• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Ultimate Turnoff - What You Don't Want to See in a Hack

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2023
    a short crappy mapped game with a terrible storyline and horrible and/or dull graphics and an old storyline that everyone has heard before.Also a very easy game with terrible writing like this: Helo my nmae is prf.o brich.(original writing hello my name is prof. birch)bad fakemon,and i just want just a tiny bit of profanity in it so the story doesnt dull quickly.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jan 18, 2021
    CBM is right, if anything it is just simple constructive criticism. It allows the user to see what it wrong and then they improve there hack upon themselves. Some good hacks don't even use Hex let alone ASM, they use scripts and very limited hex as possible, like Shiny Gold(no offense, zel). The main reason these type of topics are appearing is because more people hack's, which contains the same stuff over and over are getting more attention then the ones that are completely changed. If people don't accept this constructive criticism and get mad instead then there hack will possibly fail or will struggle.

Matt Silver

Who Do You Think?
    Years
    In a Pokemon Hack? I never want to see South Park in it... unfortueatly, we already have that. Also, I don't like seeing overuse or availbility of legendaries... it's just too nooby to have it that easy to get.

I'm no fan of script or tile errors, or little things like spelling errors. I also don't like eye-blinding colours, bad spriting (With two excepticons), but I'm just reallly picky. I'm also not a fan of repitivitive stories (Like having nothing extra to the boring gym storyline). ALSO, I do not like the amount of Johto remakes (Except the one - of course)... if Gamefreak ever releases a "proper" one - will this hacking section crumble - maybe we'll lose some noobs without original storylines.

I'm feeling *****y today. :P

Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Aug 5, 2022
    I do agree with CBM to a certain extent with the originality. How ever it gives people a chance to learn from experts by creating something like a remake but if scripts and everything like that are the same then they aren't learning anything. I myself am making a GS remake however it is for my own amusement and I don't plan on releasing it simply because it is so I can get my footing and so I can learn that way I can come up with more original ideas. I am trying what works then see if I can do what hasn't been done before. I don't care if I succeed in the impossible personally, part of the creative process is learning from mistakes that is why I like this thread it is telling people where they have gone wrong so they learn and fix the problem.

spenceroone3

<he eats lots of burgers.
    Years
    I'm surprised I haven't posted yet!

1. Bad grammar. If you notice, I always make sure that my text is perfect, nto leik tis ya no and egeverthing ?
    2. I actually would like a hack with the Gym Leader storyline, and a new team, and a new region. Everything else I only like if it has had a lot of effort put into it.
    3. Bad graphic attempts and pallete changes. For example, if you look at Naranja's pallete, I think it sucks a lot. It's too orangy. It needs a bit of red, blue and green as well. Also, some of Naranja's tiles and people sprites suck with graphics and pallete.

zel 2.0

Gold Remaker
    Years
    Some good hacks don't even use Hex let alone ASM, they use scripts and very limited hex as possible, like Shiny Gold(no offense, zel)

I wont take it as an offense, Blazichu. However, don't forget that scripting is basically a pseudo way of using Hex, like, you don't go writing a full program on machine language (binary), instead, you use some programming language like C++ or Java. It's the same thing, and programmers don't get "hey, you use C++ and not machine language", that'd be crazy.

It's the same thing, so both ways: hexing and scripting should be respected, thanks ;)
    And who says I haven't used Hex on my game...? I may not use it much, but be sure I have used it more than you think...

(And by the way, using ASM is not something for everyone, I have too much stuff in my head to start learning asm, and it's not like it's needed. That, unless you are really some extremist hacker... I congratulate you if you are one... XD) *Gives thanks to Mastermind's help*

Skeetendo Inc.

