• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

turn it off and on again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leviathan

[span="font-family:ubuntu; color: whitesmoke; padd
Years
  • Windows explorer seems to want to do it's own thing, in my experience.

Sadly my own problems seem to be persisting...Guess I'm gonna have to turn towards a Windows 8 forum for some insight into this mysterious behavior. I really hope it's not a router issue. Specifically, a DNS problem, as that can also afflict my game consoles and Skype seems to work since the ports are set aside for it on the router itself. It's one quagmire I'd like to stay well away from if it all possible.

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    Anybody hear who tested W10 and who can tell me how well Virtual Desktops work in it, so far? I'm playing around with said feature on W7 and it's not nearly as good as it could be (not even close to what Linux has to offer). Granted, they didn't include it as a feature, which is why I have to use a tool that "unlocks" it, so I shouldn't complain about it too much. But I'm curious as to how they managed to work that feature out.

Years
  • I haven't even played with Windows 10 yet, and I probably should. Not sure yet if I should install it on a test laptop or in a virtual machine, though.

Years
  • I haven't even played with Windows 10 yet, and I probably should. Not sure yet if I should install it on a test laptop or in a virtual machine, though.

I'd VM it, myself.

I've been trying to Dual Boot it but "LMAO NO MBR BOOT OPTION FOR YOU AND YOU DON'T SUPPORT GPT"

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    *sigh*

If only there was something that ran Windows, has a Core M processor, doesn't exceed 11", is a real tablet and not a laptop that happens to be able to twist all the way, fan-less,1080p or better display, and has pen support.

Closest things are the Microsoft Surface 3 (doesn't have Core M, pricier) and Acer Aspire Switch 12 (12.5"!, heavier). If I had to pick between these two, what would you pick?

Years
  • Honestly, I'd want a Surface. I had been wanting one for what seems like eons now. As always though, they're way out of my price range. :P

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    Honestly, I'd want a Surface. I had been wanting one for what seems like eons now. As always though, they're way out of my price range. :P

These add-ons always cost money.

Other OEMs aren't quite making a complete equivalent, though.

Years
  • I just installed the windows 10 preview thingy today. Loving it so far. My only small issue is some games had their resolution settings reset, which is an easy fix.

Years
  • I just installed the windows 10 preview thingy today. Loving it so far. My only small issue is some games had their resolution settings reset, which is an easy fix.
    Did you install it in a VM or over Windows 7/8 as a physical install? Just wondering. :3

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    You should have waited. While testers do get their copies when it goes final release, you'll have to keep updating (Including the newest of features, even if it potentially breaks stuff) to keep your license, whereas with 8 you can just install it through Windows Update and you can later on opt out of updates.

He installed it over 8.1, so things should work like the normal release once the final build rolls out.

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    Nope: https://www.engadget.com/2015/06/22/windows-10-licensing-explained-beta/

Basically, any Windows 10 installations right now are considered test copies and are subject to these rules, so you'll have to continue being MS' guinea pig. If you install the final when it's out on the 29th (Through Windows Update for 7/8/8.1 users or a disc purchased at a store or a downloaded ISO with accompanying product key), you'll be considered a regular consumer and won't have such restrictions.

This should make my point clearer.

Gabe Aul said:
    "I want to opt out of the Windows Insider Program on 7/29." If you decide to opt-out of the program and upgrade to the 7/29 build you will be subject to exactly the same terms and conditions that govern the offer* that was extended to all Genuine Windows 7 and 8.1 customers. This is not a path to attain a license for Windows XP or Windows Vista systems. If your system upgraded from a Genuine Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 license it will remain activated, but if not, you will be required to roll back to your previous OS version or acquire a new Windows 10 license. If you do not roll back or acquire a new license the build will eventually expire.

If he is indeed installing 10 over 8.1 and not as a clean install, once he arrives at the RTM build, he is free to do as he please with the OS.

Blu·Ray

Manta Ray Pokémon
    Years
  • And even if it was a clean install, if the computer had 8 preinstalled the license would be tied to the motherboard and would still be valid for 8. I don't know if that will carry over to 10 or if one would have to reinstall 8 and then 10 over that, but in any case, the license would not be lost.

Years
  • Today I loaded Cyanogenmod 12 onto my Nexus 7 2013 model. I hope that the auto-rotate not working is just a fluke in the stock Google ROM, but I also wanted to try CM for the heck of it as well.

Years
  • Definitely get Xposed installed, you won't regret it. I did that with my Nexus 7 2012 and it's just fantastic.
    What exactly is Xposed?

Also, for some reason, the device goes offline in adb after it boots up. Any way to fix that?

Years
  • I explained some of it here, you can also read up on the official site. Basically it's an addon framework that integrates modifications during runtime so you can play around with stuff on your device without having to edit APK files.
    Hmm, interesting! I'll give it a look sometime, although I was just mainly looking forward to getting away from Google's stock ROMs for Lollipop.

Do you at least know about my case with adb though, and why the device goes offline with Cyanogenmod?

Years
  • As for ADB, I had a ton of issues with it on my computer. I know that if you go "adb devices", it may be listed there, and you may just have to use adb along with the device ID if it's shown there. Let me pop on my tablet here and I'll take a peek at the settings and see what you can play with.
    This is what I see on my end whenever I idle the device while plugged in, and USB debugging is enabled, too.

turn it off and on again

Years
  • Another thing I'd look at is how old your version of the SDK is. If adb is outdated, it may not play nicely, or at all, with newer Android versions. I had the same issue when I tried pulling files from my Alcatel one time, I had some older versions for ICS that didn't work nicely with JB.
    The thing is, I'm pretty sure it's up to date, because I literally downloaded everything, including the SDK all just today.

Years
  • At this point, I'd probably check on stackoverflow or perhaps XDA's Nexus 7 section. Those are usually things that should get it working, it's strange that it isn't.
    It worked flawlessly when I had the stock ROM though, so it has to be something with Cyanogenmod. I'll look around on XDA for sure though!

Years
  • It worked flawlessly when I had the stock ROM though, so it has to be something with Cyanogenmod. I'll look around on XDA for sure though!

I've had a bit more luck running things with mfastboot commands from the device's bootloader. This can depend on your device of course, and of course your ROM (I'm Carbon ROM so I guess there's something????), but it's worth looking into depending on your needs.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back