• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Featured: What are you hoping for?

Alexander18

Banned
Years
    • NZ
    • Seen Dec 29, 2017
    IDK about you but I was a god by the time I beat Sun, so I feel like another region would be better (do wish it wasn't Kanto though. I can't make a good case for any region though. sinnoh will get a remake, and all the previous ones have already had them recently enough, unova just seems odd, and kalos was last gen it'd be highly unlikely especially since it did badly for pokemon.)
    Disagree. Kalos is far superior than kanto. It did great for pokemon. I think we are likely to back there than kanto. Kanto can stay on virtual console.

pkmin3033

It definitely felt like the RBY virtual console release was specifically to placate fans who wanted Kanto postgame in SM and didn't get it, and it seems unlikely to me at least that USUM would have Kanto postgame instead. That would have been timed perfectly in SM for the 20th anniversary, and it wasn't included, so...no real reason for it to be included this time around. Especially if the player character comes from the region again, and if Lillie goes off there to be independant again.

I don't think Kalos is too likely though, since the entire region would need to be rebuilt from the ground up in SM's visual style...if the 3DS is indeed on its way out and these are the last Pokemon titles for it - which I highly doubt, but just supposing they are - it'd make more sense for another Kalos game, or Kalos postgame, to be on the Switch, rather than in USUM.

Alexander18

Banned
    Years
    • NZ
    • Seen Dec 29, 2017
    I am not expecting kalos to return but it be a better choice than kanto. Anyway, i don't expect old features from previous gens to reappear. More likely new ones.

pkmin3033

I think geographically speaking Unova would be the best postgame region...although yeah, the odds of us getting a second region postgame are painfully slight. So slight it's probably not worth mentioning. Save the multi-region gameplay for the Switch, or New 3DS-only titles.

Speaking of new features...Festival Plaza. PLEASE, GF. If you do nothing else, fix the interface for Festival Plaza so it's actually useable. Just because there are a lot of Unova comparisons to be made does not mean you have to make the bottom screen online interface shitty too like it was in those games. Please fix this.

Years
  • I am waiting for these games to be in a complete different story and not a continuation, as like a alternate universe story, indepedent of Sun and Moon

Years
  • I think that had more to do with the upcoming 20th anniversary than it doing poorly.

Or more like Game Freak wanted to stick to a 3-year lifespan. Like 5th Gen, the 6th Gen lifespan had two paired versions and one gap year before the year the next generation started.

pkmin3033

Given the drastic visual upgrade between Gen VI and VII, and the 20th Anniversary, I think it far more likely Gen VI was a testing ground more than anything else. Which is a shame, because Kalos could have done with some fleshing out. Hopefully USUM will provide the fleshing out that SM needs in terms of worldbuilding, and makes the islands feel like a connected experience, as opposed to stages.

Years
    • Seen Apr 29, 2024
    If we were to somehow go to a region this time (or even in Gen 8!), I'd prefer any region BUT Kanto.

In my honest opinion, Kanto as a region sucks and it is arguably the most generic and boring of them all, with no lore or backstory to accompany it. I say that even as a G/S baby, and I still disliked Kanto then. All of the force-fed gen-wunning hurts a little bit too, even if I know it's because of the 20th anniversary.

However, going to any region is better than none. I'd personally prefer if we went to a brand new region, however that's something that has to be saved for Gen 8.

Alexander18

Banned
    Years
    • NZ
    • Seen Dec 29, 2017
    Compared to other generations gen 6 did poorly. Why do you think it got one game?

Actually it didn't. The only one that did poorly is kanto. Kalos is better in every aspect of the game. We only got one pair of kalos because both XY and ORAS had all non event pokemon. There was no point in another gen 6 game when all pokemon were taken.

Anyway i hope for better challengers.

pkmin3033

I think we're being juuuust a little unfair here...you can hardly compare GBA titles to the 3DS titles in terms of quality or content. I know Pokemon changes very little in the grand scheme of things, but comparing FRLG to any of the 3DS titles is a bit ludicrous...I mean, if nothing else, don't forget hardware limitations. A Kanto game made now, on the 3DS, would be far more expansive than FRLG was, because the 3DS is capable of substantially more than the GBA. I'm not saying it'd be a good idea. But I AM saying it is a safe bet any Kanto game made now would incorporate all of the features and enhancements carried over through Pokemon titles through the years, and would likely expand significantly on the story as well as the content in the game.

