• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen What Gen 5 Pokemon would you pick to use as your starter?

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen today
I find that Watchog has a degree of usefulness to it as well, especially with learning moves like Hypnosis and Thunder Wave which make it handy for catching Pokemon. Don't get me wrong, Patrat does start out good and while it tends to get outclassed later on, it's still not a bad Pokemon.
It's also great because of the coverage it can earn through learning TMs. Flamethrower, Shadow Ball, Thunderbolt... A Watchog might not be good at the attacks, but it's handy to have around in the game for backup.

Plus, as I neglected to say in my first post, I do like Watchog's design. The cheeks on that thing are adorable. Same with Patrat's wee tail.

Oh, and I just saw that PikachuandEevee also likes Patrat! Guess we'll be the Patrat trainers!

atmmachine11

Jumping portals since 1997.
Years
Ayyy more Scraggy love. Well, gen 5 is one of my favorite generations of all time, with that being said I would be happy with almost any of them being my starter. However, at the end of the day I would have to go with Scraggy since he is in my top 3 favorite Pokemon of all time.

Dreg

Done after the GT.
Years
  • Seen Jul 11, 2016
I would definitely go with Gothita as Gothorita is my favorite pokemon of all time. I think the only trouble it would have from the beginning is Dark/Bug types, but once it has the support to best those types, it can be a useful pokemon to have.

Years
  • Age 27
  • OH
  • Seen Feb 26, 2024
I'm with Dreg on this one, I want to start with a Gothita! I've always liked that Pokémon. Other than that I also think it would be fun to start with a Blitzle or an Emolga.

MarioManH

top kek
Years
I despise most Pokemon this generation had to offer, but one managed to rank in my Top Pokemon. Scraggy would take the cake by far. I've ditched my starters after reaching route 4 in all 4 games to pick up this monstrosity. It's design is completely well done, and it has a nice move pool to work with (Crunch, Brick Break, Facade) but also can carry the ability Moxie (Attack raises by 1 Stage after KOing a Pokemon) which allows for easy sweeps. The E4 also consists of Dark, Psychic and Ghost which Scrafty just eats.

Life

[FONT="Poiret One"][color=#aaaaaa]Perception of Re
Years
If I couldn't pick a starter (Snivy) I'd probably like to start off with a Timburr. It's strong and I like the fact that it has 3 evolutions as it gives me more time to invest into.

TheLegendaryGuy

The greatest Ash Ketchum fan!
Years
I would choose a lilipup. I know that it isn't a very tough pokemon, but its last evolution, stoutland, is a great one and i feel lilipup would be the best wild mon to be a starter.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
This is a p cool discussion/idea. :)

Originally, back in the Unova days I'd have gone with Lillipup but damn it I'm going to miss Emboar.

I despise most Pokemon this generation had to offer, but one managed to rank in my Top Pokemon. Scraggy would take the cake by far. I've ditched my starters after reaching route 4 in all 4 games to pick up this monstrosity. It's design is completely well done, and it has a nice move pool to work with (Crunch, Brick Break, Facade) but also can carry the ability Moxie (Attack raises by 1 Stage after KOing a Pokemon) which allows for easy sweeps. The E4 also consists of Dark, Psychic and Ghost which Scrafty just eats.

Ayyy more Scraggy love. Well, gen 5 is one of my favorite generations of all time, with that being said I would be happy with almost any of them being my starter. However, at the end of the day I would have to go with Scraggy since he is in my top 3 favorite Pokemon of all time.
I agree, Scraggy would be awesome. However since it's only a starter, it'll most likely be like a wild Scraggy...which means it can't be bred to have Dragon Dance etc. It's cool in general but once you get a DD Scrafty in game you never go back. It's probably something to consider (and if it DID have access to all that, would it be deemed too broken to be a starter?)

Axew! The coolest and cutest dragon. Also evolves into one of my favorite pokemon of all time, Haxorus.
I'm surprised more people didn't outright choose a dragon type. By far one of the strongest types, there's no fairy type to annoy them and you don't face any other dragons until later in the game. Same for steel types. It's literally a no lose situation.

FireSnow

Show me that Fighting Spirit
Years
I would choose a lilipup. I know that it isn't a very tough pokemon, but its last evolution, stoutland, is a great one and i feel lilipup would be the best wild mon to be a starter.

I agree with this a lot, Stoutland would be great to have and Lillipup probably a top 3, if not the best, Pokemon in the series for a beginner trainer. I also would love to have a Tympole since I love Seismitoad, or a Sewaddle, that thing is adorable and the whole line is great one to use!

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen May 2, 2016
I think he's 5 offered the worst ever pokemon. The best wishes series was an upset after its predecessors. I mean till Diamond and Pearl the anime was just perfect.
But I feel that get 6 is the best Pokemon anime series ever. I wish that Ash wins the Kalos League, defeats the elite 4 but loses to the Kalos region champion in a very close match. Yeah as close as the last battle of ash in Jotho league. so that the Ash's journey doesn't come to an end. ??????

TheLegendaryGuy

The greatest Ash Ketchum fan!
Years
I agree with this a lot, Stoutland would be great to have and Lillipup probably a top 3, if not the best, Pokemon in the series for a beginner trainer. I also would love to have a Tympole since I love Seismitoad, or a Sewaddle, that thing is adorable and the whole line is great one to use!

Even i like Seismitoad a lot. So Tympole would be good. But Sewaddle...

Years
I would pick either from Larvesta or Timburr.
Fire-types are my all-time-favourite and I love Volcarona.
I didn't liked Fighting-types till Gen III... but after using Lucario & Conkeldurr, it's one of my fav. Type. Choosing one out of this two is difficult but i will go with Timburr.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
I would pick either from Larvesta or Timburr.
Fire-types are my all-time-favourite and I love Volcarona.
I didn't liked Fighting-types till Gen III... but after using Lucario & Conkeldurr, it's one of my fav. Type. Choosing one out of this two is difficult but i will go with Timburr.

Larvesta would be an awesome starter. Despite evolving later in life, it'd be a huge test of your skills as a trainer. Moveset-wise unless you're using TMs you might as well wait for it to become a Volcarona. So really it would provide the ultimate test: is it worth persevering and maybe not even getting to evolve by e4? If you are bored of the basic game play that answer is easily yes.

Not me though. I like being able to get through the games quickly and although Volcarona would be an awesome reward for working hard I just couldn't do that.

jappo

[b]Thank you for being you![/b]
Years
Rowlett looks like a lot of fun, other than that Tynamo. That little fellow looks harmless, but can still pack some punches (even thought its a fish). And we all now how awesome it becomes at its final evolution.

Midi

Charming Ghost~
Years
Definitely Litwick, since it evolves into Chandelure, one of my overall favorite Pokemon.

Back