• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

News: Two Familiar Faces Appear in the Pokémon Sun and Moon Anime!

CodeHelmet

Banned
Years
  • I know its been a bit more than 11 years since Misty was last in a Pokemon Episode(April of 2006 or the tail end of Season 8 with respect to the English Dub. Over 12 years with regards to the Japanese Anime) but the manner in which they're promoting this event is getting to the point where they're going to be around longer than just 2 Episodes. I mean why go to the extent that they have if its just for 2 Episodes. Granted they're iconic characters for the franchise but still.... logically speaking there has to be more to it. Even past character returns weren't promoted to the extent this one has(if I'm not mistaken).

I do recall a Japanese poll(and yes Weedle, you'd be correct on that) being taken regarding which characters we'd like to see return to the anime and these two took #1 and #3 respectively(with Serena taking #2). If this poll had anything to do with this return, one can conclude that Serena is in the cards as well(even though I think its too early).

Last edited:

Unown Seer

Earnest
    Years
    • Seen Dec 6, 2020
    I could see Misty going to Alola to appreciate its sea and Water-type Pokemon (and Z-moves), but even then she wouldn't be around the gang often. The cast is too bloated as it is, unfortunately.

And that poll is unrelated to these episodes since the decision would have been made by March at latest. If anything, the initial excitement for the movie, in no small part since Brock and Misty were expected, was the deciding factor.

I'm happy about this, but the movie has taught me to temper my expectations.

Last edited:

Dingbat

Cacnea is AWESOME.
    Years
    • Age 35
    • Seen Nov 7, 2023
    forgive me if this is being addressed as I'm a little confused as to what counts as Canon regarding the series relating to movies, but didn't they just release a movie effectively removing Misty and Brock as Ash's friends? Does that mean that this episode will reintroduce them? Or is the 20th movie being ignored for the purposes of the anime?

Frozocrone

Fighting a bigger fight
    Years
  • forgive me if this is being addressed as I'm a little confused as to what counts as Canon regarding the series relating to movies, but didn't they just release a movie effectively removing Misty and Brock as Ash's friends? Does that mean that this episode will reintroduce them? Or is the 20th movie being ignored for the purposes of the anime?

I Choose You was confirmed to be an alternate timeline, separate from the main TV series

Years
  • I think the recent character poll may have had something to do with it, considering Brock topped it and Misty came third (behind Serena) which does show that they are still popular characters among the Japanese fans.

I don't know if the upcoming figure set of all of Ash's previous female companions had anything to do with it though.

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    I could see Misty going to Alola to appreciate its sea and Water-type Pokemon (and Z-moves), but even then she wouldn't be around the gang often. The cast is too bloated as it is, unfortunately.

And that poll is unrelated to these episodes since the decision would have been made by March at latest. If anything, the initial excitement for the movie, in no small part since Brock and Misty were expected, was the deciding factor.

I'm happy about this, but the movie has taught me to temper my expectations.

Well, let's not dismiss the poll thing. After all, there definitely had to be a reason why that poll was even made there, and more than just 20th anniversary stuff.

And as far as your first point, even if she doesn't fully rejoin the main cast, as long as she at least is pursuing her Water Pokémon Master goal and not forced back into the gym, I'll be fine with it.

BTW, Pikachan made this teaser tweet regarding Misty and Brock dealing with storyboards. And it's confirmed that the teaser image of Misty with hearts in the background is definitely from this storyboarded scene: https://twitter.com/PikaChan_Wasa2/status/902455806003560448

Another teaser image from Japanese Pokemon Twitter Page:

DIYr6RcVoAEkJRC.jpg

That's actually the teaser image I alluded to earlier about it being on Serebii.net.

Last edited:

CidHazard

just a miserable pile of secrets
    Years
  • even if she doesn't fully rejoin the main cast, as long as she at least is pursuing her Water Pokémon Master goal and not forced back into the gym, I'll be fine with it..

I actually want her to be a recurring character actually, It won't be much of a stretch to say we might see her and brock in a couple more episodes this saga.

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    I actually want her to be a recurring character actually, It won't be much of a stretch to say we might see her and brock in a couple more episodes this saga.

I'll settle for recurring character if it at least means she's pursuing her Water Pokémon Goal like she was supposed to, and not being forced back into the gym like usual. I'm still sore about what GCYL and the Cleffa episodes did to her, heck, what AG did to the gym leaders' reputations regarding competence.

Unown Seer

Earnest
    Years
    • Seen Dec 6, 2020
    I don't think being a gym leader has been a bad experience for her, and the Hoso episodes were a nice touch. But yeah, she shouldn't be shackled to that gym.

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    I don't think being a gym leader has been a bad experience for her, and the Hoso episodes were a nice touch. But yeah, she shouldn't be shackled to that gym.

