• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Triple Battles and Rotation Battles

Years
  • These two battle styles were introduced in the Unova games, Black and White (2). Those made a couple appearances in the original games and were even more prominent in the sequels. X and Y didn't have much of these, but they were in the restaurants at Lumiose City, as well as in the post-game at the Battle Maison.

Would you like to see Triple and Rotation Battles return in Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire? Do you think that they will have a few more surprise battles with these styles against other trainers like Black 2 and White 2 did? What's your take on them showing up here? Is there anywhere you think they'll be? Discuss.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • I feel they never really took off like Double battles because they just didn't have enough exposure (and look at reverse type battles - a single house in the middle of a route? Uhh). But I would rather that they don't get too huge a number - I'd much rather see more double battles instead (ala the amount Emerald had compared to RS). Fine with a few though.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
  • I have to agree. We barely got to see any of the new battle styles, and now that there are so many they have to split up the battles we have between all of them. No matter how much we like the other battle types, Pokemon's main focus is Singles, so I doubt that they will increase the amount of non-Singles battles by a lot. I will like to see them return, but I don't think they will in a large enough number.

On a slightly unrelated note, I would like to see unintended double battles return. What I mean is that if two trainers look at you at the same time, I want that to initiate a double battle again like it did in the earlier generations, instead of the two Singles battles in a row like what happens in later games.

Years
    • Seen Jan 5, 2018
    I have to agree. We barely got to see any of the new battle styles, and now that there are so many they have to split up the battles we have between all of them. No matter how much we like the other battle types, Pokemon's main focus is Singles, so I doubt that they will increase the amount of non-Singles battles by a lot. I will like to see them return, but I don't think they will in a large enough number.

On a slightly unrelated note, I would like to see unintended double battles return. What I mean is that if two trainers look at you at the same time, I want that to initiate a double battle again like it did in the earlier generations, instead of the two Singles battles in a row like what happens in later games.

It was a cool feature in emerald that you could get double battle if 2 NPC looked at you, it made the game more dynamic.

Years
  • On a slightly unrelated note, I would like to see unintended double battles return. What I mean is that if two trainers look at you at the same time, I want that to initiate a double battle again like it did in the earlier generations, instead of the two Singles battles in a row like what happens in later games.

Ah yes I forgot about that. It was quite fun to be honest and it was sad 5th Gen nor X/Y had this. This is pretty much one thing from Emerald I do want to see carried over.

Years
  • I'd be more open to Rotational Battles returning over Triple Battles, but at the same time either would be a welcome change of pace from regular battling :) If they make a comeback I can see them being a feature of the Trick House in the same manner as they were in the Battle Maison; not a requirement to progress in the game but a fun bonus for anyone that wants to partake in it :)

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • I'd be more open to Rotational Battles returning over Triple Battles, but at the same time either would be a welcome change of pace from regular battling If they make a comeback I can see them being a feature of the Trick House in the same manner as they were in the Battle Maison; not a requirement to progress in the game but a fun bonus for anyone that wants to partake in it
    That makes a lot of sense, actually. I can see the Trick Master having those trainers use an unusual format of battling (at least for the harder puzzles), as part of the challenge. Good idea! Let's hope Game Freak thought of it too. =p

Years
  • I am actually hoping for a lot of these and a rebattling trainers feature. It would be fun to rebattle trainers with 3 Pokemon instead of one. Also hoping for more Inverse and Sky Battles where you can rebattle the trainers as well. And not just sky trainers doing Sky Battles, but if two people have Flying Pokemon, they do it with the Flying types as well.

I do hope for loads of new kinds of battles though. Rather than one-on-one.

Years
  • That makes a lot of sense, actually. I can see the Trick Master having those trainers use an unusual format of battling (at least for the harder puzzles), as part of the challenge. Good idea! Let's hope Game Freak thought of it too. =p

I like what you say about the harder puzzles, maybe you can work your way up through the styles of battling (single, double, triple, then rotational etc.) as the challenges increase :) Why thank you! :) It's not very often someone says I have a good idea haha, and fingers crossed they do :)

Years
    • Seen Nov 25, 2015
    I think they could almost bring thses back as maybe tate and liza doing a triple battle would be cool but would seem very unlikely but still would be cool? ALso I do agree with the trick Master idea!

Years
  • Ah yes I forgot about that. It was quite fun to be honest and it was sad 5th Gen nor X/Y had this. This is pretty much one thing from Emerald I do want to see carried over.

Actually, while there weren't any moments like that I recalled in BW (could be wrong there though) or XY, BW2 had them in both Reversal Mountain and Victory Road, I think the Plasma Frigate had one instance like that too. Some people didn't like this feature but I did, so it's something I'd be up for.

On the original topic, if the Battle Frontier does return I hope they have Triple/Rotation Battles in the facilities.

Years
    • Seen Jan 5, 2018
    It would be great to have a facility with the new reverse battle and why not Sky battle too.

