• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Ultimate Turnoff - What You Don't Want to See in a Hack

Status
Not open for further replies.

rellim

Reformist
Years
  • Two things really bother me about some of the hacks I've played. First, when the player character speaks. A lot of the fun for the games for me comes from the player being an empty canvas, someone I have to speak for, and when a hacker makes the player speak it ruins that whole illusion for me. The other thing is a forced romantic subplot between the player and another character, most often the rival. This again forces my character to act in a way that I may not agree with, and is often done very awkwardly and completely devoid of any subtlety.
    Beyond that I can tolerate terrible sprites as long as they are consistent, like in pokemon quartz, unoriginal map design can still work for me if it at least it looks good, and I can even tolerate bland/unoriginal stories as long as the game is solidly put together.
    The most important thing to me in any hack is bug and error testing. I know some of the tools we use aren't the most foolproof and can easily lead to some errors making it through the creation process, but if that bug makes it past testing, assuming that the hacker does test it at all, it is pretty bothersome to me. We aren't big corporate game developers, so we don't have any real deadline or financial constraints. We can afford to make sure our product is at the very least well-polished before releasing it.

also ppl that hack a game and put the 3 legendary birds/dogs as your starters and you choose which one u want, THATS STUPID! why would you do that legendarys are supposed to be a special if they are one of your starters it ruins the specialness.
    I think this can be pulled off if given a logical explanation. I agree with you when it's just "hay look at thees pokeymans i gots! lol!" and they pull out the legendaries that take thousands of pokeyen for absurd amounts of balls and often a very powerful team and competent trainer to catch. But let's say your professor was once a great trainer who traveled the world and managed to catch a few of these. I don't think getting a legendary by default really lowers their value, because I tend to value my starter more than any legendary I catch later on in the game, regardless of how powerful they are or how hard they were to find or catch.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Apr 19, 2008
    fakemon i don't like fakemon becouse there never as good as the real pokemons

Hellsing

The bird of Hermes is my name
    Years
  • I'm sorry, I have to disagree completely with kitana, and I agree with Silent Wing. Pokemon Battle Fire is an amazing hack with amazing new pokemon. sereiously. Only if the sprites suck, like,like chaos black. They weren't too bad, but they weren't very good. especially Bliqu. Ew.

FHJoker

Re-thinking Osmium
    Years
  • I personaly hate the creation of new types. I also hate if there are a choice of three starters and they aren't in the wild, especially if you can't trade. If you don't want to put the starter in the wild then have only one starter but only make it a good choice.

Jack of Bl♠des

Former goderator
    Years
  • I don't like when things are carelessly rushed over and unprofessinally done. Though I don't really mind Fakemon (after all, my hack is going to use several), but I'd prefer that they looked like the creator gave a damn. It won't kill a person to mix up colors a little bit or do some decent shading.

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2023
    Well i think i posted this before but...a short and/or easy game.
    Who really wants deoxys,celebi,and mew for a starter?It is incredibly absurd!The point of the game is to be a challenge, not a toy.
    Uhh i tolerate your normal fakemon like marble and quartz and especially battle fire, but sometimes people are too blind to notice that they have terrible sprites.
    But overall i think the thing that annoys me most is the frequent amount of bugs and glitches in the game.

Years
    • Seen Jun 30, 2012
    okay....lets see
    1.Stupid starters(e.g kyogre,groudon,rayquaza or some other stupid starters)
    2.Fake Pokémon which learns exactly the same moves as the one u replaced it with and may sometimes not make sense(i.e some thing with really seriously small legs that cant kick using double kick)
    3.Exact same storyline....how exciting is that?you won't find anything new if you've played the original game
    4.People who jus come in and say....hey youre a pokemon trainer right?then have this
    <insert name here>recieved a <insert some incredibly rare pokémon like some legendary>
    5.Insanely powerful attacks(e.g blast of destruction Power:250 Accuracy:-- Description:never misses. Raises all stats to its maximum.
    6.Game is insanely difficult(i.e Elite four has lv70 when u fight them 1st time and lv100 when 2nd time)
    7.You find lots of ultra rare items lying all over the place(i,e 20+ master balls in the game)
    8.Maps are messed up and dont make sense
    Yeah...i think thats about it

RedYoshi

Wah! Yoshi!
    Years
  • Well I basically look at three things in a hack, the Storyline, the Graphics, and the Gameplay, so if any of these three are lacking then I just won't bother playing it. I won't really care as much about the graphics, as far as the storyline goes I don't want it to be the same thing over and over again, I don't want to play the same game again and again so I really like storylines that are ORIGINAL.

luke

Master of the Elements
    Years
  • Terrible grammar turns me off the most. I understand if English isn't your first language and you're trying your best, but if you're just lazy and use internet slang in your hack, I won't like it. Awkward maps also make me angry. If you are walking through a map and it just doesn't flow naturally, the experience seems to diminish.

