• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Wardrobe/Customization & Hair Options Discussion

Years
    • Seen Nov 29, 2014
    What I really want, even though it's stupid, is...

The ability to take our hat off!

I feel that it was silly we couldn't do it in X/Y, I think we should be able to do it here.

Keromatsu

Froakie is Awesome!
    Years
    • Seen Jan 28, 2021
    I don't think they will bring it back..(Even tho I want it back) Look you have absol-utely NO MIRROR in your room. And in the secret bases things all of your friends have models of some trainer classes.
    I think they introduced customization, because France is a Stylish region?

Years
    • Seen Jan 5, 2018
    I don't think they will bring it back..(Even tho I want it back) Look you have absol-utely NO MIRROR in your room. And in the secret bases things all of your friends have models of some trainer classes.

Be prepared to fight legion of clones online then.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • I don't think they will bring it back..(Even tho I want it back) Look you have absol-utely NO MIRROR in your room. And in the secret bases things all of your friends have models of some trainer classes.

It will make a return, I just don't think it will be in Hoenn.

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
  • I think that there was a slight hint of character customization with the female avatar (although during battle, May still looked the same :/) in the Wi-Fi battle featured in today's Pokemon-dedicated NicoNico stream... Nevertheless; I'm still hoping that the feature properly returns from Pokemon X and Y; completely removing it would just be horrendous (especially when a good chunk of the work is done already, and even Pokemon Battle Revolution managed to include a form of such customization despite being developed by Genius Sonority).

Years
  • I think that there was a slight hint of character customization with the female avatar (although during battle, May still looked the same :/) in the Wi-Fi battle featured in today's Pokemon-dedicated NicoNico stream... Nevertheless; I'm still hoping that the feature properly returns from Pokemon X and Y; completely removing it would just be horrendous (especially when a good chunk of the work is done already, and even Pokemon Battle Revolution managed to include a form of such customization despite being developed by Genius Sonority).

I came across these pics on Tumblr which made me believe trainer customization was confirmed to be a no-show in the games:

Spoiler:

(spoilered because I know some like to avoid spoilers)

I also quoted some of the post, courtesy of Tumblr user choice-scarfed-umbreon who provided the pics in the spoiler tag just above:

"Also the footage it was announced in seems to make it look like character customization is no longer a thing, since the female trainer's picture on the battle screen appears to be a ranger, but when the battle begins, she's just the default female character. Which is rather disappointing. Fans loved the ability to customize their characters, it was a huge selling point. Plus the ability to do so is already in the engine they're using now, I just don't see why they wouldn't add it. But that one second seems to prove that it's not in there anymore. But there was also the ability to set it as a character in X/Y, so it's not completely off the table, it's just unusual that they'd do this."

I think it's a disappointment to many, but I think what Game Freak were aiming for here was that they wanted to stick close to the originals. This is a remake after all.

Years
    • Seen Mar 13, 2016
    I would love for customization of characters just like in X and Y but if they do not have it it won't cause me to stop my pre order. Although if GF is checking these forums in disguise "PLEASE HAVE MORE CUSTOMIZATION OPTIONS".

Lauren92

#pokemonforlife
    Years
  • I really want the option to not have to wear a hat... And maybe make the clothes cheaper as well? I felt like I wanted to buy all of them, but that was difficult to do when some of them (especially the ones in Lumiose City).

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
  • I came across these pics on Tumblr which made me believe trainer customization was confirmed to be a no-show in the games:

Spoiler:

I also quoted some of the post, courtesy of Tumblr user choice-scarfed-umbreon who provided the pics in the spoiler tag just above:

"Also the footage it was announced in seems to make it look like character customization is no longer a thing, since the female trainer's picture on the battle screen appears to be a ranger, but when the battle begins, she's just the default female character. Which is rather disappointing. Fans loved the ability to customize their characters, it was a huge selling point. Plus the ability to do so is already in the engine they're using now, I just don't see why they wouldn't add it. But that one second seems to prove that it's not in there anymore. But there was also the ability to set it as a character in X/Y, so it's not completely off the table, it's just unusual that they'd do this."

I think it's a disappointment to many, but I think what Game Freak were aiming for here was that they wanted to stick close to the originals. This is a remake after all.