Maybe not, but after AG did irreparable damage to the gym leaders' cred by having them lose to rookie Pokémon far too easily (so easily, in fact, that many times they came across as being JUST like Jessie, James, and Meowth when they lost to that Caterpie in Episode 3), I am not fond of Misty remaining a gym leader, especially not when she didn't particularly like being forcibly placed into the gym leader position and is only in that situation due to necessity. She wasn't happy to be running the gym in GCYL, and even in her second reappearance, she tried to delay returning to the gym to such an extent that Daisy threatened to hand out badges to get her to comply.

Now, if she actually CHOSE to be a Gym Leader of her own free will like with Clemont in the ending of XY, and willingly changed her goal to be that, that's one thing.

EDIT:

Hiroyuki Kato tweeted the following, which involves a concept art of Misty being chased by Ash:

https://twitter.com/kato_olm/status/902899613555818496

Spoiler:

BTW, anyone know how to implement actual Twitter image links?

I also stumbled upon a tweet by Mayumi Iizuka with the image CidHazard posted above in her post. Here it is: https://twitter.com/MayuTama0103/status/902841019141472257

Last edited:

EC

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen Jul 1, 2022
    Misty looks so happy to see Ash in that picture above.

CodeHelmet

Banned
    Years
  • Maybe it's because she hasn't seen Ash in over 10 years...

Assuming time actually exists in the eyes of the writers(remember, Ash is forever 10). For all we know, the past 12 seasons could have all been crammed into a span of 3 months. ;)

Anyways, more and more is being leaked regarding this event and I'm really starting to think this isn't a two Episode affair(I'm with Weedle on this). If they bring em back for two Episodes and Misty returns to the Gym, am I free to assume that Weedle will fly to Japan and personally protest in front of their HQ?

Years
  • Assuming time actually exists in the eyes of the writers(remember, Ash is forever 10). For all we know, the past 12 seasons could have all been crammed into a span of 3 months. ;)

Anyways, more and more is being leaked regarding this event and I'm really starting to think this isn't a two Episode affair(I'm with Weedle on this). If they bring em back for two Episodes and Misty returns to the Gym, am I free to assume that Weedle will fly to Japan and personally protest in front of their HQ?

I do hope the writers make use of acknowledging how long it's been since Ash actually saw Misty, but I can agree that this hype being release may suggest it's more than just two episodes. I also often headcanon that Ash is younger than both Misty and Brock.

Weedle protesting tho hahahaha

Well played.

Frozocrone

Fighting a bigger fight
    Years
  • Strangely enough they're only showing events up to Johto's conclusion.

Probably a nostalgia trip but I hope we see Pokemon from ADV, DP, BW and XY so we can have an answer once and for all whether SM is set after XY.

Otherwise I think those SM is not following on from XY arguments are going to continue to happen.

Years
  • Strangely enough they're only showing events up to Johto's conclusion.

Probably a nostalgia trip but I hope we see Pokemon from ADV, DP, BW and XY so we can have an answer once and for all whether SM is set after XY.

Otherwise I think those SM is not following on from XY arguments are going to continue to happen.

This is a concern I have as well, because I believed in a false rumour that SM only followed on from OS and pretending that AG, DP, BW and XY never happened. If we're only getting OS flashbacks, then I'm worried that the writers are only caring about Kanto fanservice and ignoring other generations. And I wouldn't blame them because the drastic change to formula in SM almost implies that it would be a reboot.

We know the games shoved loads of Kanto fanservice, such as where the player character used to be from and the Alola Forms all being Kanto Pokemon. If the SM anime also only cares about acknowledging Kanto and no other region, this will definitely sour my opinion on 7th Gen as a whole and will likely hurt 7th Gen's place on my overall favourite generations ranking.

I know it's the 20th anniversary, but stop with the Kanto fanservice!

Last edited:

CodeHelmet

Banned
    Years
  • So TR goes back to Kanto after all(was wrong about that), Misty has another freak out over Bugs(that I did predict) but Jigglypuff being there is a new one. Maybe one of the companions will catch it(Lillie perhaps?). The lack of post-Kanto Pokemon is a bit troubling but the class trip is about Kanto Pokemon and seeing the differences between Kanto and Alola versions(just like Ash's report back in Episode 24). Instead of a report, they're doing a hands on or visual study of Kanto Pokemon at Professor Oak's lab. It doesn't mean, however, that Ash won't meet up with his old Pokemon like he has done every time he visits.

I'd love to see Lana's reaction towards Oshawott, the rambunctious little Water Pokemon(if that even happens at all). Also wonder if Squirtle will make a surprise appearance.

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    This is a concern I have as well, because I believed in a false rumour that SM only followed on from OS and pretending that AG, DP, BW and XY never happened. If we're only getting OS flashbacks, then I'm worried that the writers are only caring about Kanto fanservice and ignoring other generations. And I wouldn't blame them because the drastic change to formula in SM almost implies that it would be a reboot.

