• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Wardrobe/Customization & Hair Options Discussion

Tamara❤

Shiny Hunter
    Years
    Not having customization in ORAS is an abomination! Before X/Y I always had a huge wad of pokedollars that I never used but then boutiques turned up and I've never been so broke in my life :D

I'm sad that I can't be an individual anymore just another "may" :(

Years
    I've said this before on other forums, but I still don't see why'd they'd introduce something as huge as character customization to the gameplay only to leave it out of the next game they release.

Not having customization in ORAS is an abomination! Before X/Y I always had a huge wad of pokedollars that I never used but then boutiques turned up and I've never been so broke in my life :D

I'm sad that I can't be an individual anymore just another "may" :(

Customization's main selling point is being an individual in-game, like Tamara mentioned. But it'll probably just only be in X & Y for now because they want to keep Brendan/May like their original selves. But I think customization will return in future games because of how popular it was in X & Y.

Also, Game Freak have often had a long history of introducing new features to a Pokemon game only to remove them in the very next games.

Years
    • Seen Jan 5, 2018
    We just gonna fight clones in online if no customisation, since the avatar doesn't change much since the 3D model will be the same.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    I don't really know if we'll be battling clones, exactly. In original games, they would change your over-world and trainer sprites to a random NPC every time we'd log online, so I suppose they'd likely do the same here?

What I believe would be even better is that, if they're not going to allow customization for May and Brendan, perhaps we could have a separate character for our online selves, which we would be able to freely personalize? Of course, since this isn't related to main story, there wouldn't be any clothing shop in-game. However, if they still wish to keep certain things blocked and have us unlock them, they could set certain requirements, such as battling X amount of time against a friend.

Years
    • Seen Jan 5, 2018
    Well if we look at the picture of an online battle we see they have Brendan and May basic 3D model with May having a female ranger avatar with purple hairs, unless there is customisation we will have to battle clones.

Years
    I don't really know if we'll be battling clones, exactly. In original games, they would change your over-world and trainer sprites to a random NPC every time we'd log online, so I suppose they'd likely do the same here?

What I believe would be even better is that, if they're not going to allow customization for May and Brendan, perhaps we could have a separate character for our online selves, which we would be able to freely personalize? Of course, since this isn't related to main story, there wouldn't be any clothing shop in-game. However, if they still wish to keep certain things blocked and have us unlock them, they could set certain requirements, such as battling X amount of time against a friend.

Well, 4th and 5th Generation had that easy thing where you get represented by a sprite of a certain trainer class. But 6th Generation's multiplayer features all utilize the PSS instead of a Union Room (as there is none) and also it's more complicated because from what we've seen in X/Y, regular trainer classes are shown by a Sugimori artwork while the important characters (excluding Gym Leaders, Elite Four and Diantha, who have the Sugimori art) have 3D models. The reason why our player character in those games was represented by the latter instead of Sugimori art is because if the latter was the case, there would have to be too many artwork made for each individual outfit combination and that would be too much for the data to handle.

I think that if we were battling against someone with X/Y we may have the X/Y player represented by their default appearance and not customized, sorta like how when a female player of Crystal battled someone from Gold/Silver they show up as the male character instead due to no female character existing.

So, while we can still change our PSS icon, that sadly will not carry over to the 3D model so it's pretty much certain we have to battle Brendan/May clones.

Years
    • Seen Sep 19, 2016
    Well, 4th and 5th Generation had that easy thing where you get represented by a sprite of a certain trainer class. But 6th Generation's multiplayer features all utilize the PSS instead of a Union Room (as there is none) and also it's more complicated because from what we've seen in X/Y, regular trainer classes are shown by a Sugimori artwork while the important characters (excluding Gym Leaders, Elite Four and Diantha, who have the Sugimori art) have 3D models. The reason why our player character in those games was represented by the latter instead of Sugimori art is because if the latter was the case, there would have to be too many artwork made for each individual outfit combination and that would be too much for the data to handle.

I think that if we were battling against someone with X/Y we may have the X/Y player represented by their default appearance and not customized, sorta like how when a female player of Crystal battled someone from Gold/Silver they show up as the male character instead due to no female character existing.

So, while we can still change our PSS icon, that sadly will not carry over to the 3D model so it's pretty much certain we have to battle Brendan/May clones.

This thing going on with customization is NOT OVER. We haven't seen the key piece of evidence thats for it or against it! Thats the Pokemart's in the upcoming demo and thats gonna be revealed in a week by 10AM PST on the 14th. Which is two hours past midnight in Japan.

BTW using generic trainer icons and standard character is actually in XY so that pic from the Mega Rayquaza reveal means nothing.

I mean there is absolutely no reason anyone can think of for Game Freak to remove it. Why would they remove it now anyway then bring it back in XY2? Its a basic function and its not like removing contests in Gen 5 then back in Gen 6. Its a basic function. XY is guaranteed to communicate with ORAS then thats gonna show all the customizations from XY in battle spot and the pss.

Last edited:

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    Wait, no trainer customization in ORAS? ;_;

Game Freak, you're missing out on a good opportunity here.

This thing going on with customization is NOT OVER. We haven't seen the key piece of evidence thats for it or against it! Thats the Pokemart's in the upcoming demo and thats gonna be revealed in a week by 10AM PST on the 14th. Which is two hours past midnight in Japan.

