• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Ultimate Turnoff - What You Don't Want to See in a Hack

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coolboyman

Veteran Hacker
    Years
    Oh god, where do I start?

- Spelling and Grammar mistakes. Some are fine, everyone makes mistakes, but PROOF READ your stuff
    - Having legendaries as starters.
    - Selling rare items like masterballs and rare candies in marts.
    - Having Rare Pokemon on the first route (which can also be high level)
    - Maps that tiles that DON'T blend together.
    - PEOPLE WHO DO NOT ERASE THE ORIGINAL MAP BEFORE MAKING THEIR OWN!
    - Remakes, especially ones where poeple CLAIM they have original things when they don't.
    - Nothing redeming except graphics
    - Empty/Bare maps
    - Hacks with no point. (Like Remakes that the only point is "OMG U CAN GO 2 JOHTO AND SINNOH" and thats it.)
    - Remakes that only show screenshots of New Bark town. OOOH BIG WHOOP WE'VE SEEN THAT A MILLION TIMES.
    - Hacks that are made just for an attempt for the author to become popular.
    - Hacks that promise things that the author hasn't even attempted to do yet. (Which usually results in failure).

cooley

///Keepin' it simple
    Years
    What I hate is that:

• The author makes a storyline just to for the have one.
    • The story has nothing to do with the gameplay
    • Bad choice of starters(ex. Blaziken, Mew, Dialga)
    • Bad Grammar( i = I, ur = Your, etc.)

Can't think of anymore, people already I have to said What say.

Gilgameish

Team Avion *****
    Years
    I LIKE the whole 'Stopping the evil Team' thing, as long as its a new motive. not "You must stop TEAM ANYNAME, they are cruel to pokemon!/Destroying the world!

Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Aug 5, 2022
    What really gets my goat is when hacks are not completed when they start another 1, Work on 1 at a time. Rares/ Legendaries given in common/ unrare ways i.e. "Man I don't want this Deoxys you can have it" or on Route 245 there is an abundance of Dialgas. They are rare and legendaries for a reason let them live up to the status. Showing 3 maps as screenshots and thats it ok fair enough if thats all you've done but update with a plethora of others like a new script or battling or heaven forbid a Fakemon (which I am actually a fan of is done nicely and in the correct way).

zel 2.0

Gold Remaker
    Years
    I'll simply say: "Hacks that do not show enough dedication by the creator, and hacks that do not seem to have a clear goal"
    You should also remember that improvising on a hack is not good, you should have at least quite a lot of stuff planned before starting to hack.

Basically, when I see the hacker is really serious about his/her work, that's enough to get me interested, the rest, it doesn't matter that much...

Years
    • Seen Jan 3, 2010
    Oh god, where do I start?

- Spelling and Grammar mistakes. Some are fine, everyone makes mistakes, but PROOF READ your stuff
    - Having legendaries as starters.
    - Selling rare items like masterballs and rare candies in marts.
    - Having Rare Pokemon on the first route (which can also be high level)
    - Maps that tiles that DON'T blend together.
    - PEOPLE WHO DO NOT ERASE THE ORIGINAL MAP BEFORE MAKING THEIR OWN!
    - Remakes, especially ones where poeple CLAIM they have original things when they don't.
    - Nothing redeming except graphics
    - Empty/Bare maps
    - Hacks with no point. (Like Remakes that the only point is "OMG U CAN GO 2 JOHTO AND SINNOH" and thats it.)
    - Remakes that only show screenshots of New Bark town. OOOH BIG WHOOP WE'VE SEEN THAT A MILLION TIMES.
    - Hacks that are made just for an attempt for the author to become popular.
    - Hacks that promise things that the author hasn't even attempted to do yet. (Which usually results in failure).

My reply doesn't mean to be offensive or insulting in any way, so please don't get angry or rude at me just for showing my opinion. When I read your post (after a friend told me about it), I got the image of you thrashing 95% of hacks around. That's shame. You don't remember yourself as being newbie, right? Here in Slovakia we have nice proverb for this case. But back to the topic. I noticed that you really like to be rude to people wo post hacks of a bit lower quality than expected. It happens since a thread which criticises lowering quality of hacks around. I don't like the way you give criticsm. By being rude, you will get absolutely opposite effect than the one that was expected. Think about it.

~Martin

And adding my two cents, I don't like hacks lacking scripting and maps that are empty.

Lady Berlitz

Cinnamon ♪
    Years
    On some of your points I agree with you, Coolboyman, and some I don't.
    Here are the points I'd like to give:

- Hacks that give release dates and end up releasing them months later. This has happened several times before, though I'm not blaming anyone who's done this... if you're not sure that you're releasing your hack at that time, don't give release dates.

- People who open up 2-3 threads for different hacks. That means you have 2-3 constructing hacks, therefore it will take forever to release them.

- Having each city with a million trainers/battles, or even high-rate of wild battles. I have also seen this on a couple of hacks, though I will still not point any... mouses.

I'm not being harsh at you if you have done this, because if you have your are probably a newbie at the hacking business.

Erimgard

Rocket's Revenge
    Years
    My reply doesn't mean to be offensive or insulting in any way, so please don't get angry or rude at me just for showing my opinion. When I read your post (after a friend told me about it), I got the image of you thrashing 95% of hacks around. That's shame. You don't remember yourself as being newbie, right? Here in Slovakia we have nice proverb for this case. But back to the topic. I noticed that you really like to be rude to people wo post hacks of a bit lower quality than expected. It happens since a thread which criticises lowering quality of hacks around. I don't like the way you give criticsm. By being rude, you will get absolutely opposite effect than the one that was expected. Think about it.

