• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

7th Gen What do you think of Rotom Dex?

Years
  • I really like how Rotom Dex is so helpful with directions. Whenever I don't know where to go next, I just tap on Rotom Dex and he will mark the location I need to go next.

BrandoSheriff

Has a tendency to figure things out
    Years
  • The Roto Loto was pretty helpful in my playthrough, as was the extra Z-Move it allowed me. However, the trade off was that it talked WAY too much. After every wild battle, after every trainer battle, and the second I want to open my map or look at it to see where I am, "Here's advice you didn't ask for!", forcing me to hold-skip his "advice" that I've already seen numerous times each until the map is available again. I know I could just call Charizard to see the map, but I shouldn't have to do that all the time. Definitely more annoying than in SM, at least he was tolerable there.

Years
    • Seen today
    I don't like the Rotom Dex at all. The messages come up way too much, and the way he talks isn't cute or funny.

to4ooo4

Lucario Fanatic
    Years
  • The frequent talking did bother me at times, but I personally had no qualms with Ultra Sun and Moon's Rotom Dex. I liked how they added the option to occasionally reply back; that was a nice touch in my opinion.

Last edited:

EmTheGhost

I say a lot of words
    Years
  • I...kind of sincerely love it. ;_; I got pretty attached to my little 'dex friend even in the original SuMo, so the way it has two-way conversations with you and responds to your taps makes me happy. <3 The Roto Loto powers were also useful, and not so rare that I couldn't bring myself to use them. (Instead of a pocketful of sunshine, I've got a pocketful of human/electrical ghost friendship. Awesome. ^_^)

...Although I have to agree, the advice mechanic was poorly handled and got very annoying. :| Did they have to make it so frequent, or the same 4 or 5 bits of advice every time?! Really hope it gets more varied as the game goes on...

(You know a little thing I never noticed until recently?...Nobody ever bothered to swear Rotom Dex to secrecy about Nebby! {D:} ^_^ I guess, seeing as Rotom lived in Kukui's lab for a time, it probably already knew. Still, I remember being comically shocked when I suddenly realized that in Ultra Moon, after having played the Alola games for almost a year. Haha)

to4ooo4

Lucario Fanatic
    Years
  • I...kind of sincerely love it. ;_; I got pretty attached to my little 'dex friend even in the original SuMo, so the way it has two-way conversations with you and responds to your taps makes me happy. <3 The Roto Loto powers were also useful, and not so rare that I couldn't bring myself to use them. (Instead of a pocketful of sunshine, I've got a pocketful of human/electrical ghost friendship. Awesome. ^_^)

...Although I have to agree, the advice mechanic was poorly handled and got very annoying. :| Did they have to make it so frequent, or the same 4 or 5 bits of advice every time?! Really hope it gets more varied as the game goes on...

(You know a little thing I never noticed until recently?...Nobody ever bothered to swear Rotom Dex to secrecy about Nebby! {D:} ^_^ I guess, seeing as Rotom lived in Kukui's lab for a time, it probably already knew. Still, I remember being comically shocked when I suddenly realized that in Ultra Moon, after having played the Alola games for almost a year. Haha)
    That is basically the exact same way I feel. Now that it's actually told me "Okay Roto-T, this is where I give you advice you never asked for!", it is starting to be annoying. Also, it calls me Roto-T instead of T2 because it asked if it could call me that from now on. I said yes, thinking it sounded cool. It sounded cool the first 3 times. Now, it's just a bit annoying. Soon after, it asked if it could call me Master, to which I declined, because that's... Not really in the spirit of Pokemon, I guess.

Bidoof FTW

[cd=font-family:carter one; font-size:13pt; color:
    Years
  • Maybe I'm missing something, but what about the RotoLoto is actually useful?

Most of the time I wish Rotom never had voice lines, but sometimes it's cute when he talks about a new character. He kinda gives his opinion on them.

