• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What Hex Editor do you use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hiche..

Years
    • Seen Dec 27, 2014
    Lol. Can I post questions here too?
    In HW, there is something called "Big Endian Byte Order" it's icon is like the Motorola's phone.
    What is that for?

X-aveon

IS BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Years
    • Seen Jun 25, 2012
    I'm currently using two: Thingy (for when I get lazy and want to text edit using a table file), and then Cygnus (which is basically the same thing as Hex Workshop... because when I used HW I got a trial version... is there a non-trial version, considering almost everyone here prefer it?)

X-aveon, good to know that I'm not the only one who uses it, also ;P

YAY! Someone else uses Cygnus! I'd advise anyone uses cygnus.
    The only thing different about Cygnus is that it doesn't color the
    hexes you went over at that time.

I use Cygnus for everything, practically.

I used XVI32, Hexecute, Hex Workshop, and others.

I found Cygnus to be the best, besides. Its free!

Joey the Cockroach

Dino Crisis will never die!!!!
    Years
  • i used to use a hex editor that came with the tools, but then i changed to XVI32. so i found this to be very good imo, because you can even copy and paste blocks of hex data into different places. very useful in fact.

Years
    • Seen Jan 3, 2010
    I use Translhextion. I used Hex Workshop for a while, but got too much used to Translhextion and rolled back to it.

GKS

Retired Hacker
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2013
    Hex workshop after my trial version on Flex Hex ran out.

Green Charizard

pɹɐzıɹɐɥɔ uǝǝɹƃ
    Years
  • YAY! Someone else uses Cygnus! I'd advise anyone uses cygnus.
    The only thing different about Cygnus is that it doesn't color the
    hexes you went over at that time.

I use Cygnus for everything, practically.

I used XVI32, Hexecute, Hex Workshop, and others.

I found Cygnus to be the best, besides. Its free!

I use it too. For no more of a reason than I needed a free hex-editor, and it came up on Google. I started using it, probably about two years ago, and I haven't used another hex editor since. It's well laid out, clean and quick. Top notch for a free hex editor.

When i was a hacking newbie I did use translhextion, but I much prefer Cygnus.

IIMarckus

J946@5488AA97464
    Years
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    Lol. Can I post questions here too?
    In HW, there is something called "Big Endian Byte Order" it's icon is like the Motorola's phone.
    What is that for?
    Some computer architectures read the lowest byte of a number first; this makes certain things like addition much quicker and simpler on the processor level than the big‐endian order does. The GBC and I believe the GBA are examples of little‐endian processors—you may notice that when working with pointers, etc. you have to swap some of the bytes around rather than use the straight number. So 2350d in hexadecimal can be 0x092E (big‐endian) or 0x2E09 (little‐endian).

AmusedRaccoon

Dilettante
    Years
    • Seen Sep 16, 2015
    Some computer architectures read the lowest byte of a number first; this makes certain things like addition much quicker and simpler on the processor level than the big‐endian order does. The GBC and I believe the GBA are examples of little‐endian processors—you may notice that when working with pointers, etc. you have to swap some of the bytes around rather than use the straight number. So 2350d in hexadecimal can be 0x092E (big‐endian) or 0x2E09 (little‐endian).

Wait, so can Hex Workshop switch those around for you, or does it just tell you which byte order your ROM is using?

Well, I guess switching them around would be sort of confusing and not very practical..

Anyway, not that I've got any real experience to speak of, but I've played around with Hexecute, Hexpose, and Translhextion, ad so far I like the latter the best. Seems most people use Workshop and Cygnus, though...

Also, it'd be cool if this were an actual poll. :O

Sierraffinity

Desperately trying to retire from ROM hacking
    Years
  • I used Hexecute, but it was glitchy, so I switched to Hex Workshop, but my trial ran out, so I went to AptEdit Pro (from GiveawayOfTheDay, so it was full version, but completely free), but that program had a habit of deleting my game sometimes (thank goodness I remembered to backup!), so I went to Translhexion, and then, finally, I found a great program called HxD (some of you on here have it) and I've been using it ever since, with (so far) no errors, glitches, or bugs.

That was a huge sentence!!!!!!!!!!!

michaelh

Script Ninja-in-training
    Years
    • Seen Feb 17, 2014
    I'm a user of XVI32 mostly, it's free, fast, and gets the job done. I do use ghex or khexedit under Linux sometimes though.

XVI32 is also much smaller than alternatives such as Hex Workshop, which, while having a few more features, is almost 4 times the size of XVI32

Last edited:

Pokepal17

More cowbell~
    Years
  • I used to use Cygnus because I needed a Hex Editor for palette editing. Now I use Hex Workshop, which is just totally awesome.

Ahegil

The Breeder Chick
    Years
    • Seen May 30, 2016
    i use programmers notepad not really a hex editor but i do alot of programming and its got some good apps for hex editing

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back