra Moon

ninetales-alola.gif
    crabominable.gif
    lycanroc.gif
    toxapex.gif
    palossand.gif
    minior.gif

It wasn't intentional, but this was really defensive team. Toxapex and Palossand are great walls, Crabominable also can take a punch and Minior is just fun to use. I had such a great time trying to figure optimal way to use Minior. I need to do solo run with it later this year. Alolan Ninetales and Lycanroc complement the team with their fast and strong attacks. Out of all the teams in this challenge, this one was my favourite.

I have a lot of fun doing these Ultimate runs, but they take quite a few time to finish and I'm lazy to write up my summary. Next up on the list is Stone Age, but it feels like my teams would be way too similar, so I decided to kick up my time machine and go to The Cold War era. Hopefully, I'll finish it and write up a summary earlier than in 2025.

Username: Janp
    Game: Fire Red, Heart Gold, Sapphire, Pearl, Black 2, Y and Ultra Moon
    Era: The Cold War

Pebblycone

Little Monster ♥
    Years
  • Finally revisiting this challenge, trying a different Era this time!

Username: Pebblycone
    Game: Pokemon Sapphire
    Era: Ice Age

Back