• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Anime/Manga Week Nine: The Laws

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chikara

ʕ´•ᴥ•`ʔ
    Years
    10 weeks of anime: week nine
    The Laws
    <( ̄︶ ̄)>"

Sorry this took a little longer to get up! I wanted to make sure I had the emblems done(and they are!). I was also waiting for a day off from work so the thread wouldn't be as rushed as the last two were *phew*

There's a couple of unwritten laws surrounding anime that some of us know. Some of us don't know about them. Some of us don't care (*・~・*) "Laws' might not be the word you choose to use. They may just be standards you try to hold yourself to. Anime is a hobby, and some of us care a little more about it than others- which is perfectly fine, everyone has their own way!

I know of, and try to follow two.

1) No dropping a show until you've seen at least three episodes. Any earlier is a premature judgement, since most shows take a bit longer to hook you.

2) It is a sin to skip the opening theme song. The ending isn't as important, but if you like it, it's a sin to skip the ending theme song.​

Personally, I do my damndest to follow both of those. I tend to drop halfway through the show, after I've definitely decided that I really just don't care anymore.

How about you? owo​

Kenchiin

1/2,578,917 ☆
    Years
    So damn true.

I don't know how or when, but it was always the rule to watch at least 3 episodes. Well I don't actually drop anything, but I can use the 'indefinite hiatus' thingy sometimes if the first three episodes suck.
    I mean, we are all around the world and we all know this rule. Is it part of the otaku way of life?.

I do skip the OP if I don't like it. It has happened in a few cases, for example with some Bleach fillers where OPs were like 'omg who even though this was cool'.

I love the imaginary law that every magical girl series needs to have a cute pet that represents it. Subverted somehow by Madoka Magica, if you know what I mean.

I don't know if it's a law or not, but I do not watch episode previews. Especially if watching a non-airing show. It usually spoils the good stuff in a very inaccurate way.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
    Few laws for studios:
    If it's anime by Deen, it's gonna be bad.
    If it's anime by SHAFT, you're gonna need weed to understand.
    If it's anime by KyoAni, it's gonna remind you of K-On faces.

My own laws:
    Never watch HorribleSubs unless anime has no other subbing group in its 3rd week of airing.
    Check the voice cast before watching.
    Never watch fillers ongoing.

And absolutely my own laws:
    If it has HanaKana, it's a great anime.
    HanaKana character = best girl
    If it has HanaKana, I have to watch it.

Is it part of the otaku way of life?.
    Nope, it's part of Otaku Bible!

Years
    Heres a few of mine:

Always read the synopsis before watching.

Always watch OVAs (Unless they are just comprised of content that has already been shown) same for Films based on a series.

Always watch Subs, unless the Anime is set in an English Speaking location (i.e Black Butler as it is set in Victorian England) same applies to Hetalia as ascents don't sound right (to an English Speaker) in Japanese.

All episodes must be added to MyAnimeList as soon as watched.

Last edited:

Weeaboo Name

Banned
    Years
    Uhhhm, I'm not really seeing how that was rude but okay. I won't bother trying again though, gonna go smoke a joint and watch some Hidamari!!!!11

Pretty sure you meant Commie.

If you'd rather watch Horriblesubs than Commie then I'm thinking your vision might not be too great or maybe your system isn't rendering things right. You do have to put up with the odd ''funny'' line but most of their scripts are okay.

Years
    Some laws I think exist in anime.

1. Touch the male lead's girl...you're gonna get knocked the f out.
    2. The guys with long hair are usually the strongest, i.e. Naruto.
    3. Super Saiyans have some sort of constipation problem.
    4. Anyone with Todd Haberkorn or Vic Mignogna voice actor is fucking awesome.

Kenchiin

1/2,578,917 ☆
    Years
    2. The guys with long hair are usually the strongest, i.e. Naruto.

I am sure there was a TV trope about this. I don't really get the reason behind long hair = power. Is it a eastern culture thing?

The trope comes from ancient times lol. Even Captain Harlock had long hair.

Weeaboo Name

Banned
    Years
    I am sure there was a TV trope about this. I don't really get the reason behind long hair = power. Is it a eastern culture thing?

The trope comes from ancient times lol. Even Captain Harlock had long hair.

I dunno but hair length does often change when they need to draw new forms, be it shounen jump or magical girls.

Bleach is my favorite for that, the Ichigo vs Aizen mullet off was great.

pkmin3033

When I saw the title of the thread, I immediately thought of this...

Anyways, some of my unwritten (until now, anyway) rules include...

1. If Yuri Lowenthal is in it, don't watch it dubbed.
    2. If Crispin Freeman and/or Liam O'Brien is in it, disregard rule #1.
    3. Wait until it finishes before watching it, because waiting week by week sucks. Exceptional series - Nisekoi, Precure, Gundam, and anything that looks or sounds awesome - bypass this rule.
    4. If it has a good soundtrack, get it immediately.
    5. Watch at least two episodes before dropping it, unless the first episode really is THAT awful.
    6. If Urobutcher was involved in it, avoid it.
    7. If it's based on an ongoing manga or light novel series, avoid it, because it won't have a proper conclusion...unless it's getting a second series and/or said manga/light novel is approaching completion.
    8. If everyone else is going on about it, don't watch it for a while, if ever.
    9. Skipping the OP and ED is acceptable if they're not particularly good.