The REAL Pokémon Company
    Years
    I would have to say that the biggest turn off for me (Mateo) is when you see these retarded emo stories for the storyline. To me, any Pokémon Fangame should while being original, still remain realistic. No Pokemon that are Gods, no mention of people going out and killing everyone, no random doomsday, unless it is along the lines of RSE's flooding and things. Also, I don't so much mind some typos here and there in the post, because Lord knows I make more than my fair share and even though I try to read my posts some still make it in, although when you see them in the game text that is another story. And Also unoriginal/poor mapping as well. A new region should LOOK and FEEL new. If you have a hack where you are off in the new region of, we'll say, ROFLIO or whatever, and you sart off in, we'll call it LMAO TOWN and it looks exactly like New Bark Town with a few trees in the middle for no reason and it is made with the Kanto tileset instead of Johto (if we are lucky) there is no point, it isn't original. My philosophy is: If it's new, don't make it look like anywhere else unless it abslolutely cannot be helped, and if it is a region you have visited before, change things and add thigns to make it WORTH visiting again. For example, when we bring back Sterling Silver, yes it will have you starting off in part of Johto, and then it will be different by a long shot, and new and fresh. Also, one last thing I dislike are random pointless hundreds of poorly done remakes, which give a bad name to the good remakes, and also people who come up with outlandish or entirely made-up element names for their version. Also, play as Team Rocket has kind of been played by now, people. </rant> okay, I'm done. lol

Red

Pokémon Trainer
    Years
    Really, it is that you should plan and be dedicated. And if you don't know how to script, then stop while you're ahead. (Or learn.)

I personally don't like fakemon, but that's just me.
    I don't care if people want to make remakes, but they tend to not be professional.
    Hackers, look at Zel's Shiny Gold, it's done well. My only issue with it was the missing spaces after "MR." or "PROF."
    Also, the text was colored inconsistently, the text is supposed to be blue when a male talks, red when a female talks and gray for narration. (And it's not that hard to do.)
    Anyways, now I'm ranting about Shiny Gold. I mean, I want all hacks to not be that way.
    Anyways, now the only real thing that make hacks fun is a good, well-planned storyline. (Just make everything else in the game contour to the storyline after you've developed the storyline.)

Godot

That's one of my rules.
    Years
    I hate those piece-of-crap hacks that you see... example "AhH 0MG D00d5 I JUST Sm0K3D L0T5 0F p0T5 H3r3 Hav3 th1s Sh-(censored) an1mal cAll3D A p0k3M0n!!!"

Another thing I do not care for is remakes, with the exception of ShinyGold because zel is very far into it and I think he will complete it someday.

I think if your going to HACK, you should do just that. It just isn't called ROM Remaking. You should let your imagination do the talking(as long as your imagination is not stupid.)

Years
    • Seen Dec 19, 2010
    I have no reason why, but I really hate fan pokemon and regions. They just seem so...ungenius. I'd rather have something in the future of a Nintendo region. Or a new island that cracked off the place, just keep the game within Nintendonian.

And rushed gyms, where the gyms just keep on coming at you like wildfire, instead of a slow, steady beat. Some villainy in the middle, if you please.

Coolboyman

Veteran Hacker
    Years
    I have no reason why, but I really hate fan pokemon and regions. They just seem so...ungenius. I'd rather have something in the future of a Nintendo region. Or a new island that cracked off the place, just keep the game within Nintendonian.

And rushed gyms, where the gyms just keep on coming at you like wildfire, instead of a slow, steady beat. Some villainy in the middle, if you please.

Yes because it's so fun playing through the same region 500 times.

zel 2.0

Gold Remaker
    Years
    I personally think that the region is not whats important. It's what you make of this region whats important. If you could make a lot of new implementations over an old region, then, why not?

But... Of course, you'd need to put a lot of new stuff there, else it turns boring... Ehhhmmm... Kanto in GSC, anyone?

Of course, CBMan is joking on his number... If I were to see the same region 500 times, then I'd be bored by playing the 3rd time if there weren't enough changes, I guess :laugh:

Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Aug 5, 2022
    Yes because it's so fun playing through the same region 500 times.

if you play it 500 times i would say that is sad lol just kidding coolboyman coz u are right but the post above this one makes a point so long as there are enough script changes and the like i wouldn't mind playing it.

