• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Un-Noticed Hacks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

shinygoldash

bagel-meister ;)
Years
  • I've been comparing Hack Showcase to Scrapbox and no one cares about hacks there.
    Only the BIG hacks get noticed and shows that no-one cares about small hacks.

Everyone works hard on hacks, like I, and some have un-believable things already made and everyone brushes them away like dirt.

Take my hack for example, it has a really good plot and D/P pokes being inserted but everyone thinks that is someone else's rom or something!

Here are the hacks that get noticed:

Hacks with suspense and reputation.
    Hacks that get made by someone who made a good hack.
    GSC Re-Makes.*Yawn* (There's a DS one coming soon)
    And many more...

destinedjagold

You can contact me in PC's discord server...
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2023
    hm... well, I do check the scrapbox myself to look at some hacks which are very catchable to the eye, for instance, your hack, and Clear Diamond, which was in the scrapbox at first.

there are many interesting hacks in the scrapbox, however, I'm a bit annoyed with the 'help wanted' or 'in need of scripters' and such...

also, the hack's showcase is where the hacks which are showing great skill of work are shown, and those hacks in the scrapbox are transfered to the hack's showcase.

simply put that the scrapbox is where you can show your hack under process, simply like, you are still in school, and when it graduate in the requirements of the hack's showcase, it's transfered there...

that's my side, for now, at least... and also, the GSC remake for DS is 'still' in rumors, with no official statements that it will be coming unlike Platinum.

it takes time to make someone likes your work, though...
    this is competition, as it may seem, though I hate competing, but that's life of a hacker.

and from your statement in your first post, it seems that as if you are really competing, unlike me, who is just hacking for fun and to give everyone a nice hack to play.

I care less about who will be popular, who's hack will be popular, competition.
    Just enjoy hacking is my way of doing things.

Years
  • Well, a lot of people look at the Scrap box. From time to time I see the Big people like DJG, Zel, Thethethethe, and others. I think the Scrap Box, gets as many views as the Hack Showcase. Also, If you want your Hack noticed, Then put it in The Hack Showcase. It's called Hack showcase for a reason.

shinygoldash

bagel-meister ;)
    Years
  • Yeah, I think you guys have changed my mind and cleared my anger.

I want people to show their opinions on this.

Thanks DJG & YG.

BigSteve

Pokemon Bright Gold
    Years
  • not all hacks in the scrapbox are unnoticed
    my hack gets an alright bit of attention tbh
    making a support banner helps :)
    people will see it that way and be like 'oo wonder what thats like?' and look
    but yeah, some just sink down into the back pages :(

Zeikku™

Johto remaker
    Years
  • Ok you guys may know this, but my hack Pokemon Clear Diamond got more views and comments in the scrapbox then it did in showcase, maybe because I had more than just Idea's. People like seeing some form of progress, Having a story is good, But 8/10 of the hacks in The Scrapbox only have a Story/ Plot and features planned out. No offense to you Shinygoldash, But half the people seem to be a little...whats the word.. Unsure about pointless things like tiles etc.

The reason hacks in showcase are more popular is because it's where the best hacks are showcased, they all started from very small idea's which obviously grew into something great.

Zel's shiny gold for example was a very simple hack back when I joined this community, it didn't have any tiles inserted. yet it made a name for itself.
    Rijon adventures is similar, it focuses on gameplay and not tiles.
    Then recently we've had destinedjagold, with his rein of legends and his symbolic mystery dungeon themed hack.
    We have coolboyman's prism, which one HoTY, for being a GSC hack. Very simple yet very entertaining

The fact is, hacks in the Scrapbox need something which separates them from being standard.
    As I recall, Barkers pikachu's tale is getting a lot of publicity. Due to him actually making progress.

Nalesnik

My mom thinks I'm cool
    Years
    • Seen Jun 12, 2008
    I kinda like it that way, then ppl know which hacks are are worthy to recieve recognition. A lot of hacks in the scrapbox are just those started by ppl on a whim figuring it would be easy and short. But then they realize that it takes a lot of time and dedication to actaully finish a hack, and they simply abandon it after only a couple days (if not hours) of work.

Those ppl willing to put the time and quality into thier hack deserve to proudly present thier hacks in a seperate forum, to distinguish them from the ones that couldn't cut it. Also if ur hack is good enough (and has the necessary requirments) then it will be eventually be bumped up to the showcase.

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2023
    What if hacks are un-noticed in here?
    Its the human nature to be lazy and not check other stuff out.
    Some hacks get more attention because they have screenshots, a more appealing title, because the story is better, or just because of the author.
    Its not anyone's fault that they don't check other threads, its that they are too lazy or hate something about it.
    The people who are actually willing to try to complete the hack knowing how tedious and difficult it will be will get recognized more. Thus forth, some games don't get as much attention as the more famous games. Make a banner to interest people and attract attention.Some games have 20 banners while others have not even 1.
    I'm sure everyone is sick of G/S/C remakes when there is shinygold.

The conclusion is:
    Just because your thread doesn't get much posts, it doesn't mean that its worse than another thread with more posts. And you have to work hard for your hack to get more noticed.Advertising is the key here.

