• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen Was R/B/G/Y your first game?

Fernando Torres

Class on grass
Years
    • Seen Jul 28, 2014
    Since this is the first generation of Pokémon, I was wondering if all of you guys actually played and started the series with Gen 1. Personally I was too young to understand anything so I started in Gen 2.

Let me know! :3

Discuss! :3

Sirfetch’d

I remember getting my Blue version when I was a little kid. It was my very first Pokemon game and I was really excited to play it. I remember not being able to figure out how to exit the house and I had to have someone help me, haha. I actually played all 3 versions before moving on to gen 2 so yes!

Years
  • I started off with Yellow, I bought it when I was staying at Butlins. I loved it, it was amazing!

Years
  • My best friend had pokemon blue. He was SOOO nice, he let me play it....for 3 minutes, literally. After he took it back I walked across the street to my house in tears and threw a temper tantrum. My mom wasn't having it; she rightly told me not to act so spoiled and make demands for my parents to buy me a Gameboy along with a Pokemon game. My grandmother (my mother's mother) overheard, and she went out to the store and bought me a lime-green (kiwi-green) gameboy color with pokemon red. She came home with a smile, and presented me with the game console and game, making sure my mom was in the room. I gave her a big hug and told her she was the best. Let's just say my mom wasn't happy - at all! Grandmas are the worst spoilers! She even told me that now I have something that "snobby brat" next door didn't have, since she purchased the red version, and the system was an upgrade from the original gameboy model of which my friend had. Of course I went next door and gloated, he cried, his mother called my mother, and I was grounded. But, I didn't care, I just played my gameboy the entire day :p

Good times!

BubbleBeams

Defeating Champions Since 1999
    Years
  • My dad's best friend's son gave me his Blue version along with his Gameboy Color after I showed interest in it. He had beaten it and didn't want it anymore. I remember being so happy!! My first Pokemon game!!!

Very shortly after my parents got me Yellow for Christmas. I have Red as well but I honestly can't recall when or how I obtained it. I do know I had it before Gold and Silver were released in the USA though. lol

Years
  • I didn't own any of the first gen games myself, but I did borrow my cousin's Yellow for a couple of months, so I'd still say that it was my first game. I even managed to beat the Elite Four and catch Mewtwo for him, then my sister went and saved over the file. When I finally got my own game (Gold), I wouldn't let her within 10 feet of it, haha.

.:batto:.

Pokébreeder
    Years
  • Yes, i got Pokemon Yellow for christmas.. about 7 months after it first came out. like nearly everyone else that was around my age. playing pokemon for the first time. was stuck at brock for months..
    but i remember the first time i beat him. i will never feel that sense of adventure from a pokemon game ever again.. :/

Years
  • I started with Red. I played my first game only 4-5 years ago and it was Red.

After that I played Gold.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Yes, yes it was. n__n I got into Pokémon when I was very little (five, I think?). My first game was Pokémon Blue, which my dad got me as a Christmas present. The game was very addicting for me. I used to play it for hours as soon as I got home after school. On the weekends, I used to visit my friend's house and play the game with her. She had Pokémon Blue, just like I did.

Years
  • Wait I'm the first person to say no here?

But yeah it is true, I never started with Red/Blue/Yellow, or in fact any game from the first two generations for that matter. I was a late bloomer, with Ruby actually being the first game I did a full playthrough of. So yeah I'm definitely taking this as a no, R/B/Y wasn't my first game.

Savant

Natural Born Breeder
    Years
  • I've played and owned games of every generation so far. I had all three Gen I games, Gold and Crystal of Gen II, Ruby, Sapphire and Emerald of Gen III (still have Emerald btw, lost the others), Diamond of Gen IV and White of Gen V. I'm currently looking for Platinum, Black 2 and once Gen VI comes out I'm gonna get Pokemon X.

I just realised GF took so much of my money over the years...

Mortalis

[css-div="background-color:#4e9dda;text-align:cent
    Years
  • My cousins gave me Pokémon Red, Blue and Yellow for my birthday when I was about 6 or 7. I started with Pokémon Red, then moved on to Pokémon Yellow.

I remember being so clueless, I didn't understand how to catch Pokémon or get past the grumpy old man in Viridian. My brothers had to help me out a bunch.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    I didn't own any of the first gen games myself, but I did borrow my cousin's Yellow for a couple of months, so I'd still say that it was my first game. I even managed to beat the Elite Four and catch Mewtwo for him, then my sister went and saved over the file. When I finally got my own game (Gold), I wouldn't let her within 10 feet of it, haha.
    Haha I hated when siblings did that! ;; All my pokémon... Gone.

Wait I'm the first person to say no here?

But yeah it is true, I never started with Red/Blue/Yellow, or in fact any game from the first two generations for that matter. I was a late bloomer, with Ruby actually being the first game I did a full playthrough of. So yeah I'm definitely taking this as a no, R/B/Y wasn't my first game.
    Cool, Ruby was the second game I owned even if it wasn't the second game I ever played, so it has a special place in my heart too.

My cousins gave me Pokémon Red, Blue and Yellow for my birthday when I was about 6 or 7. I started with Pokémon Red, then moved on to Pokémon Yellow.

I remember being so clueless, I didn't understand how to catch Pokémon or get past the grumpy old man in Viridian. My brothers had to help me out a bunch.
    All three? I'd have been so jealous of you!

Yellow was my first game. By the time I bought it, gold and silver were already out, but I decided that I wanted to start with a GB game despite the GBC games looking cooler. Because I wanted to have Pikachu following me ^^ I somewhat regretted it later. If I had bought silver as my first game, Johto would have been even more special to me than it is today. But then again, maybe I wouldn't have appreciated gen I at all if I hadn't picked yellow.

atomtanned

Delinquent
    Years
    • Seen Oct 17, 2022
    I was pretty old when the first gen came out... I got Pokemon Blue for my 11th birthday. I had no one to trade with, so I remember doing chores around the house and saving up for AGES to buy Red so I could use my sister's Gameboy to trade for a full Pokedex!

I bought Yellow later on as well. I still have them all, along with Silver & Crystal! I actually play through them sometimes still, for challenges, etc.

Ehrgeiz

CustomTitle1.Show()
    Years
  • I started on my brothers copy of Pokemon Red. I remember playing that thing most of the year while watching the TV show, waiting for movies, collecting holographic cards, trying too catch 'em all on the game. Good times ^_^

Then I remember hearing about Green version that was only in, Japan; thinking it was the sweetest thing, ever.
    Then Generation II was coming about, and freaking out over Lugia and the infamous Pikablu (Marill) from all little information I had. Ahh :)

KnockFan

Just a Beginner ...
    Years
    • Seen Nov 30, 2013
    R/B/G/Y were not the first Pokemon game I've played. I started out with Gold.

Back