• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Video Games or Merchandise?

Merchandise vs Video Games

• Video Games

Votes: 16 94.1%
  • Merchandise

Votes: 1 5.9%

• Total voters
Years
  • Just wondering from other Pokéfans, whether you think the Pokémon franchise makes more money from their video games or their merchandise?

This is for a school assignment, so if you could please give a reason for you answer. Thankyou!

Last edited:

ShinyMeowth

Gone forever
    Years
  • The games, definitely. In this wikipedia article, you can see they have sold over 113.7 million copies total. The usual price when they are released is 45.95 euros, which makes ~5.22 billion euros from the games. While I do not have sales figures to back me up, I can assure you that pokemon merchandise is not near widespread enough to exceed that.

Kenshin5

Wanderer
    Years
  • With Main Series, Spinoffs like Colosseum, XD, Battle Revolution, Rangers, Puzzle, Pinball, Mystery Dungeon, Other they make more money through those then other outlets like TCG, Manga, Anime, Toys, etc. So I would say the games are the face of the franchise by far.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 28, 2019
    The video game is much popular. I see plenty people of playing the games, but hardly anyone watches it anymore. I'm guessing the anime isn't under merchandise?

Kenshin5

Wanderer
    Years
  • I assume anything purchased that is not the video games. Which includes Anime since you can buy it on DVD.

Rai

Quarter Life Crisis! @.@
    Years
  • The games definitely. They make A LOT of money off merchandise from me though. I have an entire collection of pokemon plushies and it keeps growing and growing x3

Years
  • The Video Games is where the most royalties (money) come from.

It's why Pokemon is still going today after 15 years.

Years
  • Thanks everyone! My understanding is that merchandise counts as anything other than the video games, including the anime and related movies and the TCG, to name a few.

Last edited:

Sora's Nobody

The Official Roxas
    Years
  • The games, definitely. In this wikipedia article, you can see they have sold over 113.7 million copies total. The usual price when they are released is 45.95 euros, which makes ~5.22 billion euros from the games. While I do not have sales figures to back me up, I can assure you that pokemon merchandise is not near widespread enough to exceed that.
    Dont forget that the 45€ or whatever i dont care, Go to the sellers, aka gamestop ect.. Gamestop buys the games from nintendo at a certain price.
    So they probably only earn half of what the game is worth.

ShinyMeowth

Gone forever
    Years
  • Dont forget that the 45€ or whatever i dont care, Go to the sellers, aka gamestop ect.. Gamestop buys the games from nintendo at a certain price.
    So they probably only earn half of what the game is worth.
    Even that way, 2.61 billion euros is quite a lot, don't you agree?

Years
  • Video games, they're so addictive and really unlike anything else on the market, there's a reason they've lasted this long :) Also, they have a huge replay-ability factor, so they last a long time and are worth every penny you pay for them :)

RivalGator

I hate them all.
    Years
  • Video games because not only do people usually want to collect one of each in each generation, they usually will go for all three versions (here's to saying there is a third, sometimes there is not.) But most people will usually buy three of them if they are real collectors. I bought R/B/Y, G/S/C, R/S/E, D/P(But not Pearl, sadly), HG/SS and Black. I think the games make a huge impact on reeling in the money, because they are worth the money and fun and there are always endless things to do and endless ways to add on. The games keep expanding every time, how could you really break the habit?

Back