• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What do you think about kalos, hoenn, and alola going offline?

Days
    • Seen yesterday
    After April 8th, will anybody miss the old online kalos, hoenn, and alola regions? Luckily they don't have the power to break the games we get over time.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • It sucks, but I'm sure there will be fan servers people will be able to use to still play online through unofficial means. Either way, good riddance to the gts. Won't be missed.

Years
  • Either way, good riddance to the gts. Won't be missed.
    Honestly, it's such a shame that people sucked enough to ruin the GTS. I feel like there were too many ways to exploit it to properly filter and maintain. In theory, it's such an awesome thing to be able to hop online, search for a Pokémon you need for your dex, and offer a trade, but people just couldn't be trusted to keep it country and you had everyone looking for level 1 Zekroms.

It's always a little sad to see services like this end, if only from a human point of view; how quickly time seems to fly. But it'll be fine if the fan servers keep things moving.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    As much as the GTS has the notorious issue of being swamped with requests for level 1 legendaries and shit, I never really liked how it was removed from the games themselves and given to Home

Alpawca

🌱🌸☘️🌷
    Days
    • Age 20
    • Any
    • Seen May 2, 2024
    I'll definitely miss it, but like someone else said, I don't think things all are bleak right now as Pretendo is a project that's being worked on. It may take quite some time and less people will use it, but it's nice knowing it'll probably be there. But yeah, it sucks how the GTS in the 3DS games ended up. I've been doing some Vivillon trades with it but the amount of very clearly hacked 'mons that you can't even trade for even if you wanted to is quite annoying.

Days
    • Seen yesterday
    Yes, this may go off topic, but according to previous responses about the gts. The gen 6 gts had fair trades from time to time, the trades just get taken up really quickly. Gen 7s gts had potential, but kujira hacks broke the thing, fun fact it's a previous predecessor to pokemon homes gts. I know, I've seen my fair share of lv 1s zekroms, reshirams, Lugia, and ho-ohs as trade offers for a common Pokemon. No one would fall for such a broken trade. Do they think hackers and genners are that friendly and nice? They're not. Fair trades will vanish, due to a lack of newcomers to the game that'll even join the fan servers.

Reginald Cosmic

Big Shot
    Years
    • Age 26
    • He/Him/His
    • Seen yesterday
    I think I mentioned this before on another thread, but I bought a 2DS for if I ever need to trade-evolve a Pokemon (like Mega Alakazam or Trevenant). On that note, I later found out they gave Mega Alakazam "Trace" which is sometimes a detriment (even in single-player). I love Mega Alakazam's design, but I'll probably stick to Mega Gardevoir in a casual ORAS playthrough.

Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Seen today
    Will miss Wonder Trades. Played a role in reigniting an interest in Pokemon. Learned more about breeding because of it. Represented a good source of some random Pokemon for a playthrough (even if there were a lot of Zigzagoons, Magikarps, and Wingulls). (Built up enough to be able to replicate it by selecting a random number and transferring most Pokemon from another game, however.)

Is not bothered by losing GTS or online battles. Locked up Alola's GTS pretty badly, as mentioned.

Years
  • Wonder trades from those games will be missed. I still remember getting a random shiny magikarp and a dedenne, a pokemon I really wanted. Those types of trades always put a smile on my face.

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    Sad to hear. I still have fond memories of that one time where people were complaining about how hard it is to get an Articuno in XY due to nobody picking Chespin as their starter. I then looked for a Pokemon somebody could like, trained it up a bit, put it on trade and the next day I had my Articuno. xD

Or putting tons of Haunter into the GTS in my copy of Moon which game me the large majority of Pokemon I needed for the Pokedex in Moon including the Ultra Beasts...

Years
  • It was inevitable.
    Other than me using the PSS in ORAS to get the Clamperl trade evos done back when there was no Switch game to do it in yet I haven't used the online in 3DS games in years tbh.

Though I did raid a bunch of the games with Bank so I could send stuff to Home.

Years
  • Going offline is something I am not looking forward to today. It's been bittersweet lately to connect to the pss and see all the greetings on trainer profiles saying goodbye. I have also been encountering some really generous wonder trades lately, and can't help but feel that my streak of good fortune is related to the shutdown, like they are farewell gifts. In a short span of time I have gotten a gourgeist, a feebas holding an enigma berry, a dratini in a dream ball, hidden ability froakie, ralts, snivy, goomy and quilladin, all with some great ivs and natures, a trapinch that also had a good nature and ivs and a perfect klefki, a shiny pidgey and sneasel, and these guys don't appear hacked.

On the gts, in it's day, I thought it was a useful way of getting pokemon not found in the region you were playing, or version exclusive legendaries, that didn't cost you anything extra. I was usually the one setting the conditions, would try to make it a fair trade, and my request was normally met super fast. It was also a way to perform trade evolutions with myself before I joined this community, and had friends who were still playing pokemon games to help me.

The feature supported by online services that I will miss most is Friend Safari, my favorite shiny hunting method on XY. I can still hunt on the safaris I have without being online, but I won't be able to register new friends using the internet, and will miss being able to connect with others for this activity. I made the most of what time I had though, and filled every one of my friend card slots while I still could and am bringing literally boxes of good memories over to pokemon Home.

I am really grateful that Pokemon Bank and the Transporter will still function after the disconnect, giving me a legal way to keep moving pokemon from my 3ds, ds, advanced and virtual console games to the switch, but I bite my nails also knowing this protection could end at any time, and that day will really feel like losing the keys to the world of not only gen 7 and 6, but also, 5, 4 , 3, 2 and 1, and the other internet services shutting down have reminded me to tie up any loose ends on my old save files.

Last edited:
    Years
  • I never got wi-fi at my normal house. I had to use it either at my mom's house or at day-hab which is...very limiting. Today, I totally forgot about the shut down because for the first time in a while, I was having an actual GOOD day in day-hab. For a bit, I was "SHOOT I FORGOT!" when I got home, but it doesn't matter now for alas, it is too late. I had the opportunity to use it last weekend, but I didn't feel like visiting mom just for wi-fi access. It felt petty. *sigh* I'll really miss wonder trade, and trading to get evos. Good times. Now that the 3DS server is down, I am curious if I should get the Switch back from my brother, but it doesn't feel right to ask for it back. Don't ask long story.

My memories of 3DS wi-fi are faded for some reason. It's a mixed-feelings kind of day.

Back