• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: Watch out for Ghosts...

Status
Not open for further replies.

pkmin3033

Well, I still get enjoyment out of the original dub up to the end of Johto, and the DPPt arc. And the spinoff titles. But playing the 3DS titles, even though I dislike them, they make the older titles feel so dated and slow by comparison...wish they'd remake DPPt already. Or make USUM playable, unlike SM, which was not.

pkmin3033

More content does not necessarily mean that content will be playable. I'm pretty sure that Festival Plaza had more content than PSS overall, but it was so poorly implemented that it didn't make a difference. Sometime less is more. Better that they do a thing and do it right rather than they do many things and get none of them right...or only a handful. I suppose SM did SOME things right. I just can't think of what they are right now...

Years

Festival Plaza was at least an attempt at a Join Avenue 2.0. Unfortunately, the only thing it succeeded at was being controversial and hated by the whole fandom.

pkmin3033

I don't think Join Avenue was particularly great either tbh. Not when I think about how simple and intuitive DPPt's online system was. With online systems, they really need to keep it simple and accessible. Festival Plaza had some great ideas, but they were executed poorly...and I doubt USUM will refine it in any significant way, either.

pkmin3033

Probably not...and if Gen VIII is on Switch (and I hope it isn't) then what replaces it will be even worse, because whatever it is, it will almost certainly require Nintendo's paid online service to work. Imagine having to pay to battle or trade Pokemon. Not cool.

Years

Paid online will be way more controversial than the Festival Plaza will be, making it actually look better in comparison. The fanbase will lose a lot if this happens.

pkmin3033

Oh, I wouldn't be so sure of that...I mean, if Nintendo can get away with putting DLC in Zelda, they can get away with paid online for Pokemon. I suppose it might sound like fear-mongering, but online battling is essentially PvP, and in current generation gaming online is only free on handhelds. It's a normalised practice to pay for online play now, so whilst it wouldn't be a popular move, I doubt it would really cause any significant lasting damage.

pkmin3033

It probably would, but it wouldn't stop them doing it. I don't see how they can make the move to Switch without putting these questionable business practices into effect...paid online, DLC and season passes, probable amiibo support...it all sounds very exciting, but when you think current Pokemon experiences are complete by themselves and you online have to pay for them the once...I'm surprised more people aren't worried about a move to Switch tbh.

Years

I think the only reason people want Pokemon to move to the Switch is because it has handheld purposes, but it would also feel like a step backwards since it's single-screen only, something which last happened in 3rd Gen.

pkmin3033

I don't think it would be as big of a hindrance as expected. We survived for a long time with a single screen, and whilst stepping back to that would be jarring, it wouldn't be as inconvenient - the Switch has a touchscreen so we could still use that. I think the Switch game will be a different experience, though. All of Nintendo's other most significant franchises have different 2D and 3D core series - Zelda, Metroid, Mario, etc. I doubt Pokemon for the Switch will be the same as it is for the 3DS in terms of gameplay...and I doubt they'll stop making 3DS titles either.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023

Main games on the Switch would be something but I wouldn't be opposed to keeping the main games on handhelds (er.. completely handhelds? shrugs) and idk. putting another game like Colosseum/XD on the switch. but maybe that's me hoping that one day they would make a more rpg-esque Pokemon game again.

pkmin3033

I'm just wondering when I'm going to give up on the franchise and pack it all in when I haven't really enjoyed myself with it since Platinum. I'm getting steadily more disenchanted with the whole franchise and I've dropped series for less. I get the feeling a move to the Switch will kill it, somehow...

pkmin3033

Don't sit there too long, or you'll waste away before it starts probably. xD;

Waiting for news can be tough sometimes if you're excited about something. Although I find not knowing something is coming is better than knowing a week or so in advance.

Years

Unfortunately, it appears August will be when the news coverage starts. I'm annoyed that the Pokemon company now seems to want to drop news of new Pokemon games slower than previously.

pkmin3033

Maybe. Give the movie hype in Japan some time to die down. Still got half the month left, after all.

...half the month. Holycrap. Where is 2017 even going.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023

I'm okay with no USUM news but i haven't been hyped about it since day one. I thought i really liked gen 7 but then the more i think about it the one I'm ehhh about it lmao. I didnt even realize that one pokemon exists until the other day when i was loiking at serebii about something.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back