Phyrrhic

It's not very effective...
    Years
  • It made me so irrationally annoyed that it took away from my experience rather than just falling flat like the rest of the game.

Its inclusion seems to follow a recent Japanese fad wherein the protagonist is given a flying partner that fulfills no narrative or serious role, but rather acts as an anthropomorphized cell phone.

It reminded me of being a kid when my parents would constantly ask me rhetorical questions like, "Did you enjoy dinner?" or "you really seemed to like ___!" when, yes I clearly enjoyed dinner because I ate it. This completely removes me from the experience of a role playing game when I constantly reminded of what just happened ("why don't you take a look at the Pokemon you just caught!") every time something happens which seems to imply that me/my character is too stupid to understand what is happening around me without assistance, or that I am too daft to open up my Pokedex on my own without a ghost reminding me that, I did, in fact, just catch a new Pokemon.

Years
  • Can't stand him in USUM. At least once you beat the game in SM he would say a line every time you start the game and that was the end of it. But now he just doesn't stop talking. I wish they would have made it a little less annoying by turning off hints being an option >~>

Keiran

[b]Rock Solid[/b]
    Years
  • I wish you could disable the constant talking. It really takes enjoyment away from the game.

Years
    • Seen Jan 15, 2018
    To me i both love and hate Rotomdex.

But he gets on my nerves for real sometimes.

Sometimes i want to check my map, and he keeps talking. Everytime i leave a battle, he talks.

And the worst thing is that he even repeats what he says. Ive gotten so many things like "change hair" quotes in a row i am surprised Nintendo havent made him be more quiet yet.

Everytime i catch a low health pokemon and put it on my team, he keeps reminding me to heal it. I click no, but he still reminds me. This is just bad design. I am surprised that a big company like Nintendo could put out crap like this.

And the biggest sin is the sad eyes. Everytime im doing something and pause my 3DS and come back, he looks sad. Like really. Why should i click on him every damn time i eat or something?

There are also positive things about him, like when he interacts with me about what is going on with the story, when he gives me a rotomroll and when he asks me to take pics for my evolved pokemons etc. I wish he could follow me around like Pikachu in pokemon yellow.

So its a mix. I still have no clue what Nintendo was thinking when they decided to make him say the same damn lines everytime i left a battle. The lines should only maximum happen once a day. And also, Rotomdex should shut up when i answer it no about wanting to heal a pokemon i caught using False Swipe. You asked me once, i clicked that its not a problem and i can keep it low health, dont ask me it again for fivethousand times.

This is my feedback to Nintendo. I like Rotomdex when it gives me stuffs and asks me stuffs when some event happens, but it should not worry alot about my pokemon teams status and should not chat about my hair (im bald so like whats the point) everytime i am done with a battle.

Pokemon Ultra sun/Ultra moon is the games i like the most of the lines but man can you atleast just change this Nintendo so i can give it a 100/100 score instead of a 95/100:P?

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen today
    For me, the Rotom Dex is more of a nuisance than anything, both in SM and in USUM. It usually tells me stuff I already know, or have no use for whatsoever. And the worst thing is that I can't freely toggle between Rotom and the map; I have to wait for Rotom to shut up before I can see the map. Honestly, I'm starting to believe that the Rotom Powers are the only good thing coming out of the Rotom Dex, and I haven't even used those.

I still like Rotom itself, though. But not the Rotom Dex.

Years
    • Seen Jan 15, 2018
    I want to add that Rotomdex asked me to save 3 seconds after i saved the game. Honestly Nintendo?

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
    Years
  • I love it and I feel legitimately sad for all the hate its updated USUM version gets. It's so cute! Is it really bugging you just to have some fun text scrolling by on the bottom screen, or having to wait half a second extra to open a map? I just don't see it.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • I want to smash it with a hammer to be honest. It doesn't bother me as much now since I don't need the map. But god, I could never look at the map because it would never shut up. It was very annoying. I hope it or anything like it never returns to the game unless we can dis-enable the talking.

Last edited:
    Back