• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Was it good to have only Unova Pokemon in the main storyline?

Years
  • Hey guys, did you think adding only Unova Pokemon until after the main storyline was a good idea? I thought it was good AND bad! Tell me your opinion.

-pokemonsam9

Xetharo

The Illustrious Mew
    Years
  • I thought it was a good idea...cause it forced you to learn all of them and actually use them, you couldn't just choose to find your favorites out of the old ones and use them....it was definitely a nice touch, i just wish there were some stronger choices out there

Chiar

Years
    • Seen May 5, 2014
    :<
    I had a team and boxes full of non-Unovan Pokemon at the main storyline. I have traded at GTS Negotiation.

Xetharo

The Illustrious Mew
    Years
  • oh....GTS was available during the main storyline? i didn't know that....i thought it opened up after you beat the elite 4 for the first time

Years
  • NO ZUBAT YEEEAHOOOO!

ie. Yes. It created a nice atmosphere of everything being different and fresh, and yet the same. The main storyline was engaging enough that I didn't have time to miss them.

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2022
    It felt like I was playing a completely new game without of old pokemon, which is a good thing really as it made the game feel more new that other pokemon games. I did start to miss the old pokemon near the end though.

Years
  • Unlike previous games, you couldn't just stick to your previous favorites and had to learn the ins and outs of these new Pokemon. The hard way. I didn't extensively look into the typing or stats of these guys before or during the game's release, so I was struggling with type matchups again. It was a lot of fun to relearn how to play Pokemon. They say that the first time is the best. This was as close to the first time as it could get.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • Forced you to used things you knew little about, so I liked it. I mean, even if the older Pokemon had been in it, I kind of make it tradition to only use new Pokemon on my first run of the new gen. And I gotta admit, I don't like using the non-Unova Pokemon in BW. I have a full team of non-gen V Pokemon for a challenge I'm doing on Black, and I gotta say, I just don't like it, lol.

Weavile05

Currently Hacking BW
    Years
  • Yes, it made the game tons more interesting and they'll probably feel newer for a lot longer. I actually didn't like the aftergame much because just about the only gen V pokemon there were were the ones on my team.

Years
  • I like the new Unova pokemon, especially Scraggy/Scrafty. Putting pikachu and friends in before the main storyline would've been a distraction to veteran fans, who would've been like: "There's Kadabra at Lv. 38. Let me catch that, trade with a friend and take it to the elite four."

Other new pokemon favorites: Zweilous, Stunfisk, Alomomola, Basculin, Braviary, Servine, Bisharp, and Beartic.

LegendaryFSK

I control my own fate.
    Years
  • I thought it was a good idea to only have Unova Pokemon. I enjoyed learning all the new types and everything. Quite a few of the Unova Pokemon became favorites of mine. So it all worked out.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • I only included the native Pokemon in my teams, so I didn't mind having all Unova Pokemon pre-National Dex.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    I thought that was a great thing, nothing like not having to experience Sturdy Geodude YET, thank goodness.

Sturdy Boldore says hi :B
    Was it good to have only Unova Pokemon in the main storyline?

Anyway, I loved the idea of having no new Pokemon until after the Elite Four. I mean, Unova Pokemon are very powerful as it is, so it's not like you're struggling for a good team. They made the game easy enough to switch party members so you can experiment, and not plan out your team beforehand because you know all them already.

LightOfTruth

Years
    • Seen Jul 16, 2020
    Giving Unova Pokemon a chance they are nice pokemon, If there was older pokemon in the game I say not again, Do I need another Zubat? :)

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    Yeah, I'd definitely say that it was a good thing to exclude #001-493 from the main storyline. Heck, I'd have probably coped if they were missing for the whole game. Although it was nice to capture my own Zangoose and Lunatone for the first time in my life.

The only thing now is that Sinnoh pokémon are only available pre-E4 in their own region. Whilst this exclusivity in itself is nice, I kinda hope for Gen VI they prioritise the inclusion of Sinnoh pokémon over Gen I-II pokémon (and to a lesser extent Gen III).

Years
    • Seen Aug 23, 2013
    To me, yes, it's a good thing they only made Unova-only Pokémon available during the main game. It adds a lot more challenge to the game by having you study and build strategies using only the new Pokémon instead of relying on old gen Pokémon. Sure some old gen Pokémon would've wiped the floor with certain gym leaders (looking at you Elesa. If only I had my Geodude) and having to relearn the type effectiveness is a chore but that's what makes the new Pokémon so fun to use

tl;dr: Good idea. Gives challenge and refreshing gameplay

Raven Valt

You gave me power in your gods name.
    Years
  • You got to look at the fact they tried to get away from the other generations in the storyline, which for me is a good thing, Gives people more of a chance to learn the new pokemon.

Hypno

OT: Eggaro
    Years
  • It was a good idea since it made me get used to them and get to know their types and names.

Musashi

Nope, that's not me
    Years
  • I thought it was a fantastic idea. While playing through it the first time, everything felt so fresh and new. It was a much needed reboot.

Back