BTW using generic trainer icons and standard character is actually in XY so that pic from the Mega Rayquaza reveal means nothing.

I mean there is absolutely no reason anyone can think of for Game Freak to remove it. Why would they remove it now anyway then bring it back in XY2? Its a basic function and its not like removing contests in Gen 5 then back in Gen 6. Its a basic function. XY is guaranteed to communicate with ORAS then thats gonna show all the customizations from XY in battle spot and the pss.
    As much as I'd like to cling to the hope that character customization will be in ORAS, it seems so unlikely at this point. Like Hikari said, Game Freak is notorious for putting great features in one game and then removing them in the next. Just because there's no good reason to remove it doesn't mean that Trollfreak won't do it. Not only that, but ORAS seems to be shaping up to just be a prettied-up version of R/S/E with Gen 6 mechanics and nothing more. They're being really literal with the term "re-make" here.

Tamara❤

Shiny Hunter
    Years
    ^^^
    I agree with zekrom completely about it just being a prettied up remake. Sadly I think it's inevitable that there will not be any trainer customisation...T__T

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jan 5, 2018
    Too bad I hate fighting clones even if their avatar is different the models will be the same, hopefully we will encounter some people in contest outfits at least.

Dedenne1

[SPAN="FONT-SIZE:16.5PX; FONT-FAMILY: SATISFY; TEX
    Years
    I thought it was confirmed that there wouldnt be a return for bootiques well still they could have some. I want more for the guys there was way more for girls i want all colors for dying hoar i wanna be able to dress up like other characters like bikers fisherman and such and more accessories ties belts etc.

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
    Years
    Not only that, but ORAS seems to be shaping up to just be a prettied-up version of R/S/E with Gen 6 mechanics and nothing more. They're being really literal with the term "re-make" here.

If this is the case, people will be REALLY disappointed. :P However, I still think there will be some changes, because you're supposed to get Mega Evolution during the game. I'm confident there's going to be content related to previous game legendaries, but that's not so interesting...

If they revive the Battle Tower instead of the Frontier, the 3rd gen fans are going to have a heart attack. Hoenn games never had good postgame and Emerald was heavily reliant on the Frontier for replay value. I mean, in Emerald you could catch Groudon and Kyogre, and also the Latios/Latias, but nothing much beyond that. I think there was also an improved Safari Zone in Emerald, but I've never explored that much.

I'm waiting to see if they add any sort of postgame to ORAS on top of the little RS had. FRLG and HGSS had good stuff.

Years
    I can't imagine they'd get rid of trainer customisation after the response it had in XY... that'd be crazy! I'll admit there have been a lot of features that in the past have been around for one set of games (eg. having your Pokémon walk with you in HGSS), but customisation seems more like a lasting change, as double battles and the like were in the past.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    No customisation in the game sadly it just got confirmed.
    Link?

And waaaaaaah, y u do this TrollFreak? ;_; You introduce something really cool like free-flying on the Latis in Hoenn and then take away another cool feature.

Years
    No customisation in the game sadly it just got confirmed.

Apparently Serebii mentioned USGamer confirmed the feature was removed, by what I'm reading on Serebii's main page. But yeah as I said myself Game Freak has this notorious habit of introducing cool features only for them to end up disappearing in the very next game.

I still do hope customization can return in the next non-remake games though. Game Freak were being in fact too literal with the term "remake" here as Zekrom mentioned in an earlier post.

We get to customize in the Pokemon contests. That's good enough. Plus there's many new features that we can get used to.

As far as I know, in the scene where the contestants are announced we have Sugimori art appear instead of a 3D model. I think we'll probably only be restricted to the Rock Star (male players) or Pop Star outfit (female players) that is shown, similar to the ones the Cosplay Pikachu wears.

Years
    The interview said:
    During an event last week, Game Freak's Junichi Masuda confirmed that trainer customization had been removed from the upcoming remakes: "In terms of the customization of the trainer, that was really kind of a special thing for the Kalos region, which featured this kind of motif of France and really focused on this beauty and fashion aspect, which is why it was a prominent feature in that game.

The way that's worded makes it sound like customization wont be returning not just for OR/AS, but for every non-Kalos game. Hopefully that's not the case, but I wouldn't be surprised either way because it's GameFreak.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    They would come up with some kind of BS reason like that to not include something >:(

Regions can be unique and special while still including perfectly good features from past games. And they know how much people liked customization in X/Y.

Years
    The way that's worded makes it sound like customization wont be returning not just for OR/AS, but for every non-Kalos game. Hopefully that's not the case, but I wouldn't be surprised either way because it's GameFreak.

They would come up with some kind of BS reason like that to not include something >:(

Regions can be unique and special while still including perfectly good features from past games. And they know how much people liked customization in X/Y.

So the fact France is a stylish country in general is the whole meaning behind "customization is only going to be in Kalos", I think looking back on all the great features that got removed after the game it debuted in, customization pretty much has to be the one that's going to get the most outrage from players who enjoyed it in its only appearance, even moreso than HG/SS's walking Pokemon feature in my opinion.

This pretty much means that in terms of main series games with "unique" features you can add customization to the list in X & Y. Up there with the likes of walking Pokemon in HG/SS and even the Habitat List and the bag's Free Space in B2/W2.

So essentially we will be battling clones for pretty much to the end of eternity, and that means we have to hope that the protagonist designs in future generations don't look "stupid" but most of the female characters tended to impress me anyway.

Back