• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Underrated/Overrated Pokemon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Atomic Pirate

I always win.
Years
  • Anything Eevee-related is overrated. Lucario is also extremely overrated, I can't really see the appeal of it (although it is pretty good competitively). Snivy, Reuniclus, Gothitelle, and Hydreigon, among many others, deserve mentions for overrated 5th gen Pokes. Charizard and Lugia are older overrated Pokemon. Honestly, I don't get why everyone prefers Lugia over Ho-Oh. As for underrated, I'd like to direct some attention to these Pokemon:

True, these are only a few underrated Pokemon, but they are some of my favorite underrated Pokes. Nobody used Emboar because they were too busy giving Snivy it's usual "Smugleaf" love, and Oshawott it's "so bad it's cute" love. I, however, went with Tepig, and I found Emboar to be quite good (Maybe it's just because I got one with an Adamant nature). As for Heracross, everyone was choosing Scizor over it, and although I quite like Scizor, I like Heracross's Fighting type quite a bit. With Tropius, many know it as the perfect HM Slave, but it's actually able to fend for itself a bit. Not perfect, I know, but it's a decent Pokemon anyway. Shuckle is one of the most interesting Pokemon that I have seen, with it's awful stats except for it's Def/SpDef stats, but it's a good Toxic Waller not deserving of all the hate it gets.

Years
  • Anything Eevee-related is overrated. Lucario is also extremely overrated, I can't really see the appeal of it (although it is pretty good competitively). Snivy, Reuniclus, Gothitelle, and Hydreigon, among many others, deserve mentions for overrated 5th gen Pokes. Charizard and Lugia are older overrated Pokemon. Honestly, I don't get why everyone prefers Lugia over Ho-Oh. As for underrated, I'd like to direct some attention to these Pokemon:

True, these are only a few underrated Pokemon, but they are some of my favorite underrated Pokes. Nobody used Emboar because they were too busy giving Snivy it's usual "Smugleaf" love, and Oshawott it's "so bad it's cute" love. I, however, went with Tepig, and I found Emboar to be quite good (Maybe it's just because I got one with an Adamant nature). As for Heracross, everyone was choosing Scizor over it, and although I quite like Scizor, I like Heracross's Fighting type quite a bit. With Tropius, many know it as the perfect HM Slave, but it's actually able to fend for itself a bit. Not perfect, I know, but it's a decent Pokemon anyway. Shuckle is one of the most interesting Pokemon that I have seen, with it's awful stats except for it's Def/SpDef stats, but it's a good Toxic Waller not deserving of all the hate it gets.

I 100% agree with Emboar, mine has a good nature too (Jolly).

I have never heard of Hydreigon and Gothitelle being overrated (I use both on my main team) and I like their designs anyway, I know how overrated Reuniclus is cos of it becoming a threat under Trick Room.

I got my Emboar in a trade and he was amazing. One thing unique with my Emboar is that he has pretty good Speed, he was even able to outspeed a lot of stuff (maybe he might have good IVs in Speed or something).

Last edited:
    Years
  • Heracross is definitely one of my favorite underated PKMN but I'd have to go with Persian or Zangoose. They're just... Idk, I like them I guess:P

Years
  • Overrated(prepares shield): Pikachu, just the fact that Pikachu is the face of the franchise sort of irks me because I don't like him all that much. I love Raichu though!

Underrated: I'm gonna say Arbok, he was the first pokemon I got to Level 100 and back in Silver he stuck with me the whole time absolutely destroying everything in his path.

Also, Kingler, he's always done me well when he's on my teams.

Years
  • Who thinks Gothitelle is overrated? According to a post earlier by Elgyem, he claims Gothitelle is overrated.

IMO I think she's underrated cos so many people like Reuniclus better therefore more people want to play White rather than Black.

My Gothitelle is Level 91 right now, I've had her since catching her as a Level 19 Gothita. She can Calm Mind like a champ, and on top of that a Calm nature effectively making Gothitelle my team's Special tank. With a lot of Calm Mind boosts, she can tank Special-based attacks really well. Plus her design is pretty cool and her cry reminds me of Psycho.

I think she can be awesome when trained well, and with her high Sp. Defense she can use Calm Mind effectively to add to that Special bulk while raising her Sp. Attack at the same time.

Yoshikko

the princess has awoken while the prince sleeps on
    Years
    • Seen Apr 27, 2020
    Who thinks Gothitelle is overrated? According to a post earlier by Elgyem, he claims Gothitelle is overrated.

