• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Life] =^w^= The Litter Box =^w^= (a cat lovers club)

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Feb 9, 2024
I know for some cats getting into something just isn't their cup of cat nip...lol. I have 2 cats one loves to be under the covers the other thinks he's gonna die. He's just a weirdo like that. Mine would rather be on stuff then in stuff...unless it's a box.

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Feb 9, 2024
Time for a photo dump and there will be quite a few but I'll hide them. It's actually going to be Missy's birthday on Halloween, old lady will be 12. She was a kitten when I found her. Zorro's birthday will be on the 9th of November and he'll be 8.

Missy:
Spoiler:

Zorro:
Spoiler:

Better Together...maybe:
Spoiler:

Years
The cat photo share made my day! Caite has such a beautiful furry family. Zorro's coloration reminds me a bit of my cat Ward, who I have called my Munchlax here previously. He's about the color gray as Zorro, with the big white rough too and white paws that look like he's wearing socks. My boy has longer hair though, more medium to long length and green eyes. They could pass for siblings though. Missy looks perfect for Halloween being this cool black cat, and looks like she's practicing already bearing her vampire fangs. Maybe Missy could be a cousin of Salem, the outdoor cat who has befriended our family. He's a black cat too with little patches of white under his chest. I loved these photos, thank you!

Gotta return some fun. This is a nice video tribute that came out a year or two ago about Grumpy Cat, a sort of biography, that includes some interesting facts you may not know about this famous cat.

I also have a question to cat lovers.

Who are some of your favorite fictional cats?

I have always been crazy about Studio Ghibli cats. Love the movie The Cat Returns and would name the sophisticated Baron from The Cat Returns and Whispers of the heart as my favorite character from Studio Ghibli. I also am crazy about the surreal Cat Bus from My Neighbor Totoro, and one day I will get myself either a pillow or a plush of this cat. I have seen some nice ones at Crunchyroll that I eventually should treat myself to.

Other favs include the devilish Rucifee/Lucifer from Walt Disney's Cinderella. I named my cat Ward in tribute to Rucifee's animator Ward Kimball, who drew lots of other great Disney cats. Salem the loveable, wisecracking cat from Sabrina the Teenage Witch obviously also wiggled his way into my heart.

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Feb 9, 2024
Missy was able to get all the attention and I made sure to take a handful of pictures of the birthday girl having fun in her kitty weed and toys.

I would say my favorite fictional cat would have to be Figaro from Pinocchio. He's got that sass like Missy does.

Years
Oh, I forgot about Figaro from Pinnochio, he's a cute one too!

Incidentally, does anybody have any tips to keep cats from scratching on furniture? I try to keep scratching posts in different rooms of the house so that there's always a nearby place that my Ward cat can use to sharpen his claws, reducing any temptation to go put mark the furniture. He even has a whole indoor cat tree house with multiple scratching mats and posts to sink his claws into. Usually he does use these outlets, but from time to time his eye does wander towards the household furniture and he will give it a scratch.

When I catch him putting his claws in some fabric, I tell him no, gently remove his paw, and usually he gets down, and he hasn't done significant damage so far. My mom has some remarkably sturdy woolen carpets all over the house, and his claws cannot undo their weave. We have some chairs and couches though that are more vulnerable. I recently bought some nice cherry wood chairs for dining room, and they have a gold and earth tone brocade fabric on the chair backs that might cat has gone crazy over. I just installed them Friday and found him scratching one of them three different times. I got him off it each time, but the back is already got pucker marks on it. A few more scratches and the stuffing will probably going to be coming out. So I need a quick solution or my furniture will perish.

I have heard that there are certain scents you can use in like orange peel or rosemary, lavender that you can spray on things that you want to stay off-limits to cats, and they won't want to interact with the item, but my cat is the odd one out. He loves scents as much as people do, or more, and has turned over vases of flowers and bowls of fresh picked herbs trying to rub his face against the foliage and inhale. So I am wary that thid might worsen the problem.

I read about cat mittens, booties and socks that some people put on their pets to keep them from scratching things, but I like this idea even less, that sounds uncomfortable and too restrictive because scratching is still natural behavior for cats, and I don't want mine to never be able to be a cat, I just want to have designate safe zones for him to scratch. So not this option for our home definitely.

I thought of covering the furniture with plastic so he can't hurt it, and I think this might be the best way to go, but my mom is complaining that it makes "everything look bad" and that then that it's not comfortable. I think it will be more uncomfortable and look far worse however to have furniture ripped to shreds.

Before coating everything that's delicate in plastic I have ordered some new scratching posts to try again with, hoping that maybe that the novelty of the new chairs is part of what has stimulated his interest, and if something different and more kitty-friendly comes along then he will move onto that next thing, and forget about my stuff This one is part scratch mat, and part toy, where it's got a box compartment with balls inside that he can reach in and try to get. It's also supposed to have catnip in it. So I hope he will like it. I'm going to try putting it directly in front of the chairs, so that maybe he'll be more interested in this than my furniture going forward.

This is a Hail Mary play though, so if anyone has other ideas I would be glad to hear some more suggestions, or stories about your personal experiences.

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Feb 9, 2024
I've used like a bitter spray you can get from the pet store and sprayed them on plants. You can get like a plastic film to stick to your furniture like tape. Issue with mine is he lives to chew on anything plastic.

Years
We keep our plants on a stand the cats can't reach. We keep mostly cacti so they aren't interested anyway.
Any tips on helping a cat adjust to a new home? Smokey is not doing well.

Years

Just sharing the most adorable video of a pair of cats snuggling together.

Here's a bonus of another cat duo, posting it just cuz I can to spread some love.

