• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen This pokemon is better than I thought

DynamicD

Metagross Fan
Years
    • Seen Jan 22, 2015
    I first thought Malamar was going to be another annoying Tentacruel like previous games, but wow, this thing has some well rounded stats. It could deliver quite a punch, and it could take them too. I'm currently doing another playthrough in Y with it, and it's been very useful so far.

Years
    • Seen Feb 29, 2024
    I thought this was about the game itself. Which I originally thought would be trash, but was stupidly amazed by.
    But I'll tell you what, there are so many Pokemon which are a lot better than you would originally think.
    Notably the Fairy type Pokemon, who change the whole meta so much.

Azire

Mr. Premier Ball
    Years
    • Seen Dec 25, 2016
    Talonflame. Yup.

It's so overused now (pun may or may not be intended), but when I first heard about it before X/Y came out, I was like "Fire/Flying? Base evolution caught on Route 2? Yeah, this thing'll suck. Fire/Flying is a bad typing because Stealth Rock and so many weaknesses, and the Route 2 bird Pokemon is never good unless your name is Starraptor."

And then it got Gale Wings, Brave Bird, Flare Blitz, and base 126 Speed, blowing that thought outta the water. Got my own Gale Wings Talonflame too.

When I first saw it I hoped so much for Flame Body. Of course to hatch eggs faster and it being such are early Pokemon to catch. My wish was granted and I still use Talonflame today.

I thought this was about the game itself. Which I originally thought would be trash, but was stupidly amazed by.
    But I'll tell you what, there are so many Pokemon which are a lot better than you would originally think.
    Notably the Fairy type Pokemon, who change the whole meta so much.

Yes that was the whole purpose of Fairy type. Add in the weather nerf and we have a completely different metagame.

Last edited:

iTeruri

iAm
    Years
  • Aegislash. At first, I thought Doublade would be so much better, because it has the No Guard ability, which counters evasion boost spamming. I dind't really think much of Aegislash, because it lost it's No Guard ability. I still prefer Doublade over Aegislash on my team, because Aegislash is a pretty risky Pokémon and Doublade basically is a slightly weaker, but more reliable option (especially with Eviolite).

Also Talonflame. The early birds tend to not be very good, with Staraptor and maybe Swellow being the only exceptions. Now Talonflame is basically everywhere. I hate Gale Wings with a passion, it's a bit too good.

LicensedJet

Playing Pokémon Y ~
    Years
  • After catching Bunnelby on Route 2 I only thought it would be worth it since I could trade for Quacklin' but I never gave it a chance.
    A Huge Power female Diggersby nicknamed Miley truly is a wrecking ball! :P
    660.png

Mithel_Celestia

Alluring Illusion
    Years
  • Furfrou was one I never expected. I thought it would be of the same stats as other hound Pokemon(e.g. Mightyena, Houndoom) but as I used it, I found it was a tank and a fast sweeper all in one when. It further surprised me when I found that it could learn cotton guard.

Sandslash Fan

Spikey Boi
    Years
  • Furfrou was one I never expected. I thought it would be of the same stats as other hound Pokemon(e.g. Mightyena, Houndoom) but as I used it, I found it was a tank and a fast sweeper all in one when. It further surprised me when I found that it could learn cotton guard.
    I caught my Furfrou in a Luxury Ball (I think we get it early from that NPC, after leaving the first town). Return is - brutal - on a happy Furfrou! :)

Years
  • Mine was Flabebe. Lets just say, it was the thing I was least looking forward to about the game initially. I certainly wasn't expecting something so small and fragile looking to be so tough. I was expecting it to be some throwaway "Jigglypuff" type poke, but its was actually pretty awesome. I named her Amelia because it looked like she was trying to fly a flower, and I probably would of kept her on the team had it not been that I was playing on release.. and info about new guys was pretty much unknown outside of evolution methods. Didn't know what all she could do for me, so i didn't want to waste a Shiny Stone per-maturely and regret it later.

... seriously though, why isn't it part Grass? or Flying?

Years
  • This isn't really a Pokémon but a move added to a 5th gen. Sticky web on galvantula is an awesome set up. Especially for the pokemon that need just a little bit more speed to set up, the other night I went so hard with a jolly malamar after a sticky web set up. Got off one superpower + contrary, then his next pkmn: granbull came in with intimidate boosting malamars attack even further, swept the rest of his team with physco cut, that included a garchomp 1hko w psycho cut

Sandslash Fan

Spikey Boi
    Years
  • I thought my Greninja was a joke (bred a 5IV Adamant one to try something out). I was barely able to kill a Sandslash and then a Graveller with STAB Water Shuriken; THEN I realized they were both level 48, and my Greninja was level 36 :)

I feel better about it now lol

TheKantoKid

Let's go, Pikachu!
    Years
  • Well I haven't trained any new Pokemon in x y that i thought would be bad but I have trained a Minun for the first time in Y and have found a new respect and love for the little cutie pie~

Deceit

Toxic.
    Years
  • Hawlucha.

When I first tested it in game, the only good thing about it was its signature move Flying Press and its new typing. I dismissed it as one of those Pokémon that don't have good enough stats to be used.

I recently put it on my competitive team after finding someone else who used it against me. Wow, was I wrong. Hawlucha is simply amazing, it just has the perfect moves and ability to allow it to excel, and I've gotten multiple sweeps with it.

Years
  • Vivillon I just wanted to evolve it to see the pattern, but now it won't loose.

I had the same experience as well, I caught this weak Scatterbug and I wanted to see my region's Vivillon form (I get River Vivillon on my game) and while he was weak as Scatterbug and Spewpa, once he became Vivillon he started destroying the entire early part of the game, heck he even beat Viola's Vivillon.

I'm always one who frowns down upon using early Bug-types, but Vivillon is one that has great stats going for it.

I just love this butterfly <333

SnowpointQuincy

Seeker of FRIEND CODES
    Years
  • Flabebe / Florges

I was so angry at this mon for being so weak. It leans nothing stronger than Ember till level 40.

I gave her a Eviolite... She became immortal!!!

Her Evolved form Florges amde it to Elite 4.

Shrew

is a Shrew
    Years
  • Based on just their apperances/roles, before looking at their stats:

Klefki. Just a novelty-looking pokemon with no evolutions.
    Diggersby. Just another Rattata clone, no chance at competitive.
    Talonflame. Just another Pidgey clone, probably going to be the slowest out of them all. (lol)

Pinta77

Yeah Aegislash for me too. Also Meowstic. I got a stupid espurr from my friend and I accidentally left it in my party and evolved it. Well, now it's level 100 and it isn't terrible.

Back