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
    Years
  • I love triples and wish they became more relevant, which is ironic since I bought the version with more rotation battles instead. Rotation battles are interesting because they modify the prediction skills required to be successful competitively.

I don't think they'll make a comeback in ORAS but rather in the third Kalos version.

Sky battles I don't care much about. They aren't functionally different from regular battles and they're annoying because they force you to have a Flying-type Pokémon at all times.

Years
    • Seen Jan 5, 2018
    I love triples and wish they became more relevant, which is ironic since I bought the version with more rotation battles instead. Rotation battles are interesting because they modify the prediction skills required to be successful competitively.

I don't think they'll make a comeback in ORAS but rather in the third Kalos version.

Sky battles I don't care much about. They aren't functionally different from regular battles and they're annoying because they force you to have a Flying-type Pokémon at all times.

Well if a facility is only Sky Battles you know it will be only flying pokemons. Same thing about the Reverse battle facility where you will need to bring the right pokemons to beat it.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
  • Well if a facility is only Sky Battles you know it will be only flying pokemons. Same thing about the Reverse battle facility where you will need to bring the right pokemons to beat it.

I would really like those facilities, but having them would likely mean the replacement of a current Hoenn one since there are so many and I would rather the Hoenn Battle Frontier stay the same as it is now, unless they're added as Battle Tower modes or something. I do, however, really want more Reverse Battles, maybe not as surprise battles but more reverse trainers scattered throughout Hoenn.

Years
    • Seen Jan 3, 2017
    I would really like those facilities, but having them would likely mean the replacement of a current Hoenn one since there are so many and I would rather the Hoenn Battle Frontier stay the same as it is now, unless they're added as Battle Tower modes or something. I do, however, really want more Reverse Battles, maybe not as surprise battles but more reverse trainers scattered throughout Hoenn.
    How amazing would it be if they put the reverse battles inside a magic mirror? Major bonus points if a Bunnelby or Buneary is involved.

While a Battle Tower mode is the most likely, I would love it if they made a Sky Battle facility a blimp.

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~

Buffalo State College
    Years
  • I feel they never really took off like Double battles because they just didn't have enough exposure (and look at reverse type battles - a single house in the middle of a route? Uhh). But I would rather that they don't get too huge a number - I'd much rather see more double battles instead (ala the amount Emerald had compared to RS). Fine with a few though.

Anything but reverse battles, I cannot stand those types of battles....they make me cringe just thinking about it DX

How amazing would it be if they put the reverse battles inside a magic mirror? Major bonus points if a Bunnelby or Buneary is involved.

Or better yet, put reverse battles in the trick master's house as one of the puzzles.

I was also thinking that Tate and Liza would be a reverse battle gym and it would be really challenging to have a double reverse battle. Those two just remind me of the guy in the house that introduces us to reverse battles.

:t354:TG

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
  • Or better yet, put reverse battles in the trick master's house as one of the puzzles.

Wow, yes please! Maybe in one of the later ones, or in a set of new puzzles that get released after we clear the game. Looks like it would fit perfectly with the Trick House theme, especially if we weren't told about it before walking in.

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
  • I would love for triple battles and rotation battles to become more widespread in the Hoenn region, in addition to Sky Battles and Inverse Battles. I feel like one of Winona's rematches should involve Sky Battles somehow, and as others have mentioned, Inverse Battles would work great for the Trick House. At the very least, Triple Battles, Rotation Battles, Sky Battles, and Inverse Battles need to be offered as battle modes for the Battle Tower, Dome, and Factory (basically, anywhere that had Single and Double Battle mode options in Emerald, as I imagine that Triple/Rotation Battle modes would get quite unwieldy for places like Battle Pike and Battle Pyramid.) The Inverse Battle mode should be offered wherever Single Battle modes are available, though. Triple Battles, Rotation Battles, and Sky Battles might be able to be sprinkled in places like the Battle Pike (provided that they are restricted to certain "rooms"), though.

Gwah? ~_~ They took this out in post-Pokemon Emerald games? BOO! :( Yeah; this feature needs to come back - it was clever and it also makes players plan their approaches/navigations in certain areas carefully (a skill that is especially needed in the Battle Pyramid, as you need to conserve your party Pokemons' health). Even though this kind of thing bugged me in the Battle Pyramid and Battle Pike, it needs to return. :P I loved how Emerald's Trainer Hill usually lets you "choose" this type of "unintended Double Battle" depending on how you navigate the floors. :D

Wow, yes please! Maybe in one of the later ones, or in a set of new puzzles that get released after we clear the game. Looks like it would fit perfectly with the Trick House theme, especially if we weren't told about it before walking in.

This.

Years
  • Gwah? ~_~ They took this out in post-Pokemon Emerald games? BOO! :( Yeah; this feature needs to come back

I can point out that the 4th Gen games still had these styles of Double Battle. I know that it didn't return in 5th Gen as far as I know.

Back