I also never watch Commie subs either unless I have absolutely no choice in the matter if I want to watch something. I also wait for Doremi for Precure, even if it usually takes longer. It used to be Curecom, but they kinda...stopped.

Kenchiin

1/2,578,917 ☆
    Years
    I dunno but hair length does often change when they need to draw new forms, be it shounen jump or magical girls.

Bleach is my favorite for that, the Ichigo vs Aizen mullet off was great.

I love when they go for the bishounen boss with blond long hair. Like, what. You're rich, get a haircut.

As the Meloetta from the future I must tell you you are making a great mistake ;___;

Unless you mean that you want to avoid them because you will be having a hard time.

I remember for example Gargantia and Madoka. They broke my heart. If there's a law, probably is "You should stay away of his stories unless you're ready".

Edit:
    Actually there's no way to be ready. Forget that law.

pkmin3033

As the Meloetta from the future I must tell you you are making a great mistake ;___;

Unless you mean that you want to avoid them because you will be having a hard time.

I remember for example Gargantia and Madoka. They broke my heart. If there's a law, probably is "You should stay away of his stories unless you're ready".
    I think this is where our timelines diverge, my friend~

Nope, that isn't what I meant at all; there are no positive connotations to be taken from that rule. Urobutcher is to be avoided because his writing is utter garbage. At least in my opinion. I realize others don't share it, and that's fine, but I will not speak a single word of praise for his works.

Madoka is the primary reason I loathe Urobutcher in fact; Gargantia I haven't seen and have no plans to see. The only exception I would be willing to make to this rule in the future is the Psycho-Pass movie, and considering how awful the second season was that isn't guaranteed either.

But I'll not clutter up the thread. Suffice it to say that I stand by my opinion and my rule; I just didn't want it misinterpreted is all~

Kenchiin

1/2,578,917 ☆
    Years
    No worries, we don't really need to agree. I guess that's the point of having different opinions. At least we know now what went wrong in my timeline.

Ontopic: I found this.

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/JustForFun/RulesOfAnime

Especial attention to #26

#26 -Law of Feline Mutation (from A. Hicks)

Any half-cat/half-human mutation will invariably:
    *Be female
    *Possess ears and sometimes a tail as a genetic mutation
    *Wear as little clothing as possible, if any

I would add 'it is very likely it will be loli or 'it might have ridiculously big breasts'.

None of these apply for Loveless of course.

I couldn't stop laughing at this:

Law of Follicular Chromatic Variability (from Spellweaver)
    Any color in the visible spectrum is considered a natural hair color. This color can change without warning or explanation.

Years
    I'll just go through and comment on most of the rules people have posted so far.

In regards to the three episode rule, I usually watch 12/13 episodes series so I just finish the whole thing even if its garbage (Glasslip). When I first started, I dropped a few things after 1 or 2 episodes though which I don't particularly regret since it made me jump to shows generally regarded as good which paid off.

I have a watch all filler rule, but it's only really One Piece which this applies to. I also have a rule for One Piece of watching a minimum of two episodes a day while catching up, but I usually watch more than that so it has became a bit of a pointless rule.

I don't usually watch any Opening or Ending themes. I watch the Opening once then never replay it unless it is catchy af (Evangelion, Code Geass are the only ones that spring to mind) and I usually never watch the ending theme.

My only other rule and it's not really a rule, but more of a habit is that I update Hummingbird as soon as I've finished watching.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
    And... I'll be another who says that this is very bad rule :P
    Actually, for me it's reverse. If it has Urobutcher, I'm more than tempted to watch it.

Pretty sure you meant Commie.
    I would rather watch communistic jokes with memes than Horrible Subs actually.

Gargantia (anime that is) wasn't wholly under Urobutcher's guidance.
    The only episodes he took care of (and were the only good ones) were 1 and 13.
    He only made the original (similar to Aldnoah Zero).

I would add 'it is very likely it will be loli
    Week Nine: The Laws

That brings me to another rule.

For anime to be successful, it has to have a loli.

Candy

[img]http://i.imgur.com/snz4bEm.png[/img]
    Years
    My personal rule is that I won't drop an anime that I've started except if I dropped it since the very first minutes of watching. The only things on my list are stuff I've watched, and stuff that's stays on-hold 'til I finally decide to watch it again haha.

Another one: watch it once, then skip openings and endings all the time unless if it's really good, then I'll consider listening to the music once in a while. Also, immediately get the good soundtracks when it's released.

Kenchiin

1/2,578,917 ☆
    Years
    Also, immediately get the good soundtracks when it's released.

I used to be like this. Not sure what happened after one or two years.

Maybe I don't download every soundtrack I can, but if something really amuses me it's a matter of time.

Probably this season I will looking for Kekkai Sensen's OST :D

Years
    • she/her
    • home
    • Seen Aug 16, 2023
    i try to follow the three-episode rules mostly, but to be honest there have been some anime that i dropped after just one or two episodes. not because they were bad per se, just not my cup of tea, i suppose. ( ´ ▽ ` )ゞ

apart from that, i have a rule to always watch the OP and ED when i know it's the first or last time i'll hear them. i hope that makes sense.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back