Maybe they're a tad dated now...well, no "maybe" about it, really. But everything ages. It's from a completely different era of gaming and not really comparable with current trends in any objective fashion. If you prefer the newer titles, that's fair enough. But slamming the older titles because they're not as filled with content as newer titles - which have the benefit of more advanced hardware and expanded features built up from games that have come AFTER those games, which introduced new features themselves - completely ignores the context of the time in which they were released and is a blatantly unrealistic and unfair comparison to make. We did not get 3DS-quality titles on the GBA.

...well, mostly. Golden Sun is better than a good portion of modern JRPGs - including the awful DS sequel it spawned - and I have more fun on the Sonic Advance titles than I do some of the terrible 3D instalments...but that's neither here nor there.

Jason Wolf

The Chronicler
    Years
  • Kanto had a boring story and zero post game before FRLG. Even with Sevil Islands, FRLG still felt largely empty.

I'm refering to popularity. XY died pretty damn fast for a pokemon game. Also youre trying to compare the available activies of a gameboy game to a 3ds game. May as well be shocked that a dingy is slower than a battleship. Kanto still builds hype to this day. Kalos... I mean I think the biggest fan take away from that was shockingly enough the anime with the shipping.

Kanto was legendary for its time and it still can ride on that if the pokemon company needs it to.

MKC

Years
    • Seen Sep 2, 2023
    Gen6 didn't do poorly, in fact quite the opposite, it's the only generation to sell more than the previous one, and not only did XY sell more than BW, but they also sold nearly as much as RS despite the lower install base of the 3DS. They are also the all time best selling 3DS games, I'd say that's FAR from doing poorly. XY were also really well received with most reviews being above the 8/10s.

I however wouldn't expect to see Kalos as a postgame area as much as I'd want to, Kalos was a REALLY detailed region, with Castles, cities, plazas, ruins, trains, skating areas, etc.
    All of those would need to be made from scratch for the SM engine and that seems like it'd be a bit too much work for what would be just a post game area.

If they want to add a second region it'd sadly just be Kanto because of how easy it'd be to make, the region is so bare that 80% of it could just be made by reusing already existing SM assets, aside from a couple of buildings Kanto really has nothing unique they'd have to make from scratch.

That being said I wouldn't expect to see Kanto either, we'll probably just get some new post game areas inside the already existing Alola islands, and tbh I'd rather they add more new original content to Alola than getting an empty Kanto postgame.

Alexander18

Banned
    Years
    • NZ
    • Seen Dec 29, 2017
    I'm refering to popularity. XY died pretty damn fast for a pokemon game. Also youre trying to compare the available activies of a gameboy game to a 3ds game. May as well be shocked that a dingy is slower than a battleship. Kanto still builds hype to this day. Kalos... I mean I think the biggest fan take away from that was shockingly enough the anime with the shipping.

Kanto was legendary for its time and it still can ride on that if the pokemon company needs it to.
    Kalos still sold a fair amount of amounts. Kanto may be popular because it is the first region but it doesn't make it better. I liked XY and find it still popular in my eyes.

MegaKuriboh

Yare Yare Daze
    Years
  • I would rather we just get a Pokemon Z game to be honest, Kalos was really underdeveloped in my opinion and I'd love to see them make it better (mostly by giving us bigger challenges my god was that game easy)

Alexander18

Banned
    Years
    • NZ
    • Seen Dec 29, 2017
    I would rather we just get a Pokemon Z game to be honest, Kalos was really underdeveloped in my opinion and I'd love to see them make it better (mostly by giving us bigger challenges my god was that game easy)

If they had saved a number of pokemon for it then maybe. But they put all non event pokemon in XY and ORAS. There was no point in Z.

Also XY had the right difficulty setting. SM was too much in my opinion.

Years
    • Seen Apr 22, 2018
    Kalos had better install base penetration than virtually any game besides Sun/Moon IIRC (assuming SM end up seeling more long-term), and Kanto was not as bland as people make it out to be. Neither is particularly likely to show up in USUM, for various reasons.

Regardless, I don't expect a second region at all - while I'd welcome it, and loved the feature in the Johto games, I'd almost rather just get an expanded Alola since it felt comparatively small. Since Pokemon became a much more plot-centered game, we haven't seen a second region, and I'm not sure we'd start now on the 3DS. I'm just hoping for some cool new territory, that's all.

Back