• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Video Games DCC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
I had a PSP before, and for me, it was pretty difficult to hack. If I wasn't enough careful, I probably could've ended up bricking it. xD" Not sure what its model was, though. Maybe 3000?

Razer302

Three Days Grace - Break
Years
I hacked my PSP Pretty much from buying it, I didn't worry much about bricking it as I had done them sort of things before. I did feel bad about it in the end because it had some amazing games on it. Made up for it with the Vita purchase on launch then let down buy sonys terrible support of it.

Nathan

Blade of Justice
Years
And now my PSP serves as secondary PS3 pad for me :D

I don't regret keeping it instead of throwing it away.

Nakala Pri

I heard the blindfolded Punchout was amazing, and sadly, since I didn't get into the event until the last two days, but the ones I watched most closely and from beginning to end were Wind Waker, SM64, and Chrono Trigger.

Chrono Trigger was an interesting case. Not because it was a JRPG of the sort that it was, one where you wouldn't expect it to have as many tricks as it did, but because of how much it managed to do in the time that it had. 1 million was a real stretch, and as it progressed, no one knew if it was possible, but it seemed a lot of people (and I mean A LOT of people, myself included) were waiting for Chrono Trigger, and the donations started to grow. Plus we had such great things as WONDERSHOT, Robo and the Son of the Sun, and the ending (oh, that ending). It was a really exciting run, and it was that excitement, both from the gameplay and from the 1 million hype, that has me looking forward to SGDQ. I'll be sure to look through the archives.

Well I think there's a difference between simply playing and getting the first ending (which is quick) and speedrunning by meeting the same goal. It's one of those short things that you have to employ speedrunning tricks (such as skipping the Lucca event, naming Crono "!", and manipulating the game seed) to get the fastest time, rather than simply going fast.

Spino basically described the franchise. ShinMegaTen is like Pokemon (and it actually preceded Pokemon). Now, there are a number of spin-offs for Shin Megami Tensei, each of which plays differently, has a different story structure, and a different tone. There are the Dungeon Crawlers, which includes the main series (SMT, SMT2, SMT3: Nocturne, and SMT4), The Persona series (Persona, Persona 2:Eternal Punishment and Innocent Sin, Persona 3, and Persona 4), Digital Devil Saga, Devil Children, and Devil Summoner. Knowing you, Persona 3 and 4 would probably be most up your alley. While these two games don't involve talking to Pokemon, they are considered not only the best in the SMT series but also two of the best RPGs (or just games) ever made. I could explain it to you, but it might be easier just to read this.

Don't expect a story on par with Pokemon, though. SMT takes itself and it's character based stories very seriously. It's as gruesome as it needs to be when it needs to be, it's as heartfelt as it needs to be when it needs to be, and it's as difficult as it needs to be when it needs to be. The Persona games and the Devil Children games are lighter in tone than pretty much any of the other subsets, but this by no means makes their stories worse. Persona carries incredibly strong characters and, in Persona 3 and 4, where a good portion of the games are actually played outside of combat where you basically just live life and strengthen your bonds with other people (something that these games do very well). They're still serious, with Persona 3 having a pretty dark story and Persona 4 tugging at heartstrings and using the time you spent with the characters to its advantage. They're just worth playing, check 'em out.

Thanks! ^^ I'll definitely check it out! C:

I've heard really good/bad things about it but hey, most of them are either over-exaggerating or just rambling. xD Thanks, tho! ^^

TY

If I wasn't too scared of playing overly complex turn-based RPGs, I would've played SMT games and its spin-off by now.

Also guys, we've got a very serious problem here: http://playeressence.com/us-court-strikes-down-net-neutrality-could-lead-to-paying-for-online-games/

This could mean the end of online games as we know it.

As far as i've read it, this would only apply to Xbox and Playstation, but in some cases you already had to pay to play online for both consoles (EA and its stupid Online Passes) >_>

Years
  • Age 16
  • Seen May 28, 2019
If I wasn't too scared of playing overly complex turn-based RPGs, I would've played SMT games and its spin-off by now.
It's really not complex at all. The turn-based mechanics is fairly easy to understand and use.

