• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Unofficial] ROM Hacks Newsletters 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevin

kevin del rey
    Years
    Rom Hacking Newsletter
    Sunday, August 1st, 2010

Welcome all to my unofficial newsletter! Every Sunday, I will find the current events of the ROM hacking section of PC! This idea just went through my mind, so I hope that you all enjoy it! ^_^ By the way if they're missing stuff then that's because I don't really "read news". LOL. Alright, let's get started, shall we?

Rom Hacking Section
    Alright, what's new in the ROM hacking section? Let's see! First, there is a newsletter by Destiny Demon! It is a newsletter for the ROM hacking section, that shows all the new stuff thats happening here! Also, by Freya, she has made a "Let's Play" of Pokemon Brown! It's a Nuzlocke Challenge! That seems hard! Let's see how far it goes! And, by flipboi, there seems to be a mysterious thread on a so-called Pokemon Ghost version. ChrisTom has explained that it is a Creepypasta. Wow! Go to this post for more info. Anything else? Not much anything new, but stay tuned next week for more info on this section!

Progressing Hacks Section
    A hack that was on hold by me, Destiny Demon, is back! Pokemon Destiny! It's back with new features, storyline, tiles, and more! Go see it here! Very new, I hope you like it! Also, a new hack that is a remake of Johto, Pokemon Mind Crystal has came here also! It has impressive mapping and scripts, and HG/SS inserted sprites! You should check it out! There's also a new hacker out there, with a new hack called Pokemon:Prehistoric Dawn. Very interesting storyline, if you ask me! And then there's Pokemon DarkDiamond, a remake of Sinnoh! Whew, lots of remakes! Check it out! It has some D/P inserted sprites!

Hacks Showcase Section
    Guess what? Coolboyman got pissed off and locked his thread, Pokemon Prism. :< But I don't blame him, lots of spam. BUT, he happily made a new spam-free thread! Check it out! Also, a new hack that went straight to the showcase is Pokemon Palladium! It must be good looking to be accepted there!

Toolbox Section
    The tool Namless Sprite Editor has an lz fuction! Nice, eh? And Gamer2020 has currently erased all his tools, because of a certain reason. =\ It had nice Gen. II tools. But hex editing is fun also, right? xD

Research & Development Section
    Things happening here are slow. But here is always JPAN's hacked engine here! Very nice resource for your hack! And there is useful info if you need help with a hack!

Tutorials Section
    Alright! Some nice tutorials here! I found a nice tutorial on back-spriting/editing here! So if you have trouble, refer to that thread! And I mentioned NSE, right? There's a tutorial on it here! And do you have a glitch in the Pokemon Center? You probably don't have the right map scripts, so refer to it here. It really helped me!

Team Discussions Section
    I see that people need help with hacks, so if you want to help, go there. Mirage Hacking Productions is a really famous team, which I'm in. =P Lots of members mean lots of help. Team Elemental needs some members, I can see. So if you have the time, go there! There's also the Help Recruitment Thread where you can see people who want help, but don't need a team thread yet. Help them out, people!

Conclusion
    Well, what a week! My first newsletter, so I bet next week will have more info and neater stuff. I might look at the newspaper today also! Oh, and by the way, here's an application to be on: Team News! xD
    Code:
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Name:
    Applying for:
    Reason:[/FONT]
    That's it for this week! Next week will definitely have more stuff, and stuff. So have fun reading, the ROM Hacks Newsletters!

Years
    Graphically this is pretty mundane, the content can be gathered just be visited the sections and I can't really see the appeal at all, to be honest. I applaud your effort, but I can't really see the greatness of it.
    In my eyes, it seems like a way to advertise your (not just specifically you, however it does seem that way) hacks.

Oh, and clarification, please - is this a ROM Hacks newsletter or a ROM Hacking newsletter? There's big difference.

Last edited:

hitsu.

♪`ichirin no hana`♫
    Years
    We all have a basic idea of what is going on in each sub-forum. Stuff you said = nothing new.

