• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Treecko, Torchic, or Mudkip?

Which starter will you pick in ORAS?

• Treecko

Votes: 124 43.2%
  • Torchic

Votes: 52 18.1%
  • Mudkip

Votes: 111 38.7%

• Total voters
Years
    • Seen Nov 4, 2017
    I see what you're saying, but I don't see why those weaknesses should deter you from using the other starters. You won't keep Blaziken in on something that knows EQ, especially since ingame the ones that use it are often Ground- or Rock-types, where Blaziken could just use its own Earthquake to take them out. Swampert has a 4x weakness to Grass, which isn't that uncommon of a type?

with Mega Swampert i'm just speculating that Mega Swampert would be more defensive somewhat allowing it to withstand a grass type attack from Sceptile. I see what you mean with Blaziken, but Earthquake is rarely used on Blaziken now of days. I was leaning towards Torchic at first. It would make Steven a breeze with the right moveset of course, but i keep leaning towards Swampert. it's all speculation.

Years
  • Pretty torn right now. First time I plated Ruby I had Torchic (that I never evolved cause it's too cute haha). Part of me wants to do that for nostalgia sake, plus the fact water and grass types are easier to come by (kinda thinking of getting Breloom and Sharpedo right now). The other part of me wants to go with Treecko or Mudkip for something different and so I can check out the new mega evolutions. Still can't decide where I want to go.

Years
  • Torchic is my favorite Hoenn pokemon so I'm going with him. I have all the Hoenn starters in Y already so there's no issue for me.

Shrew

is a Shrew
    Years
  • Mudkip. :D It's my 2nd favourite evolutionary family!

Looking at the poll results (along with a separate poll that was on a facebook group with similar results), I think it was a big mistake for Gamefreak to encourage players to use Torchic in XY story mode if they were planning RSE remakes. :\

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
  • Gasp; I'm shocked that Torchic is currently losing in the poll..! ;-; But anyways, Torchic was my starter Pokemon in my first playthrough of Pokemon Sapphire Version (even though "Blaziken+Kyogre" is probably the worst combination of "starter Pokemon + Super-Ancient Pokemon {XD}), so I'll be picking him again whenever I can get Pokemon AlphaSapphire Version. Fire is cool, Blaziken's fighting style is cool, the cool "V→X" upgrade from Blaziken to Mega Blaziken is awesome, and chicken tastes yummy (not that I would actually eat my starter Pokemon, mind you :(), so this choice is pretty much a no-brainer for me! :P Torchic for the win! :t255: Mudkip and Treecko are still though...I actually love how all of the Hoenn starter Pokemon Mega Evolutions actually managed to look cool!

The one dampener on Torchic being my starter Pokemon is that the Pokemon anime designates May with Torchic/Blaziken and Brendan (who I'm playing as) with Mudkip/Swampert.. Even though the Pokemon anime generally has no bearing on game canon and that my playthrough doesn't have to "match" the anime, "May with Blaziken and Brendan with Swampert" is etched within my mind quite a bit, so the fact that my own playthrough won't "match" the anime will slightly bother me. {XD}

Years
  • Gasp; I'm shocked that Torchic is currently losing in the poll..!

You could blame a lot of people using Mega Blaziken in X & Y already for that. They wanted to try something different this time around so that's why Treecko and Mudkip are overshadowing Torchic this time around, because Blaziken's Mega was introduced a little less than a year before Sceptile and Swampert, while the latter two are "new" and as a result they want to try the newer Megas.

Lauren92

#pokemonforlife
    Years
  • Even though everyone already has a Blaziken after they gave it away for X and Y, I'll still probably use Torchic to start. It's what I used back in the day, and I think that I'll probably end up going with that on my first play through.

However, I do want to be able to get the other two Pokemon, and their mega stones, the same way I did with the Kanto starters in X and Y :p

Princess Diana

the people's princess
    Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    I'm torn between Torchic and Treecko. I'm surprised that Torchic has such a lack of votes on the poll, actually.

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
  • You could blame a lot of people using Mega Blaziken in X & Y already for that. They wanted to try something different this time around so that's why Treecko and Mudkip are overshadowing Torchic this time around, because Blaziken's Mega was introduced a little less than a year before Sceptile and Swampert, while the latter two are "new" and as a result they want to try the newer Megas.

Yeah, I was kind of thinking "Mega Blaziken fatigue from Pokemon X and Y" might have been an issue (welp, at least Torchic/Blaziken was popular enough to get distributed first!). XD You bring up good points, though.

Hmm.. It won't matter to me regardless since I missed the Blazikenite distribution anyway, and Blazikenite is technically currently limited (since it's not legitimately reproducible yet), so I'll still be ecstatic to finally implement a Mega Blaziken in battle! :t257: ^^

AngelicPikachu

"We're Ready"
    Years
    • Seen Oct 20, 2016
    Hmm..Treecko for Ruby and Torchic for Sapphire...I will probably do one run with Mudkip to get his mega stone though at some point

I know Torchic and the stone was released in X and Y but I was one of the people who didn't use it...so i won't have any problem with using Mega Blaizken in Alpha Sapphire

Treecko only because I also like to make sure the main game legendary and my starter on the same type...I like to have typing balance :) Don't worry Mudkip u'll get some attention to I promise

MySummerJob

Returning Pokemon Collector
    Years
  • Treecko was a boss in the anime so I'll definitely be picking him when I get either Ruby or Sapphire.

That being said though, I wish I could also get the other two =/

Tamara❤

Shiny Hunter
    Years
  • I worked hard to obtain 3 shiny hoen starters for ORAS which I hope to transfer over with Pokebank so the answer to the topic is...all 3 ^_^ (Though Swampert may have to wait before he gets his Mega Stone since the official starter I'm choosing from Professor Birch is a treecko in order to obtain Sceptilite.)

Swodo

Game Developer
    Years
  • I'm getting Treeko, I always thought he was a cool little guy.

Even in Pokemon R/S/E, I thought that Sceptile was such a boss Pokemon. Using the mega-evolution seems like it's gonna be fun.

Years
  • For the first play-through I think I will go for Treecko. Mostly because Treecko was my first partner in Pokémon Ruby, and that shouldn't change in the remake. But I really like them all, so I really have to collect all the starts throughout the first play through.

Back