• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Spinoff/Mobile Unpopular Mystery Dungeon opinions

Years
  • Age 21
  • Seen Nov 29, 2023
Super is just flat out a bad game imo, the story is quite similar to Explorers, the starter and partner options are a bit lackluster, the music is forgetable besides 2 tracks, and it's just a miserable experience. The gameplay itself relys way too much on items, both in battling and when it comes to hunger. I feel the hunger drains too fast compared to RBRT and EoTDS, and to complete certain missions or boss battles you are practically required to bring a bunch of reviver seeds, blast seeds, etc. just to beat them. The strategy is to just bring as many revivers as you can, and sometimes it's still not enough.

Really, the only things I liked from the game were Lively Town and the school's themes (when you visit it after school) along with the connection orb. Speaking of, the orb itself is just whatever since that's how you recruit new members, which isn't as fun as any of the other games in the series. But at the very least, I loved that it references the older games, like having team ACT, Emolga and Dunsparce, team Charm, etc.

Any time I play Super, I just genuinely feel dread and I expect to faint A LOT. It's sad considering the og games are actually my favorite games of all time (RBRT) while Super is my least favorite game of all time. It's a disgrace to the Mystery Dungeon series.

Otherwise, I also want to say that the Explorers games are a bit overrated (especially Sky) and GTI was an amazing game despite it being really easy.

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Apr 27, 2023
I got a new one:

I don't think Rescue Team DX's changes to Friend Areas made them worse. Sure the charm of seeing your Pokémon walk around isn't there, but gameplay wise they are a lot more convenient to go through. Plus they allow you recruit a lot more Pokémon than the originals did.

XVanitasX

Banned
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen May 19, 2023
Rescue Team DX was a mistake and a waste of time and resources. Instead of banking on nostalgia, GF should have given us a new MD game, one that would catch the series up to gen 8, if not gen 9. It's unacceptable that the series pretty much ended with SMD back in 2015.

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
Years
I don't like Pokémon Super Mystery Dungeon. The first 7 chapters take several hours to push through the school lessons. Then, you leave your school friends behind to travel to another village, so all that bonding for nothing. One mission around chapter 8 threw a level 50 Salamence at your level 10s starter/partner. I had to use items to make up for the lack in firepower. There is too much of a reliance of Wand/Looplet items. I am constantly managing my inventory. I can't reliably enter a dungeon without preparing a full disaster preparedness kit. I enjoyed the first Mystery Dungeon game a lot more for its lack of item reliance and also its recruiting mechanic. PSMD only allows you to recruit one species through Connections, so I have to play with the Pokemon I can currently contact instead of with my favorites.

I've only played the originals and PSMD, so I am keen to try Rescue Team DX if it ever goes on sale...

Years
Explorers of Sky had one major flaw: items don't stack in Kangaskhan Storage, a downgrade from Rescue Team.

While the recycling option at Spinda's Cafe is an improvement on having to discard or sell extra items in Time and Darkness, it's still not ideal for item hoarders like myself, especially considering all the items unique to specific evolutionary lines.

I also wish Corphish had a special episode.

FullMetal_Ashheart

The Heart and Soul of Fire
Years
Out of all the games to date, I thought Explorers of Sky and SMD were the better games in terms of story. While I liked Red Rescue Team and Blue Rescue Team, Rescue Team DX was just a weak remaster. And I was real let down with GtI's story as well.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years
Explorers of Sky had one major flaw: items don't stack in Kangaskhan Storage, a downgrade from Rescue Team.

While the recycling option at Spinda's Cafe is an improvement on having to discard or sell extra items in Time and Darkness, it's still not ideal for item hoarders like myself, especially considering all the items unique to specific evolutionary lines.

I also wish Corphish had a special episode.
I honestly wish every guild member that wasn't focused on had their own special episode. Like, Seeing Dugtrio's sea journey. Or something.

Days
Buckle up folks...
  • Mystery Dungeon is better than the main games yes i'm choosing between apples and oranges but i don't care i prefer the Mystery Dungeon style over the main games
  • Mystery Dungeon is not just a kids game just as much as Pokèmon itself is not just a kids game.
  • Rescue Team has its merits for setting up the story and the PMD world if it flopped there would be no new PMD games.
  • i like the different approach in Gates i like how it focused on a group of characters to grow close and focus on and introducing scenarios when starting the day.
  • i also love how Gates handled the (ending and) post-game returning to the Pokèmon world. Playing as your partner like normal for a bit then to get to World Core to wish for you back while risking their own life and breaking the fourth wall only for you to come back and be thanked was absolutely beautiful. i almost cried. Rescue Team and Explorers were just here you go surprise and Super ill explain in a bit.
  • If Explorer's story and soundtrack style was merged with Gates' mechanics and soundtrack style that creation would be the ultimate PMD game. Both Explorers and Gates are at the top of my tierlist.
  • The difficulty drops big time in Gates and Super but i don't have a side on that. Super did make it almost too easy nagging to heal after your turn.
  • Super's humor rubbed me the wrong way the society felt like a bad copy of the guild in Explorers.
  • Super has throwbacks to the later games throwbacks are always good.
  • The tree at Serene Village should have been the Tree of Life.
  • Super also tossed away the bulletin board for the fancy expedition gadget i feel old for wanting the bulletin board still :plead:
  • My big gripe was how certain story events went about that could have been done better. The 'i was Grovyle's partner from the future' part i never saw coming* it left an impact because how that moment was setup and revealed was nailed well. The 'Psych! Munna is the villian!' plus 'sorry we didnt tell you when Dusknoir tricked Grovile offstage in the bonus chapter' and 'sorry we didnt tell you again to tricked you about ending Mew to get your partner back' were all massive let downs. With the right setup it would've had the same impact as Explorers.
(* Well, everyone adoring Dusknoir raised suspicions and when Dusknoir pretended not to know me i knew he was the bad guy, but i didn't know exactly why until the reveal.)

Back