• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Life] =^w^= The Litter Box =^w^= (a cat lovers club)

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
Years
  • I wish Chewy existed in Canada. :( I've always heard such good things about it, but it's US-only. We only JUST got online shipping from PetSmart (its parent company) here in the latter half of last year, so I don't think it's likely to happen.

@Janna: have you looked into flea collars? I don't know how long they last or if they're even viable (I usually only see the terrible brands when I'm walking through, like, grocery stores) but if more respectable companies make them, I imagine they'd either last longer than the drops or at least be easier to deal with once a month. Jude also runs as soon as he sees me take out the Advantage and then sulks away from me for 24h after I administer it each month so I understand your pain, lol.

Years
  • Yeah I have this one bookmarked but still dk since I dunno if the cats will just get it off. My older cat is at least more used to collars since she wore hers for years (but hasn't worn one in the last year or so since she transitioned to entirely indoors), but the younger one probably would scratch at it for a while lmao. And 9% of reviews being 1-star kind of concerns me. Still, will think about it!!

Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2024
    Spoiler:

Missy helping Mommy reply to posts on PC. xD

Years
  • It's late at night/early morning and I am growing suspicious that my cat is hunting a mouse. I'm really scared of mice T_T

My cat meowed a little while ago. That in itself isn't an uncommon occurrence for him at night, in fact it happens almost every single night. He often wants a midnight snack and meows to wake me up to feed him. At first, I did not cross my mind that he might be meowing about something else because it's so routine, and so I rolled out of bed to feed the cat like normally. Usually when he wants food he keeps meowing incessantly until he gets it, and when I get up to get him something to eat he leisurely comes towards me, and rubs against my leg, as if to say, "Thanks. Now that wasn't so hard, was it?"

But this time when I got up he seemed to have no interest in eating when I moved to get the food. He didn't come to me, he simply stayed crouched down in the corner of the room staring intently at a floor vent and the area beside it which has a few inches of space behind my bed. He even took his paw and reached out at the wall, sticking his head behind my bookshelf, as if he sensed and was looking for something I couldn't see, and trying to grab it. He didn't meow anymore, just the one short meow that I now think was a sign that something got his attention.

Shortly thereafter my cat went into the living room, and perched in front of the air vent, and a space behind the sideboard. He didn't pay me much mind, just silently sat there, sometimes touching the wall with his paw.

I really hope it's not mice, but that behavior I can't help but take note of. Please let me be wrong. I don't want to find a dead rodent in the hallway tomorrow.

*Shrieks and jumps up on top of a chair*

Has anyone ever seen there car display similar behavior to what I just described, and was it connected a pest problem? Right now I am literally jumping at the sight of my own shadow, and am hiding under my blanket, worrying about creepy crawlies coming to get me.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2024
    Missy oddly likes to play with bugs and she is the biggest priss I know. Bailey a cat we had when we still lived in the house was Mr. Hunter and would catch anything and everything. When I was younger we had a bat problem in the house to the point where we got use to it because at the time we couldn't figure out where they were coming from. He also caught a few mice all while Ms. Priss Missy would be sitting off to the side looking at me with that look on her face like "Don't expect me to touch that. I'm not getting MY paws dirty." Now we have Zorro (Zo Zo) and while he is extremely loveable he is the biggest pansy I know when its comes to cats...lol.

Years
  • hopefully it's just bugs or him acting curious! I completely understand you, I'm terrified of mice too, even the tiniest ones. :( back when my senior kitty was younger and she still went outside, she brought a mouse upstairs and released it from her mouth in our kitchen/living room. gosh I was so scared and remember shrieking haha

Years
  • That sounds terrifying when your cat brought home a mouse in her younger days. I would have reacted like this Jana had I been there.

=^w^= The Litter Box =^w^= (a cat lovers club)

I had forgotten about this, but what had happened was indeed by kitty had found am insect in the vent and was playing with it. So I survived.

Incidentally, this is a cute explanation I stumbled upon for why cats may knead. What do you pet lovers think?

https://getpocket.com/explore/item/why-cats-knead-according-to-science?utm_source=pocket-newtab

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    Anyone have any advice they can give when it comes to a lost cat? :(

Ophelia ran away -- it's been close to 48 hours.

Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2024
    I've always heard putting their litter box out or something of their's that has their scent on it. Could try putting food out but you risk the other wildlife eating it.

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    We got her back!!! We had two areas of "capture" set up, one in her last seen location (which included a humane trap) near the property line and one in the garage. We put out her litter box, food, water, and a blanket that smells like her (and the house) in both. We found evidence of her in the garage, so we quickly closed the door and waited. Next we got a pitiful meow and eventually caught sight of her!

We're giving her some space to come out on her own now. She's safe in the garage and can only escape into the house so we're going at her pace. I'm sure in the morning she'll be back on the kitchen table begging for nuggets and acting like a diva. (´▽`ʃƪ)♡

Thanks everyone for your advice, concern, and well wishes!!

Last edited:

Cherrim

Years
  • Oh, thank goodness! ;_; I can only imagine how scary that must have been.

Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2024
    The hell with a like button....where's a love button when you need one...lol. Soooo...so glad she finally came back. Such an awesome thing to wake up to. Now she'll act like she did absolutely nothing...lol.

Years
  • Does anyone know where I could order a large bag of Wild Frontier indoor adult dry cat food? This is what I have been feeding my cat for awhile.

I usually have it auto shipped from Amazon, but I got a message from them that they were sold out, and it wouldn't arrive on schedule. They had no date for when/if they would be restocked with that formula. They only had dry food for kittens, not an adult cat. They offered some different brands as substitutions of cat food, but my cat is on a diet, and I don't want to alter his formula. He also is very much a creature of habbit. It took me awhile to find a cat food that was relatively healthy and he was also willing to eat, so I don't want to make a sudden change after all that searching and work.

I searched Chewy also for an 11 pound bag Wild Frontier Adult Indoor Chicken for cats but they also were out of stock.

Has this brand been recalled? I'm still trying to come up with places to look for it, and hitting a wall. I guess I could try PetSmart next. I don't believe I looked there yet...

I tried PetSmart, and while they do list this brand on their website, you have to do an in store pick-up with them, instead of a delivery to your address. I wouldn't mind doing that if it was in stock at a branch near me, but the local PetSmart says that they don't have it. The closest branch that carries it is in a city 80 miles away. So this won't work either.

I'm stumped.

Last edited:

Cherrim

Years
  • I tried PetSmart, and while they do list this brand on their website, you have to do an in store pick-up with them, instead of a delivery to your address. I wouldn't mind doing that if it was in stock at a branch near me, but the local PetSmart says that they don't have it. The closest branch that carries it is in a city 80 miles away. So this won't work either.

I'm stumped.
    Is it possible to call your local store and ask when they expect their next shipment? They might be able to swing a shipment from another nearby-ish store to yours or could at least tell you when it will next be in stock. Chewy and Petsmart are the same parent company, though, and if they and Amazon are having issues, it seems likely that there was a larger problem somewhere along the supply chain. You could also maybe get in touch with the food producer/manufacturer themselves and ask for a list of retailers in your area. Maybe there are more unknown stores that have more stock.

Years
  • Is it possible to call your local store and ask when they expect their next shipment? They might be able to swing a shipment from another nearby-ish store to yours or could at least tell you when it will next be in stock. Chewy and Petsmart are the same parent company, though, and if they and Amazon are having issues, it seems likely that there was a larger problem somewhere along the supply chain. You could also maybe get in touch with the food producer/manufacturer themselves and ask for a list of retailers in your area. Maybe there are more unknown stores that have more stock.

You are right about about a larger problem somewhere along the supply chain. After my last post I ordered online with a venue I hadn't tried before Pets Warehouse, and thought everything would be fine, but a few hours later that evening I got an automated email, telling me that my order status had changed, and that there were issues with manufacturer, without saying what they were. I was informed that it would be another 3-15 days until the inventory of Wild Frontier arrived at their warehouse, not including the time to process, ship and deliver it to me.

It has been a mess. Now, it has since come to my attention that Amazon is going to get some more Wild Frontier back in stock on the 23rd of this month, so I have already ordered that, figuring I have enough left to last the week until they can get the fresh stock to me. I wish it was indoor for my fleshy kitty, it's just the regular salmon, but I can probably adjust the serving size to make due with. At least it's the right brand, and an adult formula, yesterday all I could find was the one for kittens. Hopefully by the time he finishes that bag whatever issues are going on with the supplier will have worked themselves out.

Thank you for your help and advice though. All of those tips you gave me are good things to know for the future.

Cherrim

Years
  • >< It's such a shame it happened for food you're hesitant to change for diet reasons. At least if it had been something else maybe you could ease into something else for a bit. Hopefully your kitty weathered the food shortage okay!

I'm real lucky Jude seems to have an iron stomach. @_@ He eats all kinds of weird things but basically never has a problem with any of it. We tried to do the "slowly transition over to new food" thing when he was little but he would like,,,,,,,,,,, chew through his bags of food and eat a bunch of the new stuff and not get sick so... we stopped bothering. He also doesn't really care about changing litter types or... even changing houses lmao. Adaptable boy!

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    Ah, Jude sounds like such a prince! You're lucky, my cats are.. very persnickety! They will eat new food when we slowly transition but for some reason water is like.. the big thing in my house, lmao. I keep three water bowls (and one cup) all at different heights in around the same area and they will just sit at one randomly, regardless of whether it's full or not, and meow like they're DYING. So I'll get up and change the water cause idk maybe they can sense something in it?? Or there's dust or something?? But if I use tap water, they won't drink it -- if I use bottled water, they won't drink it. They will ONLY drink filtered water from a Brita system.

It's like they pretend the water is contaminated just to watch me get up and slave over them, haha.

