• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What do you all think the theme around the starters is gonna be?

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
Years
  • So yeah, feel free to take any wild guess to what central theme around the starters could potentially be! For some generations, the starters were based around a certain thing such as myths, culture, RPG classes, etc. and they probably would also make a new theme to base the new starters off. What do you think they'd be?

I'll take a shot at the dark: Adaptation. So basically the starters as they progress through the stages, will change their personalities to something different, usually to get stronger or because of something happening to them during their evolution.

For example, the fire starter starts of as a constantly happy, laid back creature, but maybe, when it evolves, painful looking spikes grow out of it, and in it's final stage, it becomes an easily enraged and moves in ridiculously fast speeds. Or as the Water starter starts of as always wanting to be neat, but then once it evolves, it becomes a constantly fighting creature that actually likes to be messy. Just throwing out ideas.

After all, evo member lines don't always have to be the same as each other: Vigoroth and Feebas say hi.

So what do you guys think?

Last edited:
    Years
  • Fuecoco: Happy/energetic-looking dragon - with a pepper theme. Not sure I can see it having wings, but the thought is cool!
    Sprigatito: Dancer. Elegant look. Hopefully doesn't end up bipedal and strong-looking, but I can handle it being on its back legs if it looks more elegant.
    Quaxly: A more sassy or tough-loooking duck. Maybe even something with a cool vibe, but I feel like it would be a little similar to Inteleon (in my head, at least).

This is the further my mind has gotten with imagining how they'd look. :sweatdrop:

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    I feel like we're already getting visual indicators not just about personality, but stats too.

Fuecoco: Bulky in design, a chonk, rather spherical, makes me think Fuecoco will have a high HP / Defense stat.
    Sprigatito: Lithe, longer legs, leafy features for camouflage.. I think Grass Kitty is going to be Speed / Attack heavy.
    Quaxly: Open arms, open expression, and confident posture leaves me with the impression it'll be a strong Special Attacker.

As for a theme? I'd like to think it would be something like embracing change.

Not that the final evolutions will be the opposite of what the starters currently are, but that they might pick up a secondary typing that seems contradictory. For instance, Quaxly's final stage not becoming a Water/Flying like predicted, but instead being Water/Steel and playing more into a "marine" motif. Sprigatito becoming Grass/Dark, and really being portrayed as an apex predator. Or even Grass/Electric and making the final evo's speed more robust, but still giving a sense of ruthlessness that the NFE form doesn't have. And instead of evolving into Fire/Dragon like people are expecting.. Maybe Fuecoco's final evolution will pick up Fairy as a secondary type? Turning this very grounded-looking starter into a more whimsical, bouncy sort of Fire type that strays from this cute but fierce crocodilian depiction.

But I guess we'll find out when we find out! /shrug!

Years
  • I've never paid much heed to the fact that the starters follow a theme (which is a kinder way of saying to myself, I've never really noticed!).

Frankly, I'm hoping they don't commit too hard to a particular theme. The generation 6, 7 and 8 starters are very popular in competitive play (well, in the case of Gen 6, Greninja at least), but they're also way too closely tied to human roles. A Wizard, a Ninja, whatever Chesnaught is, a Wrestler, an Archer, a Singer (who started out as a seal with a ball), a Spy, a footballer, and a drummer. At face-value the themes don't jump right out, but the Pokémon being bipedal/humanoid is consistent across the board.

A more general theme of growth would be fine with me. Make Fuecoco turn into a more fierce skull-dragon (please, not cute with a secondary Fairy type. I want a Totodile->Feraligatr style transition, not a Popplio->Primarina).

As a fan of the series, I'll honestly say, I'd actually prefer if they DIDN'T commit so hard to a theme, and just make some cool, more natural designs. Especially looking at you, gen 8 starters - Jesus, we get it, the games are set in a British-based region. That can be communicated through the geography and the human characters, doesn't have to permeate every inch of game design. If you tie the Pokémon designs to the region's theme, it's going to look strange to see them in other regions: like seeing Stonjourner in the Scarlet/Violet trailer.

Years
    • He or They
    • Seen Jun 19, 2022
    Quaxly seems like it's going to be a pirate, which would be very cool. I really hope for the green kitty to stay quadrupedal, but if we had professions like 'pirate' (if pirate counts as a profession) then considering how grass often uses support moves maybe it would become a 'nurse', like a big fluffy nurturing kitty with a trail of kittens behind it. Probably not, we've never had a starter do the dugtrio style thing.
    Past and future seem to be the big themes, so Dragon, Knight/Princess, and Pirate are possibilities. I'd frankly hate it if the cat got a little pink dress though, that's so lazy. Green or pink flowy mane like a sorta suicune/entei/raikou kitty would be fine tho'. Or maybe 'Primitive Dragon', 'Middle Ages Pirate', 'Techno Cat'? Electric grass would be AWESOME.

Back