• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What generation will this game be a part of?

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 21, 2021
    I think a likely scenario is that at the very least we'll get another post-game episode where Zygarde and AZ (and his Floette) show up (so perhaps Zygarde's formes will be a thing, just in the post-game).....and I'm guessing Pokemon Bank may allow for some kind of backwards compatibility (like how gen 1 and 2 worked) so you'll be able to send Zygarde and AZs Floette back to the gen 6 games. (with the moves that haven't been available yet)

I don't know about actually going back to Kalos like some people are saying, but I'm expecting the above at the very least.

Keromatsu

Froakie is Awesome!
    Years
    • Seen Jan 28, 2021
    Actually it's confirmed to be Generation 7! Yay new Pokemon to collect for my Living Dex!

Years
    • Seen Aug 6, 2016
    From seeing the trailer, it doesn't seem like it's a new generation.
    I looks like it'll be a completely new format. Maybe all generations put together? I know it sounds ridiculous, but the announcer did say "It all comes together in a new _____" forgot what his exact words were but it's along these lines. Considering it's the 20th anniversary, that also helps this theory. The only thing that kinda debunks it is the introduction of new Pokemon. specifically that bird.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
    I'm waiting until official confirmation instead of assuming it's gen 7.
    They said it's a new "era". Generations are a fan made term so they won't use it in their confirmation. Similarly they said BW were a 'reboot', and XY were an 'evolution' of the franchise soon after they were announced.

TCB

Tranquilo.
    Years
    Yeah it's pretty much confirmed these games mark the seventh generation of the series. Of course, and until proven otherwise, I'm still in the belief that this new region still ties into Kalos in some sort of way. From the hints and clues from Thursday anyway.

Years
    Sun & Moon are in my mind 7th gen. IGN also speculated that we could be seeing a tropical region for these games which would be interesting. I also think they should bring back branching routes since the last two generations we didn't really see this.

Years
    • Seen May 17, 2016
    If these turn out to be completely new games with no ties to Kalos whatsoever I think that at some point in the future, maybe a year or so after these are released, Kalos could be re-explored with Z or sequels. While unlikely, it isn't something to rule out. We still don't know that these aren't Kalos games or XY sequels so I am not going to speculate on it too much.
    Lol good luck with that

François2

#FutureSun&MoonMod
    Years
    I hope it's Gen VII. I mean, not to sound close-minded and all, but what else is there to explore of Kalos besides Zygarde and it's relationship between it and Yveltal and Xerneas? It's all the more possible that they can incorporate some Gen VI legends into the next generation, and this would honestly be the more preferred route for me.

I mean, it's worth noting that there's very little to explore in any sequel outside of the third main legend of each generation - Platinum existed primarily to tell us where Giratina fit in the universe and B2/W2 existed to explain the origin of Kyurem as well as why he seemed so incomplete in the original games. "What's the deal with Zygarde?" is a worthwhile basis for a sequel, assuming you consider the sequels in gen 4/5 to have been worthwhile.

I'm a tad confused as to why everyone is saying "Kalos seems so complete already!". I can't see a huge difference between it and the other regions in terms of how much we can get out of a sequel(s). The sixth generation does seem very lacking in comparison to the generations before it, but to me that's primarily because... it's not actually had its sequel yet. It's only half a generation by usual standards.

They could incorporate the legends of generation six into the next one, but that'd be unprecedented (as far as I know?) and it'd just be overall quite odd... I mean leaving everything else aside, I'd rather not have the generation seven games bogged down in explaining legends from a previous generation to us. I can't really imagine that anyone would be happy with a legend from a previous generation taking focus away from an actually new storyline... frankly I'd rather they never expanded on generation six than drag it into generation seven.

Years
    TPC referred to is as a new era which is a synonym for Generation. We have had new forms for old Pokémon in new a new Generation *Unown* so this will happen with Zygarde. This is no theory. Have you ever heard of a sequel with brand new Pokémon? Exactly. Sure, Magearna was revealed early, but this only happened to Munchlax because DP were supposed to be released the following year. Brand new Pokémon, a brand new world.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen May 11, 2023
    I mostly expect (and hope!) that these games will form the second half of Gen 6. It'd be a shame to leave the Gen 6 Pokédex at such a low number of Pokémon and it feels like a second half to the Pokédex is what they had planned all along. Only introducing one Eeveelution was strange enough but in general I would love to see an expansion on the tiny number of Pokémon introduced.

Spoiler:
    wtf

Years
    I mostly expect (and hope!) that these games will form the second half of Gen 6. It'd be a shame to leave the Gen 6 Pokédex at such a low number of Pokémon and it feels like a second half to the Pokédex is what they had planned all along. Only introducing one Eeveelution was strange enough but in general I would love to see an expansion on the tiny number of Pokémon introduced.

wtf

Unless you count megas, it is more likely that they saved some Pokémon for Gen 7.

Back