~Martin

And adding my two cents, I don't like hacks lacking scripting and maps that are empty.
    one of the reason's CBM gets mad is because...he popularized pokemon hacking. I believe his hack Brown was the first ever completed pokemon hack. He only uses Hex and his OWN tools that HE made to hack...so he gets angry over the fact that any village idiot can download a few programs and call themselves a hacker. He doesn't like to see something that he practically invented get tarnished by bad hackers. I agree that he is a little harsh on some of his posts, but not because he's wrong in any way, but because sometimes he neglects to give constructive criticism. although, for the most part, he tries to give them advice.

pkmnmaster69

When will this day end?
    Years
    • Seen Oct 24, 2020
    Well heres the list of stuff i dont wanna see in a hack

Fakemon that looks completly messed up (thats the one i completly hate to see)
    Lots of mapping error
    Sloopy map
    A mixture of r/s/e and fr/lg OWS
    Johto starters (ive noticed loads of hacks use them)
    I dont want to see a hack without clearing your rom out
    Bad spelling/grammer
    Hackers work on graphics rather then working on scripts and maps
    Catching final formed pokemon/legendarys in the first route or something like that.
    Completly messed up ow sprites
    A unintresting story
    Beating the league and thats it game over (very short just like those nintendo nerds made R/S)

Teh Baro

In my times...!
    Years
    I absolutely hate the "yet another jotho based hack because I'm a mega super califragilistic freakawesominglihäusen fan of shiny gold" hysteria. WTF?
    And more extensively, hacks that have place in already existing regions.

Coolboyman

Veteran Hacker
    Years

~Martin

Me trashing 95% of the hacks on this site? Damn, I only meant for that post to trash 90% of the hacks on this site.

I only trash hacks that deserve to be trashed, like remakes by "people" who don't know what the hell they're doing and people who sprout obvious lies just to get people interested.

This topic's title is "The Ultimate Turnoff - What you don't want to see in a hack." and I put my opinion in it. I want people to try NEW things instead of things people have done over and over and over and over and OVER (like remakes).

People are scared to try new things because they're afraid they might fail. So instead, they copy other ideas that they know is already popular so they'll make sure people like their hack. This needs to stop.

Last edited:

Naoshi

lawl
    Years
    • Seen Aug 11, 2023
    No offense everyone but I actually agree with Coolboyman...

I really don't see the problem with his list, it's his opinion after all and it all makes sense to me.

Personally, I actually agree with that list alot.

BlackRainbow*

Pokemon Coralo Version ?
    Years
    Well CBM you're totally right. But many peoples can't try new things because they don't have knowladge like you. You know.. You can do ASM..More then half peoples here can't.

Coolboyman

Veteran Hacker
    Years
    Well CBM you're totally right. But many peoples can't try new things because they don't have knowladge like you. You know.. You can do ASM..More then half peoples here can't.

You don't need to know ASM to make a good and original hack.

Erimgard

Rocket's Revenge
    Years
    The point CBM is hitting on is that you need to be original. If you can't ASM hack and put in new features, FINE, but at least make unique maps, a new storyline, etc..
    Things to make it interesting. What's the point of playing a hack that's nothing new? Might as well just play the old games if the 'new' hacks don't have anything original

EmpoleMew

Lunatic Lunar Rabbit
    Years
    The ultimate turnoff for me is Fakemon. The only exceptions are Quartz and Marble. Most others are unoriginal and uncreative. Other than that, I can be led away from a hack if all the regular scripts are there but in some retarded place. I remember playing one FR hack and everything is the same. Then while exploring the cave at the beginning of the game, you meet some scientist. You talk to him and then "your dex was Upgraded!" pops up. Uncreative way to recieve the National Dex. On top of that, the spelling of that sentenced ticked me. That's the other thing that peeves me. Simple mistakes in grammer. It's one thing if you don't speak English fluently(sp?), but when you have a lack of punctuation marks, it gets annnoying. Also, the common confusion between "your" and "you're" I'll see something like after beating a trainer and they say "Your strong!" instead of "You're strong!" "Your" means you own something. "You're" means "you are".

And I HATE when people make a "hack" and say something like:

ZOMG so liek in this game yuo can git leik all teh Pokemanz and go 2 jhoto. it's gonna be liek so aewsomez and stuffz.

Don't do stuff like that. Srsly. (Yes, that was to refer to that quote)

Also, TYPE SLOWLY! Whwn you aer tyin like thsi, you'er bounfd tpo amke mistkes.

Years
    • Seen Nov 29, 2011
    Well, where do I start? I would say that I have high standards to meet when it comes to hacks.

Here's a short list of things that turn me off:
    1. Bad Storylines - Why do "hackers" try to make a game which has a storyline that they are not capable of sticking to? I hate to read a huge paragraph of text of a quite appealing storyline, then go to play the hack and it just fades as the game goes on.
    2. Bad Fakémon - If you haven't got the skills to create decent quality looking Fakémon then I'd suggest you stick to the standards. I'm not having a dig at people who really try, it's just that a game is not very appealing if the graphics aren't of a certain standard.
    3. Remakes [to a degree...] - I hate to see people try to create a remake which just doesn't seem like the real thing. I just think that the majority of "hackers" can't pull it off, and for these people, I think they should try to be creative as they can with a new storyline, etc...and to the people who can, Well Done! :)

They're the main things that put me off certain hacks. I hope I haven't offended anyone too much, and if I have, who am I to say, I can't hack for s**t...yet! ;)

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back