• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Weirdly popular HGSS pokemon

Pebblycone

Little Monster ♥
Years
  • Ampharos are caught very early in the game, and are a great pokemon. In fact, according to the official nintendo HG/SS Guide (for Kanto) it is the best choice for a Special Attack Electric type.
    I don't know why Heracross. I, personally, don't like Bug pokemon. Don't get me wrong, Caterpie is pretty darn cute, but the type isn't that great in a permanent team.

Heart's Soul

Hey, look, I was gone.
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Aug 20, 2020
    Mareep is very good! In the PC Box, that is. Heracross, I've not even met one, so...

As for a decent Water-type, I tend to go Gyarados. As for a decent Electric type- PBR Raichu. As for a decent Bug-type (I hate that type, though) Scizor takes the lead.

Styxx

Obsessive Breeder
    Years
  • I like both of those pokemon a lot actually. They've just got that cool factor to be perfectly honest. The cartoon talked me into liking Heracross at first, then Stadium 2 convinced me it was a good, solid choice considering megahorn and the popularity of psychic types at the time.

And Ampharos was my favorite of that generation from the time I saw it on the promotional poster you got for preordering silver. It's also pretty much the best easily available electric pokemon early on, and it makes a quick and easy stage two with some useful attacks.

Years
    • Seen Aug 27, 2010
    I have always loved herracross but had him once and never trained him :(

The show makes him look so badass.

Amhohros i never bothered with due to mareep being weak. So i had no electric pokemon for my G/S/C career so now i got HG i figured him him a whirl and hes still on my team.

Not keen on scizor though or steelix i just think they look goofy while onix and syther look bad to the bone.....rock

Weavile05

Currently Hacking BW
    Years
  • What's up with Pidgey, btw?
    He doesn't evolve until level 18 and doesn't really learn any good moves!
    Spearow is way better, and there are plenty of Pokes even better that that!

Years
    • Seen Aug 27, 2010
    What's up with Pidgey, btw?
    He doesn't evolve until level 18 and doesn't really learn any good moves!
    Spearow is way better, and there are plenty of Pokes even better that that!
    Pidgys evolution line gains its real strength when it reaches pidgeot. That thing is a badass and super strong and one of the fastest pokemon in game rivaling rapidash.

Spearows evolution line is stronger to start with because it has one evolution that is fearow which is stronger than pidgeotto. Pidgeot beats fearow like a 20 year old fighting a toddler

Nugg

Le Diable Blanc
    Years
  • I caught a Mareep and used it up to Gym 15. mainly because it's a decent Electric pokemon that can be caught early in the game. But it isn't great stat-wise and I'm looking for another Electric type xD

Years
    • Seen Sep 12, 2016
    Usually I'd go for speedy Pokemon...
    But for some Pokemon like Amphy, Heracross, Octillery, Vileplume etc..., I have a soft spot for them. [=

King Gumball

Haven't been here for ages...
    Years
  • I find that a lot of people train Ampherous' I myself train one called Mary coz Mareep was a lamb.

Darkfire_Danny

Houndoom Fanatic
    Years
  • Well my Generation 3 original game was Crystal, and you couldn't catch Mareep in Crystal for some reason :\ . So in my SoulSilver I used Mareep 'cause I'd never used it before :D .

Not sure about the Heracross thing, it's a great Pokémon but not very easy to find :\ .

PsychoJigglypuff

Crazy and Loving It!
    Years
  • Well, I tend to use Pokemon I get early on, because they're usually much higher in level than the Pokemon I find later on, because I've used them so much. Almost all of the Pokemon on my team are available before the second gym. I've never used Heracross, because I never even bothered with Headbutt. However, I love Ampharos, and it has a pretty good moveset.

I would rather have a unique team, but I go with whatever Pokemon I like and can use well. I guess the most atypical Pokemon I have is Gliscor, which I traded over from my Platinum, because you can't get Gligars in Soul Silver.

Morgnarok

PokéCommunity Supporter - Platinum Tier
    Years
  • Well,I am not that far in my soulsilver but i don't even use the Gen 3 pokemon.I released my starter and use torterra,infernape,empoleon and metagross.

Gulpin

poisonous
    Years
    • Seen Jan 16, 2017
    I believe that most non-popular Pokemon are starting to become more popular because before HGSS, most of them weren't easily obtainable early in-game like they are now. Sure, some Johto Pokemon were findable in other games (such as Chinchou in RSE), but they weren't available until after you got Dive. But now, the Pokemon that used to be hard to find have become easily obtainable to have on an in-game team.

Years
  • Usually I'd go for speedy Pokemon...
    But for some Pokemon like Amphy, Heracross, Octillery, Vileplume etc..., I have a soft spot for them. [=

I'm a speed type user myself but lately I've been using more defensive types, and yes now I've fallen for the Heracross trend myself but he's the weakest on my team and hard to lvl up so i don't see the reason for the hype.

Back