I also want to give my best to Maera and their cat Smokey. How is the housing issue going? A new house and different furnishings is what ultimately worked for my situation. Cats are sensitive life forms, and things like different shapes, sizes, textures and colors can affect their experience. In Salem's case he was more comfortable in a smaller cat house than a bigger one, and likes it when the doorway to the space is wide and very open rather than narrow or ajar, veiled etc, even though it isn't as practical for keeping out the elements, I think it's more approachable to him.

Years
Help us. My cat has recently started yowling in the late hours of the night and we hours of the morning before dawn. I want to stress that it's not his typical meow that I have come to expect briefly when he wants a snack in the middle of the night, no soft murmor, these are long, piercing drawn-out howls that go on for hours, and I can't figure out the cause of it. Nothing I can do seems to calm him down.

It doesn't appear to be food-related, which is usually what he vocalizes for. He will have plenty of food in his bowl left to eat during these late night belting sessions. He might even start eating, and yowl with a bite of food still in his mouth, and go back to eating.

considered that maybe he yowls for attention, but petting doesn't seem to be enough. He comes up on the bed with me, and I comb his fur and rub his ear, but he usually look at me for moment and then continue yowling.

I'm try to think of what I can do for my feline friend, and work out what he is trying to tell me.

His litter box is scooped with fresh litter-- i know that some cats might try to communicate with you if the space is not clean enough, but again, this doesn't seem to be the case. Incidentally, last night he used the litter box, and yowled while he sat inside of the enclosure.

My mom mentioned that spring is on the way, and maybe he's calling out to find a mate. I adopted a neutered cat though, so I would be a little surprised if this was what was happening. Also he hasn't done this in the years before now, and why just at night if he is caterwauling for a female? I would think he might do so on the day as well. For some reason this appears limited to the times when it's darkest just before dawn.

I have tried googling other possible causes of the problem. I read that sometimes older cats experience cognitive decline just like human beings who might experience an episode of dementia, and that sometimes when a cat experiences disorientation that might start calling out to you in the middle of the night, because they don't know where they are. My cat I don't think is old enough to be suffering from something like this though, he's maturing yes, but under 10 years old. This was an issue usually discussed in the context of cats between ages 11-15. Also he doesn't act like he is lost.

Another possible causes I came across was plain boredom, since this is a time where a cat normally would hunt in the wild. He's an indoor cat though, not an outdoor one, so if he is feeling restless then I'll need to find a way of helping to enjoy himself in here, rather than putting him outside to roam around, especially with the weather being so cold right now. I don't think letting him outdoors would be a good option.

I try to remember to play with him during the day, and use toys like the cat fishing pole and the laser light so that maybe he will be tired out and want to sleep at night. I also will open doors for him to different rooms of the house so he can spread out, and look out windows, get to scratching posts and find distractions. There might be more that I need to do though.

I read that cats sometimes get antsy due to stress and changes in the environment. This could cause him to yowl too. This weekend there was some electrical work being done in the house and kitchen repairs, faucet installation, so my cat heard drilling sounds, hammering, and things that he probably wouldn't like, and was hiding under the bed during those hours. It's over now though, and he seemed to be okay for the rest of the day as soon as the contractor left, and was curling up beside me sleeping. I don't know why suddenly in the middle of the night this would make him start panicking.

In any case, all ideas, advice and suggestions are welcome here. My cat has been screeching like this at night for the whole weekend, and while luckily these are days off for me, I am sleep-deprived and want it to stop for my sake, and my cat who is obviously upset by something.

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Feb 9, 2024
Mine was doing something similar about a month or so ago, It would be like 5-7 in the morning and he just wouldn't shut up. He'd walk up and down the hall meowing and going on and on. My other cat would be in bed with me and giving me that look like Mom can you make him shut up. I would get up and play with him and by the time the sun would come up he'd be fine. This went on for at least two weeks and then he stopped. He's been fixed and is 8. He can be kinda skiddish but other than that he's fine. If worse comes to worst could always make an appointment with the vet and make sure nothing is wrong.

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen today
Years ago we had a mainecoon.

Spoiler:

She was very eccentric. Wanted nothing to do with other animals, was only happy outside and did not work as an indoor cat. She was constantly "gifting" dead critters (gross in retrospect, but that's cats for you).

She had a nice long life. Around 14 years old at her time of passing. We never had another mainecoon. She was adopted from my family at a party when I was 3 years old. Definitely part of my childhood.

Years
Zeostar's nostalgic mainecoon story brought a huge smile to my face. I'm glad that this big, fun and beautiful creature had a nice long life, and was a bright spot of yours.

I decided to post in the cat club today because I had this silly song stuck in my head, and thought that I would share in the cat club. This fan video got a chuckle out of me. It's called Bohemian Catsody. I think the lyric choices make just the right rhymes for a Bohemian Rhapsody parody, and like how they made the cats in the picture look like they're posing for the Queen II album cover, and the moving mouths are pretty cute. As somebody with a cat, almost everything in this song rang true as something a cat would do, clearly written by someone who has or had cats.

Can anybody else relate to some of the things in the video?

A box half my size fits me...

Years
This month I added a new cat theme doll to my pullip collection. Since Cherrim said that fictional cats, games like neko atsume and different sorts of creative content are fair game to discuss, I thought I would show off a picture of Nanachan, calico version. She was released by Groove in early spring of this year.

The reason she is called Calico version is because there was previously another Nanachan released in 2014, and she is white and silver cat, but they have released a new version that's the stunning calcico cat pattern above.

Here is the original Nanachan

I am naming my doll Eartha after the singer, dancer, actress and sex symbol Eartha Kitt who played Catwoman on th Batman tv show back in the day. She was a really cool trailblazer, she was against war, helped rebuild poor communities by developing outreach programs for young people, and also advocated for lgbt rights.

Back