We know the games shoved loads of Kanto fanservice, such as where the player character used to be from and the Alola Forms all being Kanto Pokemon. If the SM anime also only cares about acknowledging Kanto and no other region, this will definitely sour my opinion on 7th Gen as a whole and will likely hurt 7th Gen's place on my overall favourite generations ranking.

I know it's the 20th anniversary, but stop with the Kanto fanservice!

Ehh, to be fair, it IS set in Kanto, and I'm pretty sure the other Pokémon from past generations will cameo anyways. Besides, at least they're focusing on some elements of the past. At least it's better than M20 where they outright did away with the past entirely save for Pikachu and Ash's first meeting. Heck, it's actually getting far better with continuity than Battle Frontier did the last time we had a major revisit with Kanto, especially considering Ash barely even called back to any of his old Kanto adventures despite it being within that region.

And I take it the "false rumor" is referring to something Ash's Japanese VA said about how in her head Ash went directly to Alola after Kanto. Considering it had clips from Johto, I'm pretty sure we don't need to worry about that rumor being true, or at least the specific rumor about Ash going to Alola directly from Kanto. And if it is indeed true that that Japanese poll played at least some role in Misty and Brock returning, we shouldn't rule out an appearance from Serena either, meaning they're definitely going to confirm that XY's canon as well.

So TR goes back to Kanto after all(was wrong about that), Misty has another freak out over Bugs(that I did predict) but Jigglypuff being there is a new one. Maybe one of the companions will catch it(Lillie perhaps?). The lack of post-Kanto Pokemon is a bit troubling but the class trip is about Kanto Pokemon and seeing the differences between Kanto and Alola versions(just like Ash's report back in Episode 24). Instead of a report, they're doing a hands on or visual study of Kanto Pokemon at Professor Oak's lab. It doesn't mean, however, that Ash won't meet up with his old Pokemon like he has done every time he visits.

Yeah, agreed. I'm pretty sure his AG, DP, BW, and XY Pokémon will at least cameo. After all, a large part of it is set in Oak's Lab.

I'd love to see Lana's reaction towards Oshawott, the rambunctious little Water Pokemon(if that even happens at all). Also wonder if Squirtle will make a surprise appearance.

We'll see, and I'm pretty sure Oshawott will make some cameo at least. As far as Squirtle, I also hope that Squirtle, similar to Charizard back in BW, also gets a permanent return as well. Heck, I'm hoping that Pidgeot gets an actual reappearance/return. They've gone FAR too long with Ash not meeting up with Pidgeot as he had promised him. With Johto, I can forgive Ash failing to meet up with Pidgeot since Oak sent him out the door post-haste and immediately sent him over to Johto before he could get a chance to revisit Pidgeot. AG, however, Ash had plenty of time to revisit Pidgeot, yet he doesn't even make any attempt to do so. As it is, he actually is coming across as being as bad as Damian when the latter "promised" to come back for Charmander.

Strangely enough they're only showing events up to Johto's conclusion.

To be fair, at least it refutes Ash's VA's claim that Ash went to Alola directly after Kanto, so there's that to be said. Besides, this definitely beats M20's rather stupid attempts at retconning practically everything in the series.

I do hope the writers make use of acknowledging how long it's been since Ash actually saw Misty, but I can agree that this hype being release may suggest it's more than just two episodes. I also often headcanon that Ash is younger than both Misty and Brock.

Weedle protesting tho hahahaha

Well, I don't know about personally protesting Japan. I don't have enough money to afford a plane ticket to Japan, and even if I did, I'm not that skilled in Japanese (not to mention I need a LOT more than just knowing Japanese to even get in their doors, let alone get my message across to the writers. I once asked a friend to go over to the Japanese Pokemon headquarters when she was briefly staying in Japan with her college group. She wasn't even let into the door, let alone able to make her case.). But I may have to double down, ultimately. Though going by her brief bio in the Televi-kun scan, there's the likelihood that Misty's actually going back to her Water Pokemon Master goal since there's zero mention of her being the Cerulean Gym Leader, despite that essentially being where she is at.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Feb 25, 2018
    I still think the information would've leaked if Brock and Misty were returning for more than the two episodes. Maybe they'll come back again later on besides these two, but right now it's just the two episodes. I could be wrong of course, but I don't really get why so many are thinking this is gonna be a more than two episode thing.

Very cool video preview. Definitely a few callbacks to classic moments like Misty pulling Brock away from a girl and Ash will see at least Bulbasaur again. I like the Kanto and Alola forms meeting each other too. I wonder how they're going to work in the OS cast and Alola cast interacting together.

Last edited:
    Back