The hard thing about SMT is that they throw you into the game without any explanations. Wanna find this demon's weakness? It's all on your own. In a sense, the series is heavy trial and error, but hear me out. Playing your first SMT will mean you'll lose a lot of your first special battles, so you can find their weakness and strengths to get the right demons the next time. (it's not like Pokemon where you stick with your demon you like, that's suicide). That is, until you realize that buffs and debuffs make every difference, then you can win any battle unprepared as long as you have all buffs and debuffs.

Persona is an exception. Some things apply, but it's pretty easy. Thing is, even if it's Persona (if you know the importance of fusing and buffs/debuffs), once you play one SMT, you're ready for all of them. Instead of being overwhelmingly hard, it's an addictive challenge. Best thing about SMT is that you barely need to grind at all, since you'll be constantly fusing every time anyway, and your main character gets a lot of EXP anyway.

Years
What about the other way around? I've played couple of Persona games and not a lot of SMT. Would it be a big jump on difficulty? I am quite familiar with Persona gameplay even though I haven't played it in a while.

Years
  • Age 16
  • Seen May 28, 2019
What about the other way around? I've played couple of Persona games and not a lot of SMT. Would it be a big jump on difficulty? I am quite familiar with Persona gameplay even though I haven't played it in a while.
I started with Persona and had no problem with Nocturne.

Though, to be completely honest, I watched a lot of videos of bosses to get an idea on the game (had no intention of buying), which are the hardest part of the game, but I knew how to beat some of them because of that by the time I decided to buy the game. I also used a guide for fusing and getting certain skills for the main character so there's that. lol Don't think I used a walkthrough for anything else though.

I also had the overpowered Daisoujou pretty early, unintentionally.

TY

Spoiler:

Appearantly Blizzard thinks i can read Korean...

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
Years
Satoru Iwata came to public to report that Nintendo won't meet their goals for the Wii U by a huge amount.

This is terrible news since everyone expected the Wii U to start recovering after SM3D World was released, but it seems there's no way to save the console...

Also, I can't help but feel like people WANT Nintendo to fail. Just so they don't have to buy two consoles in case they're a Nintendo fan but still want to experience games like Assassin's Creed and Call of Duty.

Truth be told, the Wii U is a pretty poor venture into the world of hardcore gaming if we consider the hardware is very far behind that of the PS4 and XOne.

Nathan

Blade of Justice
Years
They're supposed to have a deficit of around 171 millions of dollars. Probably due to the fact that the Wii U isn't having a great time so far.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
Satoru Iwata came to public to report that Nintendo won't meet their goals for the Wii U by a huge amount.

This is terrible news since everyone expected the Wii U to start recovering after SM3D World was released, but it seems there's no way to save the console...

Also, I can't help but feel like people WANT Nintendo to fail. Just so they don't have to buy two consoles in case they're a Nintendo fan but still want to experience games like Assassin's Creed and Call of Duty.

Truth be told, the Wii U is a pretty poor venture into the world of hardcore gaming if we consider the hardware is very far behind that of the PS4 and XOne.
Actually, there are still companies who believe in the Wii U: http://playeressence.com/game-studio-nyamyam-comments-on-the-wii-us-situation/

Even David Jeffe is defending the console and Iwata's decision. Besides, Nintendo still has a lot of money in their bank, so they aren't going down so easily, and from I've heard, Microsoft and Sony are bleeding money.

Nathan

Blade of Justice
Years
Actually, there are still companies who believe in the Wii U: http://playeressence.com/game-studio-nyamyam-comments-on-the-wii-us-situation/

Even David Jeffe is defending the console and Iwata's decision. Besides, Nintendo still has a lot of money in their bank, so they aren't going down so easily, and from I've heard, Microsoft and Sony are bleeding money.