Binary

え?
    Years
    • Seen Apr 7, 2014
    Oh, and clarification, please - is this a ROM Hacks newsletter or a ROM Hacking newsletter? There's big difference.
    I'm guessing it's a ROM Hacking Newsletter looking at the big bold letters in the beginning and ignoring the thread title ;D

The actual newsletter was awesome back in the days. But, I think you did a pretty good job as a one-man army. But yeah, you'll need staff for this if you want it to be more organized and informative. I might apply, but I don't know for what. Anyways, I think you've done a great job bb (b'')b

negative

Life returns. Life prevails.
    Years
    You know, the idea is nice, but like others said, it's nothing new. You could add interviews of hackers who won HoTM. And a presentation of the hack. That was interesting about the old one. Some tips and tricks about hacking also. This presentation isn't interesting if you say: "Coolboyman got pissed off..." It turns other people off, you know.

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Oct 24, 2022
    I'd like to reiterate what hitsu. said, really. We can all read the sections ourselves; it's not really necessary to have an overview. That said, the appeal of the old RHN (specifically, Thrace's RHN, not Harry's and mine or anyone else's) came from the creativity of it all, from the reviews to the tips & tricks sections, and especially the fact that it itself was new and original. Plenty of other people have tried to pick up the RHN from where Thrace left it off, but none have really gotten seriously far with it. I'm sure if you take it in a direction that goes away from being an overview of the thread to something more plausible and attractive to the readers, you could go somewhere with this.

...also, not every sentence needs to end with an exclamation mark. :/

Kevin

kevin del rey
    Years
    Graphically this is pretty mundane, the content can be gathered just be visited the sections and I can't really see the appeal at all, to be honest. I applaud your effort, but I can't really see the greatness of it.
    In my eyes, it seems like a way to advertise your (not just specifically you, however it does seem that way) hacks.

ROM hacks or ROM hacking? I don't get what you're saying. ROM hacks section I guess? =P Oh and mentioning my hack was only like, a sentence, so I dunno what you mean by that.
    We all have a basic idea of what is going on in each sub-forum. Stuff you said = nothing new.
    ^.^ That's something that is right.
    I'm guessing it's a ROM Hacking Newsletter looking at the big bold letters in the beginning and ignoring the thread title ;D

The actual newsletter was awesome back in the days. But, I think you did a pretty good job as a one-man army. But yeah, you'll need staff for this if you want it to be more organized and informative. I might apply, but I don't know for what. Anyways, I think you've done a great job bb (b'')b
    Thanks. =]
    You know, the idea is nice, but like others said, it's nothing new. You could add interviews of hackers who won HoTM. And a presentation of the hack. That was interesting about the old one. Some tips and tricks about hacking also. This presentation isn't interesting if you say: "Coolboyman got pissed off..." It turns other people off, you know.
    LOL.
    I'd like to reiterate what hitsu. said, really. We can all read the sections ourselves; it's not really necessary to have an overview. That said, the appeal of the old RHN (specifically, Thrace's RHN, not Harry's and mine or anyone else's) came from the creativity of it all, from the reviews to the tips & tricks sections, and especially the fact that it itself was new and original. Plenty of other people have tried to pick up the RHN from where Thrace left it off, but none have really gotten seriously far with it. I'm sure if you take it in a direction that goes away from being an overview of the thread to something more plausible and attractive to the readers, you could go somewhere with this.

...also, not every sentence needs to end with an exclamation mark. :/
    Yeah I don't know why I did that...! =P

Oh and this whole thing was made for the fun of it. It wasn't really meant for an actual newsletter, but just for you to read something if you're bored. ^^ And for me to do something if I'm bored on Sundays. =]

colcolstyles

Yours truly
    Years
    The actual newsletter was awesome back in the days.

So true. Back when Thrace was running the show, I remember I would actually sit at my computer and refresh the Hacks Showcase forum just waiting for the new issue to come out.

As for the rest of my post, I typed out a nice, long explanation of what made the old RHN (link) so memorable only to discover that Vrai had said eerily the exact same thing as I (and with much of the same wording, too). But I'd like to add that if you do decide to take after the old RHN style, well, you might not be the best person for the job. One, you've been at this community for literally a week and I think someone with more experience with both ROM Hacking and the community should be running the RHN; and two, many people have tried to get the RHN back up and running and none of them were able to do it. It takes a lot of time and dedication to run a RHN of high quality. But if you're up to it, go ahead. Give it a shot. Hey, think of it this way: if you can release even one single issue, you're already doing better than a number of the other attempts. :D

Kevin

kevin del rey
    Years
    So true. Back when Thrace was running the show, I remember I would actually sit at my computer and refresh the Hacks Showcase forum just waiting for the new issue to come out.