Years
    Just because it's a Nintendo created region doesn't mean it still can't be interesting. If enough is done to make it a new story and the maps aren't Nintendo's, they're yours, I've got no problem with a hack in a Nintendo made Region.

Coolboyman

Veteran Hacker
    Years
    Well hacks in existing region -CAN- be done right, but most of what I've seen are crappy remakes, or slightly altered storylines where the character starts in the same city and takes the same path and other things we've seen many many times.

zel 2.0

Gold Remaker
    Years
    Well hacks in existing region -CAN- be done right, but most of what I've seen are crappy remakes, or slightly altered storylines where the character starts in the same city and takes the same path and other things we've seen many many times.

I guess they just need time, to improve their remakes, or to alter their storylines more. I think that, on the current status of many of the hacks you indirectly mention, it's still too early to judge them... (specially to give them the word "crappy" D:<)

Hope!

[EDIT]: To what CBM says below, maybe the level of exigence for getting the hack threads approved should be raised? What do you think?

Last edited:

Coolboyman

Veteran Hacker
    Years
    Well it's just cliche of a hack to go "Wow you get to start in johto here's some screenshots of New Bark, Route 29, and Cherrygrove." and to just show us things that we've seen countless times in almost every other remake. I understand newbies, and I understand people just starting, but they need original ideas put into their hack.

A good starting point and first impression is important, and even if you haven't done much, post what you are going to do in the hack (BUT MAKE SURE YOU KNOW HOW TO CONTRIBUTE SUCH IDEAS TO THE HACK.) I'm not going to look at every hack and remake and expect that it'll be the best hack ever. First impressions are important, and if you aren't done with something, let the people know what's going to be added on. People need to think before posting their hack threads.

EvilCrazyMonkey

D/P Hacker-in-Training
    Years
    • Seen Mar 6, 2012
    ...heheMOO...

um... well there's a ton of stuff i hate to see in a hack even though im a noob...
    ~an exact remake
    its ok if you actually add stuff and make the story longer
    ~fakemon
    its just me, but i hate them(no offense if you've made them)
    ~no storyline
    come one people, the tools were developed to add to the game...
    ~little storyline
    [see above] and we need to fight someone besides a gym leader/E4 person every once in a while, don't we?
    ~pointless
    seriously, no one likes these
    ~unoriginality in storyline
    we need something other than waking up, beating 8 gyms and the elite 4 while chasing some evil team and then having the storyline end
    ~horrible grammar/spelling
    its already been explained in this thread
    ~manipulation of hacking tools
    what I mean is--using the tools to make the game super-easy, like to catch legends and then defeat the E4

and yes, i am a noob and am hacking FR right now, but I try to follow these as best as I can (come on, in my game, the stuff that is needed in the official games is optional in this game, however not to complete the pokedex, that would take a while)

El Diabeetus

Amateur Voice Actor / ROM Editor ('Hacker')
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Jun 10, 2020
    For me it's:
    -Sinnoh Starters, Seriously people we've seen them in DP and in about 100 other hacks we don't need them again.

-Unaltered and or really ****ty Maps, Text Wrttn liek tihs or they use things ROFL, OMG I found 2000 Arceus's on Route 123456, I hate Big Grammar Mistakes, small mistakes don't bother me neither, does using the words owned or noob as long as they're written correctly.

-This doesn't have to do with hacks themselves but people who think GSC and RBY Hacks suck because of Cough*Graphics*Cough, those people need to get over it that GSC hackers put way more effort into hacking then they ever will.

-The Traditional Gym Storyline, if you don't spice it up.

-Playing as already used hero's if it isn't a remake. Like I've seen tons of hacks with Dawn and Lucas, I get so Damn tired of Sinnoh. I actually hated Sinnoh out of all the Regions. Hoenn and Kanto are tied as my Favorites.

-Not enough effort or dedication of the Hacker to finish the hack, or the hack is just really crappy, in terms of Trainers, Tiles, Gameplay Palletes etc.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back