• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

7th Gen What do you think of Rotom Dex?

Years
    • Seen Jan 15, 2018
    I love it and I feel legitimately sad for all the hate its updated USUM version gets. It's so cute! Is it really bugging you just to have some fun text scrolling by on the bottom screen, or having to wait half a second extra to open a map? I just don't see it.

Just wait until he wants to give you your nickname to Rotom-X.

He will talk after every single battle, and block your map access for about 15-20 seconds each time. And sometimes even for 1 minute because this thing might want to talk about different things.

This is unacceptable. I would be fine if he gave me a chitchat sometimes and gave me Rotompower. But i want to change this game to Pkmn Gold after a while. I tried finding Pokemon and tried looking at the map the same time and that made me want to storm Nintendo and force them to either make him quiet or make me refund this game.

Its sad because it is the best pokemon game. It almost becomes unbearable after you decide Rotom to give you a nickname. This is not 1 second you cant click on map. This is over five seconds every single time you leave a battle.

When i started this game i wondered why everyone hated Rotomdex. I liked that he interacted with me and gave me tips, talked about events and gave me free items.

After i clicked yes on him giving me a nickname, the hell started. If there is someone that can show me to bug this game to make him stop talking this much without making his eyes annoyingly green and sad, id be happy.

I dont think Nintendo will fix it. I walked into game freak and the lead npc asked if you liked his Rotomdex. So it means that one of the lead designers are the mastermind behind this crap.

Noone hates Rotomdex fully. I bet EVERYONE would be fine with Rotomdex/love it if Nintendo decided to remove the "Hi this is where i give you advice you didnt ask for" bs. Nintendo is aware that Rotomdex is talking too much. Its sad.

Listen. I tried getting a rare pokemon, and this Rotomdex gave me the EXACT SAME LINE OF TIPS in a row after the battles about how i can change my hairstyles.

And many times a SECOND after i saved, this guy asks me if i want to save this game.

Btw once again for the hundreth time, Rotomdex wasted my time and asked me what i think about professor Kukui. If he got such a short memory, isnt it better to just throw him away and use a real Pokedex?

I want Rotomdex. I want him to follow me like Pikachu. So if i talk to him, he acts like a PC. This way he becomes both cute and much less annoying.

Edit: forgot to say this. 50% of the time Rotom says hes going to give me advice, he becomes quiet again, like the game became selfaware and wanted to make him be quiet. Lol.

Last edited:

LilyGardy

The Flowering Pokemon
    Years
    I think the Rotom-Dex is overall cute and helpful even if he has an odd habit of saying something after every battle. I don't tend to ever use the map anyway though so it isn't a problem.

I like it when he can ask you questions and you can answer them which usually results in a Roto-Loto.

He calls my character 'Roto-N' which is cute although I declined when he asked to call me 'Master'.

blue

gucci
    Years
    I like the Rotom Dex, it's a useful device for when you need it. The interactions and Roto Loto updates in USUM made it even better imo!

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    It does speak extremely frequently, and its advice does indeed seem to be limited to a handful of lines.

How much one likes/dislikes Rotom-Dex largely depends I guess on how much the frequency of its speech bothers a person

string555

Banned
    Years
    The roto lottery is very useful, especially since I often seem to get the ones I need at the time (Roto exp/Roto Hatch).

However, they should have also included a roto item called 'Roto Duct Tape'. Using it shuts Rotom's mouth for 15 whole minutes straight. :D

Seriously though, I was in the Battle Tree the other day, and at some point I noticed that in between battles, Rotom was still down there blabbing away. There's not even a way to interact with him while in there! XD

Lysander

girl power ftw
    Years
    Talks too much, but the Roto Powers are very helpful. So I kind of like and dislike Rotom Dex at the same time.

Last edited:
    Years
    Rotom does still annoy me, but thankfully less worse this time around because of the useful Roto Powers. I often abuse Prize Money and Exp. Points a lot when I grind against the Elite Four. Boost was also one that had saved my life a few times when I faced a tough boss.

Last edited:

Adam Levine

[color=#ffffff][font="Century Gothic"]I have tried
    Years
    The Rotom Dex in SM was fine.

The Rotom Dex is pretty much the Pokémon version of Navi and can sometimes make the game way too easy. There were times they were genuinely useful, though they sometimes took the challenge of the game away.

Last edited:

KipKap

Inactive
    Years
    • Seen Apr 18, 2019
    I think it's a cute feature, and pretty dang helpful too. I get kinda annoyed by how often it'll tell me things I already know, or bring up the Roto-Loto way too often, but the little Rotom Powers are quite a treat, I love being able to use Z-moves more than once, and honestly if the RotomDex didn't give me directions sometimes I'd be totally stuck! So yeah, he's pretty neat.

pikaszablak

best girl
    Years
    While the Roto loto and Rotom Z move is awesome, on the flip side they made it really annoying. Every time I leave the screen or encounter a Pokemon it automatically starts talking with advice I have heard a million times. And to make matters worse you can't turn it off.

Years
    Easy and fun. Rotom rewards buffs the gaming experiences, such as Rotom Hatch or Rotom Bargains. Hatching is now faster and makes it possible to hatch a shiny. However; there is a flaw. The statements the Rotom Dex says to the player can get annoying or weird. For my Ultra Moon game it calls me Master. Other times it asks whether I wanted to be in a pokedex or a poke ball. So, the Rotom Dex can be an extra help but with a weird vibe at times.

Years
    • Seen Apr 3, 2019
    Have to agree with the main consensus - occasionally useful, but mostly astonishingly annoying. Like most of the NPCs in Sun & Moon, I found myself desperately wanting it to just shut up for a second and let me play the game.

Also, this may just have been me being dumb, but I found the actual touch-screen interface really anti-intuitive. Things you think are buttons that lead to a menu or something wind up just causing Rotom to wiggle about a bit.

Back