• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen What Gen 5 Pokemon would you pick to use as your starter?

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
I would pick Solosis or Gothita, because they're both cute and strong. I like their final evolutions too

Both of them are like... complete opposites. You can't pick one team, you gotta be Team Solosis or Team Gothita!

Although with that said... Gothita would be best to start with. Reuniclus is so incredibly slow and in-game you really want something fast and strong. Gothita's easily the best starter choice outta them... unless ofc you want a challenge which is OK too. C:

faf

[b][color=#1acc14]Queen of Dragons[/color][/b]
Years
This has been said before but I'd pick Scraggy easily. Evolves into my overall favourite Pokemon and is so good in terms of battling! If there are EMs, such as Dragon Dance, it would turn an already good Pokemon into a machine (I have used a max speed EV'd DD Scrafty in a playthrough before and it's amazing to see opponents being knocked out before it). But yeah, I also think it would start with level up moves.

thedestinedblade

Radiant Cool Boy
Years
Everybody hates on the Gen 5 designs, but they've produced some of my favorites. Druddigon might be favorite Gen 5 pokemon, but I don't think it fit as a starter, lol. I think I'd go with someone like Joltik. It's cute, has a unique typing, and is pretty decent once it's evolves. Plus, isn't it small enough to fit on your fingertips? {:3}

Sirfetch’d

Unova had some pretty sweet Pokemon so this is not an easy decision :[ I'd probably pick either Frillish or Vullaby as both are a part of my favorite gen 5 Pokemon lines. Frillish would probably make a better starter though as it has a little bit more offensive power compared to Vullaby.

Nolafus

Aspiring something
Years
I'd actually start with Venipede, instead of another grass type. I've always liked the Scolipede line for the design and potentially devastating power, and I think it would be fun to train one up from the beginning.

I'm sorry grass types, for I have betrayed you.

FireSnow

Show me that Fighting Spirit
Years
I actually think I've changed my mind from my previous thoughts. After using one in a recent playthrough, I would have to go with Golett. I've become a major fan of this Pokemon and its evolution and I think it would make a perfect starting partner in the Unova region

Flower

✿ flower keeper ✿
Years
Hm.. I'm really not sure, actually! It's a tie for me between Scraggy and Rufflet. Cottonee's also high up there too. ; __ ; I don't wanna pick aaa. I love them all ; ;

Volcarona

then live beautifully until the end
Years
I'd pick Larvesta just to see what it feels like using an non-fully evolved Pokemon until the elite four / level 59, whichever arrives first. XD

Other than that probably Cottonee, Litwick, or Joltik. They're so cute and round. ;o;

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
Years
I think Zorua! It's really fun and it's a unique Pokemon as well. Other than Zorua, maybe Minccino? If it were allowed to have its Hidden Ability. Skill Link Cinccino is <33

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Mar 22, 2024
Lillipup for sure - not only is it adorable but its design is based on the Yorkshire Terrier, which is the same kind of dog I have! It evolves in a very similar fashion to most starter Pokémon too (3 stages, evolves at 16 and 32 - pretty close to the usual 17 and 36).

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
I think Zorua! It's really fun and it's a unique Pokemon as well. Other than Zorua, maybe Minccino? If it were allowed to have its Hidden Ability. Skill Link Cinccino is <33
Damn if Skill Link Minccino was a starter... the games would need to become a lot harder lmao. It totally outclassed the starters as is!

Back