Yeah, that's exactly the picture/moment I was referring to, @Hikamaru, thanks for tracking it down! So much excitement shot down in mere seconds.. ;-; I agree in the unusualness of this occurrence; still holding out hope that character customization returns.. Even though Pokemon OmegaRuby/AlphaSapphire (OR/AS) are remakes, all that is needed is to stuff all of the clothing options in like 1 building or something (such as in Lilycove Department Store or Hoenn Battle Frontier. Ideally, the Battle Tent locations in Verdanturf Town, Fallarbor Town, and Slateport City would've served as great boutique areas). I see no valid reason to keep customization exclusive to Pokemon X and Y other than to encourage purchase of Kalos games (which is very weak, in my opinion); OR/AS needs to be optimized as much as possible (and they have all of the work done already! Gah...!).

Ugh...I didn't even need character customization in XY, as I'm fine with Xavier/Calem's default look..the one time I do need it (changing Brendan's "head" to look more like he has white hair instead of a white hat), it seems to be in jeopardy. And then there's potential missed opportunities if the feature doesn't return (like Team Magma/Aqua player outfits). T_T

Mark Kamill

I like kitties
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jun 13, 2023
    Ever since the SSB reveal with the default characters standing in for streetpass hits I knew this was coming. Not upset at all, although it was fun in XY, I hated the feeling that you were a character more then you were going through a proper story with a proper character.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    That's very disappointing to hear. I've always wanted to see something like character customization in these games, and was glad when they had finally introduced it. Now that they're taking it away, I suppose it's back to normal? It's definitely understandable, though, as their aim is to likely keep remakes closely resemble to their original versions.

If they wished, however, they still could have incorporated the feature, somehow. Although May and Brendan are established characters (would make them look like someone else if we were able to fully change their things), they might have still been able to give us limited customization options, such as changing shirt, pants, shoes, and perhaps hat. As for everything else, they would be kept the same.

Years
  • Quite surprised this got as popular as it did!

Well, too be blunt, I don't think they intend to bring it back as it was in XY, Judging from how certain things have played out, the game seems like a more on rail remake.

With that said, I think they will have some form of customization, maybe choosing the color of the clothes themselves, but I can't say for sure. We will hopefully find out closer to release or on the release date :)

Jigglymilk

Night Of The Final Day
    Years
    • Seen May 12, 2016
    I came across these pics on Tumblr which made me believe trainer customization was confirmed to be a no-show in the games:

Spoiler:

Ughh I saw "customization" and a photo of a blue haired character and got all excited <\3 if they are taking away clothing and hairstyles, the least GF could do is let us change the color of our hair/clothes! But that's probably not gonna happen :(

Years
    • Seen Jan 5, 2018
    To me it seems to be like the PSS where people use NPC pic instead of their character avatar. Customisation could be still here but it's not their focus right now.

Years
  • To me it seems to be like the PSS where people use NPC pic instead of their character avatar. Customisation could be still here but it's not their focus right now.

I think what's happening here is that the PSS avatars this time around are a choice between various NPCs, where X/Y had something similar but this time around it's trainer classes (and presumably Gym Leaders/Elite Four as well) in Hoenn, in a similar fashion to how 4th and 5th Generation games had you represented by a trainer class avatar when using the Union Room. I was also reblogging content on Tumblr and came across this post which I subsequently reblogged to my Tumblr page, and when I read the comments there was this one that definitely got my attention:

There probably won't be character customization because they are trying to recreate the game. They will probably bring it back in the new games. Right now the closest thing in this game is at contests.

Ignore the part at the end, it's what the rest of the post says that makes sense. The user is explaining the point of remakes, it's essentially an older game given a new coat of paint and given it's revealed the game will be sticking to the same storyline as Ruby & Sapphire (but they could throw some Emerald elements in, like how Heart Gold & Soul Silver had Crystal elements while sticking to the Gold & Silver plot) they want to try and stay true to the originals while keeping current mechanics such as physical/special split, Mega Evolution etc. Also, if one notices Brendan and May's new designs they seem to incorporate elements from both their R/S and Emerald outfits into the design.

That's probably why I don't think we'll get customization back until the next non-remake game.

Jigglymilk

Night Of The Final Day
    Years
    • Seen May 12, 2016
    I don't think the fact that these are remakes is a good excuse to cut customization tbh. They have already changed so much, adding megas to the story, primal reversion, new characters, etc. Why can all that be added and still be considered a full remake, but adding optional customization wouldn't?

Back