IMO I think she's underrated cos so many people like Reuniclus better therefore more people want to play White rather than Black.

My Gothitelle is Level 91 right now, I've had her since catching her as a Level 19 Gothita. She can Calm Mind like a champ, and on top of that a Calm nature effectively making Gothitelle my team's Special tank. With a lot of Calm Mind boosts, she can tank Special-based attacks really well. Plus her design is pretty cool and her cry reminds me of Psycho.

I think she can be awesome when trained well, and with her high Sp. Defense she can use Calm Mind effectively to add to that Special bulk while raising her Sp. Attack at the same time.
    It's not so much that she is underrated, she's just outclassed, mainly by Reuniclus. Apart from that, it's also a matter of personal preference, and Reuniclus just appeals to more people. But yeah as far as viability goes, she's outclassed by Reuniclus.

Years
    • Seen Aug 19, 2012
    *Brick wall* I Like Lucario..... honestly, he's badass. I mean, really, how many Pokemon do you know that can sense people's moods... But for over rated.... Anything that comes from an Eevee is way too over rated. Pikachus are crap Pokemon when push comes to shove. And there are a few fans out there, but as a whole, Bug Pokemon are way way under rated, as are Dratini and Shuppet. I don't know maybe I'm weird, but I think Dragonites are way too over rated, but their pre-evolved forms get no love at all. Oh well. sue me.

Years
    • Seen Oct 20, 2019
    Pikachu - how come this didn't come up yet? o.O - its a pokemascot sure but that dose not mean its good -.- it sucks balls :/
    Duspance - this pokemon if **** of a original jet none uses it T_T

Arma

The Hyena
    Years
  • IMO the most overrated Pokemon are Charizard and Pidgeot.
    Granted Charizard has got fairly nice stats and an awesome movepool, but his typing does cripple him a lot. A 4 times weakness against rock isn't really going to get you anywhere. And even though his offensive capabilities are pretty good, he's far from being a star when it comes down to defense.

Pidgeot is just plain terrible, he's that "awesome bird you got to have on your team or else you suck" Other than speed, his stats are fairly low, plus he doesn't have the moves, nor the type advantage to make up for it. And he doesn't even look that cool

Huggie

Mewtwo lover :3
    Years
  • overrated--> Certainly Lucario (although the design isn't that bad), I ve train it twice from Riolu egg and I have to admit it wasn't as strong as I thought! Also Pikachu..it's..ok it is kinda cute but come on guys, its stats are pathetic...also I find overrated piplup and osawott mostly because of their anime appearance...and I don't like Arceus but that's another story...

Underrated--> Lapras which i train everytime I play the johto region and it is my most reliable pokemon...if noone can win Lapras is always front line..also Scyther beacause I was amazed by its speed and accurasy as well by its attack ...remarkable pokemon..

Years
  • Most Overrated pokemon for me: Are Charizard,Mew,Arceus definetely there others too
    but these three are a must know for every human( except if he's dead, lol)

And Most underated pokemon are Miltank,Clefable,Ledian

Years
  • Most Overrated pokemon for me: Are Charizard,Mew,Arceus definetely there others too
    but these three are a must know for every human( except if he's dead, lol)

And Most underated pokemon are Miltank,Clefable,Ledian

I 100% agree with you on Miltank, I used one on my SoulSilver in-game team and she totally saved me against Lance. I wouldn't have beat Lance if it hadn't have been for my special Miltank, I used Attract on his Pokemon then kept spamming Strength.

Mine turned out with a good nature too, I think mine was Impish.

I absolutely hate Charizard, he's like making people think the other Fire Starters are useless. I don't like Charizard cos he falls easily to Rock-types, which is not good.

Years
    • Seen Mar 30, 2012
    huzabugh

I'd say that any fire starter is overrated. While they may be the strongest at first, they also lag behind in strength later. Well, for me they did at least.

Underrated would have to be Weedle. That bug is so BA it's ridiculous. Poison sting with a leveled up Weedle can only mean massive strength. Plus the evolution of Beedrill? Yea, it has a weakness against fire and flying, but so what? In every other respect is kicks butt.

Chrono

\:D/
    Years
  • Underated pokemon in my mind are like spoink, dewgong, and mantine
    Overated pokemon are like gengar, charizard, tyranitar and like garchomp xP

Last edited:

bewbs

~Chloe~
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Nov 20, 2022
    Most grass pokemon in general are underrated. Bellossom, Vileplume, Liligant, Roserade, Tropius ect.