Years
  • My cat has barely been eating/drinking the last month or so, and has had no energy at all. Took her to the vet on friday and it seems like her white blood cell count is very high which could be an indication of either an infection or cancer. She dropped around 40% of her weight. Got antibiotics which I've been giving her every day. keep her in your thoughts please... at the rate she's going I fear she won't make it through the summer, but it's too early to tell or give up yet :( Hopefully the pills work. she's not that old either, only around 10 or so. My poor sweet girl.

Years
  • My issue seems much more trivial now after reading about Jana's hardship with her beautiful cat. Sending good vibes your way.

I came here today because of food drama. My boy had been eatting Wild Frontier uneventfully since Autumn of last year, but this summer they made some ownership changes. Originally they were part of Nutro, but were a higher quality, grain free edition sold as a special diet, packed full of nutrition formulated based on what the ancestors of our modern house cat would have eaten in the wild. They were also advertised as more eco-friendly, everything grown and raised on a renewable energy wind farm. However, Wild Frontier broke away from Nutro just before July of this year, and the are in the process of becoming independent. As I understand it they're developing new products and new packaging, and in the meantime there isn't any Wild Frontier for my cat to eat at most stores. I have been trying to find a new cat food during the interim, but it hasn't been easy.

My pet is a large cat who is approaching maturity between 6-9 years old, and my veterinarian would like him to lose a pound or two. So a very healthy cat food is essential, especially because he is an indoor cat and has a healthy appetite normally. Since he likes to eat at all hours I need to make sure that he is at least eatting something very nutritious so he doesn't develop a weight problem long term and any health complications that might arise from that like diabetes.

One reason I settled on Wild Frontier was because it was one of the few dry formulas that ranked very high quality at Cat Food Database. They take a very critical eye. If they give a brand a significantly above average score of 7 or higher, then it's near perfect. Wet food tends to be superior in quality to dry cat food more often, but unfortunately my cat will not eat anything out of a can, he won't even eat meat. It has to be kibble, he is for some reason very particular about that. My vet says some cats are like that. However, this provides me with some degree of challenge already because dry food normally has more carbohydrates.

There are some very good dry cat foods, but the balancing act is finding a top quality dry cat food that my cat also likes the taste of, and the two don't seem to go hand and hand usually. Often really good dry cat food comes in big cubical pieces or is even freeze dried raw meat, but my cat will not eat anything like that. He won't even eat table scraps like shrimp, fish or chicken. He's is adamant about eatting only pellets of dry cat food, and they can't look too exotic. Wild Frontier was discovered by me through some trial and error, after he wouldn't eat Crave or Tiki Cat, though both considered high end cat food.

Right now with Wild Frontier not around I tried to serve him Merrick Perfect Bistro complete care grain free weight control. It got really good ratings for nutrition and quality, but he is not thrilled to be eating it. I didn't want to switch him to a strange, new cat food abruptly, so for about a week I added small bits of Merrick to what's left of his Wild Frontier, gradually increasing the amount of Merrick little by little each day. I had hoped to transition him to Merrick, and initially he seemed to eat it like normal, but now that I am out of Wild Frontier and it's mostly Merrick he has caught on that's it's something different. He leaves most of his food throughout the day, yet clearly doesn't act like he is full. He acts hungry, and comes to me meowing regularly. I serve him Merrick, and he just looks at it and walks away, or reluctantly eats a few kernels.

These last few days have been really difficult. He's been meowing incessantly, especially during the night, trying to communicate that he's hungry, each time sounding more and more distressed as the Merrick cat food accumulates in his bowl. Obviously he can't understand that there are issues with the manufacturer, and just wants his old food back. I am not sleeping good because my poor cat cries every other hour.

This weekend I bought him a pet food dispenser maze, where kernels of food roll down on tracks like a gum ball machine if he interacts with it. I thought maybe the element of play would make the food enticing to him, and he would be more willing to try the new food. While he looks at the toy with curiosity, he will not touch the food when it falls down.

I feel bad for my cat. I want him to be in shape, but I don't want him to lose weight by starving himself. This has not been easy on him or me.

I saw a bag of Wild Frontier on eBay that was new, unopened and is not beyond the expiration date, and was considering purchasing it, hoping that by the time he finishes eatting this bag I would be able to buy Wild Frontier again at the normal outlets. I'm a little wary of buying pet food from an individual, even though they have been established on the site for awhile, have many products and all good feedback. But I can't help but worry, what if the bag has been tampered with?

Merrick is not going to work out though. There's another brand of cat food I'm also thinking of trying called Open Farm. I have heard good things about them before as especially nutritrous, packed full of meat and super foods, and also by pet food standards they are reportedly very ethical with turkey and chickens that are free-range, grass-fed, raised all naturally, no antibiotics and growth hormones. They also passed Cat Pet Food database's strict requirements with a high score, so if my cat were to eat it then this would be something very good for him.

However, there's always a risk when buying a new brand, and I have already spent a ton of money this month trying to make him happy. I'm worried it will be another bag of cat food that just sits there, and this is one of the more expensive brands on the market so I don't want it to go to waste. I'm wondering if I should just buy the Wild Frontier on eBay, knowing that at least it's food he likes, even though I also am worried about buying car food from a seller I'm starting to get desperate about what to do.

Back