I read that for the fiscal year of 2014 or something like this, that lasts 3 months, the Wii U has not had a game that reached a million of copies sold. Probably due to Nintendo not wanting to port X/Y on it or any of the 3DS' big games.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
I read that for the fiscal year of 2014 or something like this, that lasts 3 months, the Wii U has not had a game that reached a million of copies sold. Probably due to Nintendo not wanting to port X/Y on it or any of the 3DS' big games.
Porting a main Pokémon game into a console is a bad idea, because then it wouldn't be called Pocket Monsters, and there will be no version exclusives. And who says the handheld market can't save Nintendo? It's pretty much dominating the sales charts. Also for your information, New Super Mario Bros. U actually reached a million of copies sold: http://playeressence.com/ninja-houn...illion-in-japan-ff-xx-2-facing-supply-issues/

As you've probably don't know, it takes time for Nintendo titles to reach the sales charts for years to come until the next system, rather than staying on top for only a few weeks like other AAA titles. Let's not forget those digital sales.

Last edited:

Yukari

Nintendo makes most of their money off of the 3DS, It a giant in the gaming world. But honestly the Wii u is really, really, inferior to the Xbox one and the Playstation 4. With the Wii u you get all those awesome Nintendo games like: Super Mario Bros. The Legend of Zelda, ect. But the Playstation 4 and Xbox one are more popular and are the cutting edge technologically. But as long as Nintendo has the 3DS they're going to continue to dominating handheld gaming.

Nathan

Blade of Justice
Years
Though Nintendo makes most of their money off of the 3DS

That's exactly the Wii U's problem. When people buy a 3DS, you almost no longer have the reason to get a Wii U unless for some extra games. That's why I'd like more third-party games on the U.

Also I understand what you said Pinkie. Looks like I got a bad info, my bad. ^^

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
Sabotaging the 3DS in favor of getting the Wii U to sell is not a very good solution. Besides, they've tried letting 3rd parties to sell the console for them during its launch date, and that's what got the Wii U into this situation in the first place. So now Nintendo has to get it going by themselves once again by pumping out quality 1st party titles that are carefully crafted.

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
Years
Well first-party saved Nintendo's ass in N64 and Gamecube days, it might save them this time too.

But I can't help but feel this is Sega debacle all over again. The Saturn was largely inferior to the PS1 and the N64 and was discontinued early to make room for the Dreamcast. The Dreamcast was more powerful than the N64, but was released way too near the launch of the then next-gen consoles. It's considered the same gen as the PS2 but IMO it's actually in a limbo since, when it was launched, Nintendo and Sony were still releasing big games for the N64 and PS1, so the Dreamcast was effectively a competitor to a generation that preceded it. Shortly after, Sony came up with the PS2, which was in all respects a better console, and that was the end of the Dreamcast.

Should Nintendo try to stall the market pushing the Wii U as far as possible, or should they risk another Dreamcast debacle by releasing another platform which might be outdated shortly after it comes out? I'd say the former, but console generations are lasting longer than before and I'm not sure the Wii U can hold on much further.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
Well first-party saved Nintendo's ass in N64 and Gamecube days, it might save them this time too.

But I can't help but feel this is Sega debacle all over again. The Saturn was largely inferior to the PS1 and the N64 and was discontinued early to make room for the Dreamcast. The Dreamcast was more powerful than the N64, but was released way too near the launch of the then next-gen consoles. It's considered the same gen as the PS2 but IMO it's actually in a limbo since, when it was launched, Nintendo and Sony were still releasing big games for the N64 and PS1, so the Dreamcast was effectively a competitor to a generation that preceded it. Shortly after, Sony came up with the PS2, which was in all respects a better console, and that was the end of the Dreamcast.

Should Nintendo try to stall the market pushing the Wii U as far as possible, or should they risk another Dreamcast debacle by releasing another platform which might be outdated shortly after it comes out? I'd say the former, but console generations are lasting longer than before and I'm not sure the Wii U can hold on much further.
If you think Nintendo should follow the same way as Microsoft and Sony in order to survive and not take the SEGA debacle, then you are sadly mistaken: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=M4LwNOL0jf4

Nintendo has a philosophy of not following the bandwagon by every other company and do their own thing. Besides, a lot of gamers aren't fond with Xbone nor the PS4 because of the sloppy third-party titles, first-party titles not meeting critical expectations (ex: Knack), hardware problems, and the recent shot down of net neutrality.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back