• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen The weird tree didn't like the squirtbottle!

Sun

When the sun goes down...
Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2017
    My instinct told me to catch it as I might not be able to catch an another one again. So I did! {XD}

I haven't use Sudowoodo in any Gen II games, I used it briefly in Diamond or Pearl though.

Years
    • Age 35
    • Seen Jan 26, 2016
    I knew what it was but I thought it was awful. Rock type tree....yeah OK. Can't say I ever even used it in a single battle the entire time I've played GSC - which is a long time!

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
    Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2018
    I always caught it because I thought it was like a type of... pseudo (lol) legendary. GSC actually had a fair amount of random only one Pokémon in the game, like Sudowoodo, Shuckle, Lapras, etc.

Anyway, I always caught it, I think I only used it maybe once in Crystal because I had nothing else on my team and wanted to try it out lol.

tokyodrift

[i]got me looking for attention[/i]
    Years
    • Age 30
    • he/him
    • Seen Mar 8, 2024
    At first, I was stuck on this particular part. I stopped playing for a while until someone showed me how to get past it. I always tried to catch it, since it was a one time thing. I don't recall ever using it though.

Zenith95s

El Psy Congroo
    Years
  • The tree used to irritate me a lot at first because I had no idea how to get through it. Believing that it was a tree, at first I thought using HM Cut would do the job. With a lot of fiddling around with the weird tree sprite, I could only think of it as a Grass Pokémon. With much effort, I got around to getting the squirt-bottle. It was only until I used Thunder Wave on the weird thing that I understood it was a Rock type for some reason. I have never ever used Sudowoodo, because it was pretty useless and was a meager Lv. 20, compared to my over-leveled party at that time.

So, that's that. It was pretty embarrassing reading most of the people here knew that it was a Pokémon all along; but I was a kid back then, I don't even have an idea how my mind used to work then, haha.

KetsuekiR

Ridiculously unsure
    Years
  • Oh god, this tree. While it's one of my favourite things about Johto, it was so annoying. My first Pokemon game was Gold and I was as much a moron as I could possibly be (not that I'm not now :P). It took my days, yes days, to get past Sudowoodo. When I finally figured it out and it appeared, I thought it was a legendary Pokemon and used up pretty much every Pokeball I had.

I'll be honest though, I wouldn't have changed a thing. Those frustrating days I spent trying to get past the squiggly weird tree were some of the best days of my life and it got me into Pokemon and it's part of why I'm here today :P

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • At first, I was stuck on this particular part. I stopped playing for a while until someone showed me how to get past it. I always tried to catch it, since it was a one time thing. I don't recall ever using it though.
    Oh god, this tree. While it's one of my favourite things about Johto, it was so annoying. My first Pokemon game was Gold and I was as much a moron as I could possibly be (not that I'm not now :P). It took my days, yes days, to get past Sudowoodo. When I finally figured it out and it appeared, I thought it was a legendary Pokemon and used up pretty much every Pokeball I had.

I'll be honest though, I wouldn't have changed a thing. Those frustrating days I spent trying to get past the squiggly weird tree were some of the best days of my life and it got me into Pokemon and it's part of why I'm here today :P
    Joining the chorus here. I also took a while to figure out how to get past it when I first played Silver (my first game boy game). I figured out I need to move it with water, but I didn't check the flower shop after beating Whitney. Whoops. So instead I was trying to use other water moves on it, tried to find Surf (which I vaguely knew about), etc. :V

I never used Sudowoodo! I've always made a point to catch it, but the Pokemon never found a spot on my team. One day I guess I will use it.

LadyVenus

Team Cipher
    Years
  • I actually didn't know it was a wild Pokemon back when I played Crystal and had no idea what I was supposed to do. xD I got stuck at that part in the game and stopped playing for a while lol. But I finally figured it out (but not without help from a friend). I didn't use it on my team, as I'm not a huge fan of Sudowoodo in general.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    I found Sudowoodo so cool! I think first up I really struggled to catch it. I remember being low on balls... then again this was when I was like eight so I'd be impressed with myself if I remembered more lol definitely was confused for a while about why it WASN'T a grass type. I did love Mimic though. I thought both it and Metronome were the coolest moves ever.

I definitely knew it was a Pokemon though. Maybe even like a legendary or something along those lines. It was definitely special though. I did use it!

And then like every play through after it was just like OH a Sudowoodo... nevermind not catching.

BlazingCobaltX

big mood. bye
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Jun 19, 2019
    I used it quite some times because I always wanted a Rock-type and Sudowoodo was way better than the boring Geodude.

Years
  • i was excited when i first saw it. attacks gave away it had to be rock or ground typing, so i thought: awesome!!! a grass/rock!!! but what a disappointment it turned out to be

Back