• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What Game is the Easiest to Complete the Pokedex in?

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
    What Pokemon game do you think it's easiest to complete the regional or national Pokedex in? This can be a combination of things, such as a "catch 'em all" like the youtuber Johnstone does, or through many different means. On the opposite side of that, what do you think are the hardest games to complete the Pokedex in?

In my opinion, by the way, I think the easiest game to get a complete Pokedex are these games: R/g/B/Y and LG/PE, D/P/PT, HG/SS, all of the Generation Six games and Sword/Shield.

Here's why I think this:

-R/G/B/Y are the first games. There's only 151 Pokemon to get. There are a lot of Pokemon that you can just use/exploit glitches to obtain. There are some Pokemon that need to be traded to get, and the starters to get out of the way, but it's not really that difficult, especially on the virtual console version.

And LGPE, while I've never played them, a lot of Pokemon that were never available in the wild are now easy to get. Such as: the starters, stone evolutions and etc. I never play LGPE, though, so my opinion is just based on what I've seen from Johnstone's video on it.

-D/P/PT and HG/SS: The fourth generation games are easy to complete the Pokedex in because there's many outside methods you can use to complete them. In Diamond/Pearl, besides catching Pokemon, there's many methods you can do to get Pokemon by yourself. There's Pal Park, The dongle method, swarms, the pokeradar, post game areas with Pokemon from outside Sinnoh/Johto, breeding, the underground, and Hoenn and Sinnoh radio stations (HG/SS only). You can also now take into account that trading is wireless and very easy now. And back in the day, you could trade without even needing another DS. Nintendo Wifi may have been in its infancy back then, but let's give credit where credit's due.

I personally was able to complete the National Dex in HHeartGold due to how easily accessible it was to do so. Migrating Pokemon upward from generation III really helped, and to some extent, getting Pokemon from the Pokewalker did, too. And, okay, having two DSes to trade with myself also did, but you get the point.

-Generation Six as a whole: For one thing, the Kalos Pokedex had over 400 Pokemon in it. And there are many things you complete the Pokedex on your own, too. There's the Poke transporter service that was introduced during this generation which you can (for a price) transport Pokemon from all the way back from Generation I (virtual console version) up to the gen five games. There's also the fact Shauna will give you another starter in a trade, and other factors to put into perspective here such as the return of the PokeRadar, Friend Safaris, and of course, a new feature known as Wonder Trade. In Wonder Trade, you could trade randomly with anyone in the world, and get any Pokemon. Getting online in this generation was also the easiest it's ever been, so trading with a random NPC was relatively simple. Unlike in the generations before because you needed a friend code. OR/AS also had the DexNav which had a lot of cool hidden Pokemon to catch.

-Sword/Shield: While I haven't completed the Pokedex, personally. I feel like in these games, it's pretty easy to get a complete Galar Pokedex due to the Wild Area. Since there's, at present, only 400 Pokemon that you need to collect Pokedex entries for. But, what I think makes the Galar dex the easiest is these factors: the raid dens, and Pokemon Home. And yes, the Wild Area, of course, as I said above. Especially Pokemon Home since you can easily put Pokemon from your multiple save files into one save file. I did this to get myself a Grookey and Scorbunny without trading. I do know some of the trade evolution Pokemon are available in the wild, too, so it's no longer really necessary to trade.

As for the hardest...

Generation III as a whole. but I've already posted a thread about that and don't want to repeat myself again. So yeah.

And now, for the other generations, where I don't know how I'd classify...

-G/S/C: I never played G/S/C outside of an emulator. But, what I do know is that the only Pokemon that aren't available in G/S are the Kanto starters, the Kanto fossils and the Kanto legendaries. So, I'd imagine it's not extremely difficult to complete the Pokedex in the original Johto games. But, you can trade between the Gen II and gen I games to get those missing Pokemon. But, obviously, no one these days has a link cable, so if you're playing on an original game boy color, well, rip. Considering nowadays, though, the G/S/C games are on virtual console and trading is wireless in those versions, I'd imagine it's much, much easier to complete the Pokedex in that version.