Magikarp is underrated. It is a complete beast!

Atomic Pirate

I always win.
    Years
  • I'd say that any fire starter is overrated. While they may be the strongest at first, they also lag behind in strength later. Well, for me they did at least.

Underrated would have to be Weedle. That bug is so BA it's ridiculous. Poison sting with a leveled up Weedle can only mean massive strength. Plus the evolution of Beedrill? Yea, it has a weakness against fire and flying, but so what? In every other respect is kicks butt.

I wouldn't say EVERY Fire-type starter is overrated. For instance, barely anyone chose Tepig in B/W.

Again, many deny this, but I'd like to direct attention to Lucario as an extremely overrated Pokemon. I mean, seriously, this thing has it's own fanclub! It's the favorite Pokemon of furries everywhere, and it looks absolutely terrible. If you know me well enough, you know that I don't usually say that certain Pokemon look like Digimon, but Lucario looks more like a Digimon than a Pokemon. Sure, it's decent in battle, but it can easily be felled by instances like this:
    "Excadrill used Earthquake!"
    "Blaziken used Flare Blitz!"

Seriously, Lucario isn't all that good. Get over it.

EGKangaroo

Tail-bumps for all 'roolovers!
    Years
  • I wouldn't say EVERY Fire-type starter is overrated. For instance, barely anyone chose Tepig in B/W.

Again, many deny this, but I'd like to direct attention to Lucario as an extremely overrated Pokemon. I mean, seriously, this thing has it's own fanclub! It's the favorite Pokemon of furries everywhere, and it looks absolutely terrible. If you know me well enough, you know that I don't usually say that certain Pokemon look like Digimon, but Lucario looks more like a Digimon than a Pokemon. Sure, it's decent in battle, but it can easily be felled by instances like this:
    "Excadrill used Earthquake!"
    "Blaziken used Flare Blitz!"

Seriously, Lucario isn't all that good. Get over it.
    Well, I for one happen to like Lucario, but I don't obsess over it. I can definitely understand how people think he's overrated, but really, I didn't even have a clue about that when I got back into pokémon, and pretty much accidentally stumbled upon Lucario and thought he looked pretty bloody awesome. The apparent cult revolving around him, I only found later.

I can indeed safely say, lucario's one of the favourites in the furry fandom, and even if he's gotten so popular a massive hatebase was needed to restore the balance of nature (what?), he still remains a pokémon I like, and there's not much to do about that. But anyway, on that account, Buizel should probably also deserve some mention as overrated because of his popularity among furries.

Atomic Pirate

I always win.
    Years
  • Well, I for one happen to like Lucario, but I don't obsess over it. I can definitely understand how people think he's overrated, but really, I didn't even have a clue about that when I got back into pokémon, and pretty much accidentally stumbled upon Lucario and thought he looked pretty bloody awesome. The apparent cult revolving around him, I only found later.

I can indeed safely say, lucario's one of the favourites in the furry fandom, and even if he's gotten so popular a massive hatebase was needed to restore the balance of nature (what?), he still remains a pokémon I like, and there's not much to do about that. But anyway, on that account, Buizel should probably also deserve some mention as overrated because of his popularity among furries.

One of the reasons that many think that Lucario is overrated is that there are many fans who originally played R/B/Y/G/S/C, and they usually appreciate the more simple designs that actually are based on something. What exactly is Lucario based on? Anubis? Likely not, it's color scheme is much different than that of the famous Egyptian god. It doesn't have a clear origin, which is a bit bothersome to many fans.

Something about Lucario that personally bothers me, besides the obvious anthropomorphic-animal criticism, is it's typing. Sure, it's a good competitive typing, but it doesn't make much sense. Steel-type? STEEL-type? How is this thing a Steel-type, anyway? I remember when this little jackal-dog-cat-fox-Anubis-thing was revealed, me and my friends debated what the type would be. With the whole "aura" concept, many of us thought it was going to be a Psychic/Fighting or Psychic/Dark type.

Personally, I genuinely despise Lucario, and not just because of the fanbase. It looks a bit off to me (I would have liked it if they actually did make it look more like Anubis, I have always been a bit interested in Egyptian mythology), I never really liked it too much in battle, and it has a puzzling type. Steel-type is for armored/mechanical Pokemon, not anthropomorphic jackals with no metallic/robotic features whatsoever.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back