mistersmeargle

is a scatman.
    Years
    • Seen Oct 26, 2017
    Wowee, well let's see:
    1. I like well-made and -sprited Fan Pokémon (I refuse to call them Fakemon). The Battle Fire Sprites are really good and original, but Teh Baro's srites in Marble and Quartz are unfortunately riddled with L- and T-brackets (as I call them). He's a decent spriter but he could do with some work. I despise people who do really, horrible, Fan Pokémon, they give the rest of us a bad name.
    2. Grammar, spelling, punctuation. Three things that are soooo necessary.
    3. Goody-goody story. What kind of organised crime syndicate gets scared of children who get small creatures to attack their small creatures? Hostage situations should seem more threatening, death should not be a taboo subject, considering how many characters have died in the movies and anime and manga and for the love of all that is good and unholy, guns and bombs exist!
    4. Bad sprites and tiles in GENERAL.
    5. Randomness. People don't give Pokémon away for no reason. People don't give items away for no reason. People don't walk up and talk to you.
    6. Starters. Now here is a bit of a touchy subject. I for one think you should either have some new starters that make sense, somehting like Shroomish, Slowpoke and Houndour or something or one Pokémon that acts like the version Pokémon of your Hack.

There's more but I can't think of the moff the top of my head.

Blitzballer

Sarcasm: now GMO-free.
    Years
  • When grammar is atrocious, I say "Heck with it!!!". I absolutely despise grammatical errors in games.

Also this is gonna sound a lot worse than it is but...when I see the words "hack of: ruby" I want to bang my head into a wall. Now like I said, thats an overly simplified statement. What I mean is that RSE graphics are disgusting. Unless someone utilizes new or fire red based graphics, I've already walked away. The trees look bad, the overworlds make me sick and the houses....UGH! It's just not a good idea. Unfortunately, most every tool works with ruby and ruby is easy to hack making it a pretty common "first to hack" rom.

Years
  • I don't relly see gramars that easay... My english is not that good to see stuff like that, But when people use stuff like "Omg a ****ing rare dexoyss" Or kind of evey internet/phoneslang...
    But the thing that relly annoy me is tekst editing... When event's ain't changed, but they only text edited them... When i play a ruby hack, and still have to do this clock thing and see what the mother shows in the televison, and after that go see some one getting chassed by something and chose one of 3 pokemons from a bag... Then usaly stop playing the game... Come on? Then Bad starters also anoys me... Stupit story like "One day all the legends were vesiting eachother, but then came team rocket, team magma, team aqua and team galaxzy! Then whey cacth them all and made a super pokemon called Mewtree..." and then it's that stupit mewtwo sprite from elitemap... I hate people who is just giving items and pokemon all the time... Bad mapping.. Bad spriting... (Well i don't relly like bad stuff that much?"

02magnus

Creator of Digimon Chronicles
    Years
  • I hate to see things like:

GSC remakes. They get me feel tired =(
    Bad drawn Fakemons. NOT JUST BALLS XD
    Unrealistic storylines. Like Amnesia and the comet :P
    And non-shaded overworlds.

I think these thing is ugly. But i shall not talk, i am very n00bish too xD

Jirachi_961

Owner of: Pokemon Reanimation
    Years
  • I hate the boring story line, like this:

You get a starter pokemon
    You get a pokedex
    You are told to fill the pokedex
    You then try to be the elite 4 champion
    You go around getting all of the badges
    In the process you learn of an organization that is causing problems, involving pokemon
    You defeat them, every time.
    You get all the badges, and you defeat the corporation
    You beat the elite 4
    You get the XX amount of legendarys
    Then you fill your pokedex and you are done with the game

Its like that for a heck of a lot of games. I mean, dang. Mix it up a little bit, it isnt that hard.

Years
    • Seen Feb 18, 2010
    *Hacks that are too easy (ie, original difficulty level, or even easier)

*The same freaking 10,000 Rattatas and Bidoofs and Caterpies always in the beginning of the game.

*The unavailability of certain elements until practically endgame. IMO all regions should have a decent mix of elements, with the exception of ice pokes in a volcano or fire underwater and the like. I mean, think about it. If it were a real ecosystem, for every route overrun by Pidgeys, some freaking Ice pokemon would take up residence to prey on the Pidgeys, fire pokes on the Ice, etc... You could even have prey (common) predator (medium) and apex hunter (rare) levels as the elements. A bunch of Ralts, a few Kirlias (parent/protectors?), and a few Houndoors that obviously make their living off eating the Ralts, you know?

*Unoriginal story. This ties in with the first. I mean, after eight years of playing Pokemon, it gets a little boring, and I also have a pretty good idea of how to play the game -- hence the desire for something harder.

*I actually really prefer having a decent spattering of fakemon, to round out the types and such. There is a pittance of Darks, very few Ice, pure Flying is pretty much incredibly weak, etc.

*A more mature story would be nice as well. You have two options as the author of a long-running series. Stay with your original audience, and make the story progressively more mature as you go on, or stay with your original age group. Nintendo has obviously chosen the latter. I'd like to see more of the former.

*Trainers in the cities. This is just a little thing that nags me. You'd expect to see at least a few trainers loitering around the city -- they can't ALL be out and about training at the same time, can they?

*Mono-elemental gyms. Seems retarded to me. Fighting gym? Bring a single Psychic sweeper and you're done. I'd rather see a generous mix like the kind you usually see vs your rival. I mean, come on, nobody makes a pure Water team in the meta-game, and it requires serious suspension of disbelief for me to believe they'd have that kind of thing on Kanto or what have you.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back