Generation V: I'd say this generation is moderately easy to complete the Pokedex in, but it's just more tedious. Especially in the original B/W games, since the postgame didn't really add that many of the non Unova Pokemon to the wild. But you can transfer your older Pokemon in from generation IV, and I guess trading from Wifi wasn't too bad during this time period. I've only managed to see all the Pokemon in the Unova Pokedex in Black2, and see all the Pokemon in the national Dex in White, so I guess that shows how much I cared to do it.

Gen VII: These games don't have a national Pokedex, so I can at least abstain from that aspect. To be honest, I've never bothered trying to complete the Alola Pokedex. And, I probably won't. But, from the methods available, I don't think it'd be difficult. There's only 302 Pokemon in Alola's original Pokedex. But, what I think holds this generation back from getting a living dex is the Festival Plaza being annoying to navigate. That's pretty much why I don't want to bother.

That's it, though from me. Give your thoughts on what you think are the hardest and easiest games to get a complete Pokedex in.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 29
    • he/him/his
    • Seen Jun 12, 2024
    I think DPP requires an unreasonable amount of grinding honestly. I agree with your other choices. The Gen 2 games were also pretty easy.

Years
    • Seen May 5, 2024
    Why do you say that shield is the easiest Pokémon game to complete?

Duck

🦆 quack quack
    Years
    • he, they
    • Seen Feb 23, 2023
    Why do you say that shield is the easiest Pokémon game to complete?

Probably because the Wild Area / DLC allows you to capture a lot of Pokémon at an evolution level already, the abundance of Exp Candies and PokéJobs make grinding / leveling up easy as well.

And given Wonder Trade / WiFi Trading getting the few other Pokémon that are annoying like exclusives and the other starters is a lot easier than in other games.

Years
    • Seen May 19, 2024
    It could be totally imposible to complete the Pokedex on Pokemon Red/Blue. Pokemon Yellow's Pokedex is extremely hard to complete- you have considerably complete Red and Blue 6 times.

Duck

🦆 quack quack
    Years
    • he, they
    • Seen Feb 23, 2023
    It could be totally imposible to complete the Pokedex on Pokemon Red/Blue. Pokemon Yellow's Pokedex is extremely hard to complete- you have considerably complete Red and Blue 6 times.

For a legit run, yeah, it can be very complicated, in part due to the lack of breeding.

On the other hand, RBY have more holes than a block of Swiss Cheese, so with a few memory shenanigans getting all Pokémon without ever trading is actually feasible.

It depends on your philosophy to getting the Pokedex, I suppose.

Sweet Serenity

Advocate of Truth
    Years
    Perhaps Pokémon Sword was the easiest game for me to complete the PokéDex in, mainly because many of the game's Pokémon existed in the overworld, including the fully-evolved Pokémon.

I never completed the full dex in SwSh so I can't say, but I personally had an easy time in XY and ORAS. From what I remember a lot, if not all, of non-event Pokémon are catchable there in some way, plus wifi is more easily accessible than a link cable for regional variation trades. These were the last games I completed the dex in iirc before I got lazy haha.

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    I would say since the advent of trading over the internet, whichever is the current generation is easiest as you can find plenty of people to trade with. Poké Transporter is the worst inter-generational transfer I've used (can't comment on Time Capsule) as its possible for a Pokémon to hide in the grass for the entire minigame, so Gen V would never be in contention given how many Pokémon have to be transported over from either the short-lived (and limited) Dream World or Gen IV. Likewise Gen VII as if it doesn't even tell you how many Pokémon there are, how can you catch them all?

Although I haven't got far enough to attempt to capture the legendaries yet, LGPE seems the easiest. Only 153 Pokémon, and you only need to partner with 1 other game - Go - to catch 'em all. Plus some generous trades and gifts such as the three starters and the ability to purchase evolution stones and there's really no excuse not to complete it!

Years
    Honestly legends, the only one I've completed
    No trades required
    Easy to get evolution items
    Exp candies for easy level ups for easy evolves
    If you play the game normally you'll probably complete most of it anyway

Back