As for me, i usually don't check out the other threads because i just have the thought that it is cancelled or on a hiatus.Banners and links catch my eye, and then I usually check the threads for more good hacks.

Quilava's Master

Shattered Dreams '13
    Years
    • Seen Aug 14, 2023
    WHen we (scyther X and I ) were in the scrapbox we had zero buzz...it was pretty sad then we met the requirements and got moved to the showcase, but its not like we have megap poularity there even though we have won HToW and a fairly decent amout of supporters. I say its you who has to want to be noticed. We legit bup ourselves whenever we have something new to offer. Screenshots are key. Many people in the scrapbox get a few dinky views because they think its the scrapbox so y post screenshots. Thats a one way ticket to failing. Banners help too (if anyone could tell em how to make em I would have more) if you put the link to your thread in th the picture then people will be more attarcted. But i do say that some threads dont get a lot of buzz becasue fo the hack juggernauts (Shiny Gold, Ruby Destiny, etc) I love those hacks but a lot of people after playing them try to outshine them (hence the billions of g/s/c remakes) and end up failing miserably.

zel 2.0

Gold Remaker
    Years
  • I check the Scrapbox sometimes, but since most of the projects there are still on their first steps, I dont get too excited about them yet, mainly because a big % of them are mainly pages about ideas, which is good, but still not enough for my taste. However, I'm sure most of them, if the hacker's serious about the project (regardeless of if the hack's getting attention), will one of this days make it into the Hacks Showcase and then they'll start becoming noticed.

So, it's just a matter of time, but mainly of determination by the rom hacker.

ZodiacDaGreat

Working on a Mobile System
    Years
  • Well, It's not anyone's problem that the hack's unnoticed - remember it was put there in the scrapbox the first place. Like you've said yourself, people work hard on their hacks, so to get more attention you have to work harder, people who've got well known hacks worked really hard. It's unfair if a non-quality hack gets attention.

GSC remake what's wrong with this? This depends on the author alone you can't force someone not to do something, I agree its too much, but if the hacks brilliant then its brilliant no question about that.

Teh Baro

In my times...!
    Years
  • Your post looks more like it's protesting for your hack being unnoticed than small hacks being unnoticed in general.

/Circa

a face in the clouds.
    Years
  • The thing that ticks me off about scrapbox hacks, is the user making ten different hacks and ditching others. Plus, everyones using a rom base ;s.

They want tilers, scripters, storyline writers, its not even their hack at all, they just have the thread.

shinygoldash

bagel-meister ;)
    Years
  • I know someone who had 1 reply which was closing it after he worked so hard to get a good thread up in the scrapbox and people didn't care at all.

I'm just thinking that some hacks are treated unfair.

DJG: I do hack for fun but it's not really fun unless you are playing a hack which you don't know what's going to happen. Or high quality hacks which I respect.

Corrosion

Support Pokemon Amber!
    Years
  • Well I've been working on mine, and I am constantly bumping and refreshing it. This is for several reasons:
    1. There are quite a few hacks in the Scrapbox. This area has opened the opportunity for people present their current work without screenshots, and thus better it before it gets shown in the Showcase. Those already in there get constantly pushed onto the next page and thus unnoticed.

2. The majority are below the par of the Hacks Showcase hacks. This is not true of all hacks, but there are a lot that are "Here today, Gone tomorrow."

3. Personally, I find that my personal life is more important than my life. Although I dedicate time to it in bursts, I do not consistently update the topic. With this, there is less incentive to return to the Scrapbox with viewers.

4. People naturally want to play a hack- if there isn't an Alpha/Beta the majority lose interest.

5. There are a good number of hacks that are just lines such as "I want to make a hack with d/p pokes plz", so finding the decent hacks is quite hard.

If you want to get recognized, move to the Hacks Showcase. I wouldn't mind more replies, but I guess that that is my own fault and choice. So I am not complaining. Another thing- If you want more replies, give the average viewer something to reply about.

shinygoldash

bagel-meister ;)
    Years
  • Thanks, that's some of the good things. A few of the bad ones too.

Still, thanks for your opinion.

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years
  • Mmmm...
    Points, points points...
    It's like that in the fanfic industry too...
    You move onto the 2nd page, you gotta bump your own thread or it'll never be noticed...
    But... that's life...
    You get bumped back, you just move on...
    But...You have a point there...

Years
  • Also, I don't care to look into the scrapbox, because theres alot of people who obviously don't know
    how to read tutorials, Make a thread just to say that they can't script or something.
    They also right , heres an idea of my Hack...

I need Advanced Scripters, the best mappers, ect.

MudMast

Does not exist.
    Years
  • I agree with the people here.

like, my one for example, had NO OTHER people view it for almost 2 weeks!
    as not many people know me.

But, popular people/ assorted attention seekers/ those who use another account to get attention/ etc.
    get noticed near instantly.

And, if you check how many people look at the Emulation section, now: 79 (32 members & 47 guests)

Scrapbox: 11 (6 members & 5 guests)

Hacks Showcase: 43 (18 members & 25 guests)

Thats the difference.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back