As for the rest of my post, I typed out a nice, long explanation of what made the old RHN (link) so memorable only to discover that Vrai had said eerily the exact same thing as I (and with much of the same wording, too). But I'd like to add that if you do decide to take after the old RHN style, well, you might not be the best person for the job. One, you've been at this community for literally a week and I think someone with more experience with both ROM Hacking and the community should be running the RHN; and two, many people have tried to get the RHN back up and running and none of them were able to do it. It takes a lot of time and dedication to run a RHN of high quality. But if you're up to it, go ahead. Give it a shot. Hey, think of it this way: if you can release even one single issue, you're already doing better than a number of the other attempts. :D
    NOPE! =] I hate the fact that you think I've been here for a week. Old account = vietazn654 = been since February. Oh and BTW I never seen that before even if I've been here for like, 6 1/2 months. o.o

colcolstyles

Yours truly
    Years
    NOPE! =] I hate the fact that you think I've been here for a week. Old account = vietazn654 = been since February. Oh and BTW I never seen that before even if I've been here for like, 6 1/2 months. o.o

Okay, okay. Calm down. Don't hate me. :D
    February's a little better but when Thrace started the RHN, he had been around for more than a year and had a lot more posts than you do now. Also, if you haven't seen that thread, then you should definitely check it out now if you're planning on doing this. You could learn a thing or two from him and his team.

Kevin

kevin del rey
    Years
    Okay, okay. Calm down. Don't hate me. :D
    February's a little better but when Thrace started the RHN, he had been around for more than a year and had a lot more posts than you do now. Also, if you haven't seen that thread, then you should definitely check it out now if you're planning on doing this. You could learn a thing or two from him and his team.
    LOL I don't hate you, I just hate how you think I;m new. And yeah, I'll check it out.
    Wow, this was totally pointles.
    Nothing interresting.
    WOT
    Sorry to hear that. Maybe I should lock this thread up and when I;m ready I'll repost it. I think I'll do that... =P

NarutoActor

The rocks cry out to me
    Years
    Not to be a hater, but you kept on talking about yourslef, and things you are afiliated with. To run this you can not be rooting for a certin hack, or hack team. Also you need to go more indepth in what new thing is happening. a

Also I will automatically like this if you bring back the tips and tricks. <3

Kevin

kevin del rey
    Years
    Not to be a hater, but you kept on talking about yourslef, and things you are afiliated with. To run this you can not be rooting for a certin hack, or hack team. Also you need to go more indepth in what new thing is happening. a

Also I will automatically like this if you bring back the tips and tricks. <3
    I will because I'm closing this one and starting a better one later on. ^^ And I talked about myself? o.o LOL.

Super Ultra Mega Charizard

not a beginner trainer :P
    Years
    Wow, this was totally pointles.
    Nothing interresting.
    WOT

If you are going to be completely rude then there is no need to post.

most of this was really just you advertising your hack and team :| The old RHN was awesome, and had lot's of different sections. this just says-
    check out my hack!
    coolboyman's pissed off!
    NSE is a good tool!
    NSE has a tutorial!
    Check out the team I'm in!
    kthxbai!
    I think a lot of new features and such would really help this, as well as less advertisement and less ! at the end of every sentence.

Kevin

kevin del rey
    Years
    If you are going to be completely rude then there is no need to post.

most of this was really just you advertising your hack and team :| The old RHN was awesome, and had lot's of different sections. this just says-
    check out my hack!
    coolboyman's pissed off!
    NSE is a good tool!
    NSE has a tutorial!
    Check out the team I'm in!
    kthxbai!
    I think a lot of new features and such would really help this, as well as less advertisement and less ! at the end of every sentence.
    :< My team? What team? Mirage hacking productions? Oh yeah, I'm in that. But it's not like I'm trying to ad it if that's what you mean. But it's not really MY team, I just am in it. But being ontopic;
    I['m creating a new thread. So put all your thoughts on hold, because these things you're saying are about this, and I'm not going to be making one in a while. =P

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back