• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What do you think of the Action Replay users?

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
Years
I've always used an action replay, always have, always will. I limit myself to what I use it for, though. I only use it for game enhancing codes such as x2 movement and instant messages; and on occasion, x2 EXP if I'm struggling. Sometimes I may even use 100% catch, rebattle trainers and all items but mostly I just use the x2 movement and instant messages.

Oh and I like to use the instant shaking grass/dust cloud etc for BW2.

As for people who use them; it's their game let them do what they want. If they want to use the device for activating codes that basically make the game pointless (complete the Pokedex etc) and could possibly corrupt the data let them do it. No one has any right to judge others for using a cheat device.

Years
I don't really care since I used to be an AR user myself back during the Diamond & Pearl days. People are free to do whatever they want so long as it doesn't negatively affect my or anyone else's gameplay.

Years
As long as I don't see some guy rocking a Jolteon with Quiver Dance in their moveset and Multiscale as their ability, I say let them do whatever. From a competitive aspect, it just takes too long to EV Train, get perfect IVs (Or certain IVs for certain Hidden Power types, which is even LONGER), getting the right nature...

It's just too much. A lot of these reasons are why I just use GTS Uploaders, or battle on online simulators (unless my friends happen to be too lazy to want to use the computer based stuff, or legit cannot), because the time invested really isn't worth it in the long run IMO.

TreeKangaroo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Years
I really don't care, since it's not hurting anyone. And besides, I have one, and use it for say events I missed. And I used mine in HG/SS for the coins in the game corner. I'm not wasting time in voltorb flip just for 10,000 coins!

Altair1

Willpower
Years
Well, this is my opinion...

I think it is unfair that people use cheats to obtain the 'perfect' Pokemon, get max items, level up easily, etc.
To be honest it kinda confuses me how some people think they can't win if their Pokemon isn't 'perfect' seriously...
It isn't how the game is meant to be played as a whole. It's giving AR uses an advantage over people who play the game by the rules.
Cloning is another thing I have a problem with, people trade off their Pokemon who will never be seen again for another one yet the other person has doubles...

Of course it takes a lot of time to accomplish things like EV training and breeding but it isn't that hard at all. People who use cheats can never 'feel' their accomplishments since they know they used a device to help them obtain whatever they want. I guess that is a fair trade though. People shouldn't feel 'pressured' to cheat either.

I've never used a cheating device and I never will, it's unnecessary and takes the fun out of the game in my view. I'm not bashing on anyone who uses a device, just saying that I dislike the convenience it gives to players compared to people who play fair.

All that being said, I don't mind versing someone who used an AR to get all their Pokemon 'perfect', shiny and what not. But I do mind if someone trades me a hacked Pokemon. There seems to be a lot in circulation these days. Again, just making it clear that I don't have anything against people who cheat, just stating my opinion.

d

As long as they're not spamming others with hacks, people can do whatever the hell they want with their pokemon games. Therefore I don't have any negative opinion on them.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Feb 20, 2024
I only use Action Replay when I really wanna get certain Event Pokémon that I missed(like the Spiky-Eared Pichu) or when I'm supposed to hack something in for a challenge, like a Pokémon of my chosen type if I can't get one in game by the 3rd Gym in a Monotype (that usually applies to types like Ice and the less common ones that usually show up late game tho xD)
Oh and sometimes when I get fed up of playing at the Game Corner or when I'm in a hurry and got no time to spend on the game corner. But I try not to abuse that one ^^
Oh and I used a code that shows your Pokémon's EVs and IVs on HG/SS when I first EV trained a team, because I couldn't keep track of it due to my short attention span.

Most people RNG for those "perfect" Pokémon. I haven't really met anyone to use AR to get flawless Pokémon before so I think you're a tad confused because RNG abuse is not the same thing as using AR xD RNG abuse is basically knowing your numbers and abusing the random generated numbers thingy or w/e xD

Altair1

Willpower
Years
Most people RNG for those "perfect" Pokémon. I haven't really met anyone to use AR to get flawless Pokémon before so I think you're a tad confused because RNG abuse is not the same thing as using AR xD RNG abuse is basically knowing your numbers and abusing the random generated numbers thingy or w/e xD

I'm aware of that, but not all people know how to RNG (myself included), so they'll use an AR to obtain Pokemon with preferred IV's, shiny and what not...

Emburn

<3
Years
I don't really like when People use action replays. The game was designed to be challenging and designed to be played a certain way. I'm not gonna stop you from using it, but if you can't play it correctly and then say how great you are, I don't think I will respect you.

pompayyy

Forever and Ever
Years
I like using action replays for fun, not cheating. In HG/SS there's this code that allows you to change your character's sprite into a Pokemon or NPC (haven't found one for Zangoose :( ) and there's one that puts all areas in the Lighthouse-like 3D perspective, both of which are TONS of fun to mess around with. But using them to just skip to level 100 or stuff like that is lame.

pokemasta92

3rd Gen. Enthusiast
Years
  • Age 31
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 28, 2021
I think it's great that people use Action Replay, just like I think it's great that people don't use it. If you like using cheats, use them. If you don't, then don't. I hate it when people put people down and say it ruins the game. That is purely an opinion and a cheat code that might ruin the game for you might make it more enjoyable for someone else. There are certain games that I don't like to cheat on at all. There are also certain games that I never play without cheat codes and it makes the game a lot more fun for me.

Shrew

is a Shrew
Years
Trading:
1. The person you're trading with must know that the pokemon you're trading is hacked/cloned.
2. This means the only time you should trade hacks on the GTS is if a person makes a request that can only be obtained from hacking (e.g, lv9 Zekrom. Watch them suffer. >:])

Story Mode:
1. If you're going to use them for in-game achievements, you should NOT brag about it to your friends. It's fine if that's the only way you can beat these things, but don't pass it off as if you tried as hard as everyone else.
2. Perfectly fine for randomizing runs, but once again, don't brag.

Multiplayer Battling:
1. Do not use hacks unless if your opponent knows about it.
2. Do not use "legit" hacks unless if your opponent knows about it. This includes hacked items, such as obtaining more than one lefties.

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
Years
After finding out the latest AR firmware works on the 3DS I said "**** it" and performed some genetic engineering on my legendaries.

I'll make a short list of why AR codes or outside intervention of any kind (RNG, PokéGen) are a necessity for any serious Pokémon player.

1) IVs. That should be obvious. Breeding minimizes the randomness of IVs, but still makes it nearly impossible to get a flawless Pokémon (which, for reasons I won't discuss in this post, has become the standard of competitive play) or a Pokémon with a certain Hidden Power type.

2) The fact GF refuses to make IVs/EVs official. It's a hidden mechanic in the game. Every other RPG has a screen in which they show the skill points of the characters. In Pokémon, all you know is the final stat, which is a result of a calculation involving the base stat, IVs and EVs. Especially EVs are crucial for maximizing the potential of a Pokémon, but they're hidden in all games.

3) All of this info is hidden from the player, but that doesn't stop GF from giving NPC trainers in the Battle Subway/PWT Pokémon with perfect IVs and smart EV spreads, as a way to cheat the player.

4) Scarce availability of evolutionary items. In the 1st gen you could buy evolution stones. After that, GF has created gimmicky ways of getting evo items each gen, sometimes only allowing the player to get one (yes, ONE) of each item, like in Gold and Silver. They have been making the life of players easier, but it's still not ideal. A simple mechanic they could use is to allow evo items to be held by wild Pokémon that evolve by such items, but it seems they are too thick to think of that.

5) Scarce availability of TMs and/or ridiculous requirements for teaching Pokémon certain moves. HGSS had tutors which cost BP, and farming BP is very time consuming and not rewarding at all. In 4th gen and prior, TMs were single use and some of them (specifically the ones given by gym leaders) were only available once. In 5th gen, certain TMs cost a hefty amount of BP. Shards, while an interesting method to provide currency to Move Tutors, aren't that great because only in the latest game of the series B2W2 there's a way to efficiently farm for Shards.

6) Breeding takes too long. B2W2 included the Nursery, which helps a lot with hatching eggs, but without it, and even with a Flame Body Pokémon, breeding is basically mindless cycling back and forth until the Pokémon mate and the eggs hatch. This sort of mechanic is why RPGs are widely criticized by detractors of the genre for having boring gameplay.

tl;dr The problem with Pokémon is that, for a game focused on multiplayer and online battles, the preparation part of it simply takes too much time and effort. Older players are handicapped, and newer players give up before even trying. If things were more accessible, there wouldn't even be a need for simulators. Basically, Pokémon is like professional cycling, according to Lance Armstrong: you must cheat to win.

And therefore I will cheat.

atomtanned

Delinquent
Years
  • Seen Oct 17, 2022
Pulling out the logic of your post, it's like saying no one cares if you rape or kill or "play" with your neighbor's wife and daughter since you live in a free, democratic country. People still have to keep a fair and moderate responsibility for their actions, especially if they're bound to trampling over someone else's "rights", or "morals" if they overdo whatever they're doing.

This seems more than a bit extreme. Let's not forget, even if you are traded a hacked Pokemon (against your wishes) -- of course, it's infuriating and not right, but this is JUST A GAME. I don't think it's necessary to compare hacking a video game to rape & murder.

lemonhihi

S1lv3rRay
Years
I usually just mess with the wild pokemon modifier code since I am an offline user and not able to get my scizor and some gen 1 & 2 pokemon (in black2). So getting a level 5 scizor and my fav pokemon from gen 1 -2 in the early game helps alot.

Years
  • Seen Jul 20, 2016
One time I tried completing the main part of the game (beginning of the game to Pokémon League) in Pearl as a test, twice: Once while using cheats, once without any at all. I have to say, using cheats takes some of the excitement away. That is just me, though.

LyokoGirl5000

Lyoko Princess
Years
I think you should be able to do what you want on your own single player game. I've used Action Replay to quickly level up my team, get infinite TMs and get max stat Pokemon. But, I would never use Action Replay online. I have a separate team that hasn't been touched by Action Replay for online use, I only trade Pokemon that have never been Action Replayed, etc. As long as you're not affecting anyone else's game, it's fine.

Years
  • Seen Sep 12, 2016
If you mess up the IVs, possess any illegal moves, Pokemon and items that were obtained from AR, then that's plain wrong.

If you use it to fasten egg hatch, to fasten EV training like having Pidgeot appear in a location to train Speed, then I see no problems.

Nevertheless they are still called cheating, and same using for editors as well